Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana

Started by mukade, June 25, 2011, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

busman_49

Quote from: ITB on September 17, 2015, 04:07:41 PM

There's a part of me that feels as if I'm taking up too much space in the forum, but the pictures are burning a hole in my Flickr account. Besides, some are already five days old, and with the pace of construction now underway, the paving, etc., they'll soon be, well, "old."

Great photos!  I don't live anywhere near there but it's great to see things like this documented.  Keep posting away!

ITB

Here we go. Pics!

Looking north toward the Hobbieville Road overpass in Greene County, Indiana. The Mack tri-axle dump truck is returning after delivering its load of stone aggregate. Milestone Contractors (Indiana I-69 Project, Section 4, Segments 4/5/6a).

A crew works a concrete pour for an approach slab for the bridge carrying southbound I-69 over State Road 54 in Greene County, Indiana; looking south. In the background are the bridges carrying the interstate over Mitchell Branch, a tributary of Indian Creek. Further on, over the ridge and then some, is the I-69/State Road 45 interchange.

Another perspective of the bridges carrying Interstate 69 over Mitchell Branch; looking south. On the right is the abutment for the bridge over State Road 54.

A more expansive view of the construction near State Road 54; looking south. On the right, a crew is prepping the bridge approach for a concrete pour.

Another view of the crew working the State Road 54 bridge approach.

Concrete mixers head toward the State Road 54 work zone to pour a bridge approach slab. The same two mixers are seen delivering their load in a photo above.

ITB

Another set ...

Looking east toward the I-69/State Road 45 interchange in Greene County, Indiana; from near Old Clifty Road. Milestone Contractors was responsible for the interchange and the approaches; White Construction, most of the road shown.

Milestone Contractors (Indiana I-69 Project, Section 4, Segments 4/5/6a); White Construction (Section 4, Segment 3).

A more expansive view of the road and the State Road 45 interchange; looking east. Crews have begin putting up fences, and although I'm tempted, the barbs seem mighty sharp.

Looking northwest toward the bridges carrying I-69 over Mineral-Koleen Road in Greene County, Indiana. It appears deck pours have begun on the northbound bridge. For bridges of this kind, there's a specific order in how sections are poured, engineering standards which are set by AASHTO, I believe. Dang fence!

White Construction (Indiana I-69 Project, Section 4, Segment 3).

A close up view of the road; looking northwest from near Old Clifty Road in Greene County, Indiana.

The field office compound for I-69 contractor White Construction on E. Spruce Road in Greene County, Indiana.

The main office of the field compound for White Construction on E. Spruce Road.

ITB

And one more set ... for now ...

Looking west from the Burch Road overpass toward the bridges over Breeden Road and Indian Creek in Monroe County, Indiana. Paving is moving south from bridges in the direction of W. Carter Road. The northbound roadway is being prepped with base stone aggregate. E & B Paving, prime contractor (Indiana I-69 Project, Section 4, Segments 6/7).

A more expansive view from the Burch Road overpass; looking west.

Crews for contractor E. S. Wagner Co. work to shape an embankment just east of Harmony Road in Monroe County, Indiana; looking east. This is final area of earth work for Segment 8, and even though it appears larger, it's only about a quarter mile total.

E. S. Wagner Co., prime contractor (Indiana I-69 Project, Section 4, Segment 8)

Close up of the excavation work to shape an embankment near Harmony Road.

A crew is apparently working to identify and mark the location of drainage piping near the Burch Road overpass. Exactly what they were doing and why I was reluctant to ask; they seemed busy. E & B Paving, prime contractor.

Check out more I-69 construction pics at https://www.flickr.com/photos/132926214@N07/

andy

Cleaning up email and found this notice from Indiana Department of Transportation <indot@subscriptions.in.gov>  ;
I-69 Section 6 Announces "Save the Date"  for 4th Quarter Public Information Meetings

INDIANAPOLIS — The Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT) is announcing dates and locations of the 4th quarter public information meeting for Interstate 69 from Martinsville to Indianapolis, known formally as Section 6.

