News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Most common sign error per state

Started by Alps, January 29, 2018, 11:36:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

This thread, particularly starting around Reply #19, has some discussion of the way NY always posts route shields with no directional banner.

So, there's that, to the extent you consider that an error. I think it's an error, even if NYSDOT doesn't  :pan:

PHLBOS

Quote from: SectorZ on January 30, 2018, 04:20:00 PM
MA: Poor signage in cities for state routes, demotion of US routes to state routes (and I-190 to US 190 in Leominster), piss-poor thought in much of the little green signs especially in cities.
True.  MA 129 was rerouted through Downtown Lynn nearly 22 years ago but the signage between MA 1A (Broad St.) and MA 129A (Lynnfield St. at Wyoma Square) is either very sparse or flat-out non-existent.

Another common signage error/issue in the Bay State: inconsistent listings of control cities.  It's almost as if the signage/sign replacement contracts are made with little regard to the existing signage beyond the limit-of-work area.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

csw

Quote from: webny99 on January 31, 2018, 01:58:55 PM
This thread, particularly starting around Reply #19, has some discussion of the way NY always posts route shields with no directional banner.

So, there's that, to the extent you consider that an error. I think it's an error, even if NYSDOT doesn't  :pan:

Route shields with no directional banner are all over Southern Illinois.

IL-1 in Hardin County:

They don't put the banners on at intersections, either. Olney, IL:

cjk374

Lack of directional banners is very common in Louisiana, especially on the 4 digit & hyphenated routes. Lack of distance & control point directional signs on state and some US routes is also a problem here.

It also seems that the black applied to black & white signs either peels or fades fast.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

DTComposer

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 30, 2018, 12:32:52 AM
California has a ton of issues flat out not signing state routes.

I'd second this, particularly the legislative requirements that cities/counties continue to sign along relinquished sections of routes.

Other than that, my biggest gripe (especially since California is doing a lot of resigning to add exit numbers/change to reflective green/remove button copy) is the lack of anything regarding layout skills. Not an error per se, but there is no consistency to font size, use of caps vs. small caps vs. mixed case, line spacing, justification, size of shields - hundreds of signs now look like they were designed by a middle-schooler. There are multiple people on this forum who could put Caltrans to shame with the simplicity and elegance of their designs - and likely do it for less money.

formulanone

Florida: Incorrect color for route directional arrows or banners.

Alabama: Legions of S0UTH directional tabs (that's a zero), scattered all over the state.

Tennessee: Is it a State Primary? Or a Secondary? Where's the consistency?

Scott5114

Quote from: J N Winkler on January 31, 2018, 01:54:54 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on January 31, 2018, 01:11:38 AMThat makes a lot of sense. I would have expected the KTA shield and the K-shield to have the same sunflower too, and probably wouldn't have even thought about counting the points to see if they differed...but I also spend much less time looking at Kansas sign sheets than you. :nod:

As it happens, I didn't pick up on the difference through studying signing sheets--I was taking out-of-the-car high-resolution photos long before plans became available online through KDOT.  And actually the SignCAD version of the Turnpike marker (or whatever it is that HNTB is using to fake it for Turnpike work) has 16 points.  From photos I had known for a long time that the Turnpike marker (or at least one version of it--see below) has 20 points, but it was Richie who spotted the 20 points on the K-96 guide sign shield.  This was a major find.

I've been roaming the Turnpike in StreetView and have reached the tentative conclusion that there are two separate versions of the Turnpike marker:  a 16-point marker that is used in contract work (e.g., the northbound pull-through sign at the Emporia interchange, which was installed under contract about ten years ago) and a 20-point marker that is used for in-house work.  Moreover, it appears that on the 16-point markers (both Turnpike and state route) the top petal points straight out, while on the 20-point markers (again, both Turnpike and state route) it hooks clockwise.

As it happens, I snagged a photo of the same shield around the same time, and blithely uploaded it to Wikimedia Commons with nary a thought as to the number of points of the sunflower! (Because the Kansas Turnpike is a featured article on Wikipedia, I ensure that it is supported by a large library of media, found at https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Kansas_Turnpike –as of a couple of years ago, it includes one instance of each exit direction sign.)

