New England/Atlantic Canada Road Trip 10/9/21-10/16/21 - Input Requested

Started by JayhawkCO, September 15, 2021, 06:39:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayhawkCO

Hey Everyone,

So I posted about this in the 2021 Road Trip Plans thread, but I thought I might split it out just so I could get some input from specific members who know the area better than I.  I think I have most of the route planned, but would like some suggestions of places to eat, places to stop, local beers, and some routing advice as well.  I'll go day by day of how I have it now.

Day 1:

• Fly into Philly and rent a car.
  • Start heading south on I-95 and then route onto I-495, turning around back onto I-95.
  • Take I-95 all the way through up to New Haven.  I'm sticking with I-95 because one of the goals for this trip is to clinch I-95 and I'm in a little bit of a time crunch on my first day to get up to Canada since my flight time changed by two hours (later).
  • Take I-91 up to Hartford and then deviate a little bit to clinch both I-384 and I-291.
  • Continue up to Springfield and figure out a way to not miss any of I-91 while still clinching I-391.
  • I-91 all the way up to the border with a quick stop on VT9/NH9 to clinch Cheshire County, NH.
  • Autoroute 55->Autoroute 10->QC139 to Drummondville where I stop for the night.
  • New Counties:

• Bucks, PA
    • Hampden, MA
    • Hampshire, MA
    • Franklin, MA
    • Windham, VT
    • Cheshire, NH
    • Caledonia, VT
    • Orleans, VT
    • Memphrémagog, QC
    • Coaticook, QC
    • Sherbrooke, QC
    • Le Val-Saint-François, QC
    • Drummond, QC
  • Highways Clinched:

• I-495 (DE)
    • I-95 (DE, PA, NJ, and NY)
    • I-384 (CT)
    • I-291 (CT)
    • I-391 (MA)
    • I-91
  • Other clinches of note:

• All DE interstates
  • Questions: What speed can I expect to average on I-95 in the NYC area on a Saturday around 2:00-3:00 PM?  Any good places to eat in Drummondville?  I know pretty much nothing about the town, but I probably need some poutine in my life since I'm in Québec, and would prefer a place that my non-existent French won't be too much of a bother.
Day 2:

• Leave Drummondville on Autoroute 20.
  • Head east on Autoroute 85/QC185.
  • More or less take the shortest way through New Brunswick on TCH-2.
  • As planned, go TCH104->NS102->NS118 down to Halifax.
  • One small side trip to clinch NS142
  • New Counties:

• Nicolet-Yamaska, QC
    • Arthabaska, QC
    • Bécancour, QC
    • L'Érable, QC
    • Lotbinière, QC
    • Lévis, QC
    • Bellechasse, QC
    • Montmagny, QC
    • L'Islet, QC
    • Kamouraska QC
    • Rivière-du-Loup, QC
    • Témiscouata, QC
    • Madawaska, NB
    • Victoria, NB
    • Carleton, NB
    • York, NB
    • Sunbury, NB
    • Queens, NB
    • Kings, NB
    • Westmorland, NB
    • Cumberland, NS
    • Colchester, NS
    • Hants, NS
    • Halifax, NS
  • Highways Clinched:

• Autoroute 85(QC)
    • QC185
    • TCH-2 (NB)
    • NS142
    • NS118
    • NS107
    • NS111

• None
  • Questions: Is there a good place that's not too far off of the TCH to check out the tides at the Bay of Fundy?  Is there a better/more scenic route to get to Halifax once I'm in Nova Scotia?  Do any provinces have cheaper gas than others?  Best view of the skyline of Halifax from the waterfront?  Good breweries in Halifax?
Chris

JayhawkCO

Day 3:

• Leave Halifax and check out the Sambro Harbor Lighthouse by using NS253, NS349, and NS306.
  • Take NS102 and NS101 to get to the NW Coast and all the way down to Yarmouth.
  • Make a little side trip on Trunk 1 and NS304 to the end of Cape Forchu and check out the lighthouse there.
  • NS103 back around and then Trunk 3 into Lunenburg.
  • New Counties:

• Kings, NS
    • Annapolis, NS
    • Digby, NS
    • Yarmouth, NS
    • Shelburne, NS
    • Queens, NS
    • Lunenburg, NS
  • Highways Clinched:

• NS253
    • NS306
    • NS101
    • NS304

• None
  • Questions: I'm interested in great views on this day, ideally with some lighthouses and crashing waves.  Any better options for lighthouses?  I picked the Sambro one partially because I need some of those highways for my "Lowest Numbered Highway You Haven't Been On" list.
Day 4:

