News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-49 in Arkansas

Started by Grzrd, August 20, 2010, 01:10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grzrd

Small progress.  This TV video reports that third lanes have opened from Johnson Mill Boulevard to Wagon Wheel Road and that the next I-49 project scheduled to be complete is the usable portion of the Bella Vista Bypass:

Crews have officially moved the orange barrels on an eight mile stretch of I-49 Thursday. This will open up a expanded third lane in both the north and southbound directions. The new lanes start near Johnson Mill Boulevard and extend up to Wagon Wheel Road.
The new lanes were supposed to open Thursday night at 8, but the highway department decided to open them this afternoon instead ....
With the lane expansion complete, now crews are focusing on other I-49 updates. "We'll have several projects that will be completed next year during 2017. The next project that is related to I-49 that is scheduled for completion is in fact the usable portion of the Bella Vista bypass."
The highway department said by 2022, most of the work on I-49 should be complete between Fayetteville and Bella Vista.

M86

Quote from: bjrush on November 01, 2016, 08:09:49 PM
M86, who did you talk to in Bville? Mike Churchwell worked for AHTD for 20+ years. Really their mayor drives a lot of what they do
"Mike Churchwell worked for AHTD for 20+ years".

Hey, he has a street named after him in the east hills of Bentonville!

That explains a lot.  And I've talked to the mayor.  Why is the City of Bentonville designing interchanges on an Interstate, without consulting the city on the east side of I-49? Rogers? Do the math.

The good ol' boy network at AHTD needs to be dismantled and reformed. Just because they've worked for X-number of years, doesn't mean they're competent.

And it's funny how AHTD is a separate thing from the state government.

It sucks that this will be buried under Texas stuff, but it happens!

bjrush

Churchwell is a good engineer. He is competent.

Bentonville and Rogers did collaborate on the exit's design. As part of the deal, 3 miles of US 71B in Rogers will become a city street

I'm not sure why you would think they didn't collaborate
Woo Pig Sooie

US71

Quote from: bjrush on November 06, 2016, 01:44:20 PM
Churchwell is a good engineer. He is competent.

Bentonville and Rogers did collaborate on the exit's design. As part of the deal, 3 miles of US 71B in Rogers will become a city street

West Walnut, I'm guessing?
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

yakra

Will it lose the 71B designation?
Or, can it keep it?
How does city vs state maint work in AR WRT numbered routes?
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

US71

Quote from: yakra on November 27, 2016, 01:11:42 AM
Or, can it keep it?

There is precedent for AHTD turning highways over to local municipalities.Usually it becomes a city street or county road with no state designation. Bus US 62 in Rogers, AR was turned back to the city several years ago and AR 12 rerouted.

Many times, it's after AHTD improves a highway, AR 112/ SE J St in Bentonville being one example. The street was widened then turned back to the city.

bjrush

Quote from: yakra on November 27, 2016, 01:11:42 AM
Or, can it keep it?

I bet it will be truncated to some sort of state highway intersection, probably 8th St, and just become city street
Woo Pig Sooie

The Ghostbuster

How big of a priority is Interstate 49 in Arkansas? And other than the Bella Vista Bypass, and the new segment between US 71 and AR 22 east of Fort Smith, are they any official plans to construct the other portions of Interstate 49 anytime in the near future?

bjrush

I would say BVB is an extremely high priority, especially the year Dick Trammel is Chairman of the Arkansas State Highway Commission. I would expect work to start on the Arkansas River Bridge within the next 10 years. Anything else will be after that project.

Smart money is on a bypass around Mena being the next major piece to fall into place after those. AHTD builds freeways by bypassing cities then connecting the bypasses with new terrain rural routes between
Woo Pig Sooie

Gordon

The Arkansas River Bridge project is moving slowly towards maybe happening but as always looking for a way to pay for it. AHTD is asking letters of interest for study.    Notice is hereby given that the Arkansas State Highway and Transportation Department (Department) is
seeking letters of interest from qualified firms for professional services for the 13.7-mile Future Interstate 49
segment between Highway 22 and Interstate 40 in Arkansas.
The required professional services will generally consist of the following tasks:
- Tolling feasibility and financial analyses
- Cost estimation based on a conceptual and preliminary design
- Environmental reassessment
- Recommendation for viable project delivery methods

Road Hog

Know how you can pay for this project and every other project the state could dream of? Become the first Southern state to legalize recreational cannabis and tax it.

US71

Quote from: Road Hog on December 23, 2016, 05:52:08 PM
Know how you can pay for this project and every other project the state could dream of? Become the first Southern state to legalize recreational cannabis and tax it.

Also quit giving tax breaks to wealthy corporations that move to China or Mexico (Whirlpool, anyone?)

wdcrft63

North Carolina is building a statewide network of interstate highways. The money comes from the gas tax, which is 13.45¢ higher in NC than in Arkansas (according to http://taxfoundation.org/blog/state-gasoline-tax-rates-2016). I'm not arguing that Arkansas should do that; it's a decision for Arkansas folks to make. But it is possible to build roads if voters really want to have them.

US71

Quote from: wdcrft63 on December 23, 2016, 06:33:50 PM
North Carolina is building a statewide network of interstate highways. The money comes from the gas tax, which is 13.45¢ higher in NC than in Arkansas (according to http://taxfoundation.org/blog/state-gasoline-tax-rates-2016). I'm not arguing that Arkansas should do that; it's a decision for Arkansas folks to make. But it is possible to build roads if voters really want to have them.
Arkansas wants better roads, but wants someone else to pay for them.

