News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Reduce Speed or Speed Zone?

Started by roadman65, July 07, 2012, 10:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I noticed that in GA and AL the signs for speed limit reductions seem to say "SPEED ZONE AHEAD" instead of the more popular
"REDUCED SPEED AHEAD" as you normally see.  However, Georgia does use the latter when the maximum speed drops from 65 to 55, I am to assume because the changeover to the 65 mph was done recently( or I should say 15 years ago).

I am guessing that there are other states that use the speed zone signs instead of the reduced signs as well.  Now, I have seen in parts of FL and in NYS, a new yellow warning diamond sign with a picture of a small speed limit sign with the new limit on it.

What do many of you think is the better way to address change to lower limits?  I find the yellow signs to be best on highways, but REDUCED SPEED is best on local roads and in urban areas where there are no such signs at all except the new lower speed limit is posted that you then have to brake.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

vdeane

The yellow ones.  It's kinda impossible to prepare for a lower limit if you don't know what the lower limit will be.  As far as I'm concerned, if you have to brake for a lower limit, you're not driving properly, but that's because I drive a stick shift; automatics don't have that ability.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Takumi

Quote from: deanej on July 07, 2012, 11:39:18 AM
The yellow ones.  It's kinda impossible to prepare for a lower limit if you don't know what the lower limit will be.  As far as I'm concerned, if you have to brake for a lower limit, you're not driving properly, but that's because I drive a stick shift; automatics don't have that ability.

Agree that the diamonds are better due to being more informative. Heck, in my town, there's a speed limit sign that says "REDUCED SPEED" where "speed limit" normally is above the limit (30), with no advance signage.

On your last point, my car, at least, has the ability to engine brake like a manual transmission.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Scott5114

OK formerly used SPEED ZONE AHEAD, but that is being phased out in favor of the 2003 MUTCD diamonds.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

blawp

I like the California way the most, "50 ZONE AHEAD" etc.

PurdueBill

Indiana used to use white signs that read "Reduced Speed XX Ahead" but has been changing to the diamonds.  Most of the white signs like these on US 24 near Huntington have been changed to diamonds, but it's common in my travels in Indiana to see where one side has the old sign and across from it there is a new one.

Brandon

Quote from: PurdueBill on July 07, 2012, 03:51:11 PM
Indiana used to use white signs that read "Reduced Speed XX Ahead" but has been changing to the diamonds.  Most of the white signs like these on US 24 near Huntington have been changed to diamonds, but it's common in my travels in Indiana to see where one side has the old sign and across from it there is a new one.

I liked this method.  Michigan tended to be the biggest user of this style of signage.  The diamonds have signs that are just too damn small, IMHO.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

The High Plains Traveler

I like the W3-5, the "MUTCD Diamond" with the speed limit sign. I absolutely do not like the W3-5a alternative, all text with "xx MPH SPEED ZONE AHEAD". It might work better if it had larger numbers, but I think the real problem with it is that I am programmed to look for a speed limit on a white regulatory sign. Having the sign superimposed on a warning sign works fine, but all text is hard to absorb as you fly by.

Arizona uses the diamond with text "SPEED REDUCED AHEAD". This appears to be a recent modification to their sign standards, probably coincident with the W3-5 adoption.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

US71

Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on July 07, 2012, 04:16:36 PM
I like the W3-5, the "MUTCD Diamond" with the speed limit sign. I absolutely do not like the W3-5a alternative, all text with "xx MPH SPEED ZONE AHEAD". It might work better if it had larger numbers, but I think the real problem with it is that I am programmed to look for a speed limit on a white regulatory sign. Having the sign superimposed on a warning sign works fine, but all text is hard to absorb as you fly by.

Arizona uses the diamond with text "SPEED REDUCED AHEAD". This appears to be a recent modification to their sign standards, probably coincident with the W3-5 adoption.

