News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana

Started by mukade, June 25, 2011, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARMOURERERIC

Keeping in mind Indiana's goal of getting a freeway route to Evansville.  Any additional exits need to be reactive and if developer driven, a contribution made to their construction.

tdindy88

Bloomington IS like "The People's Republic of Ann Arbor." And even with that, B-Town will have more exits off of I-69 than Ann Arbor does off of I-94. With that in mind, Bloomington, in my eyes anyway, has been more interested in development within the city itself, infill stuff in the areas around Downtown and IU. The typical suburban sprawl is more east and south of town with a string heading northwest to Ellettsville.

As for SW of town, I for one would actually be okay if growth is limited in that area. Monroe County is one of the most scenic counties in the state and I would like to see it remain that way. And even for SR 445 and that area I think the growth will remain limited, that terrain isn't the greatest for building upon.

As for the number of exits, I was just counting the number of interchanges along I-69 from I-64 to SR 37, it's 10 exits. Along I-64 from I-69 eastward, it's ten exits out to the Floyd County line, nearly in the Louisville metro area. 

mvak36

Something I thought of today (and this is totally random lol); With the new section of I-69 opening tomorrow, every university in the Big Ten is now within 10 miles of an interstate.

Random sidenote over :D
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

JimBob

Back in the day, the best drive time from Evansville to Bloomington (door to door) was 2 hours and 15 minutes.  If you got stuck behind a tractor, coal truck or 90 year old biddy, it could take 2 hours and 45 minutes.

So reducing the best time by 45 minutes will make it 1 hour 30 minutes.  Possibly less, depending on your speed.

silverback1065

I think the Indiana autobahn's days are numbered now that this new stretch is opening.

Nexus 6P

2trailertrucker

Quote from: GaryV on December 08, 2015, 04:43:43 PM
Quote from: vdeane on December 08, 2015, 01:46:29 PM
Also, I don't see anywhere in the article saying that Bloomington itself raised objections to having more interchanges; the word "Bloomington" just happens to appear in the preceding sentence, which mentions that there are not exits between it and IN 445.  The agreement is likely with one of many agencies concerned with environmental protection, possibly the Army Corps of Engineers.
Perhaps I'm wrong, but I get the feeling that Bloomington is similar to "The People's Republic of Ann Arbor" so that would be a completely logical assumption that Bloomington was against having more exits.

Bloomington also made it known they didn't want any truck stops in the area.
They were/are a pain in the ass to everyone!

EngineerTM

Also, I don't see anywhere in the article saying that Bloomington itself raised objections to having more interchanges; the word "Bloomington" just happens to appear in the preceding sentence, which mentions that there are not exits between it and IN 445.  The agreement is likely with one of many agencies concerned with environmental protection, possibly the Army Corps of Engineers.

I moved to this area a little over a decade ago, and been following the development of I-69 fairly closely.  This article that you read only provides minimal information.  However, over the whole time period that I've followed it, activists and local officials from Bloomington and (to a somewhat lesser degree) Perry Township in Marion County have vigorously opposed this interstate at every stage and used every means at their disposal to stop this project from ever happening.  I believe that this opposition is the reason that it has taken this long to get the first 4 sections done and section 5 started.  And they are not finished; I've already read about the same objections being raised at the public hearings for the final section 6.  The politics in this state are, by far, the most parochial, petty, selfish, and short-sighted that I have ever seen than in any other place I've lived.

silverback1065

Quote from: EngineerTM on December 08, 2015, 05:50:35 PM

I moved to this area a little over a decade ago, and been following the development of I-69 fairly closely.  This article that you read only provides minimal information.  However, over the whole time period that I've followed it, activists and local officials from Bloomington and (to a somewhat lesser degree) Perry Township in Marion County have vigorously opposed this interstate at every stage and used every means at their disposal.  This interstate should have been finished years ago.  The politics in this state are, by far, the most parochial, petty, selfish, and short-sighted that I have ever seen than in any other place I've lived.
Thankfully they lost, and hopefully Perry township will soon. Also are there any truck stops at all on the entire route?

