For each state, what is the most important route that never enters it?

Started by hotdogPi, January 06, 2021, 09:29:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bickendan

I'm hardpressed to think of one for Oregon. Best I'm coming up with is WA 14 (with possibly WA 4) or US 12.

DandyDan

Quote from: pianocello on January 06, 2021, 05:49:55 PM
For Iowa: I-88. Drops you right into downtown Chicago, plus almost any other regionally significant roads that Iowans use would just go through the state.
I was challenged to think of one til you said that. I suspect if you live or are going to a point close to the Minnesota border, it's I-90.

Quote from: KCRoadFan on January 06, 2021, 08:09:52 PM
Also, here's another example: I-29 for Nebraska, because it connects to Omaha via I-80 at Council Bluffs - not to mention all of the other bridges into Nebraska from Iowa, thanks to its running parallel to the Missouri River along the western edge of the latter state. (In a similar vein, because it runs along the eastern edge of both the Dakotas, I-29 also serves as a connector for various points in western Minnesota.)
If ever there was an obvious answer for a state, that is it for Nebraska. I would go so far as to say I-29 would be it for Kansas as well.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

1995hoo

For Florida: Honestly, I got nothing. This is a tough exercise for a state in the corner of the country with a bunch of road connections to many different places.

I was looking at a map and I wonder whether I-185 might work as Florida's candidate. At first blush it seems odd to suggest a 3di as an "important" route, but looking at a map suggests that if I-185 extended south to I-10 (whether as I-185 or as a route with some other number), it would provide a logical all-Interstate-grade route from both Tallahassee and the Florida Panhandle to Atlanta and other points to the northeast.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

dkblake

VT: I'd go with I-87 over either MA 2 or the Quebec highways. CT depends on which way you're going, but I would go with I-287 then I-90.
2dis clinched: 8, 17, 69(original), 71, 72, 78, 81, 84(E), 86(E), 88(E), 89, 91, 93, 97

Mob-rule: http://www.mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/dblake.gif

jmacswimmer

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 07, 2021, 08:44:32 AM

For Florida: Honestly, I got nothing. This is a tough exercise for a state in the corner of the country with a bunch of road connections to many different places.

I was looking at a map and I wonder whether I-185 might work as Florida's candidate. At first blush it seems odd to suggest a 3di as an "important" route, but looking at a map suggests that if I-185 extended south to I-10 (whether as I-185 or as a route with some other number), it would provide a logical all-Interstate-grade route from both Tallahassee and the Florida Panhandle to Atlanta and other points to the northeast.

I'll throw out another candidate: I-77?  I imagine that upon reaching Columbia SC, long-haul traffic on the I-77 corridor cuts over on I-26 and then continues on I-95 to Georgia & Florida. 

(This was apparent on a trip a few weeks ago when, after free-flowing conditions thru Virginia & the Carolinas on I-95, traffic ground to a halt at exit 86 courtesy of the sheer volume entering from I-26 east, and the congestion continued on-and-off all the way over the Savannah River to where the 3rd lane begins in Georgia.)
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

1995hoo

Quote from: jmacswimmer on January 07, 2021, 09:09:48 AM

(This was apparent on a trip a few weeks ago when, after free-flowing conditions thru Virginia & the Carolinas on I-95, traffic ground to a halt at exit 86 courtesy of the sheer volume entering from I-26 east, and the congestion continued on-and-off all the way over the Savannah River to where the 3rd lane begins in Georgia.)

I find more often than not that there's heavy congestion along that stretch–not necessarily all of it, but enough to be a nuisance almost every time we drive that way. On the most recent trip, we bailed at Exit 18, headed south on parallel US-17 into Hardeeville, saw the massive backup to get back onto I-95, and just stayed on US-17 down to the bridge to Savannah and then back up I-16 to I-95. Who knows whether we actually saved any time. Probably not, but on the other hand, we were moving at 60—65 mph and we got to take a new route, so that always works for me. (Yes, we could have taken SC-170 and GA-25 instead, but we had already been that way on a prior trip and since it was dark I preferred to take the wider road out of concern about things like animals running across the road through the wildlife refuge.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Scott5114

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on January 06, 2021, 06:11:09 PM
I-37 and I-45 for Oklahoma.

