Rothman

Quote from: HighwayStar on September 15, 2021, 11:41:28 PM
Quote from: kenarmy on September 15, 2021, 11:07:18 PM
Quote from: HighwayStar on September 15, 2021, 10:55:32 PM
Quote from: Rothman on September 15, 2021, 10:52:59 PM
Quote from: HighwayStar on September 15, 2021, 10:51:09 PM
Quote from: kenarmy on September 15, 2021, 09:36:59 PM
Quote from: HighwayStar on September 15, 2021, 06:10:48 PM

No it was actually called McKinley before that, Wilson was the one to recognize it as the first official name of the Mountain. And naming it after a deceased president is more fitting anyway, Denali has no meaning whatsoever.
Sir.... Denali roughly means "The Great One" and was named by people that actually... you know.. live by the mountain and use it. How is naming it after a dead white man from Ohio fitting ?

That dead man from Ohio was a PRESIDENT of these United States. "roughly means" in some dead language none of us speak.
Dang dude...yikes.

Its true, naming things after a president, one that was assassinated in office for that matter, makes far more sense than using a term that has no meaning to anyone outside of the barely-populated-enough-to-qualify-as-a-state Alaska.

But I digress.

For another Mandela effect how about I-95 goes through DC  :awesomeface:
It's the way you're dissing natives, their language, and a mountain more than 4,000 miles away from you.. LMAOOOO you thought you ate that up  :-D.

But moving on chile  :coffee:.

Its an American mountain, we bought it from the Russians. Its mine as much as anyone else's.
You're certainly entitled to your opinion and have the right to express it, but not to be relieved of the consequences thereof.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

TheHighwayMan3561

That Bob Dylan's infamous motorcycle accident happened on US 61. It happened in Woodstock, New York, a thousand miles away from it.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Takumi

That ethanman's I-366 proposal had a speed limit of 85. He actually said 65 for it, but 85 for other things.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Max Rockatansky

I'm finding there is some sort of phenomenon going on where everyone (or at least the general populace) believes US 66 ended at Broadway in 7th Street in Los Angeles when there is close to no evidence it ever did.  I want to say this is somehow inherited into collective memory from the National Old Trails Road which actually did end at 7th/Broadway. 

Another I've found interesting is that a lot of people seem to believe decommissioned US Routes didn't ever exist in their later alignments on what are now Interstate corridors.

Max Rockatansky

I haven't read The Grapes of Wrath in a long time but I seem to recall Steinbeck referred to Tehachapi Pass as part of US 66 instead of US 466?

J N Winkler

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 14, 2022, 03:36:05 PMI haven't read The Grapes of Wrath in a long time but I seem to recall Steinbeck referred to Tehachapi Pass as part of US 66 instead of US 466?

It's been a long time since I read Grapes of Wrath too, but I distinctly remember that the Joad family goes through Needles, Daggett (location of the California agricultural inspection station, which they pass through with the grandmother's dead body in the back of the vehicle), and Barstow, all of which were on US 66.  They descend into the Tehachapi valley in Chapter 18, but I don't recall that Steinbeck asserts the route between Barstow and Tehachapi (then US 466, now SR 58) was part of US 66.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: J N Winkler on February 14, 2022, 04:09:00 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 14, 2022, 03:36:05 PMI haven't read The Grapes of Wrath in a long time but I seem to recall Steinbeck referred to Tehachapi Pass as part of US 66 instead of US 466?

It's been a long time since I read Grapes of Wrath too, but I distinctly remember that the Joad family goes through Needles, Daggett (location of the California agricultural inspection station, which they pass through with the grandmother's dead body in the back of the vehicle), and Barstow, all of which were on US 66.  They descend into the Tehachapi valley in Chapter 18, but I don't recall that Steinbeck asserts the route between Barstow and Tehachapi (then US 466, now SR 58) was part of US 66.

I don't believe it is explicitly stated they have left US 66 though upon reaching Barstow.  The inference I recall finding myself wondering is if the reader would think Tehachapi Pass was US 66 also?

