News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana

Started by mukade, June 25, 2011, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverback1065

Quote from: SW Indiana on March 14, 2015, 10:28:16 PM
On another topic, I wonder when INDOT will repair the several BGS that blew down in Gibson county in November 2013? I traveled to Evansville today and noticed at least three are still missing, with at least one still laying on the ground. Going on a year and a half seems completely unreasonable to still not be repaired, imo.
This is a problem allover the state. Us 31 in kokomo has a lot plus 421 and 465 have a few as well. And its been a while since they've been knocked down

trafficsignal

Quote from: silverback1065 on March 14, 2015, 11:02:42 PM
Quote from: SW Indiana on March 14, 2015, 10:28:16 PM
On another topic, I wonder when INDOT will repair the several BGS that blew down in Gibson county in November 2013? I traveled to Evansville today and noticed at least three are still missing, with at least one still laying on the ground. Going on a year and a half seems completely unreasonable to still not be repaired, imo.
This is a problem allover the state. Us 31 in kokomo has a lot plus 421 and 465 have a few as well. And its been a while since they've been knocked down

INDOT just released updated post standards last week to deal with the larger signs.  Not that it is a reason for the signs to be laying down for over a year, but hopefully they've addressed the underlying issues by revising the standards.

jhuntin1

It has yet to be voted on in the full Senate, but the Indiana legislature is moving forward a bill that would allow construction on the IN-37 corridor through Marion County.

Indianapolis Star link: http://www.indystar.com/story/news/2015/04/07/panel-clears-way-path-along-ind/25409707/

Henry

It'll be interesting to see what those who do business along the existing road have to say to it, strong freeway opposition aside. I seriously don't think that simply upgrading the highway to freeway standards will hurt their businesses, because there are many frontage roads along Interstates that serve similar business establishments.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

theline

Quote from: jhuntin1 on April 07, 2015, 01:25:00 PM
It has yet to be voted on in the full Senate, but the Indiana legislature is moving forward a bill that would allow construction on the IN-37 corridor through Marion County.

Indianapolis Star link: http://www.indystar.com/story/news/2015/04/07/panel-clears-way-path-along-ind/25409707/

Some of the folks objecting to the SR-37 route seem to have a lot of knowledge that even INDOT doesn't have:
QuoteTom Little, superintendent of Perry Township schools, said the highway would restrict school bus access across the route and increase students' time on buses to as long as one hour and 20 minutes because the number of streets crossing the corridor would decrease from nine to two.

The route has not been selected, and which roads will get an overpass or underpass certainly hasn't been decided.

They will have plenty of opportunity to provide input as the process works itself out. They are choosing the wrong forum (the legislature) for their arguments. INDOT has a history of responsiveness to citizens' legitimate concerns.

silverback1065

Quote from: theline on April 07, 2015, 05:34:55 PM
Quote from: jhuntin1 on April 07, 2015, 01:25:00 PM

Some of the folks objecting to the SR-37 route seem to have a lot of knowledge that even INDOT doesn't have:
QuoteTom Little, superintendent of Perry Township schools, said the highway would restrict school bus access across the route and increase students' time on buses to as long as one hour and 20 minutes because the number of streets crossing the corridor would decrease from nine to two.

The route has not been selected, and which roads will get an overpass or underpass certainly hasn't been decided.

They will have plenty of opportunity to provide input as the process works itself out. They are choosing the wrong forum (the legislature) for their arguments. INDOT has a history of responsiveness to citizens' legitimate concerns.
You are right, the superintendent is talking out of his ass on this issue, you can't say anything about access when the entire corridor hasn't even been designed. And his delays he claims are also unfounded. If you look at the corridor there is no reason why all cross streets can't cross the interstate.

tdindy88

Never stopped me from attending Perry Township schools, I had to cross Interstate 65 every day. And only two crossings? I see Banta, Edgewood, Southport, Wicker and County Line, more than two to me.

