News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-69 Ohio River Bridge

Started by truejd, August 05, 2010, 10:32:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverback1065

Quote from: Captain Jack on February 04, 2016, 12:42:52 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on February 03, 2016, 10:38:10 PM
Moonlite is for tourists. The locals prefer another BBQ joint in Owensboro, the name of which escapes me at the moment.

My guess is you are thinking of Old Hickory.

On a side note, the bad blood between Evansville and Owensboro, particularly Mayor Ron has began to boil quite a bit harder. Evansville was in a tough lease negotiation with its minor league hockey team when Mayor Ron appeared out of nowhere and gave the hockey team owner, Ron Geary, the Owensboro Sportscenter. A few stips, primarily Geary has to put $6 mil into renovating it, but the arena is basically his. On the surface it seems ridiculous for a hockey team to leave a larger market with a 5 year old state of the art arena, for Owensboro and a 70 year old dump that isn't even large enough in its current state to hold hockey..but...Geary, who also owns Ellis Park, gets a new OTB parlor in Owensboro as well.

Of course, this has sent Winnecke and the city of Evansville in full batcrap mode. They are publicly working feverishly to secure a new hockey team for the Ford Center. I have a friend who works at the Evansville Airport, and he has heard that Winnecke has asked the Airport Board to make every attempt possible to lure Allegant Airlines from Owensboro to Evansville. EVV currently has three commercial airlines, American, Delta and United, while Allegant is the only commercial carrier in OWB. Allegant already markets this as (Evansville). Losing Allegant would be a huge blow to OWB.

It's really sad that these cities can't work together for the common good of the region, as Evansville and Henderson appear to do. However, Mayor Ron seems to be incapable of that, as seen with his rather moronic attempt to relocate an already completed I-69 away from Evansville.

Regardless, things should be interesting in this region for awhile.

is this why evansville currently has 2 hockey teams?  is one leaving now?

Life in Paradise

If I were planning the connection with the existing I-69 in Indiana to the Kentucky I-69, I would go as planned from about the 2 mile marker from I-69 in Indiana to the new terrain bridge as planned with the modified plan to bring the new road back into the Pennyrile near what was exit 79.  I would then route US 41 from its route through Evansville onto what was I-164 and duplex it and I-69 across the Ohio River on the toll bridge.  The existing bridges could be changed to an extended Alt US 41.  Matter of fact, the older of the two bridges could be decommissioned as carrying traffic, and be prepared for pedestrian traffic to tie into the long walking/biking trails that are becoming a part of Evansville/Newburgh IN.

US 41

I live in Terre Haute and I had no idea that you could fly in and out of Evansville and Owensboro. I guess it makes sense though. Apparently you can fly to Orlando and St. Louis from Owensboro; and to Charlotte, Chicago, Dallas, Atlanta, and Detroit from Evansville. I didn't know that so many people flew. I do know that Terre Haute has been trying to get airlines to come to our airport for a long time. We used to have flights I guess. We almost got Branson a few years ago, but it never happened for some reason. In all honesty Terre Haute is too close to Indianapolis Int'l for it to ever happen. I think people are obsessed with getting airlines to come to Terre Haute just because the airport is called Terre Haute Int'l Airport.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

hbelkins

That name Ron Geary sounds awfully familiar.

ADDENDUM -- Yep. He was secretary of the Kentucky Revenue Cabinet under Gov. John Y. Brown (1979-83).

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Georgia

all it takes for an airport to have an International designation in the name is a US Customs office; so the term International in an airport name is pretty loose.

Allegiant flies out of KOWB I believe 3 days a week, so it is hardly regular service but it is quite handy for people in the Owensboro area if they want to save a hour driving to Evansville's airport on the other side of town from them.

kkt

Quote from: Georgia on February 05, 2016, 05:00:18 PM
all it takes for an airport to have an International designation in the name is a US Customs office; so the term International in an airport name is pretty loose.

