News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana

Started by mukade, June 25, 2011, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverback1065

Quote from: rte66man on August 30, 2023, 12:01:56 PM
My eye was immediately drawn to the guy in the red hard hat who isn't wearing a reflective vest. It's also possible he didn't have on reflective eyewear. I'm surprised no one appears to care onsite.

Welcome to construction  :-D

Rothman

Quote from: silverback1065 on August 31, 2023, 08:13:54 AM
My eye was immediately drawn to the guy in the red hard hat who isn't wearing a reflective vest. It's also possible he didn't have on reflective eyewear. I'm surprised no one appears to care onsite.

Depends on the state.  There will be issues everywhere, but last time I drove through Maine, the lax attitude towards hi-viz/safety gear was both amusing and shocking.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

ITB

Quote from: silverback1065 on August 31, 2023, 08:13:54 AM

To be fair, the shirt the guy was wearing had reflective qualities similar to a vest. It sticks out like a sore thumb. Protective eyewear? Maybe it wasn't required for the job at hand. And if anyone had any issues with attire, it would have been brought up at the pre-start briefing. But, in general, I agree with your assessment. It's a concern. Everyone should be wearing a reflective safety vest.

ITB

Last batch of pictures. For now. Again, photos were taken Sunday, August 27, 2023.

Looking southeast from the Epler Avenue overpass. Coming along nicely. It looks like they're getting close to doing some paving. This section will be asphalt. On the right is the southbound entrance ramp from Epler.

Closer look.

The southbound entrance ramp from Epler Avenue; looking southeast.

Here's a ground level view.

Turning around, the Epler Avenue overpass; looking northwest. When the photo is expanded, the girders of the I-69N to I-465W flyover are partially visible underneath the overpass.

Closer look.

Another perspective looking slightly southeast from near the Epler Avenue overpass. The two vehicles on the right (foreground) carry quicklime or hydrated lime, used to harden up the roadbed.

Zoomed in view. On the right in the deep background, the Southport Road overpass is partially visible (better seen when the photo is expanded).

Lots of visible progress. It seems to change almost weekly.

ITB

More pictures. With the Labor Day weekend at hand, I figured there wouldn't be a better opportunity to explore the I-69/I-465 interchange work zone for a close up look-see.

Photos were taken Sunday, September 3, 2023.

For those who haven't been regularly following the project, here, again, is the I-69/I-465 system interchange schematic:

Walsh-Milestone Design Build Team

Few guidance points:
• Perspective of the schematic is to the northeast
• I-465, the Indianapolis beltway, is the main road depicted, running from near the image's left corner to the upper right corner
• I-69N to I-465W flyover is located in the lower left; that's the one where girders are being used
• I-465W to I-69S flyover ramp is found in the middle
• Bridge that carries the ramp from I-69N to I-465W over the ramp from I-465W to I-69S, bottom center
• Ramp from I-465E to I-69S, bottom left
• Epler Avenue and the Epler Avenue overpass, which run roughly parallel to I-465 in the area depicted, are not pictured, but are located near the right corner of the image
• Ramp just below I-465 mainline is the realigned exit ramp to Harding Street

Girders of the flyover ramp that will take I-69N to I-465W; looking northwest.

Different perspective; looking east. The concrete pavement will be the new, realigned roadway for I-465E.

Ramp from I-465E to I-69S; looking southeast. In the background is the bridge that will carry the ramp from I-69N to I-465W over the ramp from I-465W to I-69S.

Flyover that will take traffic from I-465W to I-69S; looking northeast. Originally, this bridge was to be constructed with girders. However, design modifications that shortened the bridge allowed pre-cast concrete beams to be used instead.

On the south side of Indianapolis, looking east toward I-465 from the future I-69/I-465 interchange. On the left is the new eastbound roadway of I-465, while in the forefront is the exit ramp from I-465E to Harding Street. The bridge going over the Harding ramp will carry the ramp from I-69N to I-465E.

Another view looking east toward the I-465W to I-69S flyover. On the right is the realigned exit ramp to Harding Street; on the left, the new eastbound lanes of I-465.

Zoomed in look at I-465; looking east. The first hump is where Harding Street is located. Beyond, the second, the location of Bluff Road. A small piece of the new exit ramp to Harding Street is on the right.

Closer look of the bridge that will carry the I-69N to I-465 ramp over the ramp from I-465W to I-69S; looking northeast.

