News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Market share of DMS manufacturers in the United States

Started by Pink Jazz, April 10, 2018, 12:29:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pink Jazz

I was wondering, does anyone have any data on the market share of DMS manufacturers in the United States?

I am pretty sure Daktronics is #1 (from what I heard they have about 70% market share), probably followed by Skyline at #2.  Other manufacturers I as far as I know include Adaptive Displays, SES America, Ledstar, among others.

myosh_tino

Caltrans exclusively uses McCain Model 500/510 Changeable Message Signs (CMS) on all state-maintained highways.  McCain also produces an Advanced Variable Message Sign (AVMS) Model 710 for Caltrans which appears to be an updated version of the Model 500 CMS.  Caltrans was supposed to have some of these installed on I-80 over the Sierra Nevadas.  I'm not sure if that has happened yet or not.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

roadman

You forgot ADDCO - they were out of the picture for awhile, but have since reorganized.  MassDOT is mostly a mixture of Daktronics and ADDCO boards, with a handful of Skyline boards on I-93 between Somerville and Methuen.  There's also a project underway to retrofit the 1990s and early 2000s era Sylvia and Mark IV fiber optic flip disk boards in the Greater Boston area to LED panels - SES America will be doing the retrofits, and Liddell Brothers will be doing the re-installations.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Pink Jazz

Quote from: roadman on April 10, 2018, 10:13:35 AM
You forgot ADDCO - they were out of the picture for awhile, but have since reorganized.  MassDOT is mostly a mixture of Daktronics and ADDCO boards, with a handful of Skyline boards on I-93 between Somerville and Methuen.  There's also a project underway to retrofit the 1990s and early 2000s era Sylvia and Mark IV fiber optic flip disk boards in the Greater Boston area to LED panels - SES America will be doing the retrofits, and Liddell Brothers will be doing the re-installations.

Oh yes, I forgot about them.  Some of NMDOT's oldest DMS (the small permanent roadside models) are made by them; when they switched to the larger models they initially went to Skyline and are now with Adaptive.

It would be interesting to see how each manufacturer ranks in market share.  I am pretty sure Daktronics is #1 and probably Skyline is #2.

ADOT has changed hands over the years.  Initially they were with Sylvia from the mid-1990s to about 2007, then with Daktronics from around 2007 to 2012, then Skyline from around 2012 to 2017, and now once again with Daktronics as of 2017.  ADOT has retrofitted many of the Sylvia boards with SES America's LED retrofit kit.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.