News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Least useful road signs? (MUTCD... but can include other countries' signs)

Started by colinstu, July 01, 2012, 11:49:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

empirestate

Quote from: Brandon on July 02, 2012, 07:32:38 PM
Another candidate is that European-system "!" sign.  WTF does that mean!?!  Name the hazard or show it in a pictogram, folks.

I actually use that symbol often in musical scores, to alert me of some upcoming "hazard", such as a chord I always screw up, or some quick cue that comes directly after a wicked page turn. I find that no more specificity is needed; just seeing the symbol reminds me what the hazard is and to keep my senses sharp.

Not saying that necessarily works as a road sign application, but on the other hand I'd wager there are a lot of similarities to how musicians and motorists process the symbolic information they encounter constantly.

Scott5114

Quote from: empirestate on July 05, 2012, 11:15:57 PM
Quote from: Brandon on July 02, 2012, 07:32:38 PM
Another candidate is that European-system "!" sign.  WTF does that mean!?!  Name the hazard or show it in a pictogram, folks.

I actually use that symbol often in musical scores, to alert me of some upcoming "hazard", such as a chord I always screw up, or some quick cue that comes directly after a wicked page turn. I find that no more specificity is needed; just seeing the symbol reminds me what the hazard is and to keep my senses sharp.

Not saying that necessarily works as a road sign application, but on the other hand I'd wager there are a lot of similarities to how musicians and motorists process the symbolic information they encounter constantly.

I always used to just circle the offending notes, and if that wasn't good enough, write the slide position numbers beneath (I played trombone) so that if I did begin to screw up, I could "cheat" and use the numbers to ride out the difficult part.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

realjd

Quote from: colinstu on July 01, 2012, 11:49:52 PM
"Keep Right" sign. Used typically on large roads that have a median(s) at intersections. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:MUTCD_R4-7.svg ...this related sign too http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:MUTCD_W6-1.svg
I think it's fairly obvious of which side of the median to be on. Wrong way + Do Not enter signs are used in places where such a mishap can happen.

They're particularly useful when the median is hard to see. When making left turns at an intersection, they're excellent visual cues as to where to turn your car, particularly at night.

kphoger

Quote from: realjd on July 06, 2012, 08:42:23 AM
"Keep Right" sign. Used typically on large roads that have a median(s) at intersections. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:MUTCD_R4-7.svg ...this related sign too http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:MUTCD_W6-1.svg
I think it's fairly obvious of which side of the median to be on. Wrong way + Do Not enter signs are used in places where such a mishap can happen.

They're particularly useful when the median is hard to see. When making left turns at an intersection, they're excellent visual cues as to where to turn your car, particularly at night.

Or when eight inches of snow fell but the snow plow hasn't come by yet.  I've actually gone down the wrong side of the roadway due to snow before; a sign would have been greatly appreciated.

Quote from: national highway 1 on July 05, 2012, 08:24:45 PM
Quote from: Eth on July 05, 2012, 07:14:35 PM
What I'd love to know is why a gravel road would have a 100 km/h speed limit!
That's what I wanted to know, hence why I posted this pic!

I've gone 100 km/h on gravel plenty of times in places like western Kansas.  If there has been rain recently, and/or if there are curves, it's too fast.  But under normal conditions, it's perfectly doable.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

flowmotion

CHECK HEADLIGHTS after a tunnel or a "daylight safety zone". Would it really matter if people left their headlights on?

empirestate

Quote from: flowmotion on July 07, 2012, 02:29:40 AM
CHECK HEADLIGHTS after a tunnel or a "daylight safety zone". Would it really matter if people left their headlights on?

Well, it used to be a pretty silly idea to run one's headlights during the daytime, like leaving your TV on when you left the house, so it was a nice reminder to switch them off once they weren't needed. Now, of course, the sign is often useless because one has no choice but to burn the headlights on many modern cars!

1995hoo

I've always used headlights on two-lane roads where people pass over the center line (none of our cars have DRLs). I've found over the years that it's far easier to see an oncoming vehicle with lights on, especially in hot weather when you get that shimmering mirage effect.

But having it after every tunnel seems unnecessary to me. Plus I think drivers ought to be responsible and we don't need signs for every last thing. I mean, at the rate this country is going, soon public toilets will have signs saying "Remember to wipe after defecating."
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Kacie Jane

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 07, 2012, 06:05:29 PM
But having it after every tunnel seems unnecessary to me. Plus I think drivers ought to be responsible and we don't need signs for every last thing. I mean, at the rate this country is going, soon public toilets will have signs saying "Remember to wipe after defecating."

We're practically there already, and have been for a while.  "Employees must wash hands."  Really?  Only employees?

Takumi

Quote from: Kacie Jane on July 07, 2012, 11:36:54 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on July 07, 2012, 06:05:29 PM

We're practically there already, and have been for a while.  "Employees must wash hands."  Really?  Only employees?