• Leave Lunenburg and head up towards Cape Breton.
  • NS103->NS213->NS102 to avoid Halifax proper.
  • TCH-104 to TCH-105 to the Cabot Trail.
  • Head up to do the Skyline Trail near sunset.
  • Double back to Chéticamp where I spend the night.
  • New Counties:

• Pictou, NS
    • Antigonish, NS
    • Guysborough, NS
    • Inverness, NS
  • Highways Clinched:

• NS324
    • NS103
    • NS102

• None
    • Questions: Nothing major here.  It looks like this is the route I'll follow, but any good places to eat or something to stop at to stretch my legs would be great.
    Chris

JayhawkCO

Day 5:

• Finish clinching the Cabot Trail and then double back heading towards PEI on TCH-105.
  • Head east on TCH-105, clinching that and visiting the Newfoundland Ferry terminal
  • Side trip to clinch NS162
  • NS125->NS4 to clinch all of the Nova Scotia counties and check out the shores of Bras d'Or Lake
  • TCH-104->TCH-106 to get to Caribou in time for the 1:00 ferry
  • Go on a super weird routing all around PEI to get a lot of the 200's and 300's that I'm missing for "Lowest Route You Haven't Traveled" thread, much to Rothman's dismay.
  • Actual route is (inhale): TCH1->PE315->PE204->PE24->PE326->PE259->PE353->PE354->PE210->PE4->PE319->PE4->PE356->PE3->PE343->Royalty Road->PE342->PE321->PE4->PE314->PE341->PE310->PE4->PE2->PE305->PE358->PE306->Manning Road->PE307->PE357->PE308->Church Road->PE309->PE2->PE4->PE327->PE339->PE328->PE338->PE312->PE313->PE2->PE323->PE352->PE351->PE22->PE21->PE213->PE3->Millview Road->TCH1 (all the way back to the ferry so I can clinch it and then return)->PE270->PE267->PE268->PE270->TCH1->PE272->TCH1->PE236 to my hotel in C'Town (exhale).
  • All of that crazy driving in PEI will only account for 175 miles, and the longest I'm on any route at once is 14.3 miles.
  • I average only 2.8 miles on a road before turning.
  • New Counties:

• Victoria, NS
    • Cape Breton, NS
    • Richmond, NS
    • Queens, PE
    • Kings, PE
  • Highways Clinched:

• Cabot Trail (Trunk 30)
    • NS162
    • TCH-105
    • NS125
    • TCH-104
    • TCH-106
    • PE319
    • PE343
    • PE342
    • PE341
    • PE358
    • PE213
    • PE267
    • PE268
    • PE270
    • PE272

• All counties in NS
    • All arterial highways in NS
  • Questions: It's free to catch the ferry from Nova Scotia to PEI, but only on a walk-up basis.  Anyone think I would have a problem getting on the 1:00 sailing on a Thursday?
Day 6:

• Leave C'Town on another convoluted routing to knock off the rest of my 200's.
  • (inhale)PE7->PE256->PE2->PE243->PE224->PE258->PE6->PE243->PE226->PE2->PE9->PE225->PE247->PE235->PE249->PE237->PE235->PE13->TCH1 (heading back to C'Town to clinch it).
  • Confederation Bridge back across to NB.
  • Route south from Moncton to Saint John than back up to Fredericton for some variety
  • TCH2->NE95->I-95 down to Bangor with a small side trip to get Piscataquis County, ME
  • New Counties:

• Prince, PE
    • Albert, NB
    • Saint John, NB
    • Aroostook, ME
    • Penobscot, ME
    • Piscataquis, ME
  • Highways Clinched:

• PE249
    • TCH-1 (PE)
    • TCH-16 (NB)
    • NB7
    • NB95

• All counties in PE
    • All TCH routes in the Maritimes
  • Questions: I don't think I have any questions here other than the typical restaurant/brewery suggestions.
Chris

JayhawkCO

Day 7:

• Objectives for the day:

• Clinch I-395 in Maine.
    • Clinch all counties in Maine and New Hampshire that I'm missing.
    • Clinch I-93.
    • Clinch I-195 in Maine.
    • See nice scenery.
  • Leaving Bangor heading out on I-395->US1A->ME46->ME9 to clinch Hancock and Washington Counties.
  • Turn back around on ME9, getting back onto I-95 so I can clinch the stretch from Bangor to Augusta
  • Take a short stretch of US-202 connecting to ME105 and ME206 so I can clinch Lincoln and Knox Counties
  • Take ME17 to Jay, ME and then heading southwest on ME140->ME117->ME118->ME37->ME93->ME5 to get to Fryeburg
  • Go on a US Route tour taking US302->US3->US2->US-5 getting me my remaining New Hampshire counties and getting me to St. Johnsbury
  • From St. Johnsbury, take I-93 all the way to its junction with I-95, completing the clinch (also taking I-293 in Manchester).
  • Double back on I-93 to head back up to Portland getting some mileage on I-495.
  • Travel I-195 when passing through Saco/Biddeford, then back up I-95 to Portland for the night
  • New Counties:

• Hancock, ME
    • Washington, ME
    • Waldo, ME
    • Knox, ME
    • Lincoln, ME
    • Kennebec, ME
    • Somerset, ME
    • Franklin, ME
    • Oxford, ME
    • Carroll, NH
    • Coos, NH
    • Essex, VT
    • Belknap, NH
    • Hillsborough, NH
    • Cumberland, ME
  • Highways Clinched:

• I-395 (ME)
    • I-93
    • I-293
    • I-93
    • I-195 (ME)
    • ME140
    • ME206
    • ME118

• All counties in NH
    • All interstates in NH
  • Questions: This is the day I need the most help with guidance.  Those that have been in the area, does anyone have a route that I should follow?  From Beddington, I'm currently thinking it's probably best to return on ME9 to Bangor and then head down to Augusta or Gardiner to get the portion of I-95 that I need to clinch.  Then head east on ME126 to get both of the counties I need, ME220 North to ME17 to take all the way up to its end near Rangeley.  Then take ME16->NH16->NH26->US3->US2 to St. Johnsbury.  I'll need a slight diversion to grab Carroll County, NH while I'm heading down towards Manchester/Boston this way. I'd like a reasonably efficient path (given my convoluted constraints) that is also scenic.  I've not spent much time in the Whites, so would like to drive some pretty stretches there.  Input on this section would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks Froggie.  Fixed my routing.
Day 8:

• The night before when getting dinner somewhere in downtown Portland, I'll knock off a chunk of I-295 and I'll take it all the way up to the Falmouth Spur (I-495)
  • Take I-95->I-495->I-295 up to Gardiner to clinch I-295.
  • Double back on I-95 to get the rest of its stretch in Maine.
  • Continue on I-95 all the way down to Providence's I-295
  • Complete I-295 and then head back north on I-95 to I-195
  • Take I-195 east to complete Rhode Island Interstates
  • Exit onto MA136 South and then taking RI136->RI114->RI138 to finish my Rhode Island counties
  • Then head west on US1->RI4->RI102->RI3->RI165->CT165->CT138->I-395 to get back to I-95 (I've been on all of I-95 from Boston to New London, so I wanted a different route
  • I-95 down to NYC taking I-278 through the city to see something different and also travel through Staten Island which I've never visited
  • Back to I-95 but looping around Philly on I-276 and I-476 to get back to the airport
  • New Counties:

• Sagadahoc, ME
    • Androscoggin, ME
    • Bristol, RI
    • Newport, RI
    • Richmond, NY
    • Montgomery, PA
  • Highways Clinched:

• I-495 (ME)
    • I-295 (ME)
    • I-295 (MA/RI)
    • MA136
    • RI136
    • RI165
    • I-95
    • I-278

• All interstates in ME
    • All interstates in RI
    • All counties in ME
    • All counties in RI
  • Questions: Will I run into much in the way of traffic when down in coastal RI?  I figured in the summer it was pretty busy down there, but in October maybe less so.  Same story for I-278 in NYC.  How bad on a Saturday around 1:00-2:00?
Overall Stats as Planned:
Total Miles: 4,388
Total New Miles For me: ~3800?
Total New Counties: 31 in the U.S.(Up to 1,432 or 45.56%), 48 in Canada (Up to 130 or 17.8%)
New States/Provinces with All Counties Clinched: NH, ME, RI, PEI, and NS (Up to 5 States and 2 Provinces)
2dis Clinched: I-91, I-93, I-95 (3 total, up to 28)
3dis Clinched: I-495 (DE), I-384 (CT), I-291 (CT), I-391 (MA), I-395 (ME), I-293 (NH), I-195 (ME), I-495 (ME), I-295 (ME), I-295 (MA/RI), I-278 (NY/NJ) (11 total up to 103)
New States with All Interstate Mileage Clinched: DE, VT, NH, ME, RI (up to 17 total)
Minimum Number of New Routes Driven: 189

Chris

hotdogPi

1. You're at 3,549 characters. The limit is 25,000.
2. I'll meet you if you want and you are anywhere in the Lowell/Lawrence/Haverhill area.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

abefroman329

If you haven't done so already, I would study the rules related to COVID and entry into both Canada and the US by land; it's not something you want to be caught unprepared for.

