News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

For each state, what is the most important route that never enters it?

Started by hotdogPi, January 06, 2021, 09:29:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bickendan

Quote from: jakeroot on January 09, 2021, 05:45:33 PM
Quote from: hobsini2 on January 09, 2021, 03:07:20 PM
Quote from: Bickendan on January 07, 2021, 06:47:44 AM
I'm hardpressed to think of one for Oregon. Best I'm coming up with is WA 14 (with possibly WA 4) or US 12.
You could make a case for I-15 bringing traffic up from Salt Lake, Denver, Las Vegas and Phoenix.

That, or possibly I-90.
I could accept those.

DandyDan

Quote from: keithvh on January 10, 2021, 10:59:36 PM
I've seen 2 submissions for Minnesota thus far: WI-35 and US-18.

Could I-39 or even I-294 (Tri-State Tollway) also be considered?  Obviously, if one is going to Milwaukee or Downtown Chicago, they don't need either.  But both routes are important for travel to anywhere else south and east of Chicago-Land, in terms of missing some Chicago congestion.
Someone upthread said I-29, although I think some people were dismissive of it. That's probably because it will not get you to the Twin Cities. It is my belief if you start somewhere south of Sioux City and wish to go somewhere west of US 71, or if you are close to the MN 60 corridor,  you will use it at some point.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

Crown Victoria

Quote from: Roadsguy on January 11, 2021, 01:31:00 AM
Pennsylvania is tricky since its position spanning almost the entire base of the northeast means that all major Interstates and US routes enter PA (e.g. I-95, I-70, I-80, I-81, US 1, US 30, etc.). The only way around it is to go directly from DE to NJ across the Delaware River/Bay. The only three routes that do this are I-295 and US 40 (both on the Delaware Memorial Bridge) and US 9 (on the Cape May—Lewes Ferry). I-295 and US 40 both enter PA elsewhere, so that just leaves US 9, which isn't exactly a "most important" anything.

Since no major long-distance routes completely bypass PA, this just leaves nearby major routes that can be used to get to PA via one of the routes that does enter it. I-71 and I-77 are the two that seem to best qualify, perhaps also I-87. To forcibly include a US route, I'd say US 50, but no one would use that route for long-distance travel since the region is well served by parallel Interstates.

Quote from: Crown Victoria on January 06, 2021, 09:49:31 AM
For PA, the New Jersey Turnpike mainline. It is the main route for traffic from NYC and New England to travel south and links to the only roadway that bypasses PA entirely (Delaware Memorial Bridge).

*The NJ Turnpike counts despite also carrying I-95 (which enters PA) because only part of the Turnpike is I-95. If one wishes we can consider the unsigned NJ 700 portion of the Turnpike as the "most important route".

doorknob60

Quote from: Bickendan on January 11, 2021, 02:25:11 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on January 09, 2021, 05:45:33 PM
I'm hardpressed to think of one for Oregon. Best I'm coming up with is WA 14 (with possibly WA 4) or US 12.
You could make a case for I-15 bringing traffic up from Salt Lake, Denver, Las Vegas and Phoenix.

That, or possibly I-90.
I could accept those.

I could also make the argument for I-80. Long distance traffic (eg. anywhere east of Utah) traveling to Oregon will likely use I-80 (more likely than I-90). I-80 provides connections to Eastern Oregon via US-95 and US-395, though admittedly insignificant compared to I-84 (most traffic using those two routes will be crossing I-80 more than actually using it, eg. traffic from Reno or Vegas). And adding in this one puts it over the top IMO, it's part of the route between the San Francisco area and anywhere in Oregon, along with I-505 and I-5.

I think it's more important than I-15 at least, but I-90 and WA-14 are just as good of contenders. WA-14 gets points for being a major detour route if I-84 has to close in the gorge. Whether it be for general winter weather, wildfires, derailed trains, etc., I've seen WA-14 used as a detour for I-84 many times.

ethanhopkin14

KCRoadFan

dkblake

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 09, 2021, 11:39:45 PM
For Massachusetts, I could see CT 15 being it because of it's role for Boston to New York travel.

Seconded- Boston being the focal point of the New England interstate system makes Massachusetts a challenging one for this, since either roads go into Mass or (like NH 101) explicitly provide non-Mass intrastate corridors. The second tier would probably be I-89 and I-287.
2dis clinched: 8, 17, 69(original), 71, 72, 78, 81, 84(E), 86(E), 88(E), 89, 91, 93, 97

Mob-rule: http://www.mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/dblake.gif

The Nature Boy

I'll tackle the New England states not otherwise mentioned:

Vermont: I-87, it's the primary route that one might travel to get to Burlington from NYC. If not for the tiny bit of I-93 that enters St. Johnsbury, the answer would be I-93.

I'm having trouble with Maine though. My temptation is to say NH 101 because it essentially serves as a connector for Portland and Manchester (and basically anywhere else in NH).

dkblake

Quote from: The Nature Boy on January 11, 2021, 10:17:23 PM

Vermont: I-87, it's the primary route that one might travel to get to Burlington from NYC. If not for the tiny bit of I-93 that enters St. Johnsbury, the answer would be I-93.

I'm having trouble with Maine though. My temptation is to say NH 101 because it essentially serves as a connector for Portland and Manchester (and basically anywhere else in NH).

