News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New Roads with Unusual Surfaces (bricks, stones)

Started by jakeroot, March 29, 2020, 08:59:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

(edited title)

In Tacoma, WA, there is a road (North Carr St) that was paved with belgian blocks in the late 90s or early 2000s. Compared to many of Tacoma's roads with belgian blocks (of which there are many), this is by far the newest, cleanest, and smoothest example. I think it's quite lovely:

(this image is a little trippy...it's a very steep street)

Have there been any streets in your area (or in areas that you're familiar with) that have received new belgian blocks (setts) in recent years? 20th-century trends were generally to pave asphalt over these surfaces, but I believe there has been a recent trend back towards new surfaces that aren't concrete or asphalt, especially for those roads that aren't arterial routes or which are meant to be pedestrianised.

The above example caught my eye particularly because it was not accompanied by other urban design 'strategies' (such as new trees or narrowing), and it's not an area that is heavily used by pedestrians apart from July 4 celebrations.

I was originally going to post this in the Urban Design board, but it seems too road-related to qualify. If a mod disagrees, certainly move it there.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.