News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana

Started by mukade, June 25, 2011, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ITB

Here's a short rundown on Section 5's progress:

- Beams are in now in place for the Liberty Church Road overpass and future interchange in Morgan County, Indiana. They were set during the evenings of May 24 and 25.
- The beams for the Vernal Pike overpass in Bloomington, Monroe County, were also recently set.
- Work continues on the improvements to the Kinser Pike roadway and bridge approaches; the Kinser Pike overpass itself is complete
- The reconstructed SR 37 northbound bridge over Bryant Creek in northern Monroe County is complete, but only one lane is being utilized at this time; work will soon shift to the southbound bridge
- Work continues at Fullerton Pike for the future interchange; the overpass itself is well on the way toward completion, but the deck has yet to poured. Crews also have begun work on the short access road, connecting Fullerton Pike to S. Monroe Medical Park Blvd. (It very well might be finished; I didn't have the time to check it out Memorial Day.) This short stretch of new pavement must be completed and opened to traffic before the old Fullerton Pike/S. Monroe Medical Park Blvd. intersection can be closed, followed by construction of the interchange's western traffic circle.
- Crews have made good progress prepping the median of State Road 37 north of SR 46 for the added 3rd travel lanes. Evidently, instead of a concrete barrier wall in this area, the traffic lanes will be separated by a cable barrier (that's according to the Herald-Times article referenced in an earlier post).
- Full-blown work has yet to kick off at Sample Road for either the bridge or interchange; while utility work continues, work on the new terrain access roads has started. In early June, Sample Road will be closed west of SR 37. This could be due to more utility work in the area or the actual start of work on the interchange and bridge.
- Work continues on expanding the SR 37 mainline bridges over the CSX railroad for the added 3rd travel lanes
- Work also continues on expanding the SR 37 mainline bridges over Griffy Creek, Beanblossom Creek, and the Beanblossom Overflow
- No work at Tapp Road, aside from utility relocation; the Fullerton Pike interchange must complete and be open to traffic before full-blown work can begin at Tapp Road
- No work at the future Chambers Pike overpass; utility relocation activity might still be ongoing

Before I put up some pics, a few observations. Already the official schedule for completion has been pushed to June 2017. This to me, and to my untrained eyes, is overly optimistic. A lot of work remains, and the Tapp Road interchange, a major project, may not kick off until the end of summer. Substantially completing Section 5 by December 2017 seems more likely, but to even hit that may be somewhat challenging. The initial schedule was, frankly, totally unrealistic. Why it was approved is beyond me.

If Isolux Corsán USA, the prime contractor, can finish by the end of 2016 the Kinser Pike and Vernal Pike overpasses, and complete and open the Fullerton Pike interchange, they'll be in pretty good shape. That will allow 2017 to be devoted to the Tapp Road interchange and the Chambers Pike overpass, as well as the completion of the interchanges at Sample Road and Liberty Church Road and their accompanying access roads.

Crews are working steadily and good progress is apparent. The work slowdown due to the sub-contractor dispute is over, as noted in earlier posts, but the aftereffects on the project's timetable have yet to determined, at least publicly. To say the least, it was not positive. And spending thousands on overtime to catch up doesn't seem feasible; only so much can be done per day. Moreover, the wet month of May didn't do the project any favors.

Let's go to the pics. Photos were taken May 30th, Memorial Day, unless otherwise noted.

The Liberty Church Road overpass and interchange in Morgan County, Indiana; looking northeast. Beams were put into place during the nights of May 24 and 25.

State Road 37 and the western abutment of the Liberty Church Road overpass; looking north.

Another perspective of the Liberty Church Road overpass; looking southeast.

Near the location of the soil compacting machine, initial work has started has started on the access roads connecting into the Liberty Church Road interchanges; looking northwest.

Slabs of State Road 37 pavement that were cut from the roadway as part of the Section 5 pavement patching program are piled up near the Liberty Church Road work zone; looking north.

Of interest is how the saw used to cut the concrete also cleanly sliced through the rebar.

More photos to come.

tdindy88

I traveled through this area yesterday, all the way down to Evansville and noticed a couple of new changes along the already completed sections of I-69.