INDOT intends to hold 4th quarter public information meetings in the following communities:

Perry Township — Nov. 30
Mooresville — Dec. 1
Martinsville — Dec. 3
The project team is currently in the process of evaluating the five routes still being considered known as the preliminary alternatives. The five routes will be screened to a smaller set of routes known as the reasonable alternatives based on the Purpose and Need performance measures, impacts to the human and natural environments, and cost.

The reasonable alternatives will be presented at the 4th quarter meeting this year. Access road, proposed interchanges and layout of the interstate will also be discussed and presented.

Hosting locations are still being finalized, but INDOT anticipates releasing those details next month.

CONTACT: LaMar Holliday, 317-881-6408 or lholliday@indot.in.gov

SW Indiana

As always, bravo with the pics. Love the Flickr page as well.

Moose

Progress on Section 5 continues.

They are finally constructing the east abutment for the Vernal pike overpass. Also a MASSIVE precast piece for the road just west of the road has arrived. This thing is huge. I am guessing this gets the local road under the new Vernal pike overpass.

Pavement patching drags on, the old slab is so clapped out in places that when they excavate the median to expose the side of the slab (for re-profiling)
chunks are falling off the slab into the excavated area. So when a chunk falls off, the chip and crack gang goes to work.
They also have ceased any work at this moment to cut the slab where there are concrete turn lanes. The last one took a couple solid weeks to get removed.

I know that using the old pavement is a cost saving measure, but I wonder if it's worth it seeing the work that went into saving it. Some of it was clapped out as hell. And even the paved sections on the NB lanes show a lot of wear. My guess is they get 5 years and they will be back pouring new slabs.

New electrical lines are complete in most places. Removal of old not proceeding yet.

There is a suspicious LACK of work anywhere near Oliver winery/Worms way. In looking at the diagrams it shows a access road running right in front of the Oliver winery. But the NB lanes are right up on the fence there. I am wondering if they are not going to shift the entire road to the west. The NB lanes becoming the access road, SB becomes the NB and the SB getting new lanes. My guess is supported by the fact they have a cleared a LOT of land on the west side of IN37 there.

Judging by the posted timeline and what I am seeing, they are 2 months behind. Mostly due to power line moving delays and the condition of the slab.

The south most two crossovers are nearly done, and judging by the spray pained white marker lines on the crossovers, it won't be long until the SB lanes host a two lane road going up and down the big hill where the road spreads apart.

ITB

A few more pics!

Looking south toward the bridges that will carry I-69 over E. Mineral-Koleen Road in Greene County, Indiana. White Construction (Indiana I-69 Project, Section 4, Segment 3).

The bridges over E. Mineral-Koleen Road from another perspective; looking southeast.

Yet another perspective of the bridges over E. Mineral-Koleen Road; looking north. A section of the southbound span has recently received a concrete deck pour.

A more expansive view of the bridges over E. Mineral-Koleen Road; looking south.

View of the roadway about a quarter-mile north of the bridges over E. Mineral-Koleen Road; looking south.

More to come!

oscar

Quote from: txstateends on September 12, 2015, 12:12:01 PM
I guess that's probably the biggest thing for me about seeing any progress on I-49 and I-69 -- these will be the first major interstates to be completed (as well as having extensive coverage of construction) in the internet age.  Before, we really had to wait for what was often spotty newspaper or TV news coverage.

Well, there was extensive Internet coverage (including lots of photos) of I-26 construction in North Carolina near the Tennessee border, many years ago. That was John Lansford's project, as was his personal website on the project.

Indiana's not my neck of the woods, just here trying to find out the likely opening date for the next I-69 segment there.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

tdindy88

There has been no date announced though it would be between now and the end of the year, obviously not now. My experience with Indiana and these projects my money is honestly on within a week of Thanksgiving. That is purely my speculation however.

Moose

Bridge replacement has just started on Section 5, they started on the one at  39°20'8.18"N  86°30'40.55"W. Bryant's Creek bridge.

