News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-49 in Arkansas

Started by Grzrd, August 20, 2010, 01:10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bjrush

Yeah and people in Arkansas City believe their high school will see the same thing once I-69 comes through. Doesn't mean it will happen
Woo Pig Sooie

Avalanchez71

So you don't think the Delta will see the same growth.   :-P

bjrush

I don't think McDonald County is going to have a high school that would be one of the largest in the state if it were in Arkansas, no

The only people moving to McDonald County are people who work in NWA. No one moves here from CA for a job in SWMO. The jobs are in Benton and Washington Co
Woo Pig Sooie

bjrush

Let's put it this way:

Assume 60% of a counties population works

Benton 221k x 0.6 = 133k
Washington 203k x 0.6 = 131k

So the Arkansas workforce in NWA is 264k.

McDonald 23k x 0.6 = 14k or 5% of the regions workforce (assuming every single soul works in Benton or Washingto  Counties)

McDonald County is pretty demographically insignificant today and probably will be forever
Woo Pig Sooie

Avalanchez71

Quote from: bjrush on July 01, 2014, 03:28:23 PM
I don't think McDonald County is going to have a high school that would be one of the largest in the state if it were in Arkansas, no

The only people moving to McDonald County are people who work in NWA. No one moves here from CA for a job in SWMO. The jobs are in Benton and Washington Co

True but the roadway system keeps folks in NWA.

bjrush

I think the jobs, housing and cultural amenities keep people in NWA more than the roads. Do you ever think McDonald County will grow at a faster rate than Benton or Washington?
Woo Pig Sooie

agentsteel53

pretty sure these five, and perhaps one and only one more, are in NWA.

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

US71

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on July 01, 2014, 03:55:24 PM
Quote from: bjrush on July 01, 2014, 03:28:23 PM

True but the roadway system keeps folks in NWA.

Well, Arkansas doesn't have John Paul Hammerschmidt in the US House anymore to bring home the pork, so we build roads as we have the money, though I honestly believe some of our existing roads could be better maintained rather than constantly building new. But I'm not in charge of state highway policy.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

AHTD

Well stay tuned.... you're about to see a shift away from new construction to just that- taking care of what we have.

This is not an official statement other than the fact Director Scott Bennett has floated this before the Commission as they look to prepare the next STIP.
Travel and construction information available at www.idrivearkansas.com

US71

71 below Artist's Point is in really bad shape. :(

O Tamandua

Quote from: AHTD on July 01, 2014, 06:17:37 PM
Well stay tuned.... you're about to see a shift away from new construction to just that- taking care of what we have.

This is not an official statement other than the fact Director Scott Bennett has floated this before the Commission as they look to prepare the next STIP.

Blast.

Oh well...I-49 was a fun dream while it lasted.  ;-)

Road Hog

McDonald County is bound to grow some, if just from people who move to the area and would prefer to live in the countryside.

Is there an advantage to living in Missouri and working in Arkansas? What are the differences between Missouri and Arkansas in terms of cost of living, taxes, license fees, etc?

Arkansastravelguy

This new sign showed up at the new Don Tyson interchange and I must say it is a huge improvement! Love it!

iPhone

US71

Quote from: Arkansastravelguy on July 03, 2014, 09:59:18 PM

This new sign showed up at the new Don Tyson interchange and I must say it is a huge improvement! Love it!

iPhone

Ribbon cutting for the new intetrchange will be Monday, July 7 at 1pm

bjrush

Quote from: Arkansastravelguy on July 03, 2014, 09:59:18 PM

iPhone

Saw that today too. Tried to get a pic but failed. That sign is BEAUTIFUL! I think it was designed by Garver, with the rest of the project, not AHTD
Woo Pig Sooie

bugo

Quote from: US71 on June 30, 2014, 01:26:22 PM
Quote from: apjung on June 30, 2014, 11:35:29 AM

Speaking of wooden posts, it's seems that CA uses nothing but wooden posts on all signs. The only metal used are the gantry signs.

MoDOT used to use wooden posts almost exclusively except along expressways. The last few years, they seem to be using more square metal posts and some U-channel, but not a lot. I still see wood posts, but they seem fewer and fewer these days.