-A new firetruck entrance onto the interstate from one of the roads that the interstate crosses in Monroe County. I forget what road, but there is now a gravel pathway that leads from the interstate up to the road with gates at both the road and the highway and a sign that flashes if a firetruck in in the area. I know Monroe County was talking about ways to access the highway in the event they needed to get on and didn't want to access the exits. Needless to say that I never have seen this kind of setup before in Indiana.

-Overpasses in Daviess County now have signs indicating the name of the road passing over the highway, which is standard for Indiana freeways. I believe reading something that Daviess County wanted this but I still can't guess why the other counties don't or why INDOT doesn't put them in to at least keep this interstate consistent with other Indiana interstates.

-This is more for the I-69 in KY thread, but I went as far as the northern end of I-69 in Henderson and saw no signage that directed travelers from the south end of I-69 in Evansville to use US 41 to Henderson and vice versa, no signage directing them north. For locals I'm sure it's not a big deal, they all know the way but if you were to follow I-69 shouldn't there be a way to direct them to connect to the two stretches of highway?

ITB

Quote from: tdindy88 on May 31, 2016, 05:02:18 AM
I traveled through this area yesterday, all the way down to Evansville and noticed a couple of new changes along the already completed sections of I-69.

-A new firetruck entrance onto the interstate from one of the roads that the interstate crosses in Monroe County. I forget what road, but there is now a gravel pathway that leads from the interstate up to the road with gates at both the road and the highway and a sign that flashes if a firetruck in in the area. I know Monroe County was talking about ways to access the highway in the event they needed to get on and didn't want to access the exits. Needless to say that I never have seen this kind of setup before in Indiana.

That's the emergency access entrance near the Burch Road overpass. The entrance was, I believe, incorporated into the plans of Section 4 way back in the design phase. It's the first and only such interstate emergency entrance in the state of Indiana.

According to an April 2016 Herald-Times article, there were five keys distributed for gate access, all of which were provided to the Van Buren Township Fire Department. Initially, nine keys were to be distributed–five to Van Buren Township and four to the Indian Creek Township Fire Department–but a decision was made at the FHWA level to pare back to five, cutting out Indian Creek. The reason: They didn't want too many keys floating around. And since, Van Buren Township operates a 24-hour fire response station relatively near the emergency entrance, while Indian Creek's is part-time, Van Buren got the nod.

Now the Indian Creek Township people are pushing back; they want some keys. Both Van Buren and Indian Creek Township emergency vehicles currently have permission to use the entrance, but only Van Buren can open the gate. Apparently, all the jurisdictions involved, including the feds, are trying to work something out. Whew!

ITB

More Section 5 pics. Photos were taken May 30, Memorial Day, unless otherwise noted.

The overpass that will carry Vernal Pike/17th Street over State Road 37 (future I-69) in Bloomington, Monroe County, Indiana; looking southwest.

The inner workings of the Vernal Pike overpass; looking west.

On the east abutment, the Vernal Pike overpass beams atop their respective steel stanchions; looking north.

Another perspective of the Vernal Pike/17th Street overpass; looking northwest. The road in the background is Vernal Pike.

And one more photo of the Vernal Pike overpass beams, with MSE panels in the foreground; looking southwest.

The Liberty Church Road overpass in Morgan County, Indiana, from a slightly different perspective; looking northeast.

ITB

Here's some more that were taken earlier this month, May 15th, that for one reason or another, I never got around to posting.

The overpass that will carry Fullerton Pike over State Road 37 (future I-69) in Monroe County, Indiana; looking slightly northwest.

Looking west from Rockport Road toward the reconstruction of the Fullerton Pike roadway and the new Fullerton Pike overpass, barely visible in the background.

Initial construction of the access road that will connect Fullerton Pike to S. Monroe Medical Park Blvd. near the Fullerton Pike overpass work zone; looking east. This road must be built and completed before the old Fullerton Pike/S. Monroe Medical intersection can be closed in preparation for construction of the Fullerton Pike interchange ramps and traffic circles. (Please note: It's very possible this road has been completed. With the recent good weather, the pace of construction has picked up. I'll try to check it out the Fullerton Pike work zone the next week or so.)