Another perspective of the above pictured bridge as well as the ramp from I-465E to I-69S; looking southeast.

More to come. I'll try to get them posted tomorrow.

ITB

Another set. Photos were taken Sunday, September 3, 2023.

Ramp that will take traffic from I-465E to I-69S; looking slightly southeast. Of interest, the shoulders of this section have been tined, but the driving lanes have not. Since vehicles will be traveling at speed here, it's possible deeper cut grooves are called for, more so than what tining can provide.

The ramp currently ends at a mound of dirt, aka, the surcharge. Work has been ongoing to remove the pile, and if necessary, it could be cleared in a week or two. But the task seems to be paced more deliberately, probably because the material is being used as fill in sections along the I-465 work zone.

Turning around, here's the view in the other direction. Although the position of the sun was not advantageous, the photo shows more clearly the tining of the shoulder as well as a sweet beveled edge. Why that line was scored vertically in the concrete I have no idea. If anyone knows, please chime in.

The view looking northwest from the Epler Avenue overpass. Finally, the roadbed is taking shape here. In the top left a sliver of the ramp pictured above is discernible (better seen when the photo is expanded). The surcharge is much smaller than it used to be and will likely be gone by the end of the month, if not sooner.

Looking southeast from the Epler Avenue overpass. It appears the section past the cones and orange barrels is nearly ready for paving. It will be asphalt. More than likely, they'll pave the southbound roadway down to near Banta Road, a distance of about a mile, maybe a bit more. Why would they wait?

Looking northwest toward the flyover that will take I-69N traffic to I-465W. This is spot where the realigned exit ramp to Harding Street begins to diverge from I-465E. Note that no construction is underway on the other side I-465. That won't kick off until 2024.

Here's what it looks like facing east at ground level.

Harding Street exit ramp; looking east. As noted before, it goes underneath the flyover that will take traffic from I-465W to I-69S, and further back, the bridge that will carry the ramp from I-69N to I-465E.

Another look of the girders of the flyover that will take the ramp from I-69N to I-465W; looking west. E&B Paving, a sub-contractor on this project, is one of Indiana's main road and bridge building firms. Founded in 1967 by Jack Euratte and Richard Bedwell (the E&B of E&B Paving), the company now does dozens of projects every year, both large and small, throughout the state.

The bridge that will carry the ramp from I-69N to I-465 over the ramp from I-465W to I-69S; looking northeast. In the background is the partially built flyover that will take traffic from I-465W to I-69S. If all goes as planned, cars and trucks will be roaring through here in less than 16 months.

Another view looking southeast from the Epler Avenue overpass. On the right, adjacent to the southbound entrance ramp from Epler, is the new local access road, connecting S. Belmont Avenue to Epler Avenue.

Closer look of the new connector road.

One more look at the girders for the flyover that will take traffic from I-69N to I-465W; looking north.

That's all for now. I'm considering taking a look-see at the ongoing bridge work on the I-465 section of the project. We'll see.

ITB

This was posted in the I-69 Ohio River Bridge discussion forum, but as it applies to the project in general, I'm cross-posting it here.

According to an Inside Indiana Business report, if the full $632 million federal grant, which Indiana and Kentucky applied for last month, is awarded in timely fashion, construction of the Ohio bridge would likely be moved up to 2025, two years earlier than previously planned.

The article should be available to read for most who wish to do so. However, if one regularly browses material on the Inside Indiana Business website and is not a subscriber, access to the article may not be granted in full.

edwaleni

Quote from: ITB on September 07, 2023, 03:33:02 PM

This was posted in the I-69 Ohio River Bridge discussion forum, but as it applies to the project in general, I'm cross-posting it here.

According to an Inside Indiana Business report, if the full $632 million federal grant, which Indiana and Kentucky applied for last month, is awarded in timely fashion, construction of the Ohio bridge would likely be moved up to 2025, two years earlier than previously planned.

The article should be available to read for most who wish to do so. However, if one regularly browses material on the Inside Indiana Business website and is not a subscriber, access to the article may not be granted in full.

I posted pictures of the first work on the ground for I-69 in Henderson KY, over in that same Ohio River Bridge thread. I made the comment, "the pictures are not ITB quality" which was meant as a nod to you and what you have done here.

Hopefully, someone who lives in Evansville or Henderson can be just a dedicated! It's the pictures that makes this one of the more popular threads at AARoads.