Nexus 6P

EngineerTM

Thankfully they lost, and hopefully Perry township will soon. Also are there any truck stops at all on the entire route?

Nexus 6P
[/quote]

North of I-64, there are some gas stations and convenience stores that are not too far off of a couple of the interstate exits (one off of US 50 and one off US 231 at Crane immediately come to mind), but no real significant truck stops (such as a Pilot or Flying J).  When I'm heading up north to Indianapolis, I always make sure that I start with a full tank.

US 41

A truck stop on US 50 just west of the I-69 interchange would be a good place to put one. Heck I should go buy the land and start building right now before someone finds out.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

mukade

Quote from: US 41 on December 08, 2015, 01:11:28 PM
Quote from: ITB on December 07, 2015, 05:07:39 PM
Just announced. Section 4 will open to traffic by the end of the business day, Wednesday, December 9th.

"Indiana Department of Transportation spokesman Will Wingfield confirmed Monday the 27-mile stretch of highway connecting Naval Surface Activity Crane to Bloomington is expected to be open to traffic some time after a ribbon-cutting ceremony scheduled for 11:30 a.m. Wednesday."

Some work will continue in the upcoming months, mainly in the median and on the shoulders, and intermittent lane closures are to be expected.

http://www.heraldtimesonline.com/news/local/i--section-set-to-open-wednesday/article_9cd14c0a-9d20-11e5-80ab-5b159031a6c7.html

I know where I'm going on Thursday. I can't believe I-69 is going to be finished from Bloomington to Evansville before the SR 641 bypass in Terre Haute. I think INDOT even started on 641 first.  :banghead:

The thought the issue was that someone who lived in the path of the highway between McDaniel Rd. and SR 46 sued which caused a significant delay when alternatives had to be studied again. Last I saw SR 641 this past summer, it was coming along nicely.

silverback1065

Quote from: mukade on December 08, 2015, 06:07:59 PM
Just announced. Section 4 will open to traffic by the end of the business day, Wednesday, December 9th.

"Indiana Department of Transportation spokesman Will Wingfield confirmed Monday the 27-mile stretch of highway connecting Naval Surface Activity Crane to Bloomington is expected to be open to traffic some time after a ribbon-cutting ceremony scheduled for 11:30 a.m. Wednesday."

Some work will continue in the upcoming months, mainly in the median and on the shoulders, and intermittent lane closures are to be expected.

http://www.heraldtimesonline.com/news/local/i--section-set-to-open-wednesday/article_9cd14c0a-9d20-11e5-80ab-5b159031a6c7.html

I know where I'm going on Thursday. I can't believe I-69 is going to be finished from Bloomington to Evansville before the SR 641 bypass in Terre Haute. I think INDOT even started on 641 first.  :banghead:

The thought the issue was that someone who lived in the path of the highway between McDaniel Rd. and SR 46 sued which caused a significant delay when alternatives had to be studied again. Last I saw SR 641 this past summer, it was coming along nicely.
That wouldn't at all surprise me, it's so hard to build a road because of these issues.

Nexus 6P

US 41

Yeah some lawyer sued, then they saw Indiana bats which delayed the project, and then they had to get wetland permits. Regardless it should not take 13 years to build a 6 mile long freeway. If it was a priority it would have been finished 6 or 7 years ago at least.

silverback1065

Quote from: US 41 on December 08, 2015, 06:13:01 PM

Yeah some lawyer sued, then they saw Indiana bats which delayed the project, and then they had to get wetland permits. Regardless it should not take 13 years to build a 6 mile long freeway. If it was a priority it would have been finished 6 or 7 years ago at least.
Butterflies are a reason why there's a tiny gap on US 31 near Benton harbor. Also because Michigan's DOT is incompetent.

