Why can't people get this intersection right?

Started by Crash_It, November 14, 2020, 05:17:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Crash_It on November 16, 2020, 01:54:59 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 15, 2020, 07:40:00 PM
Quote from: Crash_It on November 15, 2020, 06:59:43 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 15, 2020, 02:51:12 PM
Quote from: Crash_It on November 15, 2020, 02:23:54 PM
Quote from: renegade on November 15, 2020, 01:06:24 PM
Thought I'd leave this here ...

From the Illinois Vehicle Code:

Sec. 12-601. Horns and warning devices.
    (a) Every motor vehicle when operated upon a highway shall be equipped with a horn in good working order and capable of emitting sound audible under normal conditions from a distance of not less than 200 feet, but no horn or other warning device shall emit an unreasonable loud or harsh sound or a whistle. The driver of a motor vehicle shall when reasonably necessary to insure safe operation give audible warning with his horn but shall not otherwise use such horn when upon a highway.

(emphasis added)

:popcorn:

And that's what I do. If I feel my safety is compromised by the actions of another driver... I use it.

Maybe you shouldn't drive if you can't control your anger and focus on the road.  Your actions have zero to do with "reasonableness" or "safety."

So you're completely fine with a driver being stopped in an active lane? This has nothing to do with anger

I'm more fine with how the overwhelming majority others drive compared to what you demonstrate.  You often drive like a jerk and you frequency display a tendency towards road rage. 

Also, you dodged my question in the last thread.   What makes you authority to judge anyone's driving ability?  You clearly don't understand the things you do wrong which raises the question about what your actual qualifications are.

Because I deny any reality that isn't my own, even the cop agreed with me on that

K Fritz...

jeffandnicole

In regards to the video of the ticket...

The cop said he agreed that it was fine honking the horn.  But, that's not what the issue is about here when it comes to the tickets.  The real issue is that you tried to cut her off after you passed her, which is why you were given the ticket for improper lane usage.  The ticket she got may be for one of those infractions you mentioned in the video.  Whatever it was, it's probably the same fine and same number of points as your ticket.  Don't think she got more than one ticket.

In court, I could see it going like this: 

A) The cop doesn't show up because he thinks this whole issue is stupid.
B) The judge doesn't care and throws out both tickets because he thinks this whole thing is stupid.

After that, it may not go well for you:

C) The judge thinks you initiated the issue.  He may say you blew the horn excessively, and early, because you weren't even behind her at the time.  If you rolled up behind her and tapped the horn, everything would've been fine. 

D) The judge thinks you initiated the issue by speeding past her and immediately cutting into her lane.  You have a lane ahead of you and had no reason to switch lanes.

You are, of course, going to think she initiated the issue by stopping in a thru lane.  In which case...

E) The judge believes she initiated the issue by stopping in a thru lane.

Remember...you stated on that video at 2:57 that "You almost slammed into the back of her".  At first, you were quite a distance away from her and started blowing the horn.  You blew the horn for OVER 6 SECONDS.  She could easily have been confused at that which is why she slammed on the brakes, when you almost did hit her. 

Assuming you sent the cop the entire video from start to finish, he's probably going to review the first 15 seconds and get a good idea what happened.  He may even show it to others in the station.  Honestly, I don't see how a reasonable officer would find you completely innocent here.

As an aside, she initially reported you as a Reckless driver.  To the police, this would be considered a possibly impaired driver on drugs or alcohol.   It appears the cop caught up to you and followed you for a while. It appears you were driving more like a sane driver while the cop watched, and didn't see any obvious signs of impairment.  When he approached the car, he obviously didn't seem very concerned in his tone of voice, and figured this was just a minor issue which he'll just tell both drivers to remain relaxed and calm while driving, and everyone just takes off.  Unfortunately, it didn't work out that way.

Crash_It

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 16, 2020, 02:26:10 PM
In regards to the video of the ticket...

The cop said he agreed that it was fine honking the horn.  But, that's not what the issue is about here when it comes to the tickets.  The real issue is that you tried to cut her off after you passed her, which is why you were given the ticket for improper lane usage.  The ticket she got may be for one of those infractions you mentioned in the video.  Whatever it was, it's probably the same fine and same number of points as your ticket.  Don't think she got more than one ticket.