All traffic is using the SB lanes between the two middle crossovers just placed.

I-39

Where are they gonna put I-69 between Martinsville and Indianapolis?

US 41

Quote from: I-39 on September 28, 2015, 09:47:52 PM
Where are they gonna put I-69 between Martinsville and Indianapolis?

Most likely on SR 37 where it belongs.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

silverback1065

We will find out for sure later this year, i believe

Moose

I think they are going thru the motions of looking at other routes. But Section 6 will be on IN37 most of us think.

Only new build stuff should be where IN37 connects to I 465. That section is a cluster anyway.

ITB

Been meaning to get some pics up, so let's get to it. Photos were taken September 20, 2015, unless otherwise noted.

The first set is of the massive long bridge that crosses Black Ankle Creek in Greene County. I get down there last Sunday only to have a series of persistent clouds block out the sun, or nearly so, so it was rather frustrating.

The bridge carrying I-69 over Black Ankle Creek and the surrounding valley in Greene County, Indiana; looking northwest. Because the bridge is so long, it's difficult to photograph. The bridge will carry both the north and southbound lanes, separated by a concrete barrier wall. Millstone Weber/Kolb J.V., prime contractor (Indiana I-69 Project, Section 4, Segment 2).

Close up view of the bridge.

The bridge from another perspective. Yes, sir, keeping the American spirit alive.

The view from the bridge deck. If work extends into evening, they're prepared. Rebar for the 4'6" high (my estimate) concrete barrier wall that will separate the traffic lanes is in place, but the concrete pours have yet to begin.

Another view of the bridge crossing Black Ankle Creek. It's 1600 feet in length, with the bridge deck about 80 feet above the ground.

ITB

Another set. Again, photos were taken September 20, 2015, unless otherwise noted.

The northbound lanes of Interstate 69 in Greene County, Indiana; looking east from near the bridge that will carry I-69 over Black Ankle Creek and the surrounding valley. There are only two small stretches of roadway of Section 4 that feature asphalt pavement: Segment 2 (shown) and Segment 9, up near the I-69/SR 37 interchange. Millstone Weber/Kolb J.V., prime contractor (Indiana I-69 Project, Section 4, Segment 2).

Looking west toward the bridge over Black Ankle Creek. The concrete median wall that separates the traffic lanes is, apparently, not only limited to the bridge, but extends far out in both directions. It's possible this barrier runs the entire length of Segment 2.

Looking west toward the bridges that will carry I-69 over Dry Branch in Greene County, Indiana. In the background, the end of the asphalt pavement marks the dividing line between Segments 2 and 3 of Section 4. White Construction, prime contractor (Indiana I-69 Project, Section 4, Segment 3); Millstone Weber/Kolb J.V., prime contractor (Section 4, Segment 2)

Mid-range view of the bridges over Dry Branch.

The bridges over Dry Branch from another perspective; looking west. These bridges look similar to those that cross E. Mineral-Koleen Road, but the difference is the Dry Branch bridges feature single massive piers, while the Mineral-Koleen bridges have three-column bents. White Construction, prime contractor (Indiana I-69 Project, Section 4, Segment 3).

Close up view of the falsework for the southbound span over Dry Branch; looking west. It's part of the job, but I've got to say these bridge construction guys have considerable fortitude to get themselves out there on the edge day after day.

ITB

And yet another set. Photos were taken September 27, 2015, unless otherwise noted.

A broad view encompassing the bridges crossing E. Mineral-Koleen Road in Greene County, Indiana; looking northeast. White Construction, prime contractor (Indiana I-69 Project, Section 4, Segment 3). Photo was taken September 20, 2015.

Looking west toward State Road 445 from the I-69/SR 445 interchange in Greene County, Indiana. E & B Paving, prime contractor (Indiana I-69 Project, Section 4, Segments 6/7).

Mid-range perspective of the overpasses carrying Interstate 69 over State Road 445 at the I-69/SR 445 interchange; looking east.