The Fullerton Pike/S. Monroe Medical Park Blvd. intersection; looking west. When the access road mentioned above is completed, this particular area will be sealed off to begin construction of the Fullerton Pike interchange components. The western roundabout is projected to be built right about where the two roads intersect. Since it's a fairly steep and rapid drop from the overpass, the ground here will have to elevated to some extent, exactly how much it's hard to say. It will be interesting to see how they pull it off. In the background, the tip of the access road, jutting off from Fullerton Pike, can be seen. It goes behind the buildings and turns 90 degrees east, forming half a rectangle.

Another perspective of the Fullerton Pike overpass; looking southeast. In the background is Monroe Hospital.

ITB

And, lastly, a few pics from April 24th. Even though a bit old, they might be of interest.

State Road 37 (future I-69) from near the bridges over Griffy Creek in Monroe County, Indiana; looking north. Since SR 37 is being expanded from 2 to 3 traffic lanes from the city of Bloomington up the Sample Road interchange, all mainline bridges along this path must be widened. Pictured is work underway at the bridges over Griffy Creek (foreground) and Beanblossom Creek, just beyond.

The bridge pictured in the background is the N. Walnut Street overpass, used exclusively for exiting southbound SR 37 traffic. No change is planned for this partial interchange as SR 37 is upgraded to I-69.

Concrete degradation of a Griffy Creek bridge pier; looking northeast.

Work to expand SR 37 mainline bridges over the CSX railroad in Bloomington, Monroe County, Indiana; looking northeast.

Another perspective of the work underway at the CSX railroad work zone; looking north.

Close up of work to construct bridge piers at the CSX site; looking east.

Another perspective of the bridges that carry SR 37 over Griffy Creek; looking north. In the foreground are the bucket teeth and arm of an excavator located near the Kinser Pike work zone about a half mile north of the SR 37/Kinser Pike overpass.

The eastern MSE wall of the Vernal Pike/17th Street overpass, just a few days before the placement of the bridge beams. Of interest is the textured block limestone facade of the overpass's wing wall. This characteristic design element was selected with citizen input, and will be featured on most overpasses that stretch over I-69 within the city limits of Bloomington. In the background is the exit ramp to State Road 46 east. Photo was taken May 15, 2016.

Another look at construction at the CSX railroad work zone; looking east.

Moose

Yeah I don't know why the project documents refer to that as CSX. It was sold back in 2005 to a local company called the "Indiana Rail Road"

The same company that owns the railroad between SR48 and SR45

NE2

Quote from: Moose on June 08, 2016, 01:32:19 PM
Yeah I don't know why the project documents refer to that as CSX. It was sold back in 2005 to a local company called the "Indiana Rail Road"
Which is actually majority-owned by CSX, so in a way it's still CSX. (It may also have been leased from CSX instead of bought outright.)
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

2trailertrucker

It has been a few years since I have seen an INRR engine on the line. Now they are CSX engines. I grew up where Illinois Central had a yard. I'll check when I go back, but I think INRR is gone.

PurdueBill

Quote from: ITB on May 31, 2016, 11:22:21 PM
Quote from: tdindy88 on May 31, 2016, 05:02:18 AM

That's the emergency access entrance near the Burch Road overpass. The entrance was, I believe, incorporated into the plans of Section 4 way back in the design phase. It's the first and only such interstate emergency entrance in the state of Indiana.

According to an April 2016 Herald-Times article, there were five keys distributed for gate access, all of which were provided to the Van Buren Township Fire Department. Initially, nine keys were to be distributed–five to Van Buren Township and four to the Indian Creek Township Fire Department–but a decision was made at the FHWA level to pare back to five, cutting out Indian Creek. The reason: They didn't want too many keys floating around. And since, Van Buren Township operates a 24-hour fire response station relatively near the emergency entrance, while Indian Creek's is part-time, Van Buren got the nod.

Now the Indian Creek Township people are pushing back; they want some keys. Both Van Buren and Indian Creek Township emergency vehicles currently have permission to use the entrance, but only Van Buren can open the gate. Apparently, all the jurisdictions involved, including the feds, are trying to work something out. Whew!