In court, I could see it going like this: 

A) The cop doesn't show up because he thinks this whole issue is stupid.
B) The judge doesn't care and throws out both tickets because he thinks this whole thing is stupid.

After that, it may not go well for you:

C) The judge thinks you initiated the issue.  He may say you blew the horn excessively, and early, because you weren't even behind her at the time.  If you rolled up behind her and tapped the horn, everything would've been fine. 

D) The judge thinks you initiated the issue by speeding past her and immediately cutting into her lane.  You have a lane ahead of you and had no reason to switch lanes.

You are, of course, going to think she initiated the issue by stopping in a thru lane.  In which case...

E) The judge believes she initiated the issue by stopping in a thru lane.

Remember...you stated on that video at 2:57 that "You almost slammed into the back of her".  At first, you were quite a distance away from her and started blowing the horn.  You blew the horn for OVER 6 SECONDS.  She could easily have been confused at that which is why she slammed on the brakes, when you almost did hit her. 

Assuming you sent the cop the entire video from start to finish, he's probably going to review the first 15 seconds and get a good idea what happened.  He may even show it to others in the station.  Honestly, I don't see how a reasonable officer would find you completely innocent here.

As an aside, she initially reported you as a Reckless driver.  To the police, this would be considered a possibly impaired driver on drugs or alcohol.   It appears the cop caught up to you and followed you for a while. It appears you were driving more like a sane driver while the cop watched, and didn't see any obvious signs of impairment.  When he approached the car, he obviously didn't seem very concerned in his tone of voice, and figured this was just a minor issue which he'll just tell both drivers to remain relaxed and calm while driving, and everyone just takes off.  Unfortunately, it didn't work out that way.

The whole issue is she did cross a solid white line to begin with which is illegal in IL. If she never crossed the solid white, it never would've been an issue after her sitting in the thru lane. He ticketed both of us because she insisted that he do so.

corco

Seriously, why do you honk your horn so long? People aren't deaf - I'm not opposed to horn honking, but a quick tap or two is all you need to get peoples' attention unless your life is actually in imminent danger and the sound of a horn might cause the driver to correct their action and save your life (e.g. somebody attempting to change lanes into you at speed when you have nowhere to go). 

It just seems really rude, not just to the car you believe is misbehaving but to any adjacent pedestrians/passersby/businesses/etc. From your videos I feel like you approach life as if it is a video game and the only thing that matters is you and whatever vehicle you're attempting to shame. The folks behind the wheel are also humans going through life, you don't know who they are or what kind of day they're having - they almost certainly don't deserve to have somebody lay a horn on them for several seconds because of some minor transgression where nobody's life was actually in danger. It's kind of sad, really.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Crash_It on November 16, 2020, 04:27:27 PM
The whole issue is she did cross a solid white line to begin with which is illegal in IL. If she never crossed the solid white, it never would've been an issue after her sitting in the thru lane. He ticketed both of us because she insisted that he do so.

You may want to get your story straight.  I thought the whole issue was she was stopped in a turning lane with a green arrow that permitted her to continue.  You weren't blowing your horn when she was sitting still while simultaneously crossing the white line.

BTW, the worst thing that may come out of this is that your videos are known to the local police department.  During the traffic stop you asked if you could post this video to Youtube.  Anything public on the internet can be used against you, without a search warrant.

Overall, a cop on traffic patrol has two goals: 1) Make it home alive.  2) Get promoted out of traffic patrol.  Traffic patrol is the lowest of police duties, and they are generally just paying their dues.  If the cop here is sitting on the side of the road "searching for violators" (3 hour lunch break), they also have time to give this case a little thought...and see if they can find the video.  If they come upon an entire series of Youtube videos primarily showing you honking your horn, it's going to be a fun day in court for people that are not you.

Honestly, I don't see that happening...but it's possible.

renegade

OP can defend it any way they see fit.  OP is still a dick.  I'm not going to waste any more of my time with this thread or the other one.  I'm just thankful I don't have to be on the same roads with this miserable person.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

GaryV

Quote from: corco on November 16, 2020, 04:50:45 PM
Seriously, why do you honk your horn so long? //snipped//

Exactly.  If the OP showed a little more empathy instead of trying to point out faults, the whole "Karen" incident might not have happened.

