News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Random Thoughts

Started by kenarmy, March 29, 2021, 10:25:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: snowc on November 17, 2021, 07:37:40 PM
Quote from: renegade on November 17, 2021, 07:28:56 PM
Quote from: snowc on November 17, 2021, 06:59:45 PM
Oh deer.
The whole North Pole is trying to reel from another car crash!  :ded: :poke: :pan:
Gotta go to Tarheel Collison tomorrow to get a quote for it.  :ded:Poor car.  :rolleyes:
Wish I knew what any of that means.
My father got into a SERIOUS car crash. It caused a total loss and needs to be repaired.  :pan: :-(

A total loss of your father or the car? 

snowc

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 17, 2021, 07:41:32 PM
Quote from: snowc on November 17, 2021, 07:37:40 PM
Quote from: renegade on November 17, 2021, 07:28:56 PM
Oh deer.
The whole North Pole is trying to reel from another car crash!  :ded: :poke: :pan:
Gotta go to Tarheel Collison tomorrow to get a quote for it.  :ded:Poor car.  :rolleyes:
Wish I knew what any of that means.
My father got into a SERIOUS car crash. It caused a total loss and needs to be repaired.  :pan: :-(

A total loss of your father or the car?
the car!

kkt

Quote from: 1 on November 17, 2021, 04:17:14 PM
Silver quarters: for when you want to give a tip to a server directly but that location pools tips

(no, I haven't actually done this)

Lots and lots of people would miss that it's silver.  Silver coins hardly ever appear in change anymore for the past half a century.  Most likely the server would call you a skinflint, while the beneficiary of your largesse would be the cashier where the server shops, or the bank where some business that accepted the quarter from the server made their deposits.

Scott5114

The whole North Pole is trying to reel from another car crash!

Back when I worked on them for a living, I remember a few slot machines that were "trying to reel" (and failing at it).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

formulanone

Quote from: kkt on November 17, 2021, 09:51:26 PM
Silver quarters: for when you want to give a tip to a server directly but that location pools tips

Lots and lots of people would miss that it's silver.  Silver coins hardly ever appear in change anymore for the past half a century.  Most likely the server would call you a skinflint, while the beneficiary of your largesse would be the cashier where the server shops, or the bank where some business that accepted the quarter from the server made their deposits.

The few pieces of silver coinage I've collected from circulation were probably Very Good to Fine, at best...thus, hardly tip money. Doubtful someone's going to bother appraising/selling it for $1-2 in return (if even that much).

Scott5114

Quote from: formulanone on November 18, 2021, 03:40:13 PM
Quote from: kkt on November 17, 2021, 09:51:26 PM

The few pieces of silver coinage I've collected from circulation were probably Very Good to Fine, at best...thus, hardly tip money. Doubtful someone's going to bother appraising/selling it for $1-2 in return (if even that much).

I've collected a decent amount of it over the years. Definitely wouldn't be worth finding a place to buy it for one coin, but if I sold all of it I could get maybe $30 for about $3.75 worth of cost. Nice profit margin, but not the gross isn't enough that I've gotten off my ass to find a way to realize that gain, even after not having any income for a year. So in the meantime, they sit in the safe.

hotdogPi

Control city for I-90 west as you're crossing from Wisconsin into Minnesota:

Common sense: Rochester
MnDOT: Albert Lea
ran4sh: Minneapolis
HighwayStar: Sioux Falls
FritzOwl: Reroute to and sign as Mankato
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: 1 on November 28, 2021, 07:51:28 PM
Control city for I-90 west as you're crossing from Wisconsin into Minnesota:

Common sense: Rochester
MnDOT: Albert Lea

WisDOT also uses Albert Lea at the 90/94 split in Tomah. Control cities are often about travel patterns as much as "common sense".

HighwayStar: Sioux Falls

I-90 technically enters Albert Lea city limits where the limits jut north along CSAH 22, and three of the four ramps at the CSAH 22 interchange are also in city limits.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Scott5114

I wish browsers would acknowledge strikethrough over images, perhaps by putting a thick diagonal slash over them. It would be useful for things like the various road sign games here, so that you could reply to an image and comment on it without others thinking it's the image they need to play off of, or mark it as an invalid play.

kurumi

Here's a use case that I wish Google Maps or similar would support (maybe one of them does):

I'm on Highway X (a road trip) and want to grab a quick lunch within the next hour. Show me good BBQ/Mexican/etc. places along the way in my direction, within 2 miles of an interchange.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

formulanone

Quote from: kurumi on December 02, 2021, 02:32:24 PM
Here's a use case that I wish Google Maps or similar would support (maybe one of them does):

I'm on Highway X (a road trip) and want to grab a quick lunch within the next hour. Show me good BBQ/Mexican/etc. places along the way in my direction, within 2 miles of an interchange.