I-495?
2dis clinched: 8, 17, 69(original), 71, 72, 78, 81, 84(E), 86(E), 88(E), 89, 91, 93, 97

Mob-rule: http://www.mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/dblake.gif

1995hoo

The Trans-Canada Highway might qualify if you consider it as one route instead of as a series of separately-numbered highways in Quebec and New Brunswick (limiting it to those two provinces because they're the only ones that border Maine). No reason to limit the discussion to highways located solely in the USA.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

webny99

For New York, it might be I-80. It sounds absurd, but there are not a lot of other good options.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 12, 2021, 09:06:14 AM

The Trans-Canada Highway might qualify if you consider it as one route instead of as a series of separately-numbered highways in Quebec and New Brunswick (limiting it to those two provinces because they're the only ones that border Maine). No reason to limit the discussion to highways located solely in the USA.

I asked this question and didn't get a response.  Do routes that can't legally enter a state/province count?  For Quebec I could say it would be I-89, but that's only because the designation can't enter the province.  The pavement enters the province and continues as (future) A-35.

Same thing with I-35 being the most important route to Nuevo Leon, but that's again only because the designation can only legally go to the border. 

vdeane

Given that I-35 stops several blocks north of the border, it arguably counts either way.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

X99

For South Dakota...

I got nothing. Maybe MN 60 or I-25, but I think both of those are a stretch. How would you even determine a "most important route" for a state with two completely separate population centers?
why are there only like 5 people on this forum from south dakota

JayhawkCO

Quote from: X99 on January 12, 2021, 07:01:29 PM
For South Dakota...

I got nothing. Maybe MN 60 or I-25, but I think both of those are a stretch. How would you even determine a "most important route" for a state with two completely separate population centers?

I think for South Dakota, I'd go a little farther afield and go either I-35 (connecting to I-29), I-49 (similar, especially once finished), or maybe even MB-75.  There's nothing particularly close to a border anywhere that carries much traffic.

Chris

The Nature Boy

Quote from: dkblake on January 12, 2021, 08:37:29 AM

I-495?

I considered I-495 because of its role in funneling Maine traffic to points south of Boston but I feel like a road that avoids Boston doesn't work for Maine, given how important the city is for all of New England. But I can see the argument.

X99

Quote from: jayhawkco on January 12, 2021, 07:11:03 PM
Quote from: X99 on January 12, 2021, 07:01:29 PM
For South Dakota...

I think for South Dakota, I'd go a little farther afield and go either I-35 (connecting to I-29), I-49 (similar, especially once finished), or maybe even MB-75.  There's nothing particularly close to a border anywhere that carries much traffic.

Chris

In that case, I think I'll just pick one route for each population center. For East River, I-35 fits the position better than MN 60. For West River, I-25 still seems to be the best option, with US 20 becoming a possibility once the Heartland Expressway is finished to that point.
why are there only like 5 people on this forum from south dakota

Mark68

I'd say I-80 might be a better example for bringing traffic from Denver (via I-84). I've traveled between Portland & Denver using primarily I-80 thru WY to I-84 in UT.
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Mark68 on January 13, 2021, 02:02:48 PM

I'd say I-80 might be a better example for bringing traffic from Denver (via I-84). I've traveled between Portland & Denver using primarily I-80 thru WY to I-84 in UT.

Even if people did take I-80 west into Utah, they'd still be utilizing I-15 after I-80.  So if you made I-15 the "more important route", you'd get all those that came across on I-80 from Wyoming plus anyone in Utah.

Chris

roadman65

I-95 is for Florida as the East Coast uses it to vacation or patronize the developers here and become permanent residents.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

hotdogPi

Quote from: roadman65 on January 13, 2021, 02:32:57 PM
I-95 is for Florida as the East Coast uses it to vacation or patronize the developers here and become permanent residents.

Did you read the thread title?
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

kphoger

I see I-49/US-71 and I-29 have both been suggested for Kansas, and ... ehhh ... I'm not so sure how important they are to Kansas.

But that just goes to show that this is a tough question for Kansas.  Both I-435 and I-635 (KC bypasses) exist in Kansas, so they're out.  I-29 might still fit the bill anyway, but just because it serves the KC airport.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on January 13, 2021, 02:42:36 PM
I see I-49/US-71 and I-29 have both been suggested for Kansas, and ... ehhh ... I'm not so sure how important they are to Kansas.

But that just goes to show that this is a tough question for Kansas.  Both I-435 and I-635 (KC bypasses) exist in Kansas, so they're out.  I-29 might still fit the bill anyway, but just because it serves the KC airport.

Given that most of the population in KS in in the eastern half, I think we can safely eliminate anything to the west.  Since there's not much directly north or south of the state line (other than OKC which I-35 disqualifies and Tulsa which US75 disqualifies), I think you have to go something just east of the state line.  I'd personally say right now, I-29 gets the nod.  Once I-49 is finished all the way through Arkansas, that might end up being the most highly used freight route to get to/from Kansas.

Chris

kphoger

For Texas, I'd say Carr. Fed. 85 in Mexico for reasons of international freight shipping.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

CoreySamson

For Louisiana, I'd think I-65's probably the way to go. One could probably make a case for I-45, though.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.