News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

U.S. 301 toll road project in Delaware

Started by Alex, March 22, 2009, 11:21:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrianP

I was thinking the last exit before the toll might be in MD. 

As for the Sassafrass Rd intersection, if it becomes a problem I think the next step would be to do what they've done south of there.  Which is to block off traffic from crossing 301 and making that require the use of J turns.  They would do that before using any signals. 

Alex

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 06, 2016, 09:54:09 PM
Quote from: Mr_Northside on January 06, 2016, 03:34:02 PM
Quote from: mrsman on January 05, 2016, 05:03:16 PM
You drive on your way to I-95 following US 301 all the way and then you hit this toll booth that you weren't expecting.

I would be a little surprised if there wasn't at least a "Last Exit Before Toll" or "Toll Road Ahead", or some warning that you are committing to paying a toll for not turning/exiting off the road when you have a chance.  But you never know, I suppose.

I'm pretty sure that's a MUTCD requirement.  Delaware's good about signing it on 95 & 1, so I would think they would do it on 301 as well.

This was not always the case along Interstate 95 southbound. When the state joined E-ZPass, they replaced the lone toll rate sign at SR 896 to only indicate the E-ZPass lanes:

The only toll sign prior to this overhead was an interchange sequence sign referencing the toll plaza.

Maryland was equally bad with no mention of the Newark Toll Plaza at MD 279 until the new Clearview signs went up in 2012. Now the signs include the needed "Last Exit Before Toll" placards.

Thankfully with both states consistent about it now, they hopefully will be with regard to the new U.S. 301 Toll Road.

mrsman

Quote from: Alex on January 07, 2016, 10:48:28 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 06, 2016, 09:54:09 PM
Quote from: Mr_Northside on January 06, 2016, 03:34:02 PM
Quote from: mrsman on January 05, 2016, 05:03:16 PM
You drive on your way to I-95 following US 301 all the way and then you hit this toll booth that you weren't expecting.

I would be a little surprised if there wasn't at least a "Last Exit Before Toll" or "Toll Road Ahead", or some warning that you are committing to paying a toll for not turning/exiting off the road when you have a chance.  But you never know, I suppose.

I'm pretty sure that's a MUTCD requirement.  Delaware's good about signing it on 95 & 1, so I would think they would do it on 301 as well.

This was not always the case along Interstate 95 southbound. When the state joined E-ZPass, they replaced the lone toll rate sign at SR 896 to only indicate the E-ZPass lanes:

The only toll sign prior to this overhead was an interchange sequence sign referencing the toll plaza.

Maryland was equally bad with no mention of the Newark Toll Plaza at MD 279 until the new Clearview signs went up in 2012. Now the signs include the needed "Last Exit Before Toll" placards.

Thankfully with both states consistent about it now, they hopefully will be with regard to the new U.S. 301 Toll Road.

My concern wasn't so much that there wouldn't be warning of the toll, as in "last exit before toll", it's that the public would not know about the non-toll route that existed before.

If 301 stayed on its old alignment those who don't want to pay a toll could stay where they are and those who are willing to pay a toll to speed up would take the toll road to DE-1.  Now, US 301 is on a toll routing and those who want to stay on the old road ... are they guided in any significant way?

I would encourage the Delaware authorities to sign a non-toll business route along the old routing.

Duke87

Quote from: mrsman on January 08, 2016, 04:30:15 PM
If 301 stayed on its old alignment those who don't want to pay a toll could stay where they are and those who are willing to pay a toll to speed up would take the toll road to DE-1.  Now, US 301 is on a toll routing and those who want to stay on the old road ... are they guided in any significant way?

I would encourage the Delaware authorities to sign a non-toll business route along the old routing.

See my previous point. The old route would remain viable for local traffic within the project area, and for traffic from the project area to and from points north. For anyone coming from the south, though, the old routing will no longer be passable since the toll road will be built directly on top of a segment of it.

The last opportunity to exit without paying a toll will be 2 1/2 miles before the road enters Delaware, and any remotely direct route back to the old road from that point will involve use of some road that is not currently a state highway.

Delaware could, in theory, sign some sort of toll free business routing which follows DE 299 to the MD state line, but the authorities in Maryland would have to get involved in order to make it a complete routing.

Meanwhile, I see no reason why either state would bother: there will be a shorter and more direct means of accessing the old alignment, by taking the first exit in Delaware. This will, however, involve passing through the mainline toll plaza and thus not be free.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Alex

$89 million in U.S. 301 contracts move forward

QuoteConstruction on most of the mainline route for the new U.S. 301 tollway near Middletown can begin by the end of the month, the Delaware Department of Transportation announced Wednesday.

DelDOT gave a notice to proceed to two companies to begin work on their $88.7 million segments of the expressway, which will stretch from the Maryland state line to Del. 1 just south of the C&D Canal and loop around Middletown.

A notice was given for the initial two segments of the project in December. Only a spur road veering off of the new expressway and interchange connections to Del. 1 and U.S. 13 have yet to be given the green light to move forward.

QuoteThe existing U.S. 301 through Middletown will be converted into a local roadway.

