News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana

Started by mukade, June 25, 2011, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ITB

At 5 pm on Monday, the process of opening the northbound lanes of I-69 in Martinsville got underway. The first step in the process was opening the northbound entrance ramp from State Road 44, followed, to my surprise, by the opening of the southbound exit ramp to SR 44. Just prior to the ramp openings, the State Road 37/Morgan Street intersection was sealed off.

And yet, at 6 pm, the northbound lanes still remained closed between the SR 44 overpass and the Indian Creek bridges to the south. It appeared the plan was to open the northbound lanes in segments, moving south from the SR 44 overpass/interchange, and progressing interchange by interchange. However, work was continuing into the evening in the vicinity of eastern roundabout at the SR 252/Hospital Dr. interchange, and that may have impacted the opening process. Exactly what work was ongoing I don't know. If the northbound exit ramp to SR 252 was to be opened, at least half of the eastern traffic circle needed to functional, allowing exiting traffic to travel east on SR 252 or to swing around north to the collector/distributor lane leading up to State Road 44 and to I-69 northbound.

Because I didn't stick around after 6 pm, I don't know what exactly transpired. But it's a good chance the northbound lanes were completely opened not too long after. After all, the plan was to open the northbound on Monday, and that they most likely did, even if the process went late into the night.

Photos were taken Monday, December 20, 2021, unless otherwise noted.

At 5:45 pm, looking north from the Grand Valley Blvd. overpass in Martinsville.

Looking south from the Grand Valley Blvd. overpass. As the lanes were not yet open, the car probably was driven by a construction team member who was either heading to check something out or going home. I say "probably" because I've seen a lot of strange things while taking pictures, and it's not inconceivable someone managed to get on the road.

To facilitate the construction of the roundabouts at SR 252/Hospital Dr. interchange, Hospital Drive is closed just east of the hospital; looking east. Seems like a couple more construction days will be needed to complete the western roundabout to the extent it is functional and SR 252/Hospital Dr. can be reopened.

Removing the "closed" banner off the sign at the State Road 44 overpass; looking east.

Traffic entering the just opened northbound lanes via the entrance ramp at State Road 44; looking south.

Southbound traffic on the exit ramp to SR 44; looking northeast. Note the drone in use, probably being utilized to monitor the traffic as the lanes opened up. I didn't attempt to get on the overpass itself as I normally would because traffic was heavy, and vehicles were going this way and that. As expected, some drivers seemed unfamiliar with the new pattern, but, generally, most everyone was courteous and cautious.

Looking north from the Grand Valley Blvd. overpass at about 4:30pm.

Closer look.

Vehicles which entered the northbound lanes at SR 44 head north on the newly opened pavement. At the bottom of the hill, the former State Road 37/Morgan Street juncture has been sealed off.

Another perspective looking north from the Grand Valley Blvd. overpass as night began to settle in.

Signage on Hospital Dr. near the SR 252/Hospital Dr. interchange; looking east.

Edit: minor wording edits for readability and accuracy

SkyPesos

Interesting that they went with green enhanced mile markers here, when the rest of the state uses blue ones. Just simply an inconsistency from the contractor, or hinting towards the entire state eventually switching from blue to green ones?

RoadWarrior56

I live in a green enhanced mile marker state (Georgia).  I think for consistency sake, use of green makes more sense than blue, even though the current edition of the MUTCD allows either color.  I would not be surprised if Indiana is going to switch over the long term.  Although since I live 500 miles from that location, I can't say that I have any inside knowledge of INDOT or their policy, despite having started my career there a long time ago.

GreenLanternCorps

Google Maps is showing the Northbound lanes of I-69 in Martinsville as open and Green at the moment. 

mukade

Quote from: SkyPesos on December 21, 2021, 02:26:09 AM
Interesting that they went with green enhanced mile markers here, when the rest of the state uses blue ones. Just simply an inconsistency from the contractor, or hinting towards the entire state eventually switching from blue to green ones?

In the photos, I only saw the half mile markers, and these have always been green. Historically, they didn't have the shield on them, but SR 265 has half mile markers with the state highway marker on them. Recent widenings have used blue markers.Google Maps Street View.

Quote from: RoadWarrior56 on December 21, 2021, 07:26:17 AM
I live in a green enhanced mile marker state (Georgia).  I think for consistency sake, use of green makes more sense than blue, even though the current edition of the MUTCD allows either color.  I would not be surprised if Indiana is going to switch over the long term.  Although since I live 500 miles from that location, I can't say that I have any inside knowledge of INDOT or their policy, despite having started my career there a long time ago.

I thought I read years ago that Indiana the first state to install enhanced mile markers. If so, blue would have been the precedent that was set.