I-45, maybe, since the oil industry in Oklahoma City and Tulsa has a lot of connections to Houston. It's mostly executives traveling back and forth, though, and I imagine they fly. There are some people that enjoy Galveston as a vacation spot.

I-37 is a lot more of a stretch. Corpus and South Padre is a vacation destination, but doesn't have similar industry draw that I-45 has. I would imagine I-2 has the same amount of importance as I-37 would.

The fact of the matter is that the most important out-of-state destination for Oklahoma is Dallas, which is well served by routes that do enter Oklahoma. Most Oklahomans see "Dallas" when they hear "Texas" and don't have much reason to go elsewhere in Texas.

One possibility that I considered is I-55, since it continues the US-66 route into Chicago. At the other end, you could plausibly count I-15, CA-110, or whatever other routes replaced US-66.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

KCRoadFan

Another one I thought of - I-80 for Colorado. It connects to I-25 in Cheyenne, WY and I-76 in western Nebraska - the primary routes into Denver from the north.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 07, 2021, 12:12:25 PM

I-45, maybe, since the oil industry in Oklahoma City and Tulsa has a lot of connections to Houston. It's mostly executives traveling back and forth, though, and I imagine they fly. There are some people that enjoy Galveston as a vacation spot.

I-37 is a lot more of a stretch. Corpus and South Padre is a vacation destination, but doesn't have similar industry draw that I-45 has. I would imagine I-2 has the same amount of importance as I-37 would.

The fact of the matter is that the most important out-of-state destination for Oklahoma is Dallas, which is well served by routes that do enter Oklahoma. Most Oklahomans see "Dallas" when they hear "Texas" and don't have much reason to go elsewhere in Texas.

One possibility that I considered is I-55, since it continues the US-66 route into Chicago. At the other end, you could plausibly count I-15, CA-110, or whatever other routes replaced US-66.

The reason I say I-37 is because I have always seen it as the South Texas version of I-35E/I-35W where I-35E=I-37 and I-35W=I-35.  All that funnels north.  I agree that The Corpus Christi oil industry is a shell of the Galveston-Houston oil industry, but I do think some Corpus Christi originated traffic makes it's way to Oklahoma. 

SkyPesos

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 07, 2021, 12:12:25 PM

Kind of wondering, how important is I-70 to Oklahoma for long distance travel compared to the other ones that got mentioned? It's involved on every routing from Oklahoma to most cities in the northeast, Ohio, Ontario, Michigan east of Lansing, and parts of Indiana.

Konza

Wondering what this might be for Arizona.  One could offer up I-11, but that would be temporary at best, and the US routes it's multiplexed with continue into Arizona.

I'd offer up I-20, which, with I-30, connects most of the East Coast to the Phoenix and Tucson areas.  I-44 would be another possibility, but I question whether a route that feeds into I-40 is as important as one that feeds into I-10.
Main Line Interstates clinched:  2, 4, 5, 8, 10, 11, 12, 14, 16, 17, 19, 20, 24, 25, 26, 27, 29, 30, 37, 39, 43, 44, 45, 55, 57, 59, 65, 68, 71, 72, 74 (IA-IL-IN-OH), 76 (OH-PA-NJ), 78, 80, 82, 86 (ID), 88 (IL)

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: Konza on January 07, 2021, 02:15:45 PM
Wondering what this might be for Arizona.  One could offer up I-11, but that would be temporary at best, and the US routes it's multiplexed with continue into Arizona.

I'd offer up I-20, which, with I-30, connects most of the East Coast to the Phoenix and Tucson areas.  I-44 would be another possibility, but I question whether a route that feeds into I-40 is as important as one that feeds into I-10.