San Jose, California's, airport called itself "Norman Mineta International" when there were NO scheduled flights to any other countries.  Many Bay Area residents started calling it "Mineta Intergalactic," because it was just as intergalactic as it was international.

jnewkirk77

Allegiant flies out of KOWB I believe 3 days a week, so it is hardly regular service but it is quite handy for people in the Owensboro area if they want to save a hour driving to Evansville's airport on the other side of town from them.

Cape Air also flies out of Owensboro to St. Louis; that service is daily.

mukade

Quote from: jnewkirk77 on February 06, 2016, 08:52:06 AM

This has gotten way off track, but I would assume the Cape Air flights are on Cessna 402 aircraft that carry 8 or 9 passenges so I doubt that would be something worth going after. Not only that, but that is a pretty short distance for air travel - especially when I-64 connects directly to St. Louis. Indy airport hasn't had flights to St. Louis in years since St. Louis lost its hub status.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: mukade on February 06, 2016, 11:12:24 AM

This has gotten way off track, but I would assume the Cape Air flights are on Cessna 402 aircraft that carry 8 or 9 passenges so I doubt that would be something worth going after. Not only that, but that is a pretty short distance for air travel - especially when I-64 connects directly to St. Louis. Indy airport hasn't had flights to St. Louis in years since St. Louis lost its hub status.

They are Cessnas.  It is about a 90-minute flight, and the time I took it, it saved me $200 over flying out of Evansville.

silverback1065

interesting that you can't fly to indy, yes it's close by flying standards, but i still find it interesting.

ATLRedSoxFan

I know USAir used to fly IND-EVV, because I've taken that flight, a long time ago.

mukade

Quote from: ATLRedSoxFan on February 06, 2016, 10:00:44 PM
I know USAir used to fly IND-EVV, because I've taken that flight, a long time ago.

Not true anymore. No flights from IND to Cincy, St. Louis, or Cleveland either. The only short range ones now are to ORD - even SWA to Midway is no more. The flights to DTW seem to all be the small CRJs as Delta flies all big planes to ATL (including some 757s). MSP flights seem to be using regional jets more as well. In addition to the flights from IND to the major hubs, there are more non-stops to distant destinations like Las Vegas, San Francisco, Miami, LAX, and most of the big east coast and Florida cities, however.

hbelkins

Why would anyone want to fly from Indy to Cincinnati or St. Louis? By the time you get to the airport, park, go through TSA theater, etc., you could drive to either city.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

mukade

Cincinnati was a Delta hub and St. Louis was a TWA/AA hub. Otherwise, no, you would not.

ATLRedSoxFan

USAir had a focus city at IND in the late 80's. Just like CVG, but on a smaller scale.. Days of past..

tdindy88

Quote from: hbelkins on February 07, 2016, 07:17:16 PM
Why would anyone want to fly from Indy to Cincinnati or St. Louis? By the time you get to the airport, park, go through TSA theater, etc., you could drive to either city.

I feel guilty for having nothing to say about the proposed I-69 bridge over the Ohio River, but I remember flying from Indy to Cincy back in 2009...to go to Las Vegas. Though I understand it no longer being possible. So yeah....that bridge.

US 41

Quote from: tdindy88 on February 07, 2016, 11:07:04 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on February 07, 2016, 07:17:16 PM

I feel guilty for having nothing to say about the proposed I-69 bridge over the Ohio River, but I remember flying from Indy to Cincy back in 2009...to go to Las Vegas. Though I understand it no longer being possible. So yeah....that bridge.

When Terre Haute had flights back in the day I think they all went to Chicago.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

mgk920

Quote from: kkt on February 05, 2016, 05:22:56 PM

San Jose, California's, airport called itself "Norman Mineta International" when there were NO scheduled flights to any other countries.  Many Bay Area residents started calling it "Mineta Intergalactic," because it was just as intergalactic as it was international.