SkyPesos

Quote from: mukade on December 21, 2021, 08:01:37 AM

In the photos, I only saw the half mile markers, and these have always been green. Historically, they didn't have the shield on them, but SR 265 has half mile markers with the state highway marker on them. Recent widenings have used blue markers.Google Maps Street View.
That would make a bit more sense. Still a bot odd that it's placed in the median for half mile makers, as they're generally placed in the sides, with the median for the blue 0.1 or 0.2 mile markers.

tdindy88

I-69 (or SR 37) north of Martinsville has the blue mile markers from what I've seen. The Martinsville ones seem to be an inconsistency from what INDOT normally does on highways. By in large the enhanced mile markers continue to be blue. Full mile or half-mile mile markers are still green. I-69 from Martinsville to Bloomington has a weird set up of blue mile markers for the whole mile and green mile markers (the normal ones without the highway shield) for the half-mile.

mukade

Quote from: SkyPesos on December 21, 2021, 08:25:24 AM
Quote from: mukade on December 21, 2021, 08:01:37 AM

That would make a bit more sense. Still a bot odd that it's placed in the median for half mile makers, as they're generally placed in the sides, with the median for the blue 0.1 or 0.2 mile markers.

The "generally" qualifier is definitely correct. Not all blue enhanced reference markers are in the median in Indiana. I-69 in Hamilton County has the .1 mile enhanced markers along the right side of the roadway irrespective of the existence of a median barrier. But those green half mile markers in Martinsville would qualify as enhanced reference markers despite the interval (same with the green ones on SR 265).

I think the ITR in Lake County also has some green enhanced markers that have been there for years, but that highway is not maintained by INDOT. The part of SR 265 not maintained by INDOT has regular-style mile markers in the median at .1 mile intervals.

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

ARMOURERERIC

I look at 5he NB exit signage for Rueben Dr/Hospital Dr, and as a driver, I would find that counter intuitive since I would encounter Hospital Dr first.

Thegeet

Peeling the "closed" banner off the sign at the State Road 44 overpass; looking east.
Hmm. Peeled. I always thought the "closed"  banner was screwed into the sign.

ITB

Quote from: Thegeet on December 21, 2021, 01:01:19 PM
Hmm. Peeled. I always thought the "closed"  banner was screwed into the sign.
That's probably correct. I thought it was some sort of sticker that was attached, but, considering again, that seems a little silly. I'll modify the original post from "peeled" to "removed."

seicer

This segment has moved along so quick! One question: Why is there a switch in pavement types? In other sections to the south, it was because of soil conditions (my recollection on that topic), but here it looks more arbitrary. Cost?

ITB

The northbound lanes in Martinsville have been fully opened, as expected. Even State Road 252/Hospital Drive was open to traffic, although a good amount of work remained in that work zone.

Photos were taken Tuesday, December 21, 2021.

Looking south from the State Road 44 overpass in Martinsville.

The northbound exit ramp to State Road 44; looking northwest. The median barrier wall, which has been extended south of the SR 44 overpass, is covered in protective sheeting.

Another perspective from near the SR 44 overpass; looking southwest.

Mid-range view looking southwest toward the city of Martinsville. Northbound traffic was generally light, as the more moderate early evening southbound traffic was making its way through Martinsville proper, heading to Bloomington and points further south.

One more looking south from the SR 44 overpass.

ITB

Quote from: seicer on December 21, 2021, 02:43:41 PM
This segment has moved along so quick! One question: Why is there a switch in pavement types? In other sections to the south, it was because of soil conditions (my recollection on that topic), but here it looks more arbitrary. Cost?

In the area of the State Road 252/Hospital Dr. interchange asphalt was the favored material instead of concrete. This was because of the extensive fill that was utilized to substantially elevate the ground so I-69 would go over SR 252. It was a large undertaking with thousands of tons of rock and soil trucked in. However, with large scale fills, there is always the risk of settlement occurring, despite best efforts to prevent otherwise. At the SR 252 interchange, for instance, a massive surcharge was placed on top of the fill, and later removed, to enhance settlement. Asphalt, typically deemed a flexible pavement, would give a little if any settlement occurred, whether six months or six years later, while concrete, considered a rigid pavement, might crack.

Ryctor2018

So guys, what is now the northern endpoint of I-69. I saw in ITB's pictures that there's a 'Freeway Ends 1 Mile' sign around SR-44 nb. Some have said the end of the interstate is SR-44, or just north of there. But, the Henderson Ford interchange is signed as exit 145 and opened. Also, I-69 is signed north of SR-44 on ITB's pictures. I also personally saw blue I-69 mile markers from the SR-144 intersection southward. So is the new north end of I-69 SR-44, Henderson Ford Rd, or SR-144? Or sort of indeterminate as the road is built out going north?
2DI's traveled: 5, 8, 10, 12, 15, 20, 24, 30, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 44, 45, 49, 55, 57, 59, 64, 65, 66, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 85, 87, 88, 90, 93, 94, 95, 96

Great Lakes Roads

Quote from: Ryctor2018 on December 22, 2021, 01:07:35 AM
So guys, what is now the northern endpoint of I-69. I saw in ITB's pictures that there's a 'Freeway Ends 1 Mile' sign around SR-44 nb. Some have said the end of the interstate is SR-44, or just north of there. But, the Henderson Ford interchange is signed as exit 145 and opened. Also, I-69 is signed north of SR-44 on ITB's pictures. I also personally saw blue I-69 mile markers from the SR-144 intersection southward. So is the new north end of I-69 SR-44, Henderson Ford Rd, or SR-144? Or sort of indeterminate as the road is built out going north?