Word.  I think I-20 and I-30 are important to New Mexico, Arizona and California. 

JayhawkCO

I obviously agree with I-80 for Colorado.

For Utah, I'd submit US160.  Would be useful for anyone going from Phoenix to Moab as well as anyone coming from New Mexico towards that direction. It just misses entering Utah by about 500 feet too.  There aren't a ton of great options, but that seems like the one that leads towards the biggest population centers.  The only other one I could even possibly justify would be AZ67, as a lot of people stay in Kanab to get to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon.

Chris

Scott5114

Quote from: DandyDan on January 07, 2021, 08:32:40 AM
If ever there was an obvious answer for a state, that is it for Nebraska. I would go so far as to say I-29 would be it for Kansas as well.

I-49 is another good option for Kansas–of course, serving the exact same function as I-29, but south of Kansas City rather than north of it.

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on January 07, 2021, 12:36:11 PM
The reason I say I-37 is because I have always seen it as the South Texas version of I-35E/I-35W where I-35E=I-37 and I-35W=I-35.  All that funnels north.  I agree that The Corpus Christi oil industry is a shell of the Galveston-Houston oil industry, but I do think some Corpus Christi originated traffic makes it's way to Oklahoma. 

Sure, but is Corpus-originating traffic important to Oklahoma? Doubt it. You may as well say that the answer for Oklahoma is I-29 because it allows Omaha traffic to reach Oklahoma. Yes, it's true, but we don't really have any ties to Omaha either.

Quote from: Konza on January 07, 2021, 02:15:45 PM
Wondering what this might be for Arizona.  [...]  I-44 would be another possibility, but I question whether a route that feeds into I-40 is as important as one that feeds into I-10.

On the other hand, I-44 is an excellent candidate for New Mexico, because I-40 is far more important to NM than I-10 is. I-44 is also a possible candidate for California (though that state is so large and has so many roads feeding into the roads that lead there that there are far more contenders).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

KCRoadFan

Quote from: SkyPesos on January 06, 2021, 06:00:38 PM
For Iowa: I-88. Drops you right into downtown Chicago, plus almost any other regionally significant roads that Iowans use would just go through the state.

Here's my options for FL:
I-24: Part of fastest route from FL to most points northwest of the state, notably cities in the Midwest west of Ohio like Indianapolis, Chicago, St. Louis, Kansas City, Minneapolis, and even a far flung city like Seattle
I-77: Part of fastest route from FL to cities like Charlotte, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Buffalo and Toronto

It really depends on what part of Florida you're talking about. As for the Panhandle/Emerald Coast area ("Redneck Riviera" ), I would say I-65 and I-85 are the most important out-of-state roads. Those highways meet in Montgomery, Alabama; from there, US 331 takes off heading south through Luverne, Opp, and DeFuniak Springs before eventually meeting US 98 east of Destin. I'm sure that for that reason, the two interstates that I mentioned are rather crowded during spring break, and also throughout the summer. Is that right?

US 89

Quote from: jayhawkco on January 07, 2021, 05:06:26 PM
For Utah, I'd submit US160.  Would be useful for anyone going from Phoenix to Moab as well as anyone coming from New Mexico towards that direction. It just misses entering Utah by about 500 feet too.  There aren't a ton of great options, but that seems like the one that leads towards the biggest population centers.  The only other one I could even possibly justify would be AZ67, as a lot of people stay in Kanab to get to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon.

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 06, 2021, 12:21:23 PM
Maybe US-64? I recognize the part of Utah near there is relatively isolated from the rest of the state, of course.

I'm not sure I agree with either 64 or 160. Those routes are useful for tourists wanting to get to Utah, but they really aren't all that important to Utah itself given the vast majority of the state's population lives along the I-15 corridor in the northern part of the state (unless you're counting economic implications from tourist revenue).

