News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Dead Malls

Started by The Premier, January 25, 2011, 05:38:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

golden eagle

Flint1979

I was in the Detroit area riding around yesterday. I happened to drive past Eastland Mall in Harper Woods which is completely abandoned. I came in off Kelly and was going to drive around the mall lot but the snow was too deep and not plowed and there is a fence surrounding the property to keep people off the property. The mall is supposed to be demolished and converted to warehouses and industrial buildings. The interior of the mall closed about 3 months ago in November.

I also went to Monroe and drove up to The Mall of Monroe (formerly Frenchtown Square Mall). I just drove up to the main entrance and left. There weren't very many cars there so you could consider this a dead mall now too. This mall only opened in 1988 so it's 34 years old this year not too old for a mall. There used to be two Carson's stores, Sears, Target, JCPenney was an original anchor but closed this location about 20 years ago. Sears closed this location in 2011, Target closed around 2014. There was also a Pat Catan's location but it closed and never reopened as a Michael's.

The Mall Of Monroe should be considered a dead mall now too.

JMoses24

Both Tri-County Mall AND the former Forest Fair/Cincinnati Mills Mall north of Cincinnati are set to be demolished and redeveloped imminently. Forest Fair will become a light industrial area; Tri-County will become a mixed use development.

https://www.wlwt.com/article/tri-county-mall-cincinnati-closing-redevelopment-project-date/39572456?fbclid=IwAR2Yt-9DBcK1qNjMOMqt0CWN8MOZFvkpDp4luxcGcd6EP6WYsHDjBMsDk50

https://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news/hamilton-county/fairfield/former-forest-fair-mall-other-buildings-will-be-demolished-if-funds-come-through

Flint1979

Quote from: JMoses24 on March 31, 2022, 12:33:51 AM
Both Tri-County Mall AND the former Forest Fair/Cincinnati Mills Mall north of Cincinnati are set to be demolished and redeveloped imminently. Forest Fair will become a light industrial area; Tri-County will become a mixed use development.

https://www.wlwt.com/article/tri-county-mall-cincinnati-closing-redevelopment-project-date/39572456?fbclid=IwAR2Yt-9DBcK1qNjMOMqt0CWN8MOZFvkpDp4luxcGcd6EP6WYsHDjBMsDk50

https://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news/hamilton-county/fairfield/former-forest-fair-mall-other-buildings-will-be-demolished-if-funds-come-through
When I was in there last year the Macy's was going out of business which would leave no anchors in the mall. Lakeview Square Mall in Battle Creek, MI is the same way, no anchors left. I have no idea why it's called Lakeview though since there is no lake nearby other than Goguac Lake but it's not in the view of the lake.

stlukeyo7

i lived in akron and weird how infamous rolling acres became but surely not the only one by now. i have a save rolling acres t shirt somewhere.

Flint1979

In case anyone didn't realize it but I was in Detroit yesterday and drove past Eastland Center which is currently being demolished. So Eastland is a long gone mall now.

roadman65

Quote from: Flint1979 on September 02, 2022, 09:31:55 AM
In case anyone didn't realize it but I was in Detroit yesterday and drove past Eastland Center which is currently being demolished. So Eastland is a long gone mall now.

Amazon hits another.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

royo6022

Washington Square Mall in Evansville, IN... was kind of on its last breath for awhile but there's been a lot of efforts to revitalize it recently. All of the food service booths have shut down except for the Noble Roman's pizza, but there is still a couple clinics and a few retail stores. A consignment shop at the mall just expanded and has brought a lot more traffic in the last few months.
2d Interstates traveled: 4, 10, 15, 39, 40, 44, 57, 64, 65, 66, 68, 69, 70, 71, 74, 75, 76, 78, 79, 80, 81, 88, 90, 94, 95

Flint1979

Quote from: roadman65 on September 02, 2022, 10:00:36 AM

Amazon hits another.
The sad thing is that both Detroit area malls developed by Hudson's are now goners. The other one was Northland. Detroit had all four directions in the name of four of the malls, Eastland, Northland, Southland and Westland. Southland and Westland are still hanging on.

