News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Do you hand wash dishes or use a dishwasher?

Started by Max Rockatansky, May 03, 2022, 10:58:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snowc

I use Dawn Powerwash to wash the dishes. And the handle is very slippery when I spray it on dishes.

Ned Weasel

Hand-washing dishes destroys two of my fingernails, but I do it anyway.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

DandyDan

The one big thing I overlooked when I got my apartment is the fact it didn't come with a dishwasher,  so yes, I hand wash them. Of course, some things have to be hand washed.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

kkt

Dishwasher for things that can be washed in the dishwasher, and handwash for everything else.

bulldog1979

Growing up, I got the chore of doing dishes just as we got a dishwasher for the house. Some things still had to be hand washed.

When I had my first studio apartment, the single sink was rather small. It was part off a unit very similar to this one. To find a dishpan that would have fit in that sink, I'd have to shop in the RV aisle of the appropriate store. Handwashing dishes wasn't the best experience with my limited space.

I moved later that year to a full size apartment, and I got a dishwasher at the new place. First thing that I did after dropping off the moving truck was to buy dishwasher detergent. Every dish I owned went through that machine before it was put away in the cupboards because I wasn't too sure they were all properly clean from hand washing. Of course, some things can't go through the machine, but it's much nicer to load up and press start. On modern machines, they use less water than hand washing the equivalent number of dishes.

Scott5114

Okay, I might sound like a complete idiot asking this, but what's a dishpan for? We have always had a two-compartment sink, and one is for the dirty dishes (and is filled with soapy water when you wash them) and the other is for rinsing. Is a dishpan just to facilitate this setup in a one-compartment sink? (I'm not sure that I've ever seen such a thing in active use in a modern home.)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

abefroman329

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 16, 2022, 04:01:48 AM
Okay, I might sound like a complete idiot asking this, but what's a dishpan for? We have always had a two-compartment sink, and one is for the dirty dishes (and is filled with soapy water when you wash them) and the other is for rinsing. Is a dishpan just to facilitate this setup in a one-compartment sink? (I'm not sure that I've ever seen such a thing in active use in a modern home.)
I've only seen dishpans in use at restaurants.

elsmere241

Our house was built in the 1940s and doesn't have a dishwasher installed, so we bought one that takes up a lot of space in the kitchen.  Maybe we need to get rinse aid for it, since it doesn't get everything 100%.

wanderer2575

I'm like the mom in the Cascade Platinum television ad, where the kid says "My mom washes the dishes before she puts them in the dishwasher.  So what does the dishwasher do?"  I don't thoroughly wash plates/bowls/silverware first, but I make sure all the crud is removed.  I'm dubious about claims that dishwasher detergents can wash off all the crud without physical scrubbing, and I don't want the dishwasher filters getting clogged up.

kphoger

A dishpan can serve two functions, from situations where I've seen one in use:

1.  It can save water.  If your sink is large, the same amount of water will form a deeper pool if you use a dishpan.

2.  It can protect your dishes or your sink.  If you have a porcelain sink, a plastic dishpan can protect it from metal scuffs.  If you have any kind of sink, a plastic dishpan can protect your breakable items.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

Quote from: wanderer2575 on May 16, 2022, 11:41:05 AM
I'm like the mom in the Cascade Platinum television ad, where the kid says "My mom washes the dishes before she puts them in the dishwasher.  So what does the dishwasher do?"  I don't thoroughly wash plates/bowls/silverware first, but I make sure all the crud is removed.  I'm dubious about claims that dishwasher detergents can wash off all the crud without physical scrubbing, and I don't want the dishwasher filters getting clogged up.

According to videos that I've watched, most modern dishwashers don't actually have filters; instead the bottom water-spinny bit extends down into the drain and has blades on it that function as a garbage disposal.

jeffandnicole

I think we tried one at one point, but the dishpan just took up more room, and crowded the one bin sink unnecessarily.

kkt

Sinks with one large basin instead of two small ones are not all that rare, and the dishpan lets you use less hot water to make a hot water and soap mix deep enough to wash in.

Also if a dish slips out of your hands and into the bottom of the sink it may hit a soft rubber surface and not break, whereas if you had porcelein over steel it might.

Scott5114

Quote from: kkt on May 16, 2022, 06:30:59 PM

Sinks with one large basin instead of two small ones are not all that rare.

Perhaps in areas with older housing stock. I've literally never seen one in Oklahoma or Kansas.

(watch kphoger have one now that I've said that)

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 16, 2022, 06:31:52 PM

Quote from: kkt on May 16, 2022, 06:30:59 PM

Sinks with one large basin instead of two small ones are not all that rare.

Perhaps in areas with older housing stock. I've literally never seen one in Oklahoma or Kansas.

(watch kphoger have one now that I've said that)

Nope.  We have a porcelain sink with two equal-sized halves.

Quote from: kphoger on March 08, 2021, 02:46:45 PM

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.