News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana

Started by mukade, June 25, 2011, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

02 Park Ave

I've read that the UNHCR has developed plans for the ultimate evacuation of California.
C-o-H

Brandon

Quote from: silverback1065 on April 09, 2015, 06:14:25 PM
Quote from: Indyroads on April 09, 2015, 06:09:54 PM
there also needs to be a relaxing of some of the requirements of EIS reports and studies. No one cares about snail darters and sand fly habitats. these supposed protections seem to be fodder for endless lawsuits that are really NIMBY motivated.
I believe that's why the small gap on us 31 in Benton harbor Michigan hasn't been filled. Lawsuit about some butterflies or something.

They tried that bullshit to stop the I-355 extension with a dragonfly.  That is, until everyone else wised up and realized that the dragonfly inhabits the entire Des Plaines River Valley, not just the area where the I-355 bridge was going to be.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

thefro

thefro

Henry

And that's just the beginning! I have a feeling that most, if not all, of IN 37 will be redone into I-69 from Bloomington to Indy, because where else could you put it?
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

silverback1065

Quote from: Henry on April 29, 2015, 01:39:01 PM
And that's just the beginning! I have a feeling that most, if not all, of IN 37 will be redone into I-69 from Bloomington to Indy, because where else could you put it?

that's the only way you really can.  I know people would disagree with me, but any other routing is a bad idea, I really feel like INDOT is going in the same direction.  I know that they are mandated by law to have alternatives, but I feel like it's just a formality, they know they want it on 37, they're just going through the ropes for the other routes.  the other route i can picture would be using SR 67, but tying it in at where it crosses 465 would be a disaster due to the proximity to 70, rush hour weaving issues come to mind.  Other idea are to tie it in at the airport interchange, I don't like either of those ideas, but these are just my feelings on the subject.

thefro

tdindy88

I was just reading up on the website for Section 5 of I-69 that the interchanges at Fullerton Pike, Tapp Road and Sample Road will now feature roundabouts. I guess that's a fine choice given the growth of such intersections in the Bloomington area. At least they are leaving the SR 45 and SR 48 interchanges alone. I am also kind of impressed by the aesthetic choices being made along the highway with some of the bridges being designed and whatnot. For a community that didn't really want the interstate (or at least it seemed) they are going to have the prettiest interstate in all of Indiana.

One other note, I guess my dad's going to one of the Section 6 meetings being held in a week or so. I'm not sure if I can tag along but I'd be interested in hearing what's being said, now that the law banning the highway in Perry Township has been repealed. Like others here, I'm pretty confident the intestate will eventually follow 37 up to 465.

codyg1985

Quote from: tdindy88 on May 06, 2015, 09:55:12 PM
I was just reading up on the website for Section 5 of I-69 that the interchanges at Fullerton Pike, Tapp Road and Sample Road will now feature roundabouts. I guess that's a fine choice given the growth of such intersections in the Bloomington area. At least they are leaving the SR 45 and SR 48 interchanges alone. I am also kind of impressed by the aesthetic choices being made along the highway with some of the bridges being designed and whatnot. For a community that didn't really want the interstate (or at least it seemed) they are going to have the prettiest interstate in all of Indiana.

It seems like INDOT has fallen in love with roundabouts at the connecting roads at diamond interchanges as of late. See US 31 north of Indy and I-69 Exit 317 north of Fort Wayne.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

silverback1065

Quote from: codyg1985 on May 07, 2015, 07:03:03 AM
Quote from: tdindy88 on May 06, 2015, 09:55:12 PM

It seems like INDOT has fallen in love with roundabouts at the connecting roads at diamond interchanges as of late. See US 31 north of Indy and I-69 Exit 317 north of Fort Wayne.

31 is carmel's fault, but INDOT's policy now is to consider alternate intersections for all new construction, so traffic lights and stop signs will be considered last. 

theline

Roundabouts are springing up all over the state, even in projects that don't involve INDOT. South Bend, for example, has lots of them and has more planned.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: theline on May 07, 2015, 12:49:44 PM
Roundabouts are springing up all over the state, even in projects that don't involve INDOT. South Bend, for example, has lots of them and has more planned.

Two new ones just east of the Evansville airport.  People seemed a little hesitant when I was through there.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: theline on May 07, 2015, 12:49:44 PM

I'm aware of a few out in Harris Twp.  Are there actually some in the city of SB?  If so, where?
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

thefro

Press release on I-69 Section 6... there will be meetings May 18/May 19 for feedback on the potential routes and alternatives, etc in Greenwood/Martinsville

QuoteI-69 Section 6 Hosts Public Meetings May 18 and 19, Open House and Public- Comment Sessions Included

INDIANAPOLIS (May 6, 2015) — The Indiana Department of Transportation announced today it will host two public meetings in the coming weeks to share information and collect public comment on the transportation needs and route alternatives being considered in the environmental-impact study for Interstate 69 from Martinsville to Indianapolis, known formally as Section 6.

The first meeting will take place on May 18 at Center Grove North Middle School, 202 N. Morgantown Rd. in Greenwood. The second meeting will occur on May 19 at Martinsville High School, 1360 E. Gray St. in Martinsville. Doors will open for both meetings at 5:30 p.m. with an open house session, followed by a formal presentation and public comment session in the auditorium at 6:30 p.m.

The meetings will cover two important project topics: the draft purpose and need and conceptual alternatives. The draft purpose and need describes the transportation-related needs that the project is designed to address. It establishes the basis for developing a range of reasonable alternatives in the environmental-impact study and assists in the identification and eventual selection of a preferred alternative.

