News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Stop signs --with yellow downward angled arrow

Started by txstateends, June 11, 2012, 03:51:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

txstateends

Anyone see this before??

This is at a park & ride light rail station in Dallas.  I saw these this morning after getting off the train to one of my bus connections.  It's really strange, and I couldn't let this pass without a snap or 2.  Sorry about the one next to the bus driver, it didn't come out as well as the one to the left.  Anyway, these are on both sides of the bus driveway and boarding area for each bus serving the station.  I should have gotten the full sidewalk effect also, because this is a crosswalk with ramps at each side.  There are 3 sets of these; the other 2 are behind where my bus was waiting/parked.  I know when this station opened, and the others along this new line, that all the crosswalks were single-ped yellow diamonds, with the angled downward arrows below.  This change must have just been made recently.  I guess DART is really concerned about bus treatment of pedestrians in a crosswalk now, compared to before.  Couldn't a stop sign be added above or beside the single-ped yellow diamond, without removing the diamond?

I'm not sure if any other stations here have the stop/arrow like this, or something else...like just a stop sign by itself.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

Scott5114

I am fairly sure the MUTCD prohibits stop signs from being displayed concurrently with any other sign on the same pole (excepting of course street name signs or one way signs at the top of the pole). It is against the MUTCD, for example, to put a speed limit sign on the same pole beneath a stop sign.

This treatment is rather confusing to me. Rather than thinking of it as something involving pedestrians, I assumed the arrow was supposed to be highlighting the stop line (like one of those STOP HERE ON RED LIGHT signs you sometimes encounter, or the California FREEWAY ENTRANCE assemblies).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

DaBigE

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 12, 2012, 12:13:44 AM
I am fairly sure the MUTCD prohibits stop signs from being displayed concurrently with any other sign on the same pole (excepting of course street name signs or one way signs at the top of the pole). It is against the MUTCD, for example, to put a speed limit sign on the same pole beneath a stop sign.

Close, but there are a few others that are allowed:
Quote from: 2009 MUTCD §2B.05, ¶ 06-09
06 Supplemental plaques with legends such as 2-WAY, 3-WAY, 4-WAY, or other numbers of ways shall not
be used with STOP signs.
Support:
07 The use of the CROSS TRAFFIC DOES NOT STOP (W4-4P) plaque (and other plaques with variations of
this word message) is described in Section 2C.59.
Guidance:
08 Plaques with the appropriate alternative messages of TRAFFIC FROM LEFT (RIGHT) DOES NOT STOP
(W4-4aP) or ONCOMING TRAFFIC DOES NOT STOP (W4-4bP) should be used at intersections where
STOP signs control all but one approach to the intersection, unless the only non-stopped approach is from a
one-way street.
Option:
09 An EXCEPT RIGHT TURN (R1-10P) plaque (see Figure 2B-1) may be mounted below the STOP sign if an
engineering study determines that a special combination of geometry and traffic volumes is present that makes it
possible for right-turning traffic on the approach to be permitted to enter the intersection without stopping.

§2B.18 Also allows for turn prohibition signs to be mounted as well
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

hbelkins

Quote from: DaBigE on June 12, 2012, 12:23:11 AM
06 Supplemental plaques with legends such as 2-WAY, 3-WAY, 4-WAY, or other numbers of ways shall not
be used with STOP signs.

OK, then, how are you supposed to tell drivers that it is a four-way stop if you can't sign it?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

NE2

Quote from: hbelkins on June 13, 2012, 10:12:18 PM
Quote from: DaBigE on June 12, 2012, 12:23:11 AM
be used with STOP signs.

OK, then, how are you supposed to tell drivers that it is a four-way stop if you can't sign it?

ALL-WAY. 4-WAY could be installed at a five-way intersection, causing problems for unfamiliar drivers.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

US71

I saw a couple in Memphis during the road meet, except they had a white arrow on a red background.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

HighwayMaster

Quote from: US71 on June 22, 2012, 09:08:31 AM
I saw a couple in Memphis during the road meet, except they had a white arrow on a red background.

That would make more sense. Probably the only arrows you'll ever see on a red background, I bet.
Life is too short not to have Tim Hortons donuts.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.