ITB

Quote from: edwaleni on September 10, 2023, 02:44:40 PM
I posted pictures of the first work on the ground for I-69 in Henderson KY, over in that same Ohio River Bridge thread. I made the comment, "the pictures are not ITB quality" which was meant as a nod to you and what you have done here.

Hopefully, someone who lives in Evansville or Henderson can be just a dedicated! It's the pictures that makes this one of the more popular threads at AARoads.

Thanks for the kind words. And thanks for posting the pictures of the work underway in Henderson. Always good to see visual confirmation that things are moving forward.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: ITB on September 05, 2023, 01:58:53 AM

Do the colors mean anything in particular here, or do they just allow for a more general way of distinguishing between them?
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

ilpt4u

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on September 10, 2023, 05:22:04 PM

Do the colors mean anything in particular here, or do they just allow for a more general way of distinguishing between them?
If it is Fiber Optics, yes colors have meaning. I can't imagine multiple different utilities running together like that (orange=telecom; red=power; blue=water, etc)

abqtraveler

Quote from: ilpt4u on September 10, 2023, 09:04:55 PM

If it is Fiber Optics, yes colors have meaning. I can’t imagine multiple different utilities running together like that (orange=telecom; red=power; blue=water, etc)
The below chart is not all inclusive, but the colors of the fiber optic cables indicate the mode of data transport and the data rate being carried by that trunk cable.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

edwaleni

Quote from: abqtraveler on September 10, 2023, 10:20:12 PM
Quote from: ilpt4u on September 10, 2023, 09:04:55 PM

If it is Fiber Optics, yes colors have meaning. I can't imagine multiple different utilities running together like that (orange=telecom; red=power; blue=water, etc)
The below chart is not all inclusive, but the colors of the fiber optic cables indicate the mode of data transport and the data rate being carried by that trunk cable.

That color list is for the indoor use of fiber.

ITB

While I have little knowledge of electrical or fiber systems, I'll take a stab here. The wires appear to be cables that carry electricity. Aside from fiber cable, what else could they be? But this leads to the question of why? Electrical wiring and harnesses, we know, are necessary to power up the high mast lights and sign lighting at the interchange. But fiber? Why would fiber cables be put underground in the middle of a large interstate interchange? It doesn't make much sense.

The different cable colors are probably used to help identify what goes where. For instance, the orange cable might be used to power up a certain area or set of lights, while the aqua, another area. In a malfunction or an outage, the repair crew would know with some certainty, what cable to focus on as they trace it back to the harness and power source. Think about it. If the wires all had black coverings, they'd have to marked in certain ways to identify them, and it they got turned a bit, well. The different wire colors make this identification process easier.

Now the different wires may carry varying degrees of voltage. I don't know one way or the other. However, it seems as if the wiring and harnesses used to power up sign lights would need to carry less power than those used for the high mast lights. And speaking of voltage, those cables look like they carry serious juice.

Bear in mind, all the above might be way off base. If anyone knows more about these cables and why they have different colors, please chime in.

Here's another view showing the same set of cables:

The boxes seem to be electrical equipment. What purpose they serve, I don't know.

ilpt4u

Electric would make more sense, but I'm a telecom guy

There is a "color code"  to sequencing fiber optic cables, but in an Outside Plant Environment (as this is), the outer sheath would almost certainly be black

Also, very small chance that many fiber cables in those big of bundles/tubes would be there, unless there was a major utility relocation for multiple providers' fiber routes

edwaleni

More likely to be 220-240v because I don't think 440v can be jacketed. Need a field electrician to weigh in.

Rick Powell

Quote from: ilpt4u on September 11, 2023, 12:10:02 AM

There is a "color code"  to sequencing fiber optic cables, but in an Outside Plant Environment (as this is), the outer sheath would almost certainly be black

Also, very small chance that many fiber cables in those big of bundles/tubes would be there, unless there was a major utility relocation for multiple providers' fiber routes

Fiber "innerducts" used in traffic signal and other installations are often color coded so that it's easier to trace what is in what innerduct especially where a splice needs to be made at a handhole. I am not sure the color coding is related to anything other than IDing the particular duct.

ilpt4u

Quote from: Rick Powell on September 11, 2023, 03:44:09 PM
Quote from: ilpt4u on September 11, 2023, 12:10:02 AM

