News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

2012 Supplement to 2004 SHSM Book Published

Started by Dr Frankenstein, March 19, 2012, 11:30:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Frankenstein

After three years of waiting, the official layout sheets for the signs in the 2009 MUTCD were published early this month.

http://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/ser-shs_millennium.htm

The metric book also disappeared from the FHWA's website. A shame, because I was using the metric specs to make my illustrations (1 pixel = 1 mm, and 1 pixel = 1 cm for BGSes).
I think I'll start a project to make an unofficial metric version of the supplement book. I still have a copy of the metric 2004 book on my computer, too.

Alps

I note that the text "2012 SUPPLEMENT" is in Series E.

Scott5114

The Wikipedia guys noticed something interesting: a minor change to the standard county route marker. Now the yellow border runs directly along the edge of the sign, rather than being inset slightly. Presumably the change was made to make CR shields stand out better on BGSes.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Alps

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 22, 2012, 11:58:25 PM
The Wikipedia guys noticed something interesting: a minor change to the standard county route marker. Now the yellow border runs directly along the edge of the sign, rather than being inset slightly. Presumably the change was made to make CR shields stand out better on BGSes.
Actually, if you look at every other dark-background sign, the light border extends to the edge of the sign. So this is for consistency with every other case. (The idea is so that the border doesn't blend into nighttime.) I occasionally forget about this too.

mjb2002

Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on March 19, 2012, 11:30:09 PM
After three years of waiting, the official layout sheets for the signs in the 2009 MUTCD were published early this month.

http://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/ser-shs_millennium.htm

The metric book also disappeared from the FHWA's website. A shame, because I was using the metric specs to make my illustrations (1 pixel = 1 mm, and 1 pixel = 1 cm for BGSes).
I think I'll start a project to make an unofficial metric version of the supplement book. I still have a copy of the metric 2004 book on my computer, too.

I got parts of both the 2012 supplement and the 2004 original.

I got the 2012 supplement solely for Street Name signs. I got the 2004 original SHSM for everything else.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.