At the FHWA level?  That seems like really micro-managing things.  Sure the feds are putting up money, but the number of keys for an emergency access gate?

What if Van Buren is busy with another emergency and all their people are occupied, and then there is an emergency on I-69?  Indian Creek has to go get someone from Van Buren to leave their emergency to unlock the gate, or else take another route?  That is really micro-managing fine details.

ITB

Quote from: PurdueBill on June 12, 2016, 01:18:13 AM
At the FHWA level?  That seems like really micro-managing things.  Sure the feds are putting up money, but the number of keys for an emergency access gate?

What if Van Buren is busy with another emergency and all their people are occupied, and then there is an emergency on I-69?  Indian Creek has to go get someone from Van Buren to leave their emergency to unlock the gate, or else take another route?  That is really micro-managing fine details.

Well, an interstate is a federal-level road. So, yes, the FHWA needs to sign off on any agreement, no matter how minor. The I-69/Burch Road emergency access gate is very unusual. There are very few such gates located around the country. Strict control of access–who can work the gate, etc.–was apparently carefully considered.

When all is said and done, Indian Creek Township will likely get permission to operate the gate, along with a few keys to do so. In the meantime, if units from Van Buren are occupied with another emergency, response units likely would be dispatched from either Perry or Clear Creek Township, or Indian Creek, depending on the location of the incident. Perry units would access SR 37 as quickly as possible, then roar down I-69. Same with Clear Creek. For Indian Creek, accessing I-69 is problematic, and, more troublesome, extremely time consuming–and that's the rub. With gate access, they would be able to respond in timely manner if needed.

It's 10 miles between the I-69/SR 37 interchange and the I-69/SR445 interchange in Greene County. Hence, the reason for emergency gate in the first place.

ITB

I've been out and about and have snapped a few more pictures. Photos were taken June 8, 2016, unless otherwise noted.

Constructing of the median barrier wall south of the Rockport Road overpass in Monroe County, Indiana. In the background is the I-69/SR 37 interchange.

Close up of the median barrier wall crew. Apparently, something wasn't quite right as they had the board out as well as their measurement devices.

Looking north toward the overpass that will carry Fullerton Pike over State Road 37/I-69. In the foreground is the Rockport Road overpass.

Construction of the Fullerton Pike overpass and interchange. Before work can begin in earnest on the interchange ramps, crews must first complete the median barrier wall and the added travel lanes, after which traffic will be shifted inside. This will allow work to get underway near the shoulder.

Another perspective of the median barrier wall work underway south of the Rockport Road overpass.

ITB

A few more. Photos were taken June 11, 2016, unless otherwise noted.

On a warm Saturday afternoon, a crew works near the overpass that will carry Fullerton Pike over State Road 37 (future Interstate 69) in Monroe County, Indiana; looking east.

The access road that will connect Fullerton Pike to S. Monroe Medical Blvd.; looking west. Nothing much has taken place in the past two weeks. Permit issues? Perhaps. It appears this road may be more permanent than not. At any rate, there's a bunch of utility stuff in the ground, and maybe more to come, if the storm sewer blocks are any indication. It's my understanding (and I could be wrong) that this connector must be completed and open to traffic before the old Fullerton Pike/S. Monroe Medical can be closed in order to construct the western interchange roundabout. And the Fullerton Pike interchange must be completed before Tapp Road can be closed for construction of the interchange there. So this little dinky road is, um, important.

The State Road 37/Sample Road crossing in Monroe County, Indiana, where a full interstate interchange will be constructed; looking west. Consider this one of the last "before" pictures. Soon the immense transformation will be underway, and this landscape view will be irrevocably changed.

The view of State Road 37 and the work to expand the road from two to three lanes; looking south from near the W. Arlington Road overpass in Monroe County, Indiana. In the background is the SR 37/SR 46 interchange. The entrance ramp pictured left is for SR 46 traffic.

Looking north toward State Road 37 from near the W. Arlington Road overpass. Just around the bend in the background is the Kinser Pike overpass.