As I recall, you also have to let the rental car agency know that you plan to take the car into Canada; again, I might be telling you info you already know.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: 1 on September 15, 2021, 06:48:28 PM
1. You're at 3,549 characters. The limit is 25,000.
2. I'll meet you if you want and you are anywhere in the Lowell/Lawrence/Haverhill area.

1) I couldn't remember what it was, but it's also good for me to split up since I don't want to type a whole bunch and lose it somehow.
2) I actually drive through your area twice, so I might have some time for sure.

Chris

JayhawkCO

Quote from: abefroman329 on September 15, 2021, 06:57:54 PM
If you haven't done so already, I would study the rules related to COVID and entry into both Canada and the US by land; it's not something you want to be caught unprepared for.

As I recall, you also have to let the rental car agency know that you plan to take the car into Canada; again, I might be telling you info you already know.

Re: Covid, I'm long ago vaccinated with Moderna and I can't do the ArriveCan until 72 hours beforehand.  I also can't make an appointment for a PCR test here in Colorado until the week of, so I'm going to try and get the earliest test that I can on Thursday for my Saturday night Canadian arrival (needs to be within 72 hours).  The only province that currently has different Covid requirements is PEI, and I received my PEI Pass via email this morning, so I should be good to go there.  Quebec never really had any separate requirements and both New Brunswick and Nova Scotia have let theirs lapse.

Re: rental car, I booked with Budget that has unlimited miles and no restrictions on Canadian entry.  I'm going to call them and register the fact that I'm taking it across the border, and apparently they provide me with a non-resident insurance card at the counter.  I am going to verify that my rental insurance that I get through my Chase Sapphire Preferred card covers Canadian rentals as well, just in case.

I do appreciate the heads up in case I hadn't thought of something.

Chris

oscar

One question I have, for my possible Canada trip, which I've had trouble nailing down in my preliminary research: do U.S. citizens need a PCR or other test done in Canada, just before a land crossing back into the U.S.? That would surprise me, but I'd rather not be surprised.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

JayhawkCO

Quote from: oscar on September 15, 2021, 07:51:30 PM

One question I have, for my possible Canada trip, which I've had trouble nailing down in my preliminary research: do U.S. citizens need a PCR or other test done in Canada, just before a land crossing back into the U.S.? That would surprise me, but I'd rather not be surprised.

Nothing that I've seen.  I would highly doubt it, but I'll be taking a look there too.

Chris

webny99

Canadians definitely have to have a Covid test prior to entering the US, but I'm not sure about US citizens.

abefroman329

Quote from: oscar on September 15, 2021, 07:51:30 PM

All I can find online are the rules for re-entering the US by air, probably because the land border with Canada is still closed to non-US citizens.

JayhawkCO

According to the state department website, the test requirement doesn't apply to land crossing.

Chris

abefroman329

Quote from: jayhawkco on September 15, 2021, 07:07:27 PMI am going to verify that my rental insurance that I get through my Chase Sapphire Preferred card covers Canadian rentals as well, just in case.

It should, and if they use the same insurance company that Barclays uses, they're fantastic.  I've had two instances where I rented from Avis in the UK and Avis charged me for damage to the car, and the insurance company paid the claims with no issues - and one claim (for a flat tire) wasn't even supposed to be covered under the policy!

JayhawkCO

Quote from: abefroman329 on September 16, 2021, 10:02:20 AM
Quote from: jayhawkco on September 15, 2021, 07:07:27 PMI am going to verify that my rental insurance that I get through my Chase Sapphire Preferred card covers Canadian rentals as well, just in case.

It should, and if they use the same insurance company that Barclays uses, they're fantastic.  I've had two instances where I rented from Avis in the UK and Avis charged me for damage to the car, and the insurance company paid the claims with no issues - and one claim (for a flat tire) wasn't even supposed to be covered under the policy!

I don't see the exact company that Chase uses, but their website does confirm that it's valid abroad.