The conceptual alternatives being considered for the project are based upon INDOT project-team analysis of the feedback previously collected from the public and resource agencies in February 2015.
Written comments, special accommodations

The public may submit advance comments prior to the meeting. Those comments can be submitted using the comment form at www.in.gov/indot/projects/i69/2463.htm and by contacting I-69 Section 6 directly at 317-881- 6408 or section6pm@indot.in.gov. The public can also visit the I-69 Section project office located at 7847 Waverly Road, Martinsville, IN 46151. The office will be open Monday — Friday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. and will be closed on state holidays. The deadline for public comments for this phase of the project is June 2, 2015.

Special accommodations will be made for individuals needing auxiliary aids or services of interpreters, signers, readers, or large print. Anyone with such needs should contact Rickie Clark, INDOT's office of public involvement, at 317-232-6601 or rclark@indot.in.gov.
Surveying begins along S.R. 37

Property owners and motorists may see an increasing variety of environmental field work in the coming weeks along S.R. 37 between Martinsville and Indianapolis as part of the second phase of the environmental-impact study. Letters were mailed to impacted property owners in February before the field work began. Landowners are welcome to request photo identification showing the I-69 logo before surveyors enter private property.
About I-69

The new Interstate 69 between Evansville and Indianapolis is a key component to the future economic vitality of southwestern Indiana, and will connect an entire region with improved access to jobs, education and healthcare.

The 142-mile I-69 corridor is divided into six sections. The first three sections opened for business in November 2012, saving motorists more than 30 minutes of travel time between Evansville and Crane. I-69 Section 4 between Crane and Bloomington is expected to open to traffic by the end of this year. I-69 Development Partners is rehabilitating and upgrading the existing State Road 37 between Bloomington and Martinsville into I-69 Section 5.

In fall of 2014, I-69 Section 6 resumed the second phase (Tier 2) of a two-part environmental-impact study that began in 1999 to determine a selected route for I-69 Section 6. The second phase, required by federal law, will study the route aligned with State Road 37, which was selected in 2004 during the first phase (Tier 1) of the environmental study. Due to the potential for significant impacts or changed conditions since 2004, this second phase will study a range of different routes.

mukade

QuoteAt a press briefing before Monday's Greenwood and today's Martinsville Interstate 69 Section 6 meeting, Indiana Department of Transportation representatives said there are 13 conceptual routes from the south side of Martinsville to Indianapolis under consideration.

I-69 alternatives for Martinsville-Indianapolis section whittled to list of 13 (Indiana Economic Digest/Reporter-Times)

andy

I was in Martinsville today.  Interesting presentation.
Overall everyone seemed positive and supportive and there was not the overwhelming security presence of past meetings.

I'd adivise visiting the state document site; http://www.in.gov/indot/projects/i69/2343.htm.

I liked Appendix A best.  It shows the alternatives and divides them into East (to I65 near Franklin), Central (mostly following SR37) and West (to I70 about 10 miles from I465).

Table A2 estimates relative cost.  All central alternatives are $$$$ to $$$$$, and the East and West are all $ and $$.

But travel time "saved" is over 6,000 hours for Central alternatives and only 570 for the West and 213 for the East.

And finally, it if SR37 is followed, the interchange will be moved to the West about one mile.

Public comments tilted toward West and connecting near the airport.

Revive 755

Have to wonder if one of the alternatives that connects to I-70 or I-65 instead of I-465 is chosen if IN 37 would not end up needing upgrades later anyway.

silverback1065

Quote from: Revive 755 on May 19, 2015, 11:12:44 PM
Have to wonder if one of the alternatives that connects to I-70 or I-65 instead of I-465 is chosen if IN 37 would not end up needing upgrades later anyway.
If that would happen I feel like what happened to sr 431 would happen, but since this is Indianapolis, they likely would do nothing

Henry

If I were in charge of the routing committee, I'd choose the most direct route possible (hence all of IN 37).
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

silverback1065

Quote from: Henry on May 20, 2015, 12:14:41 PM
If I were in charge of the routing committee, I'd choose the most direct route possible (hence all of IN 37).
I agree, all the alternates are horrible. The only one that looks ok IMO is the 67 overlap to 70

thefro

It seems like the western route would be cheaper to initially build, provides better access to the airport and close to the same access to downtown Indy as SR 37. 

SR 37 would be a better route for thru traffic and the theoretical truck traffic that would be coming from Mexico to Canada, and you wouldn't have to maintain both I-69 and most of SR37 from Martinsville to Indy as separate roads.

silverback1065

Quote from: thefro on May 20, 2015, 03:57:52 PM
It seems like the western route would be cheaper to initially build, provides better access to the airport and close to the same access to downtown Indy as SR 37. 

SR 37 would be a better route for thru traffic and the theoretical truck traffic that would be coming from Mexico to Canada, and you wouldn't have to maintain both I-69 and most of SR37 from Martinsville to Indy as separate roads.
Do you think that if 69 goes on the route to connect near the airport, they would decommission SR 67 or 37 (or both) in between 465 and Martinsville and cosign them on the interstates?

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: silverback1065 on May 20, 2015, 04:01:46 PM

Do you think that if 69 goes on the route to connect near the airport, they would decommission SR 67 or 37 (or both) in between 465 and Martinsville and cosign them on the interstates?

I highly doubt Indy is willing to take over SR37 or SR67.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Henry

Quote from: cabiness42 on May 21, 2015, 10:51:09 AM
Quote from: silverback1065 on May 20, 2015, 04:01:46 PM

I highly doubt Indy is willing to take over SR37 or SR67.
They'd be better off leaving both state routes as is. Especially IN 37, which would need to maintain its direct path around the Indy area.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.