About 2/3's of the incidents shown in his videos, while technically the other driver may be in the wrong, could be entirely avoided by just using a little common sense and defensive driving.

Crash_It

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 16, 2020, 05:51:28 PM

You may want to get your story straight.  I thought the whole issue was she was stopped in a turning lane with a green arrow that permitted her to continue.  You weren't blowing your horn when she was sitting still while simultaneously crossing the white line.

BTW, the worst thing that may come out of this is that your videos are known to the local police department.  During the traffic stop you asked if you could post this video to Youtube.  Anything public on the internet can be used against you, without a search warrant.

Overall, a cop on traffic patrol has two goals: 1) Make it home alive.  2) Get promoted out of traffic patrol.  Traffic patrol is the lowest of police duties, and they are generally just paying their dues.  If the cop here is sitting on the side of the road "searching for violators" (3 hour lunch break), they also have time to give this case a little thought...and see if they can find the video.  If they come upon an entire series of Youtube videos primarily showing you honking your horn, it's going to be a fun day in court for people that are not you.

Honestly, I don't see that happening...but it's possible.

She was stopped in the lane, then after that she crossed the solid white line. If she hadn't done that...there wouldn't have been the perceived "improper lane usage". The cop already has the footage of the incident, he had me send it to him.

fwydriver405

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 16, 2020, 05:51:28 PM

I know of a case not too long ago with a Youtuber, SpaztasticTV, of a similar situation you mentioned above. Kept being called out by other YT'ers of his reckless driving and being in denial of his driving habits. It took notification from other concerned people and monitoring by the Utah Highway Patrol to actually arrest and charge him with reckless driving.

https://www.dailydot.com/upstream/spaztastictv-reckless-driving-youtube/

Example videos:
Brake Chacked
Impala Drivers Suck
Kia Stinger Drivers Suck
So I had to go to work today.
Speed limit 70

kphoger

The whole issue is she did cross a solid white line to begin with which is illegal in IL. If she never crossed the solid white, it never would've been an issue after her sitting in the thru lane.

I am unfamiliar with such a law in Illinois.  I also just went through the vehicle code (625 ILCS 5) to make sure I wasn't forgetting anything.  Please provide a reference to the Illinois law prohibiting the crossing of a solid white line.

What I do see is evidence that crossing a single solid white line is discouraged but not prohibited.  References shown below:

Quote from: MUTCD 2009 Edition, Chapter 3B
Section 3B.04 White Lane Line Pavement Markings and Warrants

20   Where crossing the lane line markings is discouraged, the lane line markings shall consist of a normal or wide solid white line.

30   Where crossing the lane line markings is prohibited, the lane line markings shall consist of a solid double white line (see Figure 3B-12).

Quote from: Illinois Supplement to the National Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices, 2009 Edition
As noted in the preceding certification, the 2009 edition of the Illinois Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (IMUTCD) consists of the December 2009 national Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD), including subsequent official revisions thereto, as amended by this Illinois Supplement to the MUTCD.

[...]

PART 3
Markings

(No revisions)
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jeffandnicole

A friend of mine here in NJ had an issue with someone crossing the solid line at a gore point (I forget the exact issue).  He was pissed off about it, and made a phone call to NJSP.

They asked...was the gore point just marked with the white lines, or were there hash marks within the gore point? 

Apparently, in NJ, the interpretation of the law is that if it's only a solid line at a gore point, it's not a violation.  If there are hash marks, then that makes it a violation.

I don't know what the true difference is, if this is actually written in state statutes somewhere, or if the person who was speaking on the phone was actually correct in his response.  That said, it does provide some guidance as to why a cop may not be interested in someone who's crossing a single white line on a roadway, or even the gore point at an exit.

(Note...this doesn't apply to the shoulder line, which is much clearer is its illegality to cross in NJ)

(Note #2:  This person also gets pissed off at a 4 way stop he goes thru where people tend to not exactly stop...which is quite normal at 4 way stops.  He called his cop friend and bitched to him about it.  One morning, his cop friend sat off to the side of the intersection.  My buddy went thru and saw him.  My buddy called him shortly thereafter, thanking him for watching for violators.  Note #2A:  My buddy made that phone call while driving, which is illegal to do in the state.  Note #2B:  I know the cop as well.  He went there to appease our friend.  He left just after our friend saw him.  He wasn't interested in the slow roll most people do there.)

kphoger

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 20, 2020, 04:10:48 PM
I don't know what the true difference is, if this is actually written in state statutes somewhere, or if the person who was speaking on the phone was actually correct in his response.