Chris

abefroman329

Quote from: jayhawkco on September 16, 2021, 12:17:44 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on September 16, 2021, 10:02:20 AM

I don't see the exact company that Chase uses, but their website does confirm that it's valid abroad.

Chris

Here it is (I also have a Chase Sapphire Preferred card):

https://www.eclaimsline.com/?chasewebview=false

ghYHZ

To enter Nova Scotia from New Brunswick you now have to complete a 'Safe Check-In Form'

https://travel-declaration.novascotia.ca/en

Effective Sept 22.....you also have to pre-register to enter New Brunswick again.

https://www2.gnb.ca/content/gnb/en/corporate/promo/covid-19/travel.html

And I would also keep an eye on the PEI Gov Site as there has been an increase in cases the past few days.

>>>>>>

You asked about viewing the Fundy Tides. This route might be an option.....

Burntcoat Head along Minas Basin

https://goo.gl/maps/RkYT22YGpAmmrTAP8

Best view of the Halifax Skyline is from the Halifax Transit Harbour Ferries.

On Day 5.....Leaving from Ingonish, doing the Skyline Trail, taking in the Cabot Trail sights with all the lookoffs...... and then being in Caribou for the 1pm ferry is going to be a very, very tight schedule.

If you travel from Nova Scotia to PEI on the ferry with a car and no reservation.....the ride over is free.
You only pay when leaving the Island.....either on the ferry or bridge. The 1pm crossing on a Thursday shouldn't be too busy but get there as early as possible (but with your schedule that might be difficult!)

As I continue to read through this...I'll have a few more tips!

JayhawkCO

Thanks for the input!

Quote from: ghYHZ on September 16, 2021, 02:38:15 PM
To enter Nova Scotia from New Brunswick you now have to complete a 'Safe Check-In Form'

https://travel-declaration.novascotia.ca/en

I just clicked through that link yesterday, and when I said that I was coming from outside Canada, it said that I didn't need to fill out the Safe Check-In Form because the ArriveCan form was sufficient.

Quote from: ghYHZ on September 16, 2021, 02:38:15 PMEffective Sept 22.....you also have to pre-register to enter New Brunswick again.

https://www2.gnb.ca/content/gnb/en/corporate/promo/covid-19/travel.html

And I would also keep an eye on the PEI Gov Site as there has been an increase in cases the past few days.

Good to know!  Thank you.

Quote from: ghYHZ on September 16, 2021, 02:38:15 PM
You asked about viewing the Fundy Tides. This route might be an option.....

Burntcoat Head along Minas Basin

https://goo.gl/maps/RkYT22YGpAmmrTAP8

Best view of the Halifax Skyline is from the Halifax Transit Harbour Ferries.

Awesome.  I'll check these out.

Quote from: ghYHZ on September 16, 2021, 02:38:15 PMOn Day 5.....Leaving from Ingonish, doing the Skyline Trail, taking in the Cabot Trail sights with all the lookoffs...... and then being in Caribou for the 1pm ferry is going to be a very, very tight schedule.

Yeah.  I was planning on leaving around 6:45 or so.  You think without too many stops other than for quick photos (and I'm also a very quick hiker, especially at sea level) that I'll be okay?

Chris

ghYHZ

Quote from: jayhawkco on September 16, 2021, 02:49:08 PM
Yeah.  I was planning on leaving around 6:45 or so.  You think without too many stops other than for quick photos (and I'm also a very quick hiker, especially at sea level) that I'll be okay?

Chris

Google Maps is showing 4hr/21min from Ingonish to Caribou then add in at least 1 1/2 hrs for the Skyline Trail...and you'd want to be in Caribou by 12:30 for the 1pm ferry

https://goo.gl/maps/jDJwunum2goqaWvz9

JayhawkCO

Quote from: ghYHZ on September 16, 2021, 03:01:40 PM
Quote from: jayhawkco on September 16, 2021, 02:49:08 PM

Chris

Google Maps is showing 4hr/21min from Ingonish to Caribou then add in at least 1 1/2 hrs for the Skyline Trail...and you'd want to be in Caribou by 12:30 for the 1pm ferry

https://goo.gl/maps/jDJwunum2goqaWvz9

Yeah, now that I look at it, it's going to be 5 miles RT.  Only 500' of gain though.  I can probably get it done in a little over an hour or so, especially since I normally like to jog down when I'm doing easier hikes.  If worse comes to worse, I can take a later ferry and/or cross at the bridge.