I-69 currently ends at SR-44, per the request to AASHTO from INDOT.

ITB

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on December 22, 2021, 01:49:09 AM

While I'm not qualified or particularly knowledgeable regarding the signing of interstates, the process, etc., I can inform there's a temporary driveway off the northbound lanes for First United Methodist Church and the Ozark Fisheries facility about three miles north of the State Road 44 overpass in Martinsville. It's right-in, right-out only. Until the Myra Lane overpass is constructed in 2022, this driveway will remain in use. Can a highway be officially designated an interstate if a access-point driveway is present? It's possible, I guess, with a special exemption, but I have doubts.

CoolAngrybirdsrio4

I wonder where I-69 could end by the end of next year in terms of finished portions of the interstate.
Renewed roadgeek

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: ITB on December 22, 2021, 02:24:50 AM

While I'm not qualified or particularly knowledgeable regarding the signing of interstates, the process, etc., I can inform there's a temporary driveway off the northbound lanes for First United Methodist Church and the Ozark Fisheries facility about three miles north of the State Road 44 overpass in Martinsville. It's right-in, right-out only. Until the Myra Lane overpass is constructed in 2022, this driveway will remain in use. Can a highway be officially designated an interstate if a access-point driveway is present? It's possible, I guess, with a special exemption, but I have doubts.

There are interstates in the remote parts of the west with at grade access points, but I can't think of an example in this part of the country.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

mukade

Quote from: CoolAngrybirdsrio4 on December 22, 2021, 02:54:48 AM
I wonder where I-69 could end by the end of next year in terms of finished portions of the interstate.

You can infer when the road might be signed from the construction schedule. It looks like the Morgan County section will be completed by the end of 2022, but the SR 144 interchange is in Johnson County. That interchange might be completed in 2022 as actual construction of the road begins next year. I believe INDOT will sign it only when the SR 144 interchange is done - new signed sections of I-69 have always ended at state roads: SR 68, US 231, SR 37, SR 39, and now SR 44 so this time next year would be the earliest possible.

SR 144 is the last state road before I-465, so the final signed section will probably be between SR 144 and I-465 at the end of 2024.

Unless that published schedule has been accelerated, that seems to be the plan.

silverback1065

I-69 ends at Morgan St. technically. Just north of SR 44. but on the books it ends at 44, since interstates have to end at an arterial per fed rules.

mukade

Quote from: silverback1065 on December 22, 2021, 08:12:27 AM
I-69 ends at Morgan St. technically. Just north of SR 44. but on the books it ends at 44, since interstates have to end at an arterial per fed rules.

Undoubtedly, the same would be true at SR 144.

Ryctor2018

Quote from: mukade on December 22, 2021, 08:36:20 AM
Quote from: silverback1065 on December 22, 2021, 08:12:27 AM

Undoubtedly, the same would be true at SR 144.

Good to hear. So, though you have exits being built north of Martinsville, with I-69 mile markers, I-69 ends at SR-44. It's still funny with the different style of mile marker others have noted upthread. Maybe different contractors working with INDOT with what's done in their district? I don't know, but Bloomington - Indianapolis is not that long to have those different markers on a newly constructed interstate (as oppose to a resurfacing project).
2DI's traveled: 5, 8, 10, 12, 15, 20, 24, 30, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 44, 45, 49, 55, 57, 59, 64, 65, 66, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 85, 87, 88, 90, 93, 94, 95, 96

CoolAngrybirdsrio4

Quote from: mukade on December 22, 2021, 07:44:04 AM
Quote from: CoolAngrybirdsrio4 on December 22, 2021, 02:54:48 AM

You can infer when the road might be signed from the construction schedule. It looks like the Morgan County section will be completed by the end of 2022, but the SR 144 interchange is in Johnson County. That interchange might be completed in 2022 as actual construction of the road begins next year. I believe INDOT will sign it only when the SR 144 interchange is done - new signed sections of I-69 have always ended at state roads: SR 68, US 231, SR 37, SR 39, and now SR 44 so this time next year would be the earliest possible.

SR 144 is the last state road before I-465, so the final signed section will probably be between SR 144 and I-465 at the end of 2024.

Unless that published schedule has been accelerated, that seems to be the plan.

What I am getting is that I-69 may end at SR 144 by 2023 as well because of incomplete portions between I-465 and SR 144, although the I-465 & I-69 interchange will be done by 2022 and might stay closed until 2023 due to the Southport Road interchange finishing by 2022.
Renewed roadgeek

silverback1065

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.