Another perspective of the State Road 37/Sample Road crossing; looking west. Change is a-coming.

mgk920

Quote from: ITB on June 12, 2016, 04:21:54 PM

Well, an interstate is a federal-level road. So, yes, the FHWA needs to sign off on any agreement, no matter how minor. The I-69/Burch Road emergency access gate is very unusual. There are very few such gates located around the country. Strict control of access–who can work the gate, etc.–was apparently carefully considered.

When all is said and done, Indian Creek Township will likely get permission to operate the gate, along with a few keys to do so. In the meantime, if units from Van Buren are occupied with another emergency, response units likely would be dispatched from either Perry or Clear Creek Township, or Indian Creek, depending on the location of the incident. Perry units would access SR 37 as quickly as possible, then roar down I-69. Same with Clear Creek. For Indian Creek, accessing I-69 is problematic, and, more troublesome, extremely time consuming–and that's the rub. With gate access, they would be able to respond in timely manner if needed.

It's 10 miles between the I-69/SR 37 interchange and the I-69/SR445 interchange in Greene County. Hence, the reason for emergency gate in the first place.

And if worse comes to worse, most fire departments worth their mettle carry bolt cutters and or power saws on board their trucks.

:nod:

Mike

PurdueBill

Quote from: mgk920 on June 13, 2016, 12:42:21 AM

And if worse comes to worse, most fire departments worth their mettle carry bolt cutters and or power saws on board their trucks.

Mike

I guess I don't get how it is a "federal-level road" but so are US routes in the sense of their numbering; construction of the Interstates is done by the states, usually with federal funding support.  Going so fine-grained as to worry about the exact number of keys to an emergency gate seems odd even when federal dollars are involved.  INDOT is building the road and the number of keys doesn't affect the motorist experience the way most things (color of stripes or signs, speed limits, sign typefaces, etc.) that the FHWA cares about would affect it.  Seems nit-picky even if it is technically correct.

ITB

Quote from: PurdueBill on June 19, 2016, 08:09:52 PM
Quote from: mgk920 on June 13, 2016, 12:42:21 AM

Mike

I guess I don't get how it is a "federal-level road" but so are US routes in the sense of their numbering; construction of the Interstates is done by the states, usually with federal funding support.  Going so fine-grained as to worry about the exact number of keys to an emergency gate seems odd even when federal dollars are involved.  INDOT is building the road and the number of keys doesn't affect the motorist experience the way most things (color of stripes or signs, speed limits, sign typefaces, etc.) that the FHWA cares about would affect it.  Seems nit-picky even if it is technically correct.

Well, it is exacting to some extent. But rules are rules. When the newly-built road connecting Evansville to Bloomington took the I-69 shield, it officially became part of the Interstate Highway System and, thus, the National Highway System; or, simply, in my jargon, "a federal-level road."

The following is from the FHWA website (link below):

QuoteWhat is the National Highway System?

The National Highway System consists of roadways important to the nation's economy, defense, and mobility. The National Highway System (NHS) includes the following subsystems of roadways (note that a specific highway route may be on more than one subsystem):

- Interstate: The Eisenhower Interstate System of highways retains its separate identity within the NHS.
  - Other Principal Arterials: These are highways in rural and urban areas which provide access between an arterial and a major port, airport, public transportation facility, or other intermodal transportation facility.
  - Strategic Highway Network(STRAHNET): This is a network of highways which are important to the United States' strategic defense policy and which provide defense access, continuity and emergency capabilities for defense purposes.
  - Major Strategic Highway Network Connectors: These are highways which provide access between major military installations and highways which are part of the Strategic Highway Network.
  - Intermodal Connectors: These highways provide access between major intermodal facilities and the other four subsystems making up the National Highway System. A listing of all official NHS Intermodal Connectors is available here

The National Highway System (NHS) includes the Interstate Highway System as well as other roads important to the nation's economy, defense, and mobility. The NHS was developed by the Department of Transportation (DOT) in cooperation with the states, local officials, and metropolitan planning organizations (MPOs).

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/planning/national_highway_system/

cjw2001

The number of keys does impact the motorist experience if someone gets a hold of a key that shouldn't have one and causes a crash by an illicit entry to the highway.   Not likely, but I do see the safety interest in controlling access to the highway from a non standard entrance.