J N Winkler

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 14, 2022, 04:13:41 PMI don't believe it is explicitly stated they have left US 66 though upon reaching Barstow.  The inference I recall finding myself wondering is if the reader would think Tehachapi Pass was US 66 also?

I paid fairly close attention to route designations since, by the time I got around to Grapes of Wrath, I knew I was interested in them and other highway-related things (e.g., the police checks at the Arizona border to be sure the Joads were just passing through).  I don't remember either a statement that they turn off US 66 or anything that could be interpreted as promising a turn-by-turn itinerary of their travels in the Central Valley.

Scholars who have studied Grapes of Wrath have said that Steinbeck based much of it on a roadtrip from the Midwest to California along US 66, as well as personal observation of federal relief programs in the Central Valley.  The next step is probably to see if anyone has tried to trace the Joads' route after arrival in California.  I'm sure it's been thought of if it hasn't actually been done.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Kulerage

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 10, 2022, 07:50:09 PM
Another I've found interesting is that a lot of people seem to believe decommissioned US Routes didn't ever exist in their later alignments on what are now Interstate corridors.
What does this mean? That the US Highways actually were designated along the interstate highways that replaced them before being decommissioned?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Kulerage on February 15, 2022, 10:44:06 PM
What does this mean? That the US Highways actually were designated along the interstate highways that replaced them before being decommissioned?

In several instances they were.  Example; US 66 was co-designated over the completed portion of I-40 in California until the former was truncated to US 95 in 1972.  Even longer on the completed portions of I-40 in Arizona:

https://www.gribblenation.org/2021/03/interstate-40-and-h-bomb.html?m=1

So basically there was a transitional phase with the decommissioned/truncated US Routes in several instances.  That being the case if one were to say that they drove I-40 between Barstow and Ludlow they could also claim they drove a US 66 alignment. 

Kulerage

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 15, 2022, 10:49:09 PM
Quote from: Kulerage on February 15, 2022, 10:44:06 PM

In several instances they were.  Example; US 66 was co-designated over the completed portion of I-40 in California until the former was truncated to US 95 in 1972.  Even longer on the completed portions of I-40 in Arizona:

https://www.gribblenation.org/2021/03/interstate-40-and-h-bomb.html?m=1

So basically there was a transitional phase with the decommissioned/truncated US Routes in several instances.  That being the case if one were to say that they drove I-40 between Barstow and Ludlow they could also claim they drove a US 66 alignment.
Okay, gotcha. Your initial wording seemed a little weird and hard to follow to me hehe

bing101

CA-60 is technically in a different alignment from US-60.
This is due to the Pomona Freeways formation and I-10 status on the San Bernardino freeway.

bing101

Quote from: Occidental Tourist on August 24, 2021, 11:10:33 AM
The Golden Gate Bridge is part of US 101.

The Arroyo Seco Parkway was the first freeway in the US.
Isn't Pennsylvania Turnpike and New York State Parkway noted as some of the first freeways in the United States.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: bing101 on February 16, 2022, 02:03:05 PM

Isn't Pennsylvania Turnpike and New York State Parkway noted as some of the first freeways in the United States.

FWIW, US 101 on the Golden Gate Bridge is recognized in the AASHTO definition.  Despite not being state maintained the Golden Gate Bridge does appear as Route 101 in the Caltrans Postmile Tool. 

Gnutella

Quote from: bing101 on February 16, 2022, 02:03:05 PM

The Pennsylvania Turnpike is the first long-distance controlled-access highway in the U.S. The Arroyo Seco Parkway predates it, barely. It broke ground eight months before the Turnpike, and its first segment opened three months before the Turnpike. However, the first Parkway segment that opened was only four miles long, versus 159 miles for the first segment of Turnpike.

