News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana

Started by mukade, June 25, 2011, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Interstate 69 Fan

Quote from: monty on December 22, 2023, 08:24:59 PM
I drove east on I465 on the SW side of Indy this week and missed the SR 37 exit because it was only identified as Harding Street and not SR 37 or I 69. You'd think there'd be some sort of temporary sign up for those of us not that familiar with the area to exit onto a significant highway route.
Pretty sure 90% of locals know it as Harding Street anyway, and not SR 37. But yes, some temporary sign stating "SR 37 exit here" would be nice, even when I-69 is finished considering approval to remove SR 37 has not been even granted yet, let alone applied for.
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

Moose

Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on December 26, 2023, 07:47:03 PM
I drove east on I465 on the SW side of Indy this week and missed the SR 37 exit because it was only identified as Harding Street and not SR 37 or I 69. You'd think there'd be some sort of temporary sign up for those of us not that familiar with the area to exit onto a significant highway route.
Pretty sure 90% of locals know it as Harding Street anyway, and not SR 37. But yes, some temporary sign stating "SR 37 exit here" would be nice, even when I-69 is finished considering approval to remove SR 37 has not been even granted yet, let alone applied for.

A lot of the locals tried to avoid that intersection.
Harding IN 37 was always a headache because it was always a dual purpose intersection. Its pretty much -the- truck stop intersection for Indianapolis, and certainly the only one on I-465. The truck traffic at that intersection was a complete headache.

In the days before IN 67 got so built up, it was a good alternative.. you could use it, and flop across IN 39 and honestly be ahead in some aspects, but once so many lights got put on that road, it was a big loss going that way.

Later on you would use Thompson road to access Bluff Road, which emptied out at Wicker Road south of all that mess. Wicker for the longest time didn't have a stop light, but eventually it did. Going this way now isn't that bad really, it puts you on the west side to a road which puts you at the new County Line intersection.

Life in Paradise

Quote from: Moose on December 26, 2023, 11:14:48 PM

Harding IN 37 was always a headache because it was always a dual purpose intersection. Its pretty much -the- truck stop intersection for Indianapolis, and certainly the only one on I-465. The truck traffic at that intersection was a complete headache.

In the days before IN 67 got so built up, it was a good alternative.. you could use it, and flop across IN 39 and honestly be ahead in some aspects, but once so many lights got put on that road, it was a big loss going that way.

Later on you would use Thompson road to access Bluff Road, which emptied out at Wicker Road south of all that mess. Wicker for the longest time didn't have a stop light, but eventually it did. Going this way now isn't that bad really, it puts you on the west side to a road which puts you at the new County Line intersection.

When I'm going to Indy from SW Indiana, many times I'll take Bluff Road (Old IN 37) which deposits me on West St right next to Lucas Oil Stadium and just a few blocks from Gainbridge Field House.  Of course, if I'm wanting to see the progress on I-69 near the loop, I'll take it up there one way.

Moose

Quote from: Life in Paradise on December 27, 2023, 12:32:05 PM

When I'm going to Indy from SW Indiana, many times I'll take Bluff Road (Old IN 37) which deposits me on West St right next to Lucas Oil Stadium and just a few blocks from Gainbridge Field House.  Of course, if I'm wanting to see the progress on I-69 near the loop, I'll take it up there one way.

Yes that is an excellent shortcut to downtown. Still likely will be.

KeithE4Phx

In the 1960s, that was the best route between Bloomington and Indy:  Dealing with then-two-lane 37 to 39, taking 39 to 67, then 67 to 465.  I don't recall many (if any) lights on 67 between Martinsville and Mooresville in those days.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

Rothman

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on December 28, 2023, 11:49:11 PM

In the 1960s, that was the best route between Bloomington and Indy:  Dealing with then-two-lane 37 to 39, taking 39 to 67, then 67 to 465.  I don't recall many (if any) lights on 67 between Martinsville and Mooresville in those days.
Dang.  When I was a kid in the mid-1970s, my parents would just plow up IN 37.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

ITB

To end the year, here's some pictures of the I-69/I-465 interchange work zone. Photos were taken Saturday, December 30, 2023.

The flyover that will carry the ramp from I-465W to I-69S; looking northwest. At this time, only half of the bridge has been erected. The other half will be completed in 2024.

From the future I-69N to I-465E ramp, looking east toward I-465 and the new eastbound exit ramp to Harding Street. The Walsh Construction field office is on the right.

The view looking looking south toward the Epler Avenue overpass, showing the point where I-69N splits to form the ramps to I-465E and I-465W.

