News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

3-D movies on regular TV

Started by bandit957, April 23, 2022, 10:58:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

Anyone remember when 3-D movies used to be a really big deal? They were so big in the early '80s that I remember one time they actually showed a 3-D movie on regular over-the-air TV!

I don't remember if it was the network or just something picked up by a local station. I think we picked up 3-D glasses (with a red lens and a blue lens) at some fast food restaurant. For the life of me, I don't remember what the movie was about.

I remember that if I removed my 3-D glasses, the movie basically looked normal. But I also remember seeing a 3-D movie in a theater around that time, and if I removed my 3-D glasses, it would be blurry.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Big John

Super Bowl XXIII in 1989 had a 3D halftime show.

TheHighwayMan3561

Nickelodeon had some shows in the late 90s with interspersed 3-D segments, which I believe the glasses came in the Nickelodeon-show themed boxes of Kraft Macaroni and Cheese.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Max Rockatansky

Jaws 3D was my introduction to the concept as well the end point of my interest in it.

Rothman

I still like the idea, but I think there was a lot of audience apathy or even backlash in the end.  In those early days, alignment of frames was tough, so people got headaches.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

Anyone ever go driving at night with 3-D glasses on?  Look through just the red lens, and headlights look the same as taillights.  Look through just the blue lens, and taillights are nearly invisible.  It's great fun!
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

SP Cook

Quote from: bandit957 on April 23, 2022, 10:58:02 PM

I don't remember if it was the network or just something picked up by a local station. I think we picked up 3-D glasses (with a red lens and a blue lens) at some fast food restaurant.

The 3D movies on TV was a time-buy advertising deal.  Works like this:  advertising company buys some bad time slot, say Friday night in the summer.  Sponsor, say a fast food place, promotes the heck out of the coming deal.  Kid bugs mom and dad to take him/her to said fast food place to get the glasses.  Profit.

bandit957

Quote from: SP Cook on April 25, 2022, 03:56:59 PMThe 3D movies on TV was a time-buy advertising deal.  Works like this:  advertising company buys some bad time slot, say Friday night in the summer.  Sponsor, say a fast food place, promotes the heck out of the coming deal.  Kid bugs mom and dad to take him/her to said fast food place to get the glasses.  Profit.

This was definitely during the summer. I'm pretty sure we went to the local lake earlier on the day that it aired. Probably about 1982, so I would have been about 9. It was before we had cable, which we got in 1983. It was probably a Saturday.

I don't remember what fast food chain it was, but it might have been Burger Chef, back in the days when most Burger Chefs were in their final throes before becoming Hardee's.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.