Bobby5280

That's just it. Stupid voters think roads just build themselves for free. The voters don't want to pay for anything. They view any tax as way too much tax. They don't ever bother thinking about what it costs to build a road, be it all the high priced materials, the high priced planning, construction, workers comp insurance on all that labor, etc., etc., etc. Far be it for these lazy idiots to bother themselves with details.

So, here in Oklahoma at least, we have a gas tax funding mechanism that hasn't budged since around 1993. I can guarantee a road costs way way more to build now than it did 23 years ago. There's actually a bunch of people who think the gasoline tax should be abolished. I wonder how these selfish morons would feel if their own jobs in the private sector got put under the microscope. How would these selfish morons feel if the "peanut gallery" demanded they get their pay cut in half or even be forced to work for free.

American voters are, on average, not the slightest bit plugged into reality.

US 41

Quote from: Bobby5280 on December 24, 2016, 05:12:14 PM
That's just it. Stupid voters think roads just build themselves for free. The voters don't want to pay for anything. They view any tax as way too much tax. They don't ever bother thinking about what it costs to build a road, be it all the high priced materials, the high priced planning, construction, workers comp insurance on all that labor, etc., etc., etc. Far be it for these lazy idiots to bother themselves with details.

So, here in Oklahoma at least, we have a gas tax funding mechanism that hasn't budged since around 1993. I can guarantee a road costs way way more to build now than it did 23 years ago. There's actually a bunch of people who think the gasoline tax should be abolished. I wonder how these selfish morons would feel if their own jobs in the private sector got put under the microscope. How would these selfish morons feel if the "peanut gallery" demanded they get their pay cut in half or even be forced to work for free.

Actually I don't think people have a problem with paying taxes. They just get sick of their money being "wasted". If the gas tax actually went back to the roads rather than in some general fund, then I don't think people would be complaining (as much).
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

US71

Quote from: US 41 on December 24, 2016, 06:37:04 PM
Quote from: Bobby5280 on December 24, 2016, 05:12:14 PM

Actually I don't think people have a problem with paying taxes. They just get sick of their money being "wasted". If the gas tax actually went back to the roads rather than in some general fund, then I don't think people would be complaining (as much).

Little Rock and NWA get the bulk of highway revenue while the rest of the state suffers and the governor refuses to raise taxes to fix the roads.

jbnv

Quote from: US71 on December 24, 2016, 07:13:00 PM
Little Rock and NWA get the bulk of highway revenue while the rest of the state suffers and the governor refuses to raise taxes to fix the roads.

It's the governor's job to set taxes? In my state, the legislative branch does that. But maybe Arkansas is different.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

bjrush

Quote from: jbnv on December 24, 2016, 11:32:00 PM

It's the governor's job to set taxes? In my state, the legislative branch does that. But maybe Arkansas is different.

Highway revenues goes to the general fund. The entire state budget is set by the General Assembly. A gas tax increase wouldn't 100% go to AHTD unless it was a different mechanism
Woo Pig Sooie

US 41

Quote from: bjrush on December 24, 2016, 11:41:15 PM

Highway revenues goes to the general fund. The entire state budget is set by the General Assembly. A gas tax increase wouldn't 100% go to AHTD unless it was a different mechanism

My point exactly. Raising the gas tax almost does nothing for roads. Most of the money will just get spent elsewhere.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

compdude787

Quote from: US 41 on December 25, 2016, 09:10:17 AM

My point exactly. Raising the gas tax almost does nothing for roads. Most of the money will just get spent elsewhere.

Well, that's really dumb. Most states don't have the gas tax go into the general fund. In Washington, the gas tax only funds the DOT.

US71

Quote from: compdude787 on December 25, 2016, 01:42:27 PM

Well, that's really dumb. Most states don't have the gas tax go into the general fund. In Washington, the gas tax only funds the DOT.

This is Arkansas: everyone wants a piece of the pie, especially Wal-Mart

sparker

Quote from: US71 on December 25, 2016, 02:45:15 PM
Quote from: compdude787 on December 25, 2016, 01:42:27 PM

This is Arkansas: everyone wants a piece of the pie, especially Wal-Mart

Which brings us full circle to a point I made in another thread: has anyone in the Wal-Mart organization or even the Walton family expressed any interest in the completion of I-49 (first, in reference to the missing Bella Vista link into MO, and, second, Ft. Smith to Texarkana)?  Or do they not see any benefit to themselves from either or both of these projects?  If anyone more in tune with attitudes at Wal-Mart HQ, or manifestations of any previous transportation policy-related activities on their part, please speak up!

US71

Quote from: sparker on December 25, 2016, 05:15:25 PM

Which brings us full circle to a point I made in another thread: has anyone in the Wal-Mart organization or even the Walton family expressed any interest in the completion of I-49 (first, in reference to the missing Bella Vista link into MO, and, second, Ft. Smith to Texarkana)?  Or do they not see any benefit to themselves from either or both of these projects?  If anyone more in tune with attitudes at Wal-Mart HQ, or manifestations of any previous transportation policy-related activities on their part, please speak up!

I've not heard much in Public, but the original I-540/I-49 corridor up the mountain was built with Wal-Mart in mind (per Bobby Hopper).

Wal-Mart also persuaded AHTD to build them their own exit on I-49.

Then there's the regional cargo airport.

So I am sure Wal-Mart is pushing, but not much is being said in public.

Road Hog

Besides, Walmart has distribution centers scattered hither and yon. I don't think I-49 makes much of a difference to them one way or another. They became a mega-giant while US 71 was the main route to the world, after all.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.