Medium distance shot showing the point where the ramps from I-465 come together to become I-69 south; looking slightly northwest.

Underneath the bridge is the ramp from I-465W to I-69S. As can be seen, it's a fairly significant turn.

Another perspective.

Zoomed in view looking east toward I-465 and the Harding Street eastbound exit ramp.

The ramp from I-465E to I-69S.

Turning around, looking south toward the Epler Avenue overpass.

Long range shot looking north toward the ramp from I-465W to I-69S. On the right is a sliver of the I-69N ramp to I-465E.

Closer look of the bridge that will carry the I-69N ramp to I-465W; looking northeast. In the background are the towers of downtown Indianapolis.

The girders and north MSE abutment for the I-69N to I-465W flyover; looking northwest. It's possible another pier will have to be built as that a fair distance to stretch girders. If the pier isn't needed, the girders might be placed in March or early April, if not sooner.

From the ramp that will take I-69N to I-465W, a slightly different perspective.

The Epler Avenue overpass; looking slightly southeast.

Closer look, with a partial view of the newly erected Dynamic Message Sign.

Zoomed in look of the Harding Street Generating Station.

Another look toward the I-69N to I-465W flyover.

ITB

A few more pictures. Again, the photos were taken Saturday, December 30, 2023.

But first, here again for reference is the schematic of the I-69/I-465 interchange:

Walsh-Milestone Design Build Team
The perspective is toward the northeast. The long flyover ramp under construction with girders is in the lower left. In the upper right is the Harding Street interchange. And in the bottom center is the bridge where the ramp from I-465W to I-69S crosses under the ramp from I-69N to I-465W. While not depicted, the Epler Avenue overpass is located just a bit further on from the lower right corner.

The ramps from I-465E to I-69S (left), and from I-69N to I-465W; looking north.

Longer ranger view; looking north. On the right is I-69N just prior to splitting off into the I-465E and I-465W ramps, while I-69S is, of course, on the left.

I-69N ramp to I-465E; looking north. The bridge deck finisher is located on the bridge that takes the ramp over the eastbound I-465 exit ramp to Harding Street.

The flyover for the ramp from I-465W to I-69S; looking northwest. In the mid-foreground is the eastbound exit ramp to Harding Street.

Another look at the I-69N ramp to I-465E near the point it goes over the exit ramp to Harding Street; looking northeast. The water level in the quarry appears to be significantly lower than it was.

Looking south toward the Epler Avenue overpass.

Looking north from the point where the I-69N ramp to I-465W begins to go over the ramp from I-465E to I-69S. What it looks like from below can be seen in the prior photo set posted above.

The ramp from I-465E to I-69S; looking south toward the Epler overpass. Note how the concrete pavement has been grooved.

Closer look of the I-465W to I-69S flyover ramp which is being constructed with precast concrete beams.

In a bit of news, there's been a traffic shift about a half mile east of the Harding Street interchange. Eastbound traffic is now running on the new pavement of the future westbound lanes just east of the mainline bridges over Bluff Road. This will allow for the demolition and rebuilding of the eastbound I-465 bridge over S. Meridian Street. And about a mile to the west, demolition of the old westbound I-465 bridge over the White River should be getting underway soon, if it hasn't already.

ITB

BigRigSteve of BigRigTravels drove through the I-69/I-465 interchange work zone yesterday. Of note, he took the new eastbound exit to Harding Street to get coffee at the Flying J on Thompson Road. Continuing east on I-465, he goes through the new traffic shift where eastbound traffic has been placed on the future westbound lanes east of the bridges over Bluff Road. The pertinent section of the video begins approximately at the 5 minute mark.

sturmde

Ummm, Indiana's INDOT doesn't have to apply for approval from AASHTO's SCOURN because it's not a US route, nor an Interstate Routes.  State Route designations are completely within the domain of the DOT.  But I agree, a TO 69 and TO SR 37 sign should be provided by the contractor(s) until the project is complete and given over to INDOT...

ilpt4u

Quote from: ITB on January 05, 2024, 12:33:41 AM

BigRigSteve of BigRigTravels drove through the I-69/I-465 interchange work zone yesterday. Of note, he took the new eastbound exit to Harding Street to get coffee at the Flying J on Thompson Road. Continuing east on I-465, he goes through the new traffic shift where eastbound traffic has been placed on the future westbound lanes east of the bridges over Bluff Road. The pertinent section of the video begins approximately at the 5 minute mark.

