News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Words that sound like what they mean

Started by bandit957, January 15, 2020, 09:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

Certain words sound like the very things that they mean. I don't mean words like 'bang' and 'boom' that are designed to mimic sounds. I mean words that naturally form over time and just happen to sound like the things they represent.

A good example is 'complain'. The word 'complain' actually sounds like it's complaining. Another word like this is 'republic'. It rolls off the tongue in a way that represents that very type of government. It has a firm, resolute stress on the second syllable.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

texaskdog

Like when a lion roars or a cat meows?

Alps

Big John

US 89

Beltway

Burp, belch, puke, spew, regurgitate, upchuck
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

kurumi

Some adjectives sort of sound like themselves: pompous, meticulous, bombastic, serene, etc. But maybe that's just associations they've built up over a lifetime of use.

Japanese has lots of "gitaigo" adjectives that don't mimic sounds but still act like onomatopoeia: fuwafuwa for fluffy, etc.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

mgk920

Howabout all of those totally perfect Yiddish words....

Mike

Mr. Matté

Are these threads getting dumber or just louder?

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: kurumi on January 16, 2020, 12:01:58 PM
But maybe that's just associations they've built up over a lifetime of use.

This is exactly it. I am certain that if "fuwafuwa" meant "pompous" then we'd be talking about that instead.

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

webny99

Quote from: hbelkins on January 16, 2020, 02:01:21 PM
Phlegm.

That also looks (on paper) exactly like what it means, which might be another thread altogether.

bandit957

Quote from: webny99 on January 16, 2020, 06:05:30 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on January 16, 2020, 02:01:21 PM
Phlegm.

That also looks (on paper) exactly like what it means, which might be another thread altogether.

I like the way the lowercase 'e' looks in words that are funny, because the 'e' looks like it's laughing.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.