Google Maps does something similar; though it's not always super-specific. The range is close if there's a lot of choices for a vague search, but can stretch out a considerable distance if one searches for "Shake Shack" and your location is near "Pine Bluff, Arkansas".

If I punch up a "gas station" 5 miles from an airport, it will oblige. (I'm not brand-picky for rental cars.)

hotdogPi

Quote from: formulanone on December 02, 2021, 05:43:11 PM

Google Maps does something similar; though it's not always super-specific. The range is close if there's a lot of choices for a vague search, but can stretch out a considerable distance if one searches for "Shake Shacks" near "Pine Bluff, Arkansas".

If I punch up a "gas station" 5 miles from an airport, it will oblige (I'm not brand-picky for rental cars.)

Can it do it along your corridor and not just at your current location, though?

formulanone

Quote from: 1 on December 02, 2021, 05:44:13 PM
Quote from: formulanone on December 02, 2021, 05:43:11 PM

Google Maps does something similar; though it's not always super-specific. The range is close if there's a lot of choices for a vague search, but can stretch out a considerable distance if one searches for "Shake Shacks" near "Pine Bluff, Arkansas".

If I punch up a "gas station" 5 miles from an airport, it will oblige (I'm not brand-picky for rental cars.)

Can it do it along your corridor and not just at your current location, though?

Not really, unless the retail locations are all along a route and the environs are otherwise bereft of choices (think: rural interstate).

Flint1979

Hope everyone's city is having a better night than Saginaw is having. So far someone was shot in the head at a Family Dollar on the other side of town from me and all you can hear in the distance is gun shots and sirens.

Big John

If a live oak tree dies, is it called a dead oak tree?

Max Rockatansky

Why are so many places called "Insert Name Park"  or "Insert Name Heights"  when they clearly have nothing to with a park or a place of high elevation?

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 31, 2021, 11:11:12 PM
Why are so many places called "Insert Name Park"  or "Insert Name Heights"  when they clearly have nothing to with a park or a place of high elevation?

Heh, in MSP we have those right next to each other with Inver Grove Heights and St. Paul Park.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Flint1979

I think of the Detroit suburbs with this. Highland Park, Grosse Pointe Park, Allen Park, Lincoln Park, Oak Park, Hazel Park, Dearborn Heights, Sterling Heights and so on.

hotdogPi

Interestingly, it doesn't happen in New England.

kenarmy

Ok but yall where is a place where you can find regular updates on route changes, truncations and stuff on mainly US routes?
Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

Takumi

Quote from: kenarmy on January 05, 2022, 06:52:12 PM
Ok but yall where is a place where you can find regular updates on route changes, truncations and stuff on mainly US routes?
General Highway Talk
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

D-Dey65

How many people know that Medford, New York has a private road that's actually named "Private Road?"

I've seen old Hagstrom's maps indicating that it had another name years ago, but the Town of Brookhaven officially names it "Private Road."

wanderer2575

Quote from: Flint1979 on January 01, 2022, 07:21:41 AM
I think of the Detroit suburbs with this. Highland Park, Grosse Pointe Park, Allen Park, Lincoln Park, Oak Park, Hazel Park, Dearborn Heights, Sterling Heights and so on.

I submit that it's done simply to make the place sound more appealing.  Same with naming a street as "terrace," "crescent," "trail," "way," etc. instead of simply "street."  Or ridiculously soothing names such as "Whispering Oaks Drive" (I believe there is a recent thread in the General Highway Talk board about this).  Or pretentious subdivision names such as "Pebble Creek Estates at Heritage Point" (with bonus points if they add superfluous "e"s such as "Pointe").

zachary_amaryllis

one of the scungiest trailer parks in my town is called 'stone crest'.

of course, we can't call them trailer parks. now they're 'manufactured home communities'. generally inhabited by 'justice-involved' people.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

D-Dey65

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on January 07, 2022, 12:30:02 PM
one of the scungiest trailer parks in my town is called 'stone crest'.

of course, we can't call them trailer parks. now they're 'manufactured home communities'. generally inhabited by 'justice-involved' people.
Actually, there's a genuine difference between the two. The mobile homes are the stuff you see in trailer parks. The manufactured homes are two halves of a house hauled on trailers that are removed when they get to a designated spot and attached together.

I'd love to see a tandem of manufactured homes someday.  :)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.