I watched the drive to the west side 70EB Rest Area outside Indy last night, and picked up today's journey just west of Columbus OH, then around on 270 up to 71 and onto his destination in suburban Cleveland. Missed this morning around Indy live, tho

SSR_317

Quote from: ITB on January 05, 2024, 12:33:41 AM

Hope Steve is feeling better today, that cough sounded quite nasty. Safe travels, my friend!

ITB

Trio of screen grabs from INDOT traffic cameras:

INDOT Traffic Camera
Zoomed in view looking east from near the Mann Road overpass. In the background, the old westbound bridge over the White River is being taken down in preparation to the construction of a new, replacement bridge.

INDOT Traffic Camera
West of the I-465/Harding Street interchange work is underway to build new and wider bridges that will carry I-465W over Bluff Road (foreground) and the INRR tracks (background, but not quite visible due to the sign).

INDOT Traffic Camera
Slightly longer range shot from the Mann Road camera showing the partially constructed I-69N to I-465W flyover (background).

Weather wise, the cold days of winter have finally arrived in central Indiana. No major storms as yet, but temps are forecast to drop well below normal next week with some snow expected. Be that as it may, it's only 20 days before the average temps in Indianapolis begin to slowly tick up. And with March only 52 days away, the construction season of 2024 is fast approaching.

bmeiser

You mean 20 days until we arrive in the deep, dark, depressing frozen tundra of February? :-D

ITB

Quote from: bmeiser on January 08, 2024, 12:20:53 PM
You mean 20 days until we arrive in the deep, dark, depressing frozen tundra of February? :-D

I guess the key word of the phrase used is slowly. Indeed, despite Valentine's Day, February isn't a month beloved by many. In any event, though bitter cold and nasty storms are not unusual, the temps are slowly ticking up. Per Wunderground's January and February calendars for Indianapolis:

Average temperatures:

January 26 — 36° / 20°
January 27 — 36° / 21°
January 28 — 37° / 21°

February 3 — 38° / 21°
February 4 — 38° / 22°
February 7 — 39° / 22°
February 9 — 39° / 23°
February 11 — 40° / 23°

bmeiser

Well, those numbers are promising. I'll remind myself of that when Indiana decides to have a random cold spell.

Interstate 69 Fan

Quote from: bmeiser on January 08, 2024, 02:07:09 PM
Well, those numbers are promising. I'll remind myself of that when Indiana decides to have a random cold spell.
That's coming in this weekend, looks like temperatures are forecast to drop almost below zero, so I'm sure they're going to take this next 2 days or so to get what they need done before the cold hits. Looks like it's going to remain super cold into February.
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

Sapphuby

Be wary of next week, over here we're getting negative lows, so I'm pretty sure it's not gonna be much better over there.

bmeiser

Quote from: Sapphuby on January 08, 2024, 08:52:01 PM

Be wary of next week, over here we're getting negative lows, so I'm pretty sure it's not gonna be much better over there.

Pixel 7

I-55

Fun note: I-69 Finish Line is being used for Purdue's civil engineering senior design project. Personally, my stretch entails I-65 to East Street (US 31)
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

silverback1065

Quote from: I-55 on January 09, 2024, 09:37:05 AM
Fun note: I-69 Finish Line is being used for Purdue's civil engineering senior design project. Personally, my stretch entails I-65 to East Street (US 31)

that sounds fun. I got a wastewater treatment plant for mine. not very interesting at all.  :-D what are they making you do? propose a widening solution other than what they went with?

IndyAgent

Quote from: bmeiser on January 08, 2024, 09:11:18 PM
Quote from: Sapphuby on January 08, 2024, 08:52:01 PM

Pixel 7

I just hope everyone stays safe on the roads especially when crews are working. Stay warm and safe 

I-55

Quote from: silverback1065 on January 09, 2024, 10:09:17 AM

that sounds fun. I got a wastewater treatment plant for mine. not very interesting at all.  :-D what are they making you do? propose a widening solution other than what they went with?

Basically traffic impact, detour routes & MOT signage, cost estimate, construction sequencing, pavement design, permitting, and some other things. It's everything except developing a billable set of plans. The PMs will be coming in at some point to speak to our class about the project.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

RoadWarrior56

I am jealous.  Our senior design project was nowhere near as interesting as the I-69 finish line.  It was a parking lot and site entrance somewhere in West Lafayette.

abqtraveler

There you go! Rack up some practical experience toward your PE license while fulfilling a requirement for your civil engineering degree.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.