Indyroads

And a highway will be there;
    it will be called the Way of Holiness;
    it will be for those who walk on that Way.
The unclean will not journey on it;
    wicked fools will not go about on it.
Isaiah 35:8-10 (NIV)

DeaconG

Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

codyg1985

Quote from: Indyroads on April 08, 2015, 04:09:07 PM
The pathway has been CLEARED for I-69 to proceed up SR-37 through marion county

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/2015/04/07/panel-clears-way-path-along-ind/25409707/

The take away I got from the article is that it allows IN 37 to be an alternative to be considered in determining the route of I-69, not that it will definitely use IN 37.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

silverback1065

Quote from: codyg1985 on April 09, 2015, 07:08:13 AM
Quote from: Indyroads on April 08, 2015, 04:09:07 PM
The pathway has been CLEARED for I-69 to proceed up SR-37 through marion county

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/2015/04/07/panel-clears-way-path-along-ind/25409707/

The take away I got from the article is that it allows IN 37 to be an alternative to be considered in determining the route of I-69, not that it will definitely use IN 37.
I feel like its almost certainly going over 37. No alternative really makes any sense, they're just saying all this so they won't piss off people on the corridor anymore. It honestly doesn't matter which route they take, someone is going to get pissed.

Rick Powell

Quote from: silverback1065 on April 09, 2015, 07:32:24 AM
I feel like its almost certainly going over 37. No alternative really makes any sense, they're just saying all this so they won't piss off people on the corridor anymore. It honestly doesn't matter which route they take, someone is going to get pissed.

According to NEPA regulations, "all reasonable alternatives" must be considered and the premature rejection of an alternative could be the basis for a lawsuit.  So could undue legislative influence, if it could be shown that a chosen route was otherwise inferior to one that was superior but for the fact that the legislature didn't allow it to be considered.

Indyroads

there also needs to be a relaxing of some of the requirements of EIS reports and studies. No one cares about snail darters and sand fly habitats. these supposed protections seem to be fodder for endless lawsuits that are really NIMBY motivated.

silverback1065

Quote from: Indyroads on April 09, 2015, 06:09:54 PM
there also needs to be a relaxing of some of the requirements of EIS reports and studies. No one cares about snail darters and sand fly habitats. these supposed protections seem to be fodder for endless lawsuits that are really NIMBY motivated.
I believe that's why the small gap on us 31 in Benton harbor Michigan hasn't been filled. Lawsuit about some butterflies or something.

ARMOURERERIC

I would like to at least see a significant amount/impact assigned and considered for the projected deaths due to lack of upgrade.  I have a road in San Diego, CA 67 from lakeside to Ramona that has statistically become the most dangerous rad in the state some years 15-20 people die, but any improvements can't get past enviro muster.

jhuntin1

The legislature passed the bill allowing I-69 to use SR-37 in Marion County and it now heads to Governor Pence's desk. No indications of whether he'll sign it or not, but I don't know why he wouldn't.

IndyStar link: http://www.indystar.com/story/news/politics/2015/04/13/bill-allowing-cut-perry-township-heads-pence/25740679/

silverback1065

Quote from: jhuntin1 on April 13, 2015, 07:54:08 PM
The legislature passed the bill allowing I-69 to use SR-37 in Marion County and it now heads to Governor Pence's desk. No indications of whether he'll sign it or not, but I don't know why he wouldn't.

IndyStar link: http://www.indystar.com/story/news/politics/2015/04/13/bill-allowing-cut-perry-township-heads-pence/25740679/
After the most recent controversy, I feel he doesn't want to have another one on his hands. He should sign it (I hope)!