Arkansas sometimes uses "REDUCED SPEED AHEAD" on a b/w rectangle, though not as much since they started using the new Diamond Speed Limit signs.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

roadfro

Nevada used to use the standard regulatory rectangle "REDUCED SPEED AHEAD" signs. This would be part of a speed reduction series on rural highways as they approach small towns (i.e. from a 70mph limit, you encounter this sign, then a series of 3-4 speed limit signs with progressively lower limits until you reach the town/city speed as you enter the town/city limits). Since the 2003 MUTCD was adopted, NDOT started using the W3-5a warning alternative "XX MPH SPEED ZONE AHEAD" in lieu of the rectangle version.

I agree with the MUTCD decision to switch the sign type, as the "Reduced speed" message is a warning as opposed to a regulation (the next speed limit sign establishes the actual regulation). I further agree with High Plains Traveler in that reading all that text on the 'all text' alternate sign is difficult to parse at 70+ mph.

Fortunately, I know that approaching a town I need to start slowing down when I see the yellow diamond regardless until I can actually read the reduced speed limit.

The alternative sign is also difficult to read when used in a construction zone on a freeway, which NDOT seems to specify for the 10mph speed reduction.  The standard graphical version would be much easier to parse at fast speed, as the very layout of the speed limit graphic is easily recognized without 'reading' it--when you factor in the speed limit graphic having a naturally larger number than the text equivalent, the recognition of the graphic version is clearly superior.

The only reason I can think of to not use the graphic warning version would be cost of having more than two colors on one sign. In the case of NDOT though, I think this is a moot point--I saw the new graphical "school bus stop ahead" sign earlier today on US 95, which also has three colors...
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

vdeane

Quote from: Takumi on July 07, 2012, 12:25:10 PM
Quote from: deanej on July 07, 2012, 11:39:18 AM

Agree that the diamonds are better due to being more informative. Heck, in my town, there's a speed limit sign that says "REDUCED SPEED" where "speed limit" normally is above the limit (30), with no advance signage.

On your last point, my car, at least, has the ability to engine brake like a manual transmission.
I wasn't even talking about down shifting so much as the fact that standards will lose 5mph of speed within a second of taking the foot off the gas while automatics will still be coasting at the same speed in that time.
Quote from: Brandon on July 07, 2012, 04:04:58 PM

I liked this method.  Michigan tended to be the biggest user of this style of signage.  The diamonds have signs that are just too damn small, IMHO.
They're small, but all you need is the number.  You're not meant to read the whole sign in the diamond, just recognize it by shape and read the number.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

1995hoo

As I've said in other threads, I object to "Reduced Speed Ahead," or similar wording like "Speed Reduced," because it's incorrect. It's the speed LIMIT that's reduced. Whether any individual driver reduces his speed is up to him.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Brandon

Quote from: deanej on July 08, 2012, 12:40:26 PM
Quote from: Brandon on July 07, 2012, 04:04:58 PM

They're small, but all you need is the number.  You're not meant to read the whole sign in the diamond, just recognize it by shape and read the number.

They're still very tiny compared to the former method.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

vdeane

I don't know about Illinois, but the former method in NY didn't have any reference to what the new speed limit would be at all.

BamaZeus

I never liked "Speed Zone Ahead" because it insinuates that you can go faster through that area.

roadman

Quote from: roadman65 on July 07, 2012, 10:23:16 AM
I noticed that in GA and AL the signs for speed limit reductions seem to say "SPEED ZONE AHEAD" instead of the more popular
"REDUCED SPEED AHEAD" as you normally see.  However, Georgia does use the latter when the maximum speed drops from 65 to 55, I am to assume because the changeover to the 65 mph was done recently( or I should say 15 years ago).

I am guessing that there are other states that use the speed zone signs instead of the reduced signs as well.  Now, I have seen in parts of FL and in NYS, a new yellow warning diamond sign with a picture of a small speed limit sign with the new limit on it.