Very reasonable questions to have.  In my experience, officers and dispatchers have little off-the-cuff knowledge of vehicle code minutiae.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jakeroot

I'm surprised how long it took for someone to note that it is, in fact, not illegal to cross a solid white line. Discouraged, but not illegal. Discouraged seems to be legalese for "go ahead, but if you crash while doing it, you'll likely be at fault".

As to the "Karen" incident -- it never needed to happen. There was room to go around. I go around at this add-lane all the time, as drivers are waiting to cross a lane of traffic to reach a left turn. It's pretty obvious she wanted the left lane. It happens a lot. If after 20+ years of driving, you can't deal with that, I feel sorry for you. "I got 99 problems" but knowing the width of my car isn't one.

As to the "butthurt over a honk" -- if I started yelling at someone for cutting in a line, and then even after they walked out of the line I kept yelling at them, would it count as being "butthurt" if they flipped me the bird? No, obviously not. I was being a dick. I made my point, and they left the line. Me continuing to wine after the fact is simply me being a dickhead, and I would deserve whatever response was coming to me from that point on. She brake-checked you because you continued to honk even after she correct her "error". And then you proceeded to wildly overreact.

The YouTube videos were annoying at first. Now they're just funny. I cannot believe there are people out there who are so inept at driving that, even after 20 years, they continue to get into silly incidents that, even at 17, I knew how to avoid.

Crash_It

Quote from: jakeroot on November 20, 2020, 05:45:02 PM
I'm surprised how long it took for someone to note that it is, in fact, not illegal to cross a solid white line. Discouraged, but not illegal. Discouraged seems to be legalese for "go ahead, but if you crash while doing it, you'll likely be at fault".

As to the "Karen" incident -- it never needed to happen. There was room to go around. I go around at this add-lane all the time, as drivers are waiting to cross a lane of traffic to reach a left turn. It's pretty obvious she wanted the left lane. It happens a lot. If after 20+ years of driving, you can't deal with that, I feel sorry for you. "I got 99 problems" but knowing the width of my car isn't one.

As to the "butthurt over a honk" -- if I started yelling at someone for cutting in a line, and then even after they walked out of the line I kept yelling at them, would it count as being "butthurt" if they flipped me the bird? No, obviously not. I was being a dick. I made my point, and they left the line. Me continuing to wine after the fact is simply me being a dickhead, and I would deserve whatever response was coming to me from that point on. She brake-checked you because you continued to honk even after she correct her "error". And then you proceeded to wildly overreact.

The YouTube videos were annoying at first. Now they're just funny. I cannot believe there are people out there who are so inept at driving that, even after 20 years, they continue to get into silly incidents that, even at 17, I knew how to avoid.

It would've been avoided by her just not stopping there in the first place like any normal driver would. The very first time I encountered that intersection I didn't stop at it. People also don't goof up the other intersection maybe about a mile away from that one. They also don't goof up the other one which is in the Chicago area, granted..I've only came across that one once.

jakeroot

Quote from: Crash_It on November 21, 2020, 12:45:16 PM
It would've been avoided by her just not stopping there in the first place like any normal driver would. The very first time I encountered that intersection I didn't stop at it. People also don't goof up the other intersection maybe about a mile away from that one. They also don't goof up the other one which is in the Chicago area, granted..I've only came across that one once.

But I'm telling you, people aren't "goofing up" by stopping in them. 99% of the time, they just need to turn left immediately afterwards, so they pull off to the hard left to allow traffic to pass on their right. Ever noticed how wide slip lanes are? Or sometimes, they just stop in the middle, like these two drivers (note they are both looking at traffic). Still, it's a very common thing. And if your default reaction is what we saw in the video...well, it's no wonder you get the cops called on you. Your reaction was needlessly aggressive. It's a wonder you haven't had your license revoked. Any other driver would have simply...you know...gone around. But no, you have clips to make! :-D

I find this whole thing rather ironic. Someone posting every little mistake drivers make on YouTube, yet refuses to admit any mistakes they also make. That's some bad karma, my friend. Maybe tone it down before you get yourself hurt by someone with nothing to lose.

