News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

"LEFT/RIGHT TURN LANE" written on the pavement

Started by blawp, June 27, 2012, 10:25:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blawp

I see this a lot in the San Gabriel Valley where on the pavement, in the lane, it is written:

LANE

TURN

LEFT (or RIGHT)

Does any place else do this? Most areas use symbols now. I wonder what the standard is for using words vs symbols.

bulkyorled

If the lane is long enough that its needed Burbank will do it. There's one on Glenoaks turning left onto west bound Alameda. Its rather new though. I know there's another somewhere but I can't recall what street it is. Perhaps Victory turning left onto east bound Alameda, where most traffic will turn left and there are 2 left turn lanes. You kind of have to swerve right if youre going forward since its a bit of a surprise lane.
Your local illuminated sign enthusiast

Signs Im looking for: CA only; 1, 2, 14, 118, 134, 170, 210 (CA), and any california city illuminated sign.

roadfro

I've never seen this before. Nevada tends to use arrows (or arrows alternating with "ONLY" legend).
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

blawp

Here's a Google 45 degree satellite image view of what I am talking about.

http://goo.gl/maps/45WY

DaBigE

The words still exist in WisDOT's CADD cells, but I have yet to see a current standard detail drawing that uses them. I've never seen them used in any of my travels either.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

roadfro

Quote from: blawp on June 28, 2012, 01:16:31 AM
Here's a Google 45 degree satellite image view of what I am talking about.

http://goo.gl/maps/45WY

Yeah, not sure why words would be used here instead of arrows on pavement. The arrow pretty much means "left turn lane", so that is much more succinct than two or three words spelling it out.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.