Henry

Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

The Ghostbuster

And once it is completed, hopefully the toll road will be a success. Hopefully.

noelbotevera

Clever, Delaware. You've actually got the shunpikers out of your state. Now you've forced them to use the Conowingo Dam on US 1 in MD... :clap:

extra points if i confused you, which was the point.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: noelbotevera on February 04, 2016, 06:08:43 PM
Clever, Delaware. You've actually got the shunpikers out of your state. Now you've forced them to use the Conowingo Dam on US 1 in MD... :clap:

Not exactly.  Look on a map sometime.  I call your attention to Md. 213. 
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

noelbotevera

Quote from: cpzilliacus on February 04, 2016, 08:24:01 PM

Not exactly.  Look on a map sometime.  I call your attention to Md. 213.
Congrats, I confused myself. Extra points to me.

Overlooked that bridge, I don't have a map on hand....

roadman65

Not really, as a present day toll collector in Florida people will still drive a toll road not only if they have no money, but especially if they know its a toll road and do not believe in supporting them. I have a lot of people pull up in the toll booth asking me "What if a person does not have money, how does one get to use this road" or the best one is "We as tourists do not know you roads, yet you expect us to pay a toll!"

In fact its that mentality that is probably why DelDOT is doing this as they are.  They really on the average ignorant motorists lack of awareness, to support this as they will always get their toll especially if the motorist at the time has no form of payment.  Even if its all AET, not all subscribe to EZPass so then they still get their money later with a little extra from processing fees.  Believe me all do not subscribe like we have many daily commuters here in my state who refuse to get SunPass even if they spend more money each day waiting in a long line behind motorists who have to dig in their pockets deep to find every dime, nickel, quarter, or even penny to give the collector.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

74/171FAN

Quote from: roadman65 on June 24, 2016, 05:10:54 AM

Not really, as a present day toll collector in Florida people will still drive a toll road not only if they have no money, but especially if they know its a toll road and do not believe in supporting them. I have a lot of people pull up in the toll booth asking me "What if a person does not have money, how does one get to use this road" or the best one is "We as tourists do not know you roads, yet you expect us to pay a toll!"

In fact its that mentality that is probably why DelDOT is doing this as they are.  They really on the average ignorant motorists lack of awareness, to support this as they will always get their toll especially if the motorist at the time has no form of payment.  Even if its all AET, not all subscribe to EZPass so then they still get their money later with a little extra from processing fees.  Believe me all do not subscribe like we have many daily commuters here in my state who refuse to get SunPass even if they spend more money each day waiting in a long line behind motorists who have to dig in their pockets deep to find every dime, nickel, quarter, or even penny to give the collector.

I feel like you just explained the reason why Chesapeake tripled the tolls on VA 168 on peak travel weekends.  (despite the fact that they know some people clog up Battlefield Blvd anyway)
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

roadman65

The state and the rental car companies both make out here in Florida on typical signs of the times ignorance.  Even with the Climate Change politicians they like having more clog up conditions if it means more money, however the AET may be a solution for them.

Without toll booths its even more easier to get money from motorists as many already ignore the TOLL warnings at freeway toll road entrances and of course the LAST EXIT BEFORE TOLL is just as seen as the EXIT ONLY signs are as well.  Getting people to pay the toll post time is the best way to get people to pay the toll and in high tourist areas the rental cars companies as well with their daily use fee of the transponder and the service fee per toll they charge on toll violaters.

Delaware is not dumb, as they have the quarter a mile I-95 there for a reason.  Most motorists feel that its the only road through Delaware and drive it, so why not charge more do to demand.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

The Ghostbuster

Does anyone know if the US 301 toll road's exit numbers will be sequential or mileage-based?

PHLBOS

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on June 27, 2016, 05:50:08 PM
Does anyone know if the US 301 toll road's exit numbers will be sequential or mileage-based?
Given that this will be a brand new highway; I would believe that mileage-based interchange numbers will be used.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

Quote from: PHLBOS on June 27, 2016, 06:23:37 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on June 27, 2016, 05:50:08 PM
Given that this will be a brand new highway; I would believe that mileage-based interchange numbers will be used.

Which amazingly will be Delaware's first highway to actually use mileage-based exit numbers.

elsmere241

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 27, 2016, 07:34:58 PMWhich amazingly will be Delaware's first highway to actually use mileage-based exit numbers.

When first built, the part of DE 1 from Red Lion to Christiana had mileage-based exit numbers.

epzik8

I'm glad the Middletown Bypass hasn't come to fruition in the years since its initial proposal, and I'm praying it stays that way.

I've been through Middletown on U.S. 301 in either direction in July. It may be a crowded area but I just don't like the idea of another freeway anywhere along the Delmarva - not that there are very many there to begin with, but that's exactly why I'm against the Middletown Bypass. It has nothing to do with tolls.