Quote from: route56 on January 31, 2018, 01:55:36 PM
I think this is the first time I've heard someone other than Chris "Sawblade5" Knight refer to the Kansas state highway marker in this manner  :spin:

Between the meat cleavers and the sawblades, the signage situation in the Great Plains is rather violent.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Ian

MaineDOT is generally good about installing correct signage. Occasionally, you'll find an incorrect directional banner or an upside-down signal ahead graphic sign, but that's rare. One of the most common "error's" I've come across traveling throughout the state are state-named interstate shields used on BGS's, though I'll take that small design error any day of the week...
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

US 89

Quote from: Ian on February 01, 2018, 12:45:44 PM
One of the most common "error's" I've come across traveling throughout the state are state-named interstate shields used on BGS's, though I'll take that small design error any day of the week...

Is that even an error? All of Utah's new interstate shields are state named, no matter where they are installed.

roadman65

Virginia's big error is to let cities take care of all non freeway routes causing the lack of proper shielding on all numbered state and US highways.  Hence VA Beach with both US 58 and 60 being so poorly signed there.

Oh wait.....Got something better!  US 1 Alternate in Fredericksburg which was decommissioned over 40 years ago still signed on an overhead.  Then US 1 Business still shielded (if there are any left lol) as mainline US 1 as it was when US 1 ALT was in existence.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

mrcmc888

Quote from: formulanone on January 31, 2018, 07:58:44 PM
Florida: Incorrect color for route directional arrows or banners.

Alabama: Legions of S0UTH directional tabs (that's a zero), scattered all over the state.

Tennessee: Is it a State Primary? Or a Secondary? Where's the consistency?

Tennessee also refuses to sign US/state route concurrencies with interstates, except for occasional random instances.

The main issue with the primary/secondary routes is not the idea but that there seems to be little rhyme or reason to whether a state route is one or the other.  It's not the length or the number: TN-162 is a primary even though it only travels from Knoxville to Maryville.  Neither is it the traffic: TN-332 is a secondary for its entire existence despite being a 4-lane arterial for much of it as well.  Routes can even change status like TN-62 does, which randomly gets demoted to secondary upon entering Knoxville, despite carrying an insane amount of traffic.

hbelkins

Quote from: mrcmc888 on February 03, 2018, 04:23:24 PM

Tennessee also refuses to sign US/state route concurrencies with interstates, except for occasional random instances.

This is true for I-24 across Monteagle Mountain (I know it carries one of the routes, but not sure if it's 41 or 64) and for US 74, which seems to disappear once it reaches I-75, but for the most part I've found Tennessee to be pretty good about signing concurrencies with interstates.

I-75's concurrencies with US 25W and TN 63 in the Caryville area well signed, as are I-26's concurrencies with US 23 and US 19W.

Tennessee does lack in signing state route concurrencies with US routes, and with primary/secondary state concurrencies.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

mrcmc888

Quote from: hbelkins on February 03, 2018, 04:50:54 PM
Quote from: mrcmc888 on February 03, 2018, 04:23:24 PM

This is true for I-24 across Monteagle Mountain (I know it carries one of the routes, but not sure if it's 41 or 64) and for US 74, which seems to disappear once it reaches I-75, but for the most part I've found Tennessee to be pretty good about signing concurrencies with interstates.

I-75's concurrencies with US 25W and TN 63 in the Caryville area well signed, as are I-26's concurrencies with US 23 and US 19W.

Tennessee does lack in signing state route concurrencies with US routes, and with primary/secondary state concurrencies.

Maybe it's just my area?  US 25W's 6-mile concurrency with I-640 in Knoxville isn't signed at all in the eastbound direction.  SR 58 also is concurrent with I-40 near Kingston, and that is also unsigned.

I-75 for a 5 mile stretch near Chattanooga carries US-11, 64, and 74 (as you noted), and if not for noticing the exits with 11 and 64 entering then exiting the interstate, you'd never know.

It's very contrasting with North Carolina and Virginia which will always sign US/state route concurrencies with interstates.

I assume the reason the I-26/US 23 concurrency is so well signed is because US 23 was already an expressway before I-26 was routed onto it.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.