Life in Paradise

Quote from: royo6022 on September 02, 2022, 10:14:06 AM
Washington Square Mall in Evansville, IN... was kind of on its last breath for awhile but there's been a lot of efforts to revitalize it recently. All of the food service booths have shut down except for the Noble Roman's pizza, but there is still a couple clinics and a few retail stores. A consignment shop at the mall just expanded and has brought a lot more traffic in the last few months.

The knife really got twisted in the heart of Washington Square when the still profitable Sears store in the mall closed.  At least the bar in the front is doing well and has expanded.

thenetwork

It was interesting went I went back to visit my hometown are of Northeast Ohio a couple of weeks ago:

I drove by 3 former mall sites -- Euclid Square & Randall Park in Cleveland and Rolling Acres Mall in Akron ‐‐ now all Amazon Distribution Centers.

roadman65

University Mall in Tampa is history.  The parking lot is fenced off while the walls on the former movie house has been ripped off exposing the steel frame.

Their website still claims it's open though.

Sheryl Crowe

Rothman

Shoppingtown Mall in Syracuse, NY has been essentially a dead mall for years now (a few weird businesses came and went).  However, NYSDOT will be conducting a traffic impact study for a plan to redevelop the site.  Will it be another pipe dream or will the development actually occur?  Time will tell.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Brandon

Amazon hits another.

Amazon didn't kill either Eastland or Northland.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

skluth

This may be the creepiest abandoned mall ever

roadman65

Wilson, NC I see that video is of.

Sheryl Crowe

Flint1979

Quote from: skluth on October 15, 2022, 11:14:49 AM

I had to look for a minute to see where that mall was located. Here's another website about the mall: http://skycity2.blogspot.com/2017/12/parkwood-mallwilson-mall-wilson-nc.html

roadman65

Quote from: Flint1979 on October 15, 2022, 01:07:07 PM

I had to look for a minute to see where that mall was located. Here's another website about the mall: http://skycity2.blogspot.com/2017/12/parkwood-mallwilson-mall-wilson-nc.html

It's at the junction of ALT US 264 and NC 42 just north of ( west) of US 301.

Sheryl Crowe

Flint1979

Quote from: roadman65 on October 16, 2022, 07:14:18 AM

Yep I found it. https://www.google.com/maps/@35.7248819,-77.9373745,314m/data=!3m1!1e3 it looks like the Rose's Discount Store is still open too.

Flint1979

Quote from: Brandon on October 15, 2022, 08:31:02 AM

Amazon hits another.

Amazon didn't kill either Eastland or Northland.
Nope I think crime had a lot to do with people not being interested in going there especially at Eastland. There were multiple shootings in the mall's parking lot about 10-15 years ago and all the anchors cleared out of the mall. It's not like it was a successfull mall that just got closed it was in bad shape for a long time.

LM117

Quote from: Flint1979 on October 16, 2022, 07:20:24 AM

Yep I found it. https://www.google.com/maps/@35.7248819,-77.9373745,314m/data=!3m1!1e3 it looks like the Rose's Discount Store is still open too.

I grew up in Fremont (a few miles south of Wilson) and we would often go to that mall during the 90's/2000's. That mall went to shit after Hull bought it. To say that they mismanaged it would be a huge understatement. They did everything they could to run it into the ground. They jacked up the rent, and when the tenants tried to get in touch with Hull over maintenance issues, Hull basically told them to fuck off and not bother them. Not one tenant in that mall had anything good to say about them (especially the owner of Carolina Outfitters, he was very vocal). Hull also drove away teenagers due to new rules they made. Needless to say, a lot of the mall tenants flocked to Heritage Crossing after it opened (those moves were also "assisted" by the Wilson City Council, who wanted more businesses near I-95).

After the mall closed in 2013, Hull bragged about how they were gonna tear down the mall and redevelop the property. That sounded good, until they asked the city council for an apparently hefty tax break. The city council refused, so Hull retaliated by letting the mall just sit there and rot. Hull also owns the mall here in Danville, VA and they're treating the tenants the same way they did in Wilson. They also started talking about redeveloping it (sound familiar?), so I expect this mall will close within the next few years and ask Danville for the tax break that Wilson wouldn't give.

As far as Rose's goes, yes they're still open, but being attached to a rotting mall has been causing issues. Not long before the pandemic began, they had to shut down for a while because of a rat infestation. My most recent visit there was in December 2017.