What do many of you think is the better way to address change to lower limits?  I find the yellow signs to be best on highways, but REDUCED SPEED is best on local roads and in urban areas where there are no such signs at all except the new lower speed limit is posted that you then have to brake.

As I understand it (I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV), "Speed Zone Ahead" was normally used in states that relied principally on prima-facia speeds for most highways instead of posted limits created by regulation (as Massachusetts does).

Although the text should imply to even reasonably intelligent drivers that there is a speed reduction ahead, the legal meaning of the former regulatory (black on white) sign it that you are approaching a section of road with a regulated speed limit.  In other words, specifically stating "SPEED ZONE" in the sign legend is principally for enforcement purposes.

There is exactly one location on a Massachusetts interstate that still has "SPEED ZONE AHEAD" signs.  It's on I-95 northbound approaching the I-93 interchange in Canton.  The story goes that, because I-95 was supposed to continue north of Canton, the original speed regulations for that section of highway ended south of I-93 - the premise being that an additional regulation would be completed once the interchange was finished.  Although the I-95 alignment north of Canton was abandoned (at least for highway purposes) or never acquired in the early 1970s, they apparently never went back and amended the speed regulation to cover the road between the Norwood line and the I-93 interchange,

If I correctly recall current Massachusetts law, prima-facia speed on controlled-access highways is 50.  Of course, I've always wondered why the "rollover ramp" from I-95 north to I-95 north, which currently has an advisory limit of 25, was never posted as a regulatory limit instead.

As for the new advance speed limit signs, MassDOT has been quickly transitioning to the W3-5 (graphic) signs for permanent installations, but has been mostly using the W3-5a (text) signs in work zones.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Mapmikey

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 08, 2012, 02:53:06 PM
As I've said in other threads, I object to "Reduced Speed Ahead," or similar wording like "Speed Reduced," because it's incorrect. It's the speed LIMIT that's reduced. Whether any individual driver reduces his speed is up to him.

In North Carolina they say REDUCE SPEED AHEAD which makes it a command instead of stating the desired outcome.

South Carolina was also a SPEED ZONE AHEAD state for many years...

Mapmikey

1995hoo

Quote from: Mapmikey on July 09, 2012, 01:15:38 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on July 08, 2012, 02:53:06 PM

In North Carolina they say REDUCE SPEED AHEAD which makes it a command instead of stating the desired outcome.

Indeed they do, and they still have those (saw a couple on I-95 last weekend). I remember those signs well from my law school years in the mid-1990s. I remember my parents and brother visiting one time and my father, who does not normally find road signs interesting, even commented about the "Reduce Speed Ahead" sign making more sense than the "Reduced Speed Ahead" version.

I still prefer the newer yellow ones that tell you what the reduced limit will be. I think of those as "Canadian-inspired" because the first place I remember seeing that sort of sign was on a trip to Mont-Tremblant. I like that sort better than the text-based signs discussed in this thread because on a text-based sign I feel like I need to give it a second glance to confirm what the message is, whereas the yellow sign is more like a graphical notice (the words "SPEED LIMIT," or the word "MAXIMUM" in Canada, are essentially irrelevant after you've seen that type of sign one time).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Brandon

Quote from: deanej on July 09, 2012, 10:19:27 AM
I don't know about Illinois, but the former method in NY didn't have any reference to what the new speed limit would be at all.

Illinois and Wisconsin always used a sign (like on advisory signs) with the new speed limit under the "SPEED ZONE AHEAD" sign,

SPEED
ZONE
AHEAD
MPH

or,

REDUCED
SPEED
AHEAD
MPH

Michigan and to a lesser extent Indiana and Ohio used this style, all in one sign,

REDUCED
SPEED
AHEAD

kphoger

I like the Canadian ones....  :)
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

MASTERNC

I'm not a fan of the stretched numbers on the new diamond signs.  The only place where the dimensions are similar to real speed limit signs is on I-95 South near White Marsh, MD where the speed limit drops from 65 to 55.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.