I remember seeing wooden posts on US 71 north of Jasper back in the early-mid '80s on the expressway section. 

Kansas also used to use wooden posts, but I don't think they do anymore.

O Tamandua

Here is an article on the Don Tyson parkway opening today off I-49 in Springdale.

Timely.  Just last week,  Hillshire Farm agreed to be acquired by Tyson.  This would make Tyson Foods (using 2014 Fortune 500 numbers) the #75 company on that list, and will make Tyson (which was already the world's largest beef/pork/chicken processor) to meat what Procter & Gamble is to consumer products, Coca-Cola is to non-dairy beverages and General Mills is to breakfast food/baking items...all the brands below will be under the Tyson umbrella as of September 27th.  There have been, are and likely will be a lot of people flying into NWA Regional Airport to drive up this parkway to Tyson hq.  Never though I'd see things like this (and Walmart) happening in Northwest Arkansas.

US71

Quote from: O Tamandua on July 07, 2014, 01:01:04 PM
Here is an article on the Don Tyson parkway opening today off I-49 in Springdale.

Timely.  Just last week,  Hillshire Farm agreed to be acquired by Tyson.  This would make Tyson Foods (using 2014 Fortune 500 numbers) the #75 company on that list, and will make Tyson (which was already the world's largest beef/pork/chicken processor) to meat what Procter & Gamble is to consumer products, Coca-Cola is to non-dairy beverages and General Mills is to breakfast food/baking items...all the brands below will be under the Tyson umbrella as of September 27th.  There have been, are and likely will be a lot of people flying into NWA Regional Airport to drive up this parkway to Tyson hq.  Never though I'd see things like this (and Walmart) happening in Northwest Arkansas.

I miss the "original" Mexican Original: their corn chips were the best, until Tyson bought them out and ruined everything :(

O Tamandua

Quote from: US71 on July 07, 2014, 01:29:20 PM
Quote from: O Tamandua on July 07, 2014, 01:01:04 PM

I miss the "original" Mexican Original: their corn chips were the best, until Tyson bought them out and ruined everything :(

:eyebrow: Though there's no "perfect pizza" I'm guessing in the grocery store refrigerators, I wonder what would happen if they buy, say, Totino's?  That being said, I'm very grateful that the Hillshire brands remain in American hands.  Tyson outbid a Brazilian firm for it.  A Chinese firm now owns Smithfield meats.  The "BRICS" nations are turning hostile to the U. S. dollar (can't say I blame them given our decisions right now).  Keeping these brands American may have more benefits than we will know, and I'm saying this even though I'm heartily involved with web ministries to help the people of Brazil.  Plus, it doesn't seem proper for names like "Ball Park franks" and "State Fair corn dogs" to be anything but USA-owned.

Back to highway matters, it appears this was completed a month ahead of schedule? To AHTD, City of Springdale and/or whomever was involved, congratulations, and job well done on the timetable.

Avalanchez71

That will drive traffic over to XNA.

Arkansastravelguy

New Don Tyson Pkwy

iPhone

Bobby5280

Quote from: Arkansastravelguy

It's not as bad as neutered shields with over-sized numerals. However, the numerals are positioned too close to the Interstate header. They need to be shifted downward a bit into the proper position where the "Arkansas" state name could be added whether it was actually added or not. It would look more balanced that way.

One other note: while I do prefer FHWA Series Gothic numerals for route markers, I don't like the "9". It looks like it is floating above the baseline. That appearance is even more exaggerated on the 24" shields with 12" numerals.

O Tamandua

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on July 07, 2014, 04:13:37 PM
That will drive traffic over to XNA.

Hope so, but more likely it will be seeing people from XNA for now.

Arkansastravelguy, thanks for the photos.  This was a big enough "to-do" that a TV station or two carried the ribbon-cutting, opening live.

bjrush

Just wait until they start in on the roundabout at 56th and Don Tyson...y'all will love that
Woo Pig Sooie

US71

Quote from: bjrush on July 07, 2014, 08:47:50 PM
Just wait until they start in on the roundabout at 56th and Don Tyson...y'all will love that
Only if I go to Arvest Ballpark ;)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.