News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Best mapping software for photo trips?

Started by mcdonaat, November 19, 2012, 10:08:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcdonaat

I want to be able to go through Webster Parish and take some photos of tons of old-style parish markers, but they're only at certain points. Is there any program that will let me plot them on a map... for a mobile device? Using a Windows Phone 7 device, and I do have a Nexus 7 at my disposal.

deathtopumpkins

I know most phones will geotag photos. On my Galaxy S III if I have it geotag them I can tap "Show on map" and have them instantly plotted on Google Maps.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Scott5114

Do you want to geotag the photos as you get them or do you want to have a map of pre-plotted points of known locations of old-style markers?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

cpzilliacus

If you have lots of money, you can use ESRI's ARCMap GIS software with an ARCMap add-in called GPS Photo Link. That allows you to easily put geotagged images on a map.

But ARCMap is not cheap.   

GPS Photo Link is a few hundred dollars (though  a version does come with some cameras with built-in GPS).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

mcdonaat

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 20, 2012, 09:44:20 AM
Do you want to geotag the photos as you get them or do you want to have a map of pre-plotted points of known locations of old-style markers?
That's exactly what I want to do. I know where markers are, and would like to see them on a map... checking them off as I go would be a huge plus.

Scott5114

You can probably find some sort of solution involving a KML file. You could make the file at home on Google Earth, and then would just have to find a way to display it on your phone. You might be able to do it with Google Maps. You can display KMLs on the regular Internet version of Google Maps, but I have no idea if you can do it within the mobile apps. If not you can probably find some special app to do it for you.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.