News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

That’s the Jersey Way

Started by roadman65, May 05, 2022, 09:07:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I see lately NJ has launched a resigning campaign all their overheads. Mostly I have unnecessary verbiage or information overload.   The one on Route 440 in Perth Amboy SB at the Amboy Avenue/ NJ 35 North Exit is beyond sign salad with every regional route signed there in an on organized manner on three different panels.

Then SB US 202 near Lambertville, has the Frontage Road to the 600 series route to Mount Airy Dilts Corner.   Yet that is true, but it is totally unnecessary to list the roads, step by step, to the two control points. Just use the control cities and follow up after the ramp ends.

Then the latest trend is I-195 and the TO NJ 29 WB on the pull through and TO NJ 138 on the pull through EB.  Plus an advance guide for the following exit in between the pull through and the at exit guide is way out from Saturn as most next exits are several miles away still as that's one of the only roads left in NJ wthan the Turnpike without an exit every two miles on average.  However I understand that I-195 don't reach either Belmar or Trenton  so hence  the NJ 138 and NJ 29 attachments to the pull through signs, but still IMO it really don't matter as many places a pull through control is several miles beyond the terminus of a freeway.

Then mileage signs on interstate routes use townships directly served on the freeway instead of those nearby along the way that most motorists are more familiar with. The only exception I have seen is Perth Amboy used SB on I-287 and New York on I-80 EB where both interstates end short of those two places.  I'm sure though next all pull throughs on I-287 using Perth Amboy next will start using TO NJ 440 as well and on I-80 east to New York will include next TO I-95 & NJ Turnpike as well.

Oh then TO US 46 on the NJ 10 guide in Parsippany for Roxbury. That is totally unprecedented as no other state I have seen practices that.

What other things do you find only in NJ that nowhere else does or something new NJDOT has started to implement foreign to anything we have seen yet?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

1995hoo

Quote from: roadman65 on May 05, 2022, 09:07:34 AM

What other things do you find only in NJ that nowhere else does or something new NJDOT has started to implement foreign to anything we have seen yet?

Routine use of "All Turns from Right Lane" signage and "U and Left Turns" with an upward-pointing arrow to the right.

Of course I know those are because of the routine use of jughandles. You occasionally see jughandles elsewhere (I can think of three near me, although one was modified within the past 15 years or so to reduce the number of vehicles using it). But I can't say I've seen the sorts of signs Jersey uses in conjunction with them in other states.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Roadgeek Adam

Why is this not in the NJ thread?
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

roadman65

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on May 05, 2022, 09:02:48 PM
Why is this not in the NJ thread?

Why can't you have a specific thread about a specific topic? 

It doesn't qualify that a new way of life for NJ signing should be generic with anything NJ.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.