Bridges that were designed to carry no traffic

Started by kphoger, July 13, 2021, 03:46:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CoreySamson

Quote from: tolbs17 on December 22, 2021, 07:48:52 PM
There is a bridge at that crossing. It goes over a creek.
But that bridge was initially designed for traffic, therefore it doesn't qualify for this thread. If not, then any abandoned bridge could qualify.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

MCRoads

I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

tolbs17

Quote from: CoreySamson on December 22, 2021, 07:53:02 PM
But that bridge was initially designed for traffic, therefore it doesn't qualify for this thread. If not, then any abandoned bridge could qualify.
Alright, the Bridge Tar River Trail qualifies.

jakeroot

Quote from: tolbs17 on December 24, 2021, 07:46:50 PM
Quote from: CoreySamson on December 22, 2021, 07:53:02 PM
Alright, the Bridge Tar River Trail qualifies.

That one carries pedestrian traffic. This thread is about bridges that carry non-mammal "things" (like barrels (above) or water).

ErmineNotyours

Irrigation canal over I-82 in Kennewick, WA.  Presumably the canal was there before the freeway.

https://goo.gl/maps/pnd3vAwwusLxWNLq7

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

catch22

Bitmapped

Smith Dairy has a pipeline structure that carries ice cream mix between its milk and ice cream plants in Orrvillle, Ohio. It crosses over the intersection of Vine Street and Church Street, and even has a mount for a 4-way beacon attached to the side although I've never seen a signal mounted off it.

GMSV: https://goo.gl/maps/6X5jGGvRBUYzm4KV7

skluth

MCRoads

Quote from: skluth on December 29, 2021, 05:06:47 PM
There's this pipeline suspension bridge over the Mississippi
Many log flumes are bridges
It's not really traffic if it's animals, is it?

That log flume comment actually reminds something. Erie, PA has a roller coaster that crosses a road! This might be in a weird category of technically having traffic, but the traffic is a roller coaster, so I'll put it here in case anyone finds it interesting.
https://goo.gl/maps/kRQwhAc2mLrdN9Hd9
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

bwana39

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on July 13, 2021, 05:35:44 PM
Makes me think of this or this.

The messed up one doesn't have a bridge as best I can tell. It is, however less than two miles from my house.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

Viridiscalculus

The Union Arch Bridge in Cabin John, Maryland, was originally designed only for Washington Aqueduct. However, vehicle traffic started using the bridge soon after it was completed in 1864.

Big John

Quote from: bwana39 on June 25, 2023, 10:30:30 PM
Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on July 13, 2021, 05:35:44 PM
Makes me think of this or this.
It shows a location 1/2 mile from me.
The messed up one doesn't have a bridge as best I can tell. It is, however less than two miles from my house.

Chris19001

fhmiii

I have no idea what the genesis of this bridge is, but adjacent to Holmes Street over I-670 in Kansas City is a bridge structure.  I can't find anything about it.  My guess is maybe some utility lines cross here?  Or perhaps it was designed as a pedestrian bridge but then never used?

https://goo.gl/maps/4jr1ugYafxCHzGeK7

There are actually several such structures across I-670, so my best guess is utility lines.

catch22

Quote from: fhmiii on July 11, 2023, 11:53:51 AM
I have no idea what the genesis of this bridge is, but adjacent to Holmes Street over I-670 in Kansas City is a bridge structure.  I can't find anything about it.  My guess is maybe some utility lines cross here?  Or perhaps it was designed as a pedestrian bridge but then never used?

https://goo.gl/maps/4jr1ugYafxCHzGeK7

There are actually several such structures across I-670, so my best guess is utility lines.

Retired AT&T Communications ("Long Lines") guy here.

This is just a guess, but on the north side of I-670 one block west of here lies a large building at 1425 Oak Street.  This is AT&T's long distance switching center for Kansas City (and other telecom providers too, since the Bell System breakup).  Since the freeway passes so close to the building, this bridge could easily be the rerouted cable conduit path from the building to points south.

bulldog1979

On M-35 south of Palmer, Michigan, there is a pipeline to carry tailings from the Empire Mine out to the tailings basins. This structure carries the pipeline over the highway.

In the city of Marquette, the coal unloader crosses over Lake Shore Boulevard south of the LS&I Ore Dock in the Upper Harbor, carrying the conveyors to move the coal from freighters to the site of the now-former Presque Isle Power Plant.

edwaleni

Fall Creek Aqueduct.  5 of them have been built over the years (photos from Indiana History and Class900indy.com)

It was originally designed to carry canal packet boats in 1835 (so in a sense it did carry "traffic").

But later was repurposed to provide water to downtown Indianapolis.

The wooden arch based original completed in 1837.

Then when it collapsed, it was rebuilt with an Howe truss system in 1882,

again in 1902 and 1904 where it was washed away.

When finally in 1904 a masonry arch bridge was built and is still there today.

D-Dey65

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.