Nexus 6P

vdeane

Even delayed, Indiana is still doing more to build I-69 than any other state on the route save Kentucky (which may or may not count due to the small number of upgrades needed) and Texas.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

silverback1065

Indiana does a good job of building the roads they promise to build.

Nexus 6P

US 41

Also Indiana is getting the most benefit from I-69 as it will connect the three largest cities in the state. In Tennessee, Mississippi, Arkansas, and Louisiana, I-69 is kind of pointless. Kentucky doesn't have to do much since the parkways are almost interstate quality anyways. Texas gets benefit from free trade with Mexico at three different POE's. Also it runs through Houston, Texas' largest city. Like it or not Reynosa and Laredo are the best POE's to access Monterrey, San Luis Potosi, and Mexico City.

silverback1065

It really feels like Mississippi, Tennessee and Arkansas are kind of the men in the middle and are forced to because of the other states. I don't think Mississippi needs any new interstates at all really

Nexus 6P

Buck87

This has been a very interesting thread to follow and it's nice to see this newest section is about to open. Wonder how long it'll take for it to appear on google maps?

NE2

Quote from: US 41 on December 08, 2015, 06:02:49 PM
A truck stop on US 50 just west of the I-69 interchange would be a good place to put one. Heck I should go buy the land and start building right now before someone finds out.
Too late. The original promoters of I-69 were landowners along US 50 near Washington.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

ARMOURERERIC

Quote from: Buck87 on December 08, 2015, 11:32:41 PM
This has been a very interesting thread to follow and it's nice to see this newest section is about to open. Wonder how long it'll take for it to appear on google maps?
FWIW, the new 65 bridge is already on the Google Map

EngineerTM

I seem to recall from my memory that it took several months for Google Earth to get updated and show the first three sections after they were opened in 2012.  I remember driving on the new interstate, but my map navigator showed my location skimming over farmlands and woods!  Eventually, Google Earth was updated.

I noticed that down in Kentucky, Google Earth still hasn't updated either its images or route identifications for the section of I-69 between Madisonville and Henderson - even though the route has been re-signed and Kentucky had its official ribbon-cutting.

EngineerTM

Quote from: silverback1065 on December 08, 2015, 07:01:41 PM

Nexus 6P

That's probably a fair assessment.  Considering all of the obstacles that were thrown up by the opponents in Bloomington and SW Marion County, Indiana (especially former Gov. Daniels) did exercise the will necessary to get I-69 done as far as it has been finished to date.  Right now, all the attention is being given to the opening of section 4.  Although that is a big deal in its own right, we should also remember that construction on section 5 is moving ahead at full steam and is scheduled to have the interstate done all the way to Martinsville by the end of 2016.  After that, there is only the remaining 21 or so miles to get it finished.  Hopefully, with so much momentum, INDOT will be able to get section 6 construction underway as soon as the EIS is completed.

silverback1065

Quote from: EngineerTM on December 09, 2015, 09:39:54 AM
Quote from: silverback1065 on December 08, 2015, 07:01:41 PM

Nexus 6P

That's probably a fair assessment.  Considering all of the obstacles that were thrown up by the opponents in Bloomington and SW Marion County, Indiana (especially former Gov. Daniels) did exercise the will necessary to get I-69 done as far as it has been finished to date.  Right now, all the attention is being given to the opening of section 4.  Although that is a big deal in its own right, we should also remember that construction on section 5 is moving ahead at full steam and is scheduled to have the interstate done all the way to Martinsville by the end of 2016.  After that, there is only the remaining 21 or so miles to get it finished.  Hopefully, with so much momentum, INDOT will be able to get section 6 construction underway as soon as the EIS is completed.

the only obstacle after the final route is the funding surprise surprise. 

cjw2001

It has already been on Google Maps for some time in "started" status (which makes it invisible).   I marked those segments "completed" this morning and it is pending Google's approval.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.