News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Cities Names That are Portmanteaus

Started by ethanhopkin14, April 15, 2022, 06:45:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

-- US 175 --

SE of Dallas, the town of Mabank (sometimes misspelled by some as "Maybank") was named for local ranch owners Mason and Eubank.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mabank,_Texas

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: -- US 175 -- on April 17, 2022, 03:40:23 AM
SE of Dallas, the town of Mabank (sometimes misspelled by some as "Maybank") was named for local ranch owners Mason and Eubank.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mabank,_Texas

Also in three counties!

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: abefroman329 on April 15, 2022, 09:52:55 PM
I suspect Northfield, IL is one (Northbrook and Deerfield)

I don't know about Northfield, but Northlake is a combination of North Avenue and Lake Street, two major local thoroughfares.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Flint1979

Union City, Indiana and Union City, Ohio.

wxfree

Quote from: KCRoadFan on April 16, 2022, 03:43:22 AM
Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on April 15, 2022, 09:23:29 PM
Quote from: 7/8 on April 15, 2022, 09:19:10 PM
Can we include town amalgamations?

Kenora, ON is an amalgamation of Keewatin, Norman, and Rat Portage.

Sure, the I am adding Balmorhea, TX.  Not neighboring jurisdictions, but rather the founders Balcom, Morrow and Rhea.

I didn't know that was how that town got its name - to me, it just sounds like an STD. "Well, pardner, looks like another case of Balmorhea."

It doesn't sound like "gonorrhea."  It's pronounced "bal morray" with the first A being short.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

Scott5114

Quote from: wxfree on April 17, 2022, 10:45:57 PM

Sure, the I am adding Balmorhea, TX.  Not neighboring jurisdictions, but rather the founders Balcom, Morrow and Rhea.

I didn't know that was how that town got its name - to me, it just sounds like an STD. "Well, pardner, looks like another case of Balmorhea."

It doesn't sound like "gonorrhea."  It's pronounced "bal morray" with the first A being short.

Was the first mayor Hyacinth Bucket?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

abefroman329

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 17, 2022, 11:12:22 PM

No, it was Asswipe Johnson (high-five to anyone who gets that reference).

US 89

Ucolo, UT just off US 491
Tennga, GA on US 411
Cal-Nev-Ari, NV on US 95

There's also Uvada, UT right off SR 56 near the Nevada border but I'm pretty sure this has never amounted to more than a railroad siding

Not a city, but there's a Uzona Avenue that runs along the Utah-Arizona border through the twin towns of Hildale, UT and Colorado City, AZ

In the same vein is Texline, TX located on US 87 at the Texas-New Mexico state line

kphoger

Quote from: Flint1979 on April 17, 2022, 09:57:44 PM
Union City, Indiana and Union City, Ohio.

Do you even know what a portmanteau is?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Henry

Quote from: oscar on April 15, 2022, 09:12:48 PM
Marydel (MD/DE), and Delmar (DE/MD), on different parts of the Maryland/Delaware border.
Bonus points: the region they're located in is called the Delmarva Peninsula, combining Delaware, Maryland and Virginia.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

michravera

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on April 15, 2022, 06:45:52 PM
How many cities are there that are portmanteaus of the jurisdictions they border.  I was searching around and thought maybe there were a handful but it seams like every state line has a town or two that is both states combined.  Example, Texarkana.

This can be international as well.

CalNevAri (official place on BGSs) and CalNeva. I'm surprised that there isn't a Calizona or a Nevafornia.

Takumi

Quote from: abefroman329 on April 18, 2022, 08:32:37 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on April 17, 2022, 11:12:22 PM

No, it was Asswipe Johnson (high-five to anyone who gets that reference).
Ozz-wee-pay.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Stephane Dumas

Could we count fictionnal cities as well? In "Demolition Man", San Angeles is from the amalgation of Los Angeles with San Diego and San Bernardino.

hbelkins

There's a community known as Kenvir in Harlan County, Ky., not far from the Virginia state line.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

golden eagle

Paragould, AR is named for railroad magnates J. W. Paramore and Jay Gould. Also, Tennga, GA.

Big John

There is a Gerogiana, AL, named for Georgia and the founder's daughter Anna.

GenExpwy

If acronyms are considered a type of portmanteau, a possible example is Sonyea NY (I-390 exit 6).

I have seen two explanations for the name: either it is an old Indian name, or an acronym for State of New York Epileptic Asylum.

kphoger

I just learnt that Weslaco (TX) is named after the W. E. Stewart Land Company.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: kphoger on April 20, 2022, 02:11:51 PM
I just learnt that Weslaco (TX) is named after the W. E. Stewart Land Company.

I was just thinking of that one because I forgot that town was actually a portmanteau. 

webny99

Quote from: GenExpwy on April 20, 2022, 05:20:11 AM
If acronyms are considered a type of portmanteau, a possible example is Sonyea NY (I-390 exit 6).

I have seen two explanations for the name: either it is an old Indian name, or an acronym for State of New York Epileptic Asylum.

Interesting. It doesn't sound like a Native American word, so I actually kind of buy the latter explanation!

bing101

Quote from: Rothman on April 15, 2022, 09:18:24 PM
Quote from: oscar on April 15, 2022, 09:12:48 PM
Marydel (MD/DE), and Delmar (DE/MD), on different parts of the Maryland/Delaware border.
But not Delmar, NY...

Dang I never knew Del Mar had another meaning. I knew Del Mar meant Of the Sea in Spanish

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Del_Mar

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Del_Mar,_California

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delmar

I didn't think about this one and very obvious as the Delaware/Maryland Border.

golden eagle

Years ago, someone tried telling me that Killeen, TX stood for "KILL Each and Every N*****. Of course, it's not true.

abefroman329

Quote from: golden eagle on April 25, 2022, 02:38:52 PM
Years ago, someone tried telling me that Killeen, TX stood for "KILL Each and Every N*****. Of course, it's not true.
And apparently Anna, IL isn't an acronym of "ain't no [racial slur]s around," although the concept of "sundown towns" was very, very real.

kphoger

Quote from: abefroman329 on April 25, 2022, 02:49:43 PM

And apparently Anna, IL isn't an acronym of "ain't no [racial slur]s around," although the concept of "sundown towns" was very, very real.

And apparently Waco (TX) isn't an acronym of "what a cook out", nor of "we ain't comin' out".

In other news, not everything you hear on a junior high playground is true.

Iowa, I should point out, is definitely an acronym of "idiots out wandering around".
Male pronouns, please.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: kphoger on April 25, 2022, 03:08:16 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on April 25, 2022, 02:49:43 PM

And apparently Waco (TX) isn't an acronym of "what a cook out", nor of "we ain't comin' out".

In other news, not everything you hear on a junior high playground is true.

Iowa, I should point out, is definitely an acronym of "idiots out wandering around".

There is an alternative name for a last place baseball team: Club Unsuccessful By Standings
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.