I'm actually up in Harford County, Maryland in between Baltimore and Wilmington. My northbound trip through Middletown this month actually started with me cutting up through Lancaster County, PA; I took PA-372 to PA-472 at Quarryville, took that through Oxford and to the MD state line at Lewisville. Hooked up with MD-213 there, went down through Elkton, Chesapeake City, Cecilton and cut off onto MD-290 at Galena, took that to 301. Went through that little corner of Cecil County before entering Delaware and reaching Middletown. Lots of lights but nothing drastic. Got to I-95 quickly and took that back into Maryland and then I was suddenly back in HarCo.

My southbound trip through Middletown just last week went like this: U.S. 1 across the Conowingo Dam to Rising Sun, then 273 to 274 to 272 to I-95. Got to Delaware, paid the toll, exited back onto DE-273 and then I actually took Old Baltimore Pike to DE-71 to U.S. 40 to Glasgow where U.S. 301 starts. Stopped at the Wawa in Middletown but if I hadn't done that I think I was on pace to get through the Middletown hub faster than my northbound trip. So then I entered Maryland again, took 301 south all the way to MD-305 which I took to Centreville because I had selected that as my turn-around point. Hooked up with MD-213 out of Centreville and all the way up the Upper Shore and to MD-279 at Elkton where I rejoined I-95.

I'm just skeptical. It's not the toll part I'm against, it's the freeway part. On the contrary, I believe the Delaware Route 1 expressway is very necessary. But I just don't know if the Middletown toll road is.

Can I also add that U.S. 301 between the DE state line and the U.S. 50 merge is an amazing highway. Much better than the Kent Island-Bay Bridge-Annapolis-Bowie section and the Southern Maryland portion.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Alps

I think some connection is necessary. I could believe that a simple two-lane expressway (i.e. no driveways, limited crossings) would work.

jwolfer

Quote from: epzik8 on July 29, 2016, 05:23:54 PM
I'm glad the Middletown Bypass hasn't come to fruition in the years since its initial proposal, and I'm praying it stays that way.

I've been through Middletown on U.S. 301 in either direction in July. It may be a crowded area but I just don't like the idea of another freeway anywhere along the Delmarva - not that there are very many there to begin with, but that's exactly why I'm against the Middletown Bypass. It has nothing to do with tolls.

I'm actually up in Harford County, Maryland in between Baltimore and Wilmington. My northbound trip through Middletown this month actually started with me cutting up through Lancaster County, PA; I took PA-372 to PA-472 at Quarryville, took that through Oxford and to the MD state line at Lewisville. Hooked up with MD-213 there, went down through Elkton, Chesapeake City, Cecilton and cut off onto MD-290 at Galena, took that to 301. Went through that little corner of Cecil County before entering Delaware and reaching Middletown. Lots of lights but nothing drastic. Got to I-95 quickly and took that back into Maryland and then I was suddenly back in HarCo.

My southbound trip through Middletown just last week went like this: U.S. 1 across the Conowingo Dam to Rising Sun, then 273 to 274 to 272 to I-95. Got to Delaware, paid the toll, exited back onto DE-273 and then I actually took Old Baltimore Pike to DE-71 to U.S. 40 to Glasgow where U.S. 301 starts. Stopped at the Wawa in Middletown but if I hadn't done that I think I was on pace to get through the Middletown hub faster than my northbound trip. So then I entered Maryland again, took 301 south all the way to MD-305 which I took to Centreville because I had selected that as my turn-around point. Hooked up with MD-213 out of Centreville and all the way up the Upper Shore and to MD-279 at Elkton where I rejoined I-95.

I'm just skeptical. It's not the toll part I'm against, it's the freeway part. On the contrary, I believe the Delaware Route 1 expressway is very necessary. But I just don't know if the Middletown toll road is.

Can I also add that U.S. 301 between the DE state line and the U.S. 50 merge is an amazing highway. Much better than the Kent Island-Bay Bridge-Annapolis-Bowie section and the Southern Maryland portion.
301 in Delaware has needed to be 4 lanes for years to match up to Maryland.  It's a viable alternative to i95

ChezeHed81

The striping on Route 1 NB was redone through the Biddles Corner Toll Plaza providing (2) continuous E-ZPass Express lanes.  Formerly, the E-ZPass lanes merged leaving the plaza and the cash customers had (2) full lanes.  While this appears to be part of the US-301 interchange construction, it should have been done long ago.

Some good things can come from construction or other projects, like when the I-495 bridge over the Christina River was tilting, DelDOT restriped I-95 SB between the I-295 split and I-495 merge which provided (3) continuous lanes for I-95 SB through that area.  After the I-495 bridge reopened, this change was retained, and traffic on I-95 is much improved during rush hour.

SteveG1988

Went through there yesterday. Grading is underway, as is preliminary overpass construction. Had no chance to stop and take photos, was in the truck and trying to make good time getting down to the beltway.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

epzik8

Is it confirmed that U.S. 301 will be shifted onto the toll road?
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

froggie

Yes.  DelDOT asked for AASHTO approval some years ago and received it.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: froggie on November 29, 2016, 12:07:43 PM
Yes.  DelDOT asked for AASHTO approval some years ago and received it.

In theory, with a U.S. route, isn't an Alternate toll-free route number supposed to be signed?
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.