Gnutella

Speaking of the the Pennsylvania Turnpike, and pertaining to the Mandela Effect, for all the bitching people do about the Turnpike, ramp length is not only not a valid reason to do so, but it may never have been a valid reason at all.

paulthemapguy

Quote from: Gnutella on March 30, 2022, 05:35:07 AM
Speaking of the the Pennsylvania Turnpike, and pertaining to the Mandela Effect, for all the bitching people do about the Turnpike, ramp length is not only not a valid reason to do so, but it may never have been a valid reason at all.

A valid reason to do what?  Engage in bitching?
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

skluth

I think many of the examples here are more road geek pedantry than Mandela Effect. E.g., I-70 going to Baltimore and I-95 in Washington. Drivers know the highways take you to the metro areas. They don't care if it enters the actual city limit. They knew they drove the highway to get to the city. It's even more true with the Golden Gate Bridge; that California doesn't consider US 101 on the bridge is irrelevant to those driving from US 101 into SF from Marin County as California signs US 101 just north and south of the bridge.

I don't know how much roadway in the US was built as emergency runway as it wasn't a function of my agency. But there are several sections of highways in Western Europe, especially in the former West Germany, that were built to be used as emergency runways during the Cold War in case of Soviet invasion. The DMA Aeronautical department kept records (imagery, length, max weight, etc) on each emergency runway. I found that out during first job there (1989) while waiting for my training as part of a team updating all their aero runway files for six weeks. Tedious in those file folder days, but beats the crap out of juggling two low-paying part-time jobs after college and the beginning of a great career.

TEG24601

I-275 (MI), while signed north of I-96, does not technically exist north of I-96.

Highway 99 in Washington, may or may not be part of SR 99.  In Everett/Lynnwood or near Seattle/Tacoma: Yes.  Vancouver: No.  Anywhere else: No.
International Boulevard, in front of Sea-Tac Airport, and a continuation of the pavement of SR 99, in not in fact part of SR 99.

Regardless of what the locals call is, M-24 in and round Lake Orīon, MI, is not Lapeer Rd.  It is actually either Broadway or Park, depending on the segment.  Outside of Lake Orīon, it is Lapeer Rd.  Which is doubly confusing, given that there is a Lapeer St. in downtown, not connected to M-24.  Also, M-24 never connected to US-24.  US-24 doesn't come close enough, and when it could  have, it was signed as US-10 at that time.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

Gnutella

Quote from: paulthemapguy on March 31, 2022, 09:47:52 AM
Quote from: Gnutella on March 30, 2022, 05:35:07 AM

A valid reason to do what?  Engage in bitching?

Correct. Ramp lengths have never been a problem on the Pennsylvania Turnpike.

Quote from: Federal Highway AdministrationThe turnpike was the first large-scale construction project with consistent design standards, as opposed to previous piecemeal attempts to build roads through different areas. Plans called for a 200-foot right-of-way with two 12-foot lanes of travel provided in each direction with medians, berms, long entrance and exit ramps, banked curves, and separated grade crossings.

And the acceleration and deceleration lanes were lengthened even more in the 1960s and 1970s.

skluth

wanderer2575

Quote from: TEG24601 on March 31, 2022, 03:43:52 PM
Regardless of what the locals call is, M-24 in and round Lake Orīon, MI, is not Lapeer Rd.  It is actually either Broadway or Park, depending on the segment.  Outside of Lake Orīon, it is Lapeer Rd.  Which is doubly confusing, given that there is a Lapeer St. in downtown, not connected to M-24.  Also, M-24 never connected to US-24.  US-24 doesn't come close enough, and when it could  have, it was signed as US-10 at that time.

Incorrect on your last point.  Prior to construction of I-75 in Pontiac, M-24 continued south along Opdyke Road and west along Square Lake Road to terminate at Telegraph Road, which also was US-24's northern terminus.  That's how the M-24 designation for that route came to be; MDOT at the time had the practice of giving state highways the same number as U.S. highways if their termini touched.  (I think you're thinking of M-1 being previously designated as US-10.)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.