My local airport (Appleton, WI - ATW) recently added a USCustoms office along with the 'international' moniker, too, done so to make life easier for the airport's major non-passenger related tenant, that being Gulfstream (the upper-end private airplane builder).  Now, their customers don't have to clear customs elsewhere when flying their airplanes in for service from outside of the USA.

Mike

Rothman

Quote from: mgk920 on February 08, 2016, 11:00:16 AM
Quote from: kkt on February 05, 2016, 05:22:56 PM

My local airport (Appleton, WI - ATW) recently added a USCustoms office along with the 'international' moniker, too, done so to make life easier for the airport's major non-passenger related tenant, that being Gulfstream (the upper-end private airplane builder).  Now, their customers don't have to clear customs elsewhere when flying their airplanes in for service from outside of the USA.

Mike

MacArthur Airport on Long Island's probably going this route as well.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

abqtraveler

Looks like there may be some movement by Indiana and Kentucky on restarting efforts to build the I-69 bridge over the Ohio River.  Discussion is ongoing with Governor Pence of Indiana and Governor Bevin of Kentucky to secure funding to re-start environmental studies that will eventually determine where the bridge and its approaches will be built.  Construction is still a long way off though.

http://www.tristatehomepage.com/news/local-news/winnecke-asks-for-impact-study-on-new-i-69-bridge
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

wdcrft63

Quote from: abqtraveler on February 10, 2016, 12:24:57 PM
Looks like there may be some movement by Indiana and Kentucky on restarting efforts to build the I-69 bridge over the Ohio River.  Discussion is ongoing with Governor Pence of Indiana and Governor Bevin of Kentucky to secure funding to re-start environmental studies that will eventually determine where the bridge and its approaches will be built.  Construction is still a long way off though.

http://www.tristatehomepage.com/news/local-news/winnecke-asks-for-impact-study-on-new-i-69-bridge
We can see a time not too far off when I-69 will be complete in both Indiana and Kentucky, except for the bridge. Obvious gaps have a way of attracting attention!

Pete from Boston

The one comment on that article cracks me up.  It urges Winnecke and Indiana to abandon the whole thing to Kentucky, saying "As far as Hoosiers are concerned, I-69 ends at the I-69/41 interchange."  Nice to speak for the whole state. 

The bridge will indeed be entirely within Kentucky, since sediment accretion on the inside of the river bend has shifted the river well south of where it was when the border was drawn, but not in a million years could I see that leading to Kentucky taking full ownership of the bridge cost (nor Indiana expecting it to).

abqtraveler

Quote from: wdcrft63 on February 10, 2016, 05:19:18 PM

We can see a time not too far off when I-69 will be complete in both Indiana and Kentucky, except for the bridge. Obvious gaps have a way of attracting attention!

What's changed now is that with I-69 connected to SR-37 (and Indianapolis/I-69N) in Indiana and the Parkways being signed as I-69 in Kentucky, has introduced a forcing function to get the Ohio River Bridge done.  That forcing function of course being all of the traffic that is (or soon will be) generated by the completed sections of the route that will have no other option but to use the outdated US-41 bridges over the river. 
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

vdeane

Quote from: Pete from Boston on February 10, 2016, 06:02:52 PM
The bridge will indeed be entirely within Kentucky, since sediment accretion on the inside of the river bend has shifted the river well south of where it was when the border was drawn, but not in a million years could I see that leading to Kentucky taking full ownership of the bridge cost (nor Indiana expecting it to).
Isn't the preferred alternative to build new bridges far enough east of the existing US 41 bridges that the border would be back on the north shore of the river?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: vdeane on February 10, 2016, 09:06:08 PM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on February 10, 2016, 06:02:52 PM
Isn't the preferred alternative to build new bridges far enough east of the existing US 41 bridges that the border would be back on the north shore of the river?

The diagrams posted in this thread show the crossing to be about at this location, so, no, not quite.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.