PurdueBill

Quote from: cjw2001 on June 20, 2016, 01:57:56 PM

The number of keys does impact the motorist experience if someone gets a hold of a key that shouldn't have one and causes a crash by an illicit entry to the highway.   Not likely, but I do see the safety interest in controlling access to the highway from a non standard entrance.

Federal Highway conjures up Carl Rogers talking about "federal routes" as if they are something that exists.  :P
The NHS includes all kinds of highways from county roads to Interstates, but the federal government doesn't own much (if any) of the NHS mileage and can only exert influence through funding.

The keys going to more than one proper fire department seems like an odd bone for FHWA to pick.  They wouldn't be handing them to any schmuck, but to the department for emergency use.  It just seems odd to me for them to be so particular about something where it would be much worse for the nearest fire crew to be lacking a key than for the keys to be issued. 

ARMOURERERIC

They should get one of those 5 step, 10 min, thumb print and retinal scan deals that the local Wendys has the manager use when I want to change my order.

rte66man

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on June 20, 2016, 07:13:19 PM
They should get one of those 5 step, 10 min, thumb print and retinal scan deals that the local Wendys has the manager use when I want to change my order.

:bigass:   :-D  :-D
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

ITB

Since there's been an active discussion of the I-69 emergency access entrance in Monroe County, Indiana, I decided to drop down that way to take a few pictures. The entrance, access of which is restricted by two separate locked gates, is located just to the east of the Burch Road overpass.

To my knowledge, this interstate emergency access entrance is the only one of its kind in the state of Indiana. Across the United States, there are probably several others with a similar design and purpose, but they are uncommon.

I-69 and the emergency access entrance from the Burch Road overpass; looking slightly northeast.

Close up of the access gate which sits near the shoulder of the southbound lanes.

Perspective that shows the two gates of the emergency access entrance; looking east from Burch Road.

The access gate and its proximity to the Burch Road overpass.

Busted! Probably missed the SR 37 exit. But really now, the emergency access crossover?! Apparently, this is not at all unusual as one of two posted No U-Turn signs has already been knocked down.

CobaltYoshi27

Good to see that Indiana is working on it.
I's traveled:
10(TX) 20(TX) 24(TN) 30(TX) 35(TX) 40(TN) 45(TX) 64(KY-VA) 65(TN-KY) 66(VA-DC) 68(WV-MD) 69(TX) 70(IN-MD) 71(OH) 75(TN-MI) 76(OH-NJ) 77(VA-OH) 78(PA-NJ) 79(WV-PA) 80(OH-NJ) 81(TN-NY) 83(MD-PA) 84(NY-MA) 86(PA-NY) 87(NY) 88(NY) 89(NH-VT) 90(OH-MA) 91(CT-VT) 93(MA-NH) 95(NC-MA) 99(PA)

Rick Powell

Quote from: ITB on June 29, 2016, 04:50:29 PM
Since there's been an active discussion of the I-69 emergency access entrance in Monroe County, Indiana, I decided to drop down that way to take a few pictures. The entrance, access of which is restricted by two separate locked gates, is located just to the east of the Burch Road overpass.

To my knowledge, this interstate emergency access entrance is the only one of its kind in the state of Indiana. Across the United States, there are probably several others with a similar design and purpose, but they are uncommon.

Other than the antenna/solar power panel(?) near the roadway gate, the emergency access near MP 102 on I-80 in Illinois looks awfully similar...except they only have one set of locked gates per access, and they have one for both directions. 

Rick Powell

Quote from: Rick Powell on June 30, 2016, 01:13:21 PM
Quote from: ITB on June 29, 2016, 04:50:29 PM

Other than the antenna/solar power panel(?) near the roadway gate, the emergency access near MP 102 on I-80 in Illinois looks awfully similar...except they only have one set of locked gates per access, and they have one for both directions. 

There is no controversy I remember about who has access to the gate - it's the Seneca IL fire Protection and Ambulance District.

mukade

There are several new articles in the press about the most recent problems with the prime contractor on Section 5. One article is here.

This caused Fitch to again downgrade the bond rating to be considered speculative. So my questions are:
1) What will happen if there is a default?
2) What will this do to potential bond sales for future INDOT projects like the I-69 Ohio River bridge and section 6 of I-69?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.