Chris

1995hoo

If you like Scotch whisky, I highly recommend checking out the Glenora Distillery in Glenville, Nova Scotia, although it's on the Ceilidh Trail and so isn't really along your route. Well worth a stop if you like that style of whisky, though–they make an outstanding Canadian single malt. (The inn and restaurant are very nice as well.)

In terms of other places to eat: Along the Cabot Trail, the Harbour Restaurant and Bar in Cheticamp (the restaurant with the small lighthouse out back up the block from Wabo's) had excellent fish and chips, some of the best I've ever had. In Shelburne, the Charlotte Lane Cafe was outstanding. In Yarmouth, Rudder's is very good for fried seafood and beer. In Digby, eat scallops–pick a seafood restaurant and it's hard to go wrong. In Halifax, Cafe Chianti was absolutely fabulous; it's a bit of a fancy place, though you certainly don't need to get all duded up to go there, but it was really top-notch, and I don't hold it against them that it's apparently Sidney Crosby's favorite restaurant in Halifax.

Remember you need to stop and get a national park pass when you enter Cape Breton Highlands National Park. Buy it for the number of days you plan to be within park limits. It sounds like you won't need to add a buffer day.

One nice hike you could make near Ingonish Beach begins alongside the Keltic Lodge. Drive up the Keltic In Road and go past the lodge on your left until the road ends and park in the lot there. The hike goes out to Middle Head, a clifftop location overlooking the ocean and Cape Smokey to the south. Nice walk, not strenuous. I don't remember the distance, but my timing wouldn't be a valid comparison because Ms1995hoo was with me and she walks slower than I do.

The Alexander Keith's brewery tour in Halifax was less interesting than I expected. Not bad, but I expected something more focused on beer, whereas they focused more on their history.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

JayhawkCO

1995hoo

Google Maps shows the Middle Head hike as 1.7 km each way, so very short. I was able to bring up "Street View" at the end of the trail using the Google Maps app on my iPad, so I assume you could get a look if you want to see whether it'd be of any interest to you.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

ghYHZ

If the aim is to just clinch the Cabot Trail and get a quick hike in on the Skyline.....you should be OK but most take two days to 'do the Tail' with the many look-offs. Also keep in mind that in mid October sunrise in Ingonish is 7:15am and sunset is 6:15pm (these are only 5mins off your times in Colorado!) Leaving from Ingonish at 6:45am as you say...you will have daylight when you reach the Skyline Trail but the sun IMHO will be in the wrong direction! Personally I like the Sunset view over the Gulf of St. Lawrence. (I think you've seen my recent post here:)

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=29888.0

So here's a suggestion. Do the Cabot Trail in reverse to what you have planned. Stay in Cheticamp instead of Ingonish and do the Skyline in the late afternoon......then the next morning head for Ingonish and onto Caribou. Get an early start and you still might not get the 1pm ferry but you will the next. NFL hasn't posted the schedule after Oct. 11th but I'm guessing there will be one in the late afternoon like other years. The drive to the ferry from Cheticamp is about an hour longer in the morning but you're not doing the Skyline hike.

Keep in mind there's construction on the Cabot Trail where they are stabilizing rock faces with single lane traffic controlled by lights.

Also lots of construction in the 40km between Sutherlands River and Antigonish on the twinning of THC104. They plan to have 2-way traffic on the new lanes this fall while they reconstruct the existing lanes and bridges...then be fully opened in 2023. So lots of delays with lane shifts, paving and bridge work. Here's the web page with potential delays posted. Might be good to review closer to your travel date if rushing for the ferry!

https://hwy104twinning.ca

ghYHZ

As I posted above....Burntcoat Head is a great place to view the Fundy Tides......actually Minas Basin/Cobequid Bay at that point.

This web page has a link to tide times that vary by date:

www.burntcoatheadpark.ca/tides/

Back in the '70s a Tidal Power Dam was proposed spanning between Burntcoat Head and Economy Point....... 111Km away but only 5km across. It probably would have included a road but never got beyond the talking stage.

After entering Nova Scotia at Amherst you could follow Trunk 2 through Parrsboro and Economy Point on the opposite side from Burntcoat instead of the TCH104 Cobequid Pass Toll Highway. (....and that toll might even be gone shortly. We just had a change in Provincial Government and one of their 'promises' if elected was removal of the tolls)   

And if you are going to Burntcoat Head.....you'll probably exit NS102 at Brookfield and cross the Gosse Bridge at South Maitland. Here you can see the incoming tide arrive as a 'Tidal Boar'...... a fast moving wave viewed from the a platform at the old Railway Bridge.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.