News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

I-94 expansion on west of Milwaukee receives Federal approval

Started by OCGuy81, March 08, 2024, 06:09:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OCGuy81

A plan to widen Interstate 94 in Milwaukee has received federal approval.

The Wisconsin Department of Transportation announced Friday that the plan received an OK from the Federal Highway Administration. The state DOT will now move on to final design and construction.

The project will widen I-94 from six to eight lanes along a 3.5 mile stretch between 16th and 70th streets on the city's west side. Along with adding lanes, the project includes road modifications that will eliminate left-hand exit and entrance ramps and "right-sizing" the Stadium Interchange.

https://www.wpr.org/news/i-94-expansion-in-milwaukee-receives-federal-approval#:~:text=The%20project%20will%20widen%20I,%2Dsizing%E2%80%9D%20the%20Stadium%20Interchange.

Big John

Looking at what is currently on the site, the "right-sizing" of the Stadium Interchange means changing it to a DDI. (And they still make a reference to STH 341).  Other details are lacking at this point.

mgk920

Quote from: Big John on March 08, 2024, 06:29:21 PM
Looking at what is currently on the site, the "right-sizing" of the Stadium Interchange means changing it to a DDI. (And they still make a reference to STH 341).  Other details are lacking at this point.

'WI 341' is now WI 175.

Mike

The Ghostbuster

Well, the reconstruction of this portion of Interstate 94 is long overdue, especially the expansion to eight lanes. There will always be people that oppose transportation improvements, but I think this project is sorely needed and it shouldn't be delayed any longer.

peterj920

I wonder if WISDOT would consider widening I-94 to US 18/Bluemound Rd when completed? That left shoulder is extra wide and can easily accommodate an extra travel lane. The Brookfield Rd bridges would be the only major work that would need to be done since Calhoun Rd bridge was widened to accommodate 8 lanes.

The Ghostbuster

I don't think Interstate 94 will be expanded to eight lanes west of Moorland Rd. in the foreseeable future, although I would fully support doing so. I believe the Waukesha County segment of Interstate 94 was reconstructed in 1985, so it might be at least a couple decades before that segment is reconstructed again.

dvferyance

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on March 10, 2024, 01:37:38 PM
I don't think Interstate 94 will be expanded to eight lanes west of Moorland Rd. in the foreseeable future, although I would fully support doing so. I believe the Waukesha County segment of Interstate 94 was reconstructed in 1985, so it might be at least a couple decades before that segment is reconstructed again.
What really needs to be done is widen it to 6 lanes from Waukesha to Oconomowoc. That would be done long before 8 lanes were extended west.

JoePCool14

Great news. I wonder how they will handle the cemetery west of Brewers Stadium. And access to said stadium in general.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Big John

Quote from: JoePCool14 on March 10, 2024, 07:52:09 PM
Great news. I wonder how they will handle the cemetery west of Brewers Stadium. And access to said stadium in general.
There are cemeteries on both sides abutting the right of way so that is a major sticking point. All that is decided now is the removal of the left-side ramps.

The Ghostbuster

Interstate 94 will be four lanes in each direction through the cemetery. However, the narrowest section (an approximately 2000-foot segment) will have four 11-foot lanes and two-foot shoulders due to space constraints. Hawley Rd. will be a half-diamond interchange (east-off, west-on), as will Gen. Mitchell Blvd. (west-off, east-on). In addition to the Stadium Interchange being converted from a freeway-to-freeway system interchange into a diverging diamond interchange, there is also a study ongoing to make changes to the STH 175 Stadium North Freeway segment: https://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/projects/by-region/se/175study/default.aspx. Although I would reconstruct the Stadium North into a four-lane parkway similar to the STH 794 Lake Parkway, I have a feeling the freeway will be downgraded into a boulevard with signaled at-grade intersections.

mgk920

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on March 10, 2024, 10:28:35 PM
Interstate 94 will be four lanes in each direction through the cemetery. However, the narrowest section (an approximately 2000-foot segment) will have four 11-foot lanes and two-foot shoulders due to space constraints. Hawley Rd. will be a half-diamond interchange (east-off, west-on), as will Gen. Mitchell Blvd. (west-off, east-on). In addition to the Stadium Interchange being converted from a freeway-to-freeway system interchange into a diverging diamond interchange, there is also a study ongoing to make changes to the STH 175 Stadium North Freeway segment: https://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/projects/by-region/se/175study/default.aspx. Although I would reconstruct the Stadium North into a four-lane parkway similar to the STH 794 Lake Parkway, I have a feeling the freeway will be downgraded into a boulevard with signaled at-grade intersections.

There are still graves in that cemetery that are legally 'sealed' for public health reasons due to them being burials from a real unknown cause pandemic over a century ago.  Thus I-94 is narrow there and for a while WisDOT even considered cantilevering the sides of the freeway through it.

Mike

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.