Henry

Quote from: silverback1065 on April 13, 2015, 07:55:49 PM
Quote from: jhuntin1 on April 13, 2015, 07:54:08 PM

After the most recent controversy, I feel he doesn't want to have another one on his hands. He should sign it (I hope)!
I'd be surprised if he didn't do it! Since there's no other way around it, it's an absolute must.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

truejd

Is there any update on section 4's completion date. The Indiana I69 page hasn't been updated in a while

thefro

Quote from: truejd on April 14, 2015, 01:29:14 PM
Is there any update on section 4's completion date. The Indiana I69 page hasn't been updated in a while

Later this year is still the only time frame INDOT has given.

QuoteSection 4 is currently under construction and is slated to open to traffic in 2015.

Here's the updated completion percentages as of yesterday

Indyroads

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on April 10, 2015, 02:10:30 AM
I would like to at least see a significant amount/impact assigned and considered for the projected deaths due to lack of upgrade.  I have a road in San Diego, CA 67 from lakeside to Ramona that has statistically become the most dangerous rad in the state some years 15-20 people die, but any improvements can't get past enviro muster.

The enviros have long been a problem in California. I call them freeway killers. The gap closure for SR-65 (eastside freeeway) killed by special interests and enviros. SR-244 (a much needed link across town to us 50 killed by nimbys and enviros. even SR-102 was ultimately killed by the same. Not even sure that the placer porkway will ever be built but i remember the enviros had a field day with that one too. Every time California has tried to make progress in dealing with congestion the enviros get in the way.

You can't stop the sprawl in California because so many people want to live there.

Here in Indiana sprawl occurs because people dont want to live in the older decrepid areas. Indy needs a facelift. But alas the nimbys would get in the way. The expressway plan of long ago should have been built... and TONS of roads in indy need to be widened.

silverback1065

Quote from: Indyroads on April 14, 2015, 04:37:35 PM
Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on April 10, 2015, 02:10:30 AM

The enviros have long been a problem in California. I call them freeway killers. The gap closure for SR-65 (eastside freeeway) killed by special interests and enviros. SR-244 (a much needed link across town to us 50 killed by nimbys and enviros. even SR-102 was ultimately killed by the same. Not even sure that the placer porkway will ever be built but i remember the enviros had a field day with that one too. Every time California has tried to make progress in dealing with congestion the enviros get in the way.

You can't stop the sprawl in California because so many people want to live there.

Here in Indiana sprawl occurs because people dont want to live in the older decrepid areas. Indy needs a facelift. But alas the nimbys would get in the way. The expressway plan of long ago should have been built... and TONS of roads in indy need to be widened.

Environmentalists are so full of crap, they claim they care so much about the environment, but don't seem to care about how not doing these project actually hurts the environment even more.  The added congestion created by not doing anything will lead to worse air quality and more smog, which would harm human health, not to mention the amount of people killed due to inaction in so many situations

silverback1065

Indy roads, I also agree with your assessment about indianapolis, all of the congestion problems are concentrated on the east side, which just so happens to be the same side of town where Fishers and Noblesville is.  The highway the NIMBYS killed I-69 inside the loop would be greatly needed right now!  Recently Allisonville road should was going to be widened to 4 lanes from 82nd south to Binford, but NIMBYS killed that too.  In a perfect world, Keystone would be I-X70 and Binford would be I-69.  Indianapolis' big problem is just as you said, no one wants to live in the city anymore (well outside the loop they do), so they move to the suburbs.  Indianapolis' city streets are in bad condition in many ways.  In many ways I think Unigov was a bad idea, but that was way before my time.  I also heard that the 69 interchange with 465 was purposely not fixed because politicians feared that it would attract more people and traffic to the area (not sure how true that is, just a rumor I heard)

tdindy88

Not quite sure if I've ever heard of Fishers and Noblesville being on the "east side" of town. Of course, once I-69 gets extended up to I-465, presumably up SR 37, then that will add even more traffic along that stretch of highway. They'll have to make 465 ten lanes from I-70 to I-69 and at least eight lanes along the southern part of the beltway up to I-70.

vdeane

Quote from: Indyroads on April 14, 2015, 04:37:35 PM
The drought might take care of that.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.