Caution: coffee is hot.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

flowmotion

Quote from: empirestate on July 07, 2012, 04:40:49 PM
Well, it used to be a pretty silly idea to run one's headlights during the daytime, like leaving your TV on when you left the house, so it was a nice reminder to switch them off once they weren't needed. Now, of course, the sign is often useless because one has no choice but to burn the headlights on many modern cars!

When those signs went up, people were buying the biggest and cheapest low-tolerance low-tech iron lumps that could fit between their fenders. So I have to be skeptical about the energy efficiency rationale.

I'm guessing the "Check Headlights" signs were more about people draining their battery after parking. Only luxury cars like Cadillacs were sophisticated enough to automatically turn off the lights in those days.

roadfro

^ except that the "check headlights" sign was/is often placed on a roadway after exiting a tunnel or leaving a daytime headlight section, not around parking lots...
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Central Avenue

Quote from: roadfro on July 09, 2012, 04:05:44 AM
^ except that the "check headlights" sign was/is often placed on a roadway after exiting a tunnel or leaving a daytime headlight section, not around parking lots...

Well, if you forgot to turn off your headlights after a tunnel or daytime headlight zone, it would be pretty easy to run all the way to your destination with them on and forget to turn them off there, too...

Granted, I'm just guessing.
Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

codyg1985

Mississippi has a "Trucks Turning" sign with a placard under it saying "Watch for Long Logs"

Alabama has a "WATCH FOR WATER ON ROADWAY" sign that is used in lieu of the Slippery When Wet sign. The Slippery When Wet sign is used in Alabama too, but the WATCH FOR WATER ON ROADWAY is only used in ALDOT's Second Division (NW Alabama), that I know of. I don't see the point of having this sign since you would be looking for water on the road if it's raining.

Quote from: realjd on July 06, 2012, 08:42:23 AM

Seconded. I have ran into a curb in a median before at night because I couldn't see it and there was no Keep Right sign.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

hbelkins

Kentucky uses a text "Water Possible On Road" warning sign. I presume this is meant to warn of ponding water and is separate from the graphic "Slippery When Wet" sign. There's also a text "High Water Possible" sign that's permanently posted in areas that are prone to flooding.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

agentsteel53

Quote from: kphoger on July 06, 2012, 01:53:14 PM

I've gone 100 km/h on gravel plenty of times in places like western Kansas.  If there has been rain recently, and/or if there are curves, it's too fast.  But under normal conditions, it's perfectly doable.

indeed, a lot of Kansas sectional roads are dead straight with great visibility, and about 55-60mph feels very safe.  I once took a Prius up to 102mph on an old US-81 alignment that was a very good dirt road!
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

DaBigE

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 09, 2012, 12:23:27 PM
I once took a Prius up to 102mph on an old US-81 alignment that was a very good dirt road!

A Prius?!? :wow: Did that thing have nitrous in it? I didn't think those could do above 60...(or maybe that's just the Prius owner's I experience around here :banghead:).
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

mgk920

I'll second the uselessness of the USA's current 'KEEP RIGHT/LEFT' sign.  Instead, I'd use the European standard sign (a blue disk with a 3/4 downpointing arrow mounted low - 'DRIVE ON THIS SIDE OF THE SIGN'), or its yellow with black arrow 'diamond' USA equivalent.

Also, I'd like to see the European warning sign graphic images for 'watch for congested traffic' and 'watch for high winds' adopted here in the USA.

Mike

agentsteel53

Quote from: DaBigE on July 09, 2012, 01:56:56 PM

A Prius?!? :wow: Did that thing have nitrous in it? I didn't think those could do above 60...(or maybe that's just the Prius owner's I experience around here :banghead:).

102 is its top speed, as determined empirically on several occasions.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Compulov

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 09, 2012, 02:02:58 PM
102 is its top speed, as determined empirically on several occasions.

Is it really, or is it just a governor? Governors can be bypassed...

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: mgk920 on July 09, 2012, 01:59:36 PM
I'll second the uselessness of the USA's current 'KEEP RIGHT/LEFT' sign.  Instead, I'd use the European standard sign (a blue disk with a 3/4 downpointing arrow mounted low - 'DRIVE ON THIS SIDE OF THE SIGN'), or its yellow with black arrow 'diamond' USA equivalent.

I do believe Steve (Alps) mentioned to me at one point that there used to be a European sign like this in Boston, at the eastern end of Comm Ave.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

national highway 1

Quote from: mgk920 on July 09, 2012, 01:59:36 PM

Also, I'd like to see the European warning sign graphic images for 'watch for congested traffic' and 'watch for high winds' adopted here in the USA.

Mike
In Australia we have this sign reminding European and North American tourists to drive on the left:
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.