Halifax Harbour Bridges

Started by ghYHZ, October 20, 2020, 07:00:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghYHZ

Back in 1955 the Angus L MacDonald Bridge opened across Halifax Harbour to Dartmouth:

https://www.hdbc.ca/

By the early 1960s.....a second bridge crossing was needed and a study prepared on possible locations.

Below is the option they went with and it eventually became the A Murray MacKay Bridge......opening in 1969:

Another option was a 'Twined' MacDonald.....

Or: Cogswell/Cornwallis St to Portland St.......

And: Robie/Oakland Rd - Georges Island — Woodside (a Double Suspension).....

1995hoo

Was the MacDonald Bridge designed by the same person who designed the Lion's Gate Bridge? The resemblance is quite striking. Can't believe I didn't notice that the last time I was in Halifax.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

ghYHZ

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 20, 2020, 07:32:03 AM
Was the MacDonald Bridge designed by the same person who designed the Lion's Gate Bridge? The resemblance is quite striking. Can't believe I didn't notice that the last time I was in Halifax.

Did a little research and the Lions Gate designer was Charles Monsarrat......he was also a partner in the Philip Pratley firm that designed the MacDonald and did the 1963 Study.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.