Side of exit tab = side of exit?

Started by relaxok, October 19, 2012, 05:57:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

relaxok

There's a "99 Life Hacks" tumblr thread that has been going around: http://emono-omae.tumblr.com/post/33751845089/99-life-hacks-to-make-your-life-easier

In it i noticed this pic:

I had not heard of this or ever noticed it, and googling around briefly I couldn't find anything about it . I went on street view to some exits on I-84 I know are left exits and the exit tabs on them were not on the left, they were actually centered with a 'LEFT EXIT' black on yellow tab at the bottom of the sign.   Is this thing pictured above a MUTCD thing and/or actually used somewhere or just B.S.?

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Ian

Heh, I'm honored that whoever made that image used my photos!  :)

Going back on topic, I have seen exceptions to this rule. For example, here is a right side exit tab for a left exit along I-287 in New Jersey. It's also to my understanding that Nova Scotia normally uses left side exit tabs for all of their exits.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

roadman

Including the black on yellow "LEFT" banner on exit tabs (or signs for unnumbered exits) for left-side exits was first introduced as a recommendation in the 2003 MUTCD.  It became a requirement for new installations with the 2009 MUTCD.

Massachusetts first introduced this as a requirement for new signing beginning in 2001, however, due to the delay between project design and construction, the new tabs didn't actually start showing up on signs until about 2005 or so.  For greater target value, Massachusetts provides the "LEFT" banner as a separate tab above the standard size exit tab, instead of the "combined" exit tab shown in the MUTCD (this allows use of both a larger legend and more yellow background area than with the MUTCD E1-5bP design).  Examples of this treatment in MA include I-95 NB at the 128 "split" (where the "real" 128 begins) in Peabody, Route 140 southbound at Ashley Boulevard (Exit 6)in New Bedford, and MA 3 southbound at Plimoth Plantation Highway (Exit 4) in Plymouth.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

roadman

Quote from: PennDOTFan on October 19, 2012, 06:46:12 PM

Going back on topic, I have seen exceptions to this rule. For example, here is a right side exit tab for a left exit along I-287 in New Jersey. It's also to my understanding that Nova Scotia normally uses left side exit tabs for all of their exits.

When MassHighway did an accident recovery replacement of the overhead signs on I-290 east at the I-495 interchange in Marlborough several years ago, the fabricator put the exit tab for the I-495 north exit on the right of the sign, not the left as it should be (and as the original sign was).  To my knowledge, this error still hasn't been corrected.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Ian

Quote from: roadman on October 19, 2012, 06:53:13 PM
Quote from: PennDOTFan on October 19, 2012, 06:46:12 PM

When MassHighway did an accident recovery replacement of the overhead signs on I-290 east at the I-495 interchange in Marlborough several years ago, the fabricator put the exit tab for the I-495 north exit on the right of the sign, not the left as it should be (and as the original sign was).  To my knowledge, this error still hasn't been corrected.

I forgot about that one! You're right, the error has not been corrected, and there appear to be two signs with this error:

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe MassDOT has plans to replace the BGS's on this part of I-290 within the next year or so.
Youtube l Flickr

roadman

Quote from: PennDOTFan on October 19, 2012, 07:01:08 PM
I forgot about that one! You're right, the error has not been corrected, and there appear to be two signs with this error:

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe MassDOT has plans to replace the BGS's on this part of I-290 within the next year or so.

A contract to replace the signs and supports on I-290 between Plantation Street in Worcester and I-495 In Marlborough (including the Route 85 connector) is tenatively scheduled to be advertised for bids by the Spring of 2014.  Of course, like all current MassDOT sign work, this is pending the availabilty of funding.  Although the geometry of this location no longer qualifies for diagrammatic signs under the 2009 MUTCD, it's been rumored that MassDOT proposes to install diagrammatic signs at the advance locations (similar to the existing signs) to emphasize the sharp curve on the ramp to I-495 northbound.  Whether FHWA will permit this remains to be seen.

And I had forgotten that the tab error does appear on two signs.  Thanks for the update.

Ian

Quote from: roadman on October 19, 2012, 07:09:23 PM
A contract to replace the signs and supports on I-290 between Plantation Street in Worcester and I-495 In Marlborough (including the Route 85 connector) is tenatively scheduled to be advertised for bids by the Spring of 2014.  Of course, like all current MassDOT sign work, this is pending the availabilty of funding.  Although the geometry of this location no longer qualifies for diagrammatic signs under the 2009 MUTCD, it's been rumored that MassDOT proposes to install diagrammatic signs at the advance locations (similar to the existing signs) to emphasize the sharp curve on the ramp to I-495 northbound.  Whether FHWA will permit this remains to be seen.

Gotcha. I knew there were some plans for sign replacements on this stretch, but wasn't sure when it was planned to start.
Youtube l Flickr

PurdueBill

At least in the case of the I-290 signs above, there are arrows pointing to the exit lane that make it obviously a left exit even with the misplaced tabs.  For years there was a sign on I-65 SB approaching the north split of I-70 in Indy that should have had a left tab but had a right one, and nothing to hint at the "exit" for I-70 EB being to the left, unless you count the cantilever being based in the median.  That was one that needed badly to be fixed (and finally was, after years and years).

PHLBOS

Quote from: PennDOTFan on October 19, 2012, 07:01:08 PMI forgot about that one! You're right, the error has not been corrected, and there appear to be two signs with this error:

Prior to PennDOT changing from sequential exit numbering to mileage-based exit numbering; most of the original exit tabs for the PA 132/Street Road BGS' along I-95 South were erroneously placed on the left-top despite the exit ramp was the standard run-of-the-mill right-hand diamond interchange type.  When the exit number changed (from 25 to 37) in the early 2000s; all but one of the incorrectly-placed tabs were relocated to its proper right-top location.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

machias

I remember the first right-justified exit tabs I saw as a kid with the opening of the southern I-81/I-481 interchange in Syracuse. I found the placement to look quite odd at first.

I've always thought that exit number tabs should be centered unless the exit is to the left, then it should left-justified and posted as stated in the 2009 MUTCD. I think this brings more attention to the fact that the exit is off to the left and perhaps installation crews would understand the purpose of moving the exit tab to the left, because I can think of quite a few instances in NYS where the exit tab is on the left when it should be on the right (exit 105 on NY Route 17 immediately comes to mind).

vdeane

Had to look that one on street view.  How did THAT happen?  There's no mistaking it for a left exit, especially since it's just two of the signs... the other six are right!  I can understand the left exit mix-up more, since right exits are so standard... was the contractor from Nova Scotia or something?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.