Close up of the I-69/SR 445 overpasses.

The western roundabout at the I-69/SR 445 interchange; looking west.

The end of the road ... literally. Looking east from near the I-69/SR 445 interchange.

The southbound span over Rockport Road in Monroe County, Indiana, with a concrete deck finisher installed on rails; looking east. (E. S. Wagner Co., prime contractor (Indiana I-69 Project, Section 4, Segment 8). Photo was taken September 23, 2015.

Later I'll put up some pictures of Section 5 as well as others showing how things are progressing at Carter Road in Monroe County. It's amazing what they've accomplished.

Want more I-69 construction photos? Check out my Flickr account at https://www.flickr.com/photos/132926214@N07/

ModernDayWarrior

Just wanted to say that these pictures of I-69 construction are awesome. Nice work, ITB.

davewiecking

Quote from: ModernDayWarrior on October 01, 2015, 01:39:58 AM
Just wanted to say that these pictures of I-69 construction are awesome. Nice work, ITB.
I think that every time a new set is posted. Will be sorry when they finish and nothing new will be left to document! :clap:

Henry

I agree, it is nice to see that IN is serious about getting I-69 back to Indy. Seeing that the Binford Blvd. section was cancelled many years ago, perhaps we'll be seeing a Capital Beltway-style reworking of the eastern half of I-465, unless it's already happening.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

TravelingBethelite

Quote from: Henry on October 02, 2015, 01:06:23 PM
I agree, it is nice to see that IN is serious about getting I-69 back to Indy. Seeing that the Binford Blvd. section was cancelled many years ago, perhaps we'll be seeing a Capital Beltway-style reworking of the eastern half of I-465, unless it's already happening.

From Interstate Guide All you need to know about Interstate Highways, a service of AARoads.com™
QuoteThe new Interstate 69 will reconnect with existing Interstate 69 at Indianapolis via a shared alignment with Interstate 465 along the south and east sides of the city.
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

silverback1065

Quote from: Henry on October 02, 2015, 01:06:23 PM

There's a stupid idea being floated around called the "commerce connector" that will bypass the east side of 465.  Highly unlikely to happen, no one in the area wants it, and good luck getting the land for it. 

tdindy88

I-465 through a couple of projects has basically been rebuilt from I-65 north to the I-69 interchange along the east side. From I-70 northward it was widened to at least four lanes on each side. The rest was rebuilt as a six-lane interstate. That said, the reconstruction was probably done before it was generally acknowledged that I-69 would share pavement with that part of the beltway and seeing that 465 already gets heavy traffic daily along stretches of that road some lane additions may be required before I-69 is routed on it. The six-lane segment from the future I-69 exit on the south side east to I-74 will carry only six lanes plus auxiliary lanes between I-65 and Emerson, surely a wider freeway will be needed to carry that much along that highway.

vtk

Quote from: tdindy88 on October 02, 2015, 06:03:24 PM
I-465 through a couple of projects has basically been rebuilt from I-65 north to the I-69 interchange along the east side. From I-70 northward it was widened to at least four lanes on each side. The rest was rebuilt as a six-lane interstate. That said, the reconstruction was probably done before it was generally acknowledged that I-69 would share pavement with that part of the beltway and seeing that 465 already gets heavy traffic daily along stretches of that road some lane additions may be required before I-69 is routed on it. The six-lane segment from the future I-69 exit on the south side east to I-74 will carry only six lanes plus auxiliary lanes between I-65 and Emerson, surely a wider freeway will be needed to carry that much along that highway.

I don't think I-69's completion will bring that much more traffic to I-465. All the potential I-69 traffic already exists; it just goes via different routes south of Indy.  And all that long-haul traffic is actually a fairly low-volume component, dwarfed by the commuters and other local trips.  As far as I-465 is concerned, the most noticeable traffic change will probably be between the current south OH 37 junction and the new south I-69 junction, a stretch which should be completely contained in the project limits for the new interchange, so any "new" volume can be accommodated without incurring additional projects.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.