There are very few destinations for which the fastest route there from northern Utah uses significant mileage on US 64 or 160. Most long-distance traffic would only use brief portions of those routes.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 07, 2021, 06:41:51 PM
On the other hand, I-44 is an excellent candidate for New Mexico, because I-40 is far more important to NM than I-10 is. I-44 is also a possible candidate for California (though that state is so large and has so many roads feeding into the roads that lead there that there are far more contenders).

Interestingly, I think for New Mexico, you could also nominate I-15.  I know it's a ways away, but anything coming from Southern California or the Pacific Northwest to New Mexico is going to take that road either in California or Utah.

Chris

SkyPesos

Quote from: KCRoadFan on January 07, 2021, 06:54:35 PM
Quote from: SkyPesos on January 06, 2021, 06:00:38 PM

Here's my options for FL:
I-24: Part of fastest route from FL to most points northwest of the state, notably cities in the Midwest west of Ohio like Indianapolis, Chicago, St. Louis, Kansas City, Minneapolis, and even a far flung city like Seattle
I-77: Part of fastest route from FL to cities like Charlotte, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Buffalo and Toronto

It really depends on what part of Florida you're talking about. As for the Panhandle/Emerald Coast area ("Redneck Riviera" ), I would say I-65 and I-85 are the most important out-of-state roads. Those highways meet in Montgomery, Alabama; from there, US 331 takes off heading south through Luverne, Opp, and DeFuniak Springs before eventually meeting US 98 east of Destin. I'm sure that for that reason, the two interstates that I mentioned are rather crowded during spring break, and also throughout the summer. Is that right?
Yes, I-65/I-85 are the choices for the panhandle. I was only thinking of the main penisula part of FL (not sure if there's a better name), which you already have I-75 and I-95 for N-S traffic from there. Of course those two routes aren't as viable for the panhandle compared to I-65 and I-85. I just ended up choosing 2 of the closest main feeders for I-75 and I-95 into FL, which I had as I-24 for I-75, and I-77 for I-95.

JCinSummerfield

Quote from: GaryV on January 06, 2021, 01:12:20 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on January 06, 2021, 10:29:35 AM
For Michigan I'll say probably US-20 or I-80/90.
Ontario 401 or 402.

For Yoopers, it might be I-39

Hot Rod Hootenanny

For 35 states, the most important route that never enters them is I-95
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

thspfc

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: JCinSummerfield on January 08, 2021, 12:34:39 PM
Quote from: GaryV on January 06, 2021, 01:12:20 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on January 06, 2021, 10:29:35 AM
For Michigan I'll say probably US-20 or I-80/90.
Ontario 401 or 402.

For Yoopers, it might be I-39

Does it count when a route cannot legally go into the territory?  Like crossing international boundaries?

hbelkins

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 07, 2021, 06:41:51 PM
Quote from: DandyDan on January 07, 2021, 08:32:40 AM

I-49 is another good option for Kansas–of course, serving the exact same function as I-29, but south of Kansas City rather than north of it.

Based on what I've seen every time I've traveled I-24 in western Kentucky, it appears to be pretty important to Kansans as well. I see lots of Kansas and Missouri plates on I-24.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

TheHighwayMan3561

US 18 is another one I keep coming back to for MN because a short piece of it is part of the Avenue of the Saints, bridging I-35 and US 218 both of which obviously enter Minnesota.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

hobsini2

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 06, 2021, 12:21:23 PM
Quote from: US 89 on January 06, 2021, 12:07:42 PM
I don't think Utah really has one, since most long-distance corridors you'd take to get places from Utah pass through it. Maybe US 30 or 93, but really those are more useful for people in the small towns along them to get to Salt Lake rather than the other way around. Plus 30 isn't really that important of a route since it largely follows I-80 and I-84.

US 550 might be another option, since that's a big part of going SE from Salt Lake to really anywhere in the US south of I-40 and west of I-65.

Maybe US-64? I recognize the part of Utah near there is relatively isolated from the rest of the state, of course.
Actually, I would think I-40 for Utah and Nevada. Yes it is a long way south of Utah but I am thinking in terms of a pretty close trans continental highway.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.