It sucks what happened to that mall. I have a lot of good memories there as a kid. Oh, and the name change sucked as well. As far as I'm concerned, it's still Parkwood. :coffee:
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

roadman65

Sounds like a bad company this Hull.  What you described gives the word Slum Lord a new vocabulary.

Sheryl Crowe

LM117

Quote from: roadman65 on October 16, 2022, 03:31:56 PM
Sounds like a bad company this Hull.  What you described gives the word Slum Lord a new vocabulary.

Yeah, they do not have a good reputation. They were known as Hull Storey Gibson when they bought Wilson Parkwood Mall, but they revamped themselves and is now Hull Property Group. Their shitty MO is still the same though.

They bought Piedmont Mall here back in 2013, and renamed it Danville Mall, and started making the same changes they did in Wilson. I'll be shocked if it survives this decade.

Flint1979

Quote from: LM117 on October 16, 2022, 03:10:30 PM

I grew up in Fremont (a few miles south of Wilson) and we would often go to that mall during the 90's/2000's. That mall went to shit after Hull bought it. To say that they mismanaged it would be a huge understatement. They did everything they could to run it into the ground. They jacked up the rent, and when the tenants tried to get in touch with Hull over maintenance issues, Hull basically told them to fuck off and not bother them. Not one tenant in that mall had anything good to say about them (especially the owner of Carolina Outfitters, he was very vocal). Hull also drove away teenagers due to new rules they made. Needless to say, a lot of the mall tenants flocked to Heritage Crossing after it opened (those moves were also "assisted" by the Wilson City Council, who wanted more businesses near I-95).

After the mall closed in 2013, Hull bragged about how they were gonna tear down the mall and redevelop the property. That sounded good, until they asked the city council for an apparently hefty tax break. The city council refused, so Hull retaliated by letting the mall just sit there and rot. Hull also owns the mall here in Danville, VA and they're treating the tenants the same way they did in Wilson. They also started talking about redeveloping it (sound familiar?), so I expect this mall will close within the next few years and ask Danville for the tax break that Wilson wouldn't give.

As far as Rose's goes, yes they're still open, but being attached to a rotting mall has been causing issues. Not long before the pandemic began, they had to shut down for a while because of a rat infestation. My most recent visit there was in December 2017.

It sucks what happened to that mall. I have a lot of good memories there as a kid. Oh, and the name change sucked as well. As far as I'm concerned, it's still Parkwood. :coffee:
That is crazy. What is the reason that Rose's is still open at that location anyway? I think I would feel creepy inside that store knowing that the rest of the mall behind the wall that used to be the mall entrance is beyond creepy.

LM117

Quote from: Flint1979 on October 16, 2022, 06:15:16 PM
Quote from: LM117 on October 16, 2022, 03:10:30 PM

That is crazy. What is the reason that Rose's is still open at that location anyway? I think I would feel creepy inside that store knowing that the rest of the mall behind the wall that used to be the mall entrance is beyond creepy.

I'm not sure why they're still there, because when the mall closed in 2013, Hull initially said that all businesses that had an outside entrance could stay, but within the next 2 years, they suddenly started kicking them out too. The owners of Parkwood Barber Shop, which was near the main mall entrance, were pissed, because they had no idea they were gonna get the boot until they got their short notice. They ended up relocating to the corner of Forest Hills Road & Raleigh Road Parkway (US-264 Alternate) and reopened as Webb's Barber Shop. How Rose's survived that purge is beyond me.

I will say that when I was last stopped by Rose's in December 2017, the inside of the store honestly didn't look bad at all at the time. The entrance to the mall corridor was sealed off with glass instead of a solid wall, and they had large rolls of area rugs lined up vertically in front of it to try to keep the mall corridor hidden from view, but you could still see the mall corridor if you get real close to the rugs. I could see the mall corridor was trashed, but not quite as bad as it is now, which would probably explain the rat problem Rose's had fairly recently.

Heh...a guy was busted a few days ago for stealing copper wire from the old AC units on the roof.

https://restorationnewsmedia.com/articles/local-news/man-caught-on-mall-roof-plundering-ac-units/?pub=wilsontimes

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.