Article: When a signal goes on too long

Started by txstateends, July 22, 2012, 09:23:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Well I've witnessed loops miss calls, so take that for what it's worth. Also, TTI is a lot more reasonable than you are about other technologies. In particular, you gloss over "well documented problems with inductive loops." Kinda sinks your feeble ship there, donnit?

tradephoric

Below is the listed weaknesses of inductive loops according to the FHWA Traffic Control Systems Handbook:

-Installation requires pavement cut.
-Improper installation decreases pavement life.
-Installation and maintenance require lane closure.
-Wire loops subject to stresses of traffic and temperature.
-Multiple detectors usually required to monitor a location.
-Detection accuracy may decrease when design requires detection of a large variety of vehicle classes.

It's clear when you read my posts that the accuracy of vehicle detection systems is of critical importance.  Video detection that outputs 50% false calls in transitional light conditions, prolonged cycles of zero counts, and missed calls in low-light conditions is unacceptable performance.  Based on the studies, TTI's findings, and personal experience video detection is not the most accurate.  I welcome differing points of view but they are most effective when they are backed by facts. 

Zmapper

Is it really that troublesome to have traffic signals that cycle every time, even if it is only for two seconds for the minor street? As a bicyclist, there are plenty of intersections that are "hit or miss" regarding detection.

Alps

Quote from: tradephoric on August 14, 2012, 11:24:40 PM
Below is the listed weaknesses of inductive loops according to the FHWA Traffic Control Systems Handbook:

-Detection accuracy may decrease when design requires detection of a large variety of vehicle classes.

It's clear when you read my posts that the accuracy of vehicle detection systems is of critical importance.  Video detection that outputs 50% false calls in transitional light conditions, prolonged cycles of zero counts, and missed calls in low-light conditions is unacceptable performance.  Based on the studies, TTI's findings, and personal experience video detection is not the most accurate.  I welcome differing points of view but they are most effective when they are backed by facts. 
As a moderator, I will ask you for the last time why you are so pro-loop and anti-video. Do you work for someone in the industry or is this just your strong opinion?

tradephoric

I'm pro-vehicle detection that is accurate and inductive loops are more accurate than video detection.

QuoteTradephoric, can you come out and say which company you work for that manufactures loops?
It's not appreciated that a moderator on this forum would be making baseless accusations. 

Alps

Quote from: tradephoric on August 15, 2012, 07:56:31 AM
I'm pro-vehicle detection that is accurate and inductive loops are more accurate than video detection.

QuoteTradephoric, can you come out and say which company you work for that manufactures loops?
It's not appreciated that a moderator on this forum would be making baseless accusations. 

Well look around the forum, most people aren't as vehement as you are on such a picayune topic.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Steve on August 15, 2012, 08:22:59 AM

Well look around the forum, most people aren't as vehement as you are on such a picayune topic.

wtf?  we've never seen a strong opinion before?

I don't like traffic lights on freeway-to-freeway connections, preferring instead long flyover ramps, so I must be working for a concrete company.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

agentsteel53

Quote from: Steve on August 08, 2012, 08:35:02 PM
(That's not necessarily the right approach, but I'm sure they did the math, because they don't have the money to waste.)

they don't?  you mean flying the governor around in a helicopter was a judiciously considered reaction based on fiscal prudence?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Alps

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 15, 2012, 12:25:59 PM
Quote from: Steve on August 08, 2012, 08:35:02 PM
(That's not necessarily the right approach, but I'm sure they did the math, because they don't have the money to waste.)

they don't?  you mean flying the governor around in a helicopter was a judiciously considered reaction based on fiscal prudence?
The NJDOT did not do that.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: tradephoric on August 14, 2012, 11:24:40 PM

-The loops can be damaged by brine that can seep in as a result of winter maintenance
-If there is a lot of traffic with heavy axle loadings (laden trucks and two-axle six tire transit buses) and the pavement is flexible (asphalt), then pavement can get rutted, which can damage the loops.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

kphoger

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 15, 2012, 12:23:20 PM

I don't like traffic lights on freeway-to-freeway connections, preferring instead long flyover ramps, so I must be working for a concrete company.

Better yet:  all the folks on here who are vehement about hydraulic concrete being better than asphalt must work for the cement companies.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Alps

Quote from: kphoger on August 16, 2012, 01:30:31 PM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 15, 2012, 12:23:20 PM

Better yet:  all the folks on here who are vehement about hydraulic concrete being better than asphalt must work for the cement companies.
I've never seen someone here argue that concrete is best in every application.

NE2

Those who argue against bikes on the road work for the car companies.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Road Hog

I looked and looked and I could not find a single Texas statute that covered what one should do at a malfunctioning red light. I did find lots of discussion about it, however.

I guess you're either supposed to turn right on red and then do a U-turn, or just patiently sit and wait for TxDOT to get off its duff and fix it. Or just damn the torpedoes and hope if there is a cop, he or she is reasonable.

vdeane

Quote from: NE2 on August 16, 2012, 10:36:05 PM
Those who argue against bikes on the road work for the car companies.
No, we're just the type of people who think of driving as fun rather than a chore.

And we don't object to bikes being on the road... we object to bikes being given a higher priority on the road than us and being inconvieienced (however that word's spelled... chrome's spell check is no help here) by them.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.