News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Goofy Signal Installation in Denton Tx

Started by Brian556, September 19, 2012, 01:14:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian556

This is at Colorado Blvd and Medpark Dr. I think this goofy installation has something to do with the presence of the power lines in the median. The stange thing is that these signals were first installed with full-length mast arms. They were installed in conjunction with the construction of the DCTA train station nearby. They sat un-used for a long time before being converted to this setup and placed into service.

What if a vehicle in the left lane cannot see the signal due to a large vehicle (bus or truck) slightly ahead of it in the right lane?
I think this is unsafe.

Zmapper

The sign in the median is blocking my view, but is the farside, left-corner signal a 5-lamp or 3-lamp signal?

Regardless, the best way to fix this without a mast arm near overhead power lines would be post-mounted signals on the median dividers between opposing traffic directions, like what the Wisconsin standard is.

roadfro

There's no reason a longer mast arm couldn't have been used.

I think it's better to avoid the median post mount signals, since they seem to get hit often (at least out in NV & CA). In this case, the median is way too narrow to have post signals.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

kphoger

Quote from: Brian556 on September 19, 2012, 01:14:22 AM
What if a vehicle in the left lane cannot see the signal due to a large vehicle (bus or truck) slightly ahead of it in the right lane?

Then the driver can look to the left instead.  There's a signal there too.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Henry

Quote from: roadfro on September 19, 2012, 06:38:31 AM

I think it's better to avoid the median post mount signals, since they seem to get hit often (at least out in NV & CA). In this case, the median is way too narrow to have post signals.
Agreed on both counts. Also, I find it a bit strange that the power lines are in the median instead of off to the side, where they would usually be.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Mr_Northside

Those lines should be up high enough that there should be no issue with longer mast arms.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

Brandon

Quote from: Henry on September 19, 2012, 11:23:53 AM
Quote from: roadfro on September 19, 2012, 06:38:31 AM

Agreed on both counts. Also, I find it a bit strange that the power lines are in the median instead of off to the side, where they would usually be.

They're just fine in the median, as along Eight Mile in Detroit.  I really don't see anything wrong with the signal.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

The High Plains Traveler

I wonder if the issue isn't maintenance on the signal head on the mast arm where the maintenance crew uses a bucket truck. The sag in the transmission line conductors might put a maintenance crew within the discomfort zone, if not an actual minimum separation distance from those lines, which I would estimate from the insulator size as being 115 or 230 kV. FWIW, I do work for an electric utility, though not in a role that would make me expert in that area.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

InterstateNG

Quote from: kphoger on September 19, 2012, 09:20:18 AM
Quote from: Brian556 on September 19, 2012, 01:14:22 AM

Then the driver can look to the left instead.  There's a signal there too.

Careful now, you'll disprove the OP's narrative.
I demand an apology.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.