Max Rockatansky

^^^

Hence my comment in one of these threads that this guy is the FritzOwl of cammers.  The only reality that matters is the one built around a mountain of ego and self importance. 

hotdogPi

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 21, 2020, 09:05:01 PM
^^^

Hence my comment in one of these threads that this guy is the FritzOwl of cammers.  The only reality that matters is the one built around a mountain of ego and self importance.

There's a major difference here: FritzOwl won't even try to defend himself. He'll just pretend that you didn't type anything critical of him.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: 1 on November 21, 2020, 09:05:59 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 21, 2020, 09:05:01 PM
^^^

There's a major difference here: FritzOwl won't even try to defend himself. He'll just pretend that you didn't type anything critical of him.

That's true, at least Fritz doesn't try to convince anyone else that he's right and everyone else is wrong. 

Crash_It

Quote from: jakeroot on November 21, 2020, 07:36:23 PM

But I'm telling you, people aren't "goofing up" by stopping in them. 99% of the time, they just need to turn left immediately afterwards, so they pull off to the hard left to allow traffic to pass on their right. Ever noticed how wide slip lanes are? Or sometimes, they just stop in the middle, like these two drivers (note they are both looking at traffic). Still, it's a very common thing. And if your default reaction is what we saw in the video...well, it's no wonder you get the cops called on you. Your reaction was needlessly aggressive. It's a wonder you haven't had your license revoked. Any other driver would have simply...you know...gone around. But no, you have clips to make! :-D

I find this whole thing rather ironic. Someone posting every little mistake drivers make on YouTube, yet refuses to admit any mistakes they also make. That's some bad karma, my friend. Maybe tone it down before you get yourself hurt by someone with nothing to lose.

That's not the case at that intersection, there isn't even anywhere to turn left until after the slip lane ends. My reaction was normal and that's what the cop said. There are just dumb drivers out there.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: Crash_It on November 21, 2020, 09:58:49 PM

That's not the case at that intersection, there isn't even anywhere to turn left until after the slip lane ends. My reaction was normal and that's what the cop said. There are just dumb drivers out there.
Bull. The police officer even acted appealed by your behavior. You are blind and I can't until you are tried in court for reckless driving. Maybe that will wake you up before you cause a major accident or worse.

Crash_It

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on November 21, 2020, 10:13:27 PM

Bull. The police officer even acted appealed by your behavior. You are blind and I can't until you are tried in court for reckless driving. Maybe that will wake you up before you cause a major accident or worse.

No, he said that he had no issue with the honking of the horn. Watch the video again. I've never been at fault in  any accidents I've been in and I've been driving since the early '00s

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Crash_It on November 21, 2020, 11:02:38 PM

No, he said that he had no issue with the honking of the horn. Watch the video again. I've never been at fault in  any accidents I've been in and I've been driving since the early '00s

It's not exactly normal to have been in a bunch of accidents, you might want to get introspective on that line you just threw out.  But then again you strike me as arrogant as all hell, why would any of them be YOUR fault?

compdude787

Dude, you definitely honk on the horn way too long. I like to think that I'm not too shy about using the horn, but I've never, ever, laid on the horn for as many as five seconds like you did. I'm not surprised that that lady reacted the way she did.

Plutonic Panda

He might have said he doesn't have an issue with people honking horns but he definitely felt some type of way and honestly I gathered that from the video. Do you man and have fun but I'm telling you, you are going to do this to the wrong person one day who will have no problem getting down and doesn't care about any consequences.

Oh, and as Max said, it's weird how you have so many of these "incidents"  whilst the majority of other drivers are somehow able to get by without all the drama. I guess you're the woke one and everyone else is a sheep. Keep honking that horn bro... keep honking away.

Crash_It

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 21, 2020, 11:30:54 PM

Bull. The police officer even acted appealed by your behavior. You are blind and I can’t until you are tried in court for reckless driving. Maybe that will wake you up before you cause a major accident or worse.

It’s not exactly normal to have been in a bunch of accidents, you might want to get introspective on that line you just threw out.  But then again you strike me as arrogant as all hell, why would any of them be YOUR fault?

I've only been in three accidents and they are on my channel. Not my fault

here's one of them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLekY7-Ljko

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.