News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Colorized Back and White or Black & White

Started by roadman65, April 05, 2020, 12:21:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Just saw a colored remake of the first season of Gillian's Island.  To me it looked awful and rather see those episodes in their B & W format.

Does any like when other Black and White films or programs are specially colorized?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Max Rockatansky

I've never found that colorizing black and white film looked particularly good.  The film looks really washed out to me and the colors are usually too vibrant. 

In_Correct

Colourized ... Especially if the programme started in Black And White but ended in Colour.

Lots of people think that the programmes need to stay in black and white be cause that is what the creator of the programme requested.

This is not true with many programmes such as I Dream Of Jeannie. The creator of I Dream Of Jeannie requested the first season episodes to be in colour, but was denied.

They finally colourized the first season episodes to match the rest of the episodes. It can be considered a remaster as the bottle in the first season was dark green, but was supposed to be purple.

Other Programmes that I am glad are Colourized is Bewitched. They were supposed to end in 1975, which would make it awkward to watch the first two seasons if they did not Colourize them.

Hazel is a Programme that was mostly in Colour despite being produced in a time period that Colour was optional. Most of the first season is in Black & White. It would be best to have every episode of Hazel in Colour.

Another programme that would be better with every episode in Colour is Dark Shadows. Approximately 300 episodes were in Black And White either be cause of a slow switch to Colour as well as A.B.C. not preserving programmes properly. Several Colour episodes now exist only in Black & White.

I enjoy the Programmes now have every Episode in Colour. I do not find the Colour Process to be low quality. If the programme originally made any episodes in Colour, the Colour Process applied to the Black & White episodes is based on the episodes that were originally produced in Colour.
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

US71

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 05, 2020, 12:26:05 PM
I've never found that colorizing black and white film looked particularly good.  The film looks really washed out to me and the colors are usually too vibrant. 

It cam be done, but is labor intensive to do it right. The BBC has had some limited experience with it.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

nexus73

"World War II In Color" has a mix of color and colorized film.  The blend looks good to me.  YMMV.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

thenetwork

I agree on the Gilligan's Island colorized 1st season.  Those are the worst Ive seen.  But again, those were done in the infancy of colorization.  McHales Navy also was colorized early on, but I haven't seen them being rerun anywhere as they were bad as well.

Looking at the colorized I Love Lucy and Dick Van Dyke Show episodes done in the past few years, they really have improved the technology.  If the modern cllororized episodes still don't look perfect, keep in mind that many black and white shows had sets with limited color tones or parts of the set had abnormal colors so the items would show better in the black and white prints.

roadman65

The Munsters I heard was done purposely in Black and White to give the haunted house effect for the show.

The reason why the First Season of I Dream of Jeannie was denied color cause of the effects of the smoke out of the bottle cost more money in color than black and white.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: US71 on April 09, 2020, 05:09:49 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 05, 2020, 12:26:05 PM

It cam be done, but is labor intensive to do it right. The BBC has had some limited experience with it.

Exactly, some fans helped the BBC to restaure in full colour a surviving black and white copy serial of the Jon Pertwee era of Doctor Who titled "The Mind of Evil".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mind_of_Evil#Commercial_releases
https://tardis.fandom.com/wiki/The_Mind_of_Evil_(TV_story)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riML7zVMaqo

oscar

"The Last Picture Show" was deliberately filmed in black and white rather than color (in the early 1970s, when most films were done in color). The director originally wanted to paint an entire town gray, for a bleak depiction of a dying town, but was persuaded to shoot in black and white for a similar effect.

That film was a classic. Its sequel, Texasville, was shot in color. It sucked.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

nexus73

Quote from: oscar on April 15, 2020, 06:43:14 PM
"The Last Picture Show" was deliberately filmed in black and white rather than color (in the early 1970s, when most films were done in color). The director originally wanted to paint an entire town gray, for a bleak depiction of a dying town, but was persuaded to shoot in black and white for a similar effect.

That film was a classic. Its sequel, Texasville, was shot in color. It sucked.

It has been decades since I saw "The Last Picture Show".  B&W sure made an impact in the movie's depiction of a down and out Texas town.  It painted such a discouraging picture of the Longhorn State.

"The Longest Day" was the last Hollywood WWII epic which was made in B&W.  Color would have been better for that one.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Rothman

The Last Picture Show was just about the boobs.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.