Fiber "innerducts" used in traffic signal and other installations are often color coded so that it's easier to trace what is in what innerduct especially where a splice needs to be made at a handhole. I am not sure the color coding is related to anything other than IDing the particular duct.
The number of ducts shown here rivals the amount of fiber that Verizon placed in the Lower Manhattan Switching Office after Hurricane Sandy destroyed the copper cables, which took up a lot more space. A relatively small number of individual fibers can carry a crap-ton of signaling/data/etc

monty

monty

ITB

Quote from: monty on September 11, 2023, 09:25:25 PM
Do the cables have something to do with this? https://www.purdue.edu/newsroom/releases/2023/Q3/purdues-talking-concrete-embedded-into-new-i-465-and-i-69-interchange-in-indianapolis.html

No, the cable wiring has nothing to do the concrete sensors. These sensors are small devices that are embedded in concrete. They are probably powered by a tiny lithium battery. The sensors transmit data either by bluetooth or by a a small, thin cable that is plugged into a hand-held device. The sensors provide real-time information to help determine how the concrete is curing. In paving operations, this helps pinpoint the time when it will be ready to carry traffic. It's one of the new things in the concrete industry.

Read more about the sensors here and here.

In regards to the different colors of the electrical cables, which is called color coding, it's used to help with identification. Read more about it here.

ITB

Paving has started on the section of southbound roadway between the future bridge over Banta Road and the Epler Avenue overpass. As expected, it's asphalt.

INDOT Traffic Camera
Night work. Looking north from near the former SR 37/Banta Road intersection on the south side of Indianapolis. The towers of downtown Indianapolis are in the background center.

INDOT Traffic Camera
The view looking slightly southeast.

l]
INDOT Traffic Camera
Another looking north.

INDOT Traffic Camera
Lot of activity.

INDOT Traffic Camera
And one more. Why they are paving at night instead of during the day I don't know.

ITB

Here's some more screen grabs from INDOT traffic cameras. Some are more recent, others a couple weeks old.

INDOT Traffic Camera
Looking north from the State Road 144 overpass. They did some more work on the culvert, but otherwise this little section looks as if it's about ready to be paved.

INDOT Traffic Camera
In Johnson County, looking north from the Smith Valley Road interchange. The northbound roadway is now paved from just south of the bridges over Honey Creek up to Fairview Road. The approach slabs at the bridge still need to constructed.

INDOT Traffic Camera
The view looking south toward the Fairview Road intersection. Lights are still up there, but should be gone by the end of October or shortly thereafter.

INDOT Traffic Camera
At the SR 37/Harding Street westbound exit, heavy traffic heading to the IU-Ohio State football game in Bloomington backs up onto I-465.

INDOT Traffic Camera
Not exactly sure how this happened. On Huggin Hollow Road just southwest of the I-69/SR 144 overpass, it appears a vehicle got into the grass and was unable to get out. Police were on the scene a few minutes later.

INDOT Traffic Camera
Late night capture looking southeast from the Smith Valley Road interchange.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: ITB on September 12, 2023, 10:21:08 PM
In regards to the different colors of the electrical cables, which is called color coding, it's used to help with identification. Read more about it here.

That's more for individual wires in walls and devices and so on, isn't it? I don't think that big green cable, for example, is a ground just on its own, but rather has live wires and neutrals and grounds inside it.

I admit I could be wrong, though.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Rick Powell

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on September 13, 2023, 11:32:22 AM
Quote from: ITB on September 12, 2023, 10:21:08 PM

That's more for individual wires in walls and devices and so on, isn't it? I don't think that big green cable, for example, is a ground just on its own, but rather has live wires and neutrals and grounds inside it.

I admit I could be wrong, though.

It has the appearance of what they call "nonmetallic coilable conduit" or "smooth wall innerduct" both of which are typically made out of polyethylene or HPDE and come in coils of several hundred feet so that there are no splices between electric handholes or communication vaults.

ITB

Some more screenshots from INDOT traffic cameras:

INDOT Traffic Camera
Inspecting the paving work from the night before; looking southeast from about a mile north of the Southport Road overpass on the far south side of Indianapolis.

INDOT Traffic Camera
Turning around; looking north. Getting ready for another night of paving. The weather of late has been ideal for road construction work, especially paving.

INDOT Traffic Camera
Working through the night.

INDOT Traffic Camera
To the south in Johnson County, a base layer of asphalt is being put down for the short segment just north of the State Road 144 overpass; looking north.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.