News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-49 in Arkansas

Started by Grzrd, August 20, 2010, 01:10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M86

Quote from: Arkansastravelguy on August 08, 2014, 12:06:55 AM
Looks like AHTD doesn't need to redo the roundabout plans :(

I actually thought the main traffic movement was going to go through a roundabout.  It's just the interchange, and the 2 lane connection to the west.

Missouri will figure it out.  I'm still trying to figure out why only 2 lanes of a 4 lane facility is being built.  Huge waste of money in the long run.  Sigh.  I guess something is better than nothing.

US71

Quote from: M86 on August 08, 2014, 01:04:57 AM
Quote from: Arkansastravelguy on August 08, 2014, 12:06:55 AM
Looks like AHTD doesn't need to redo the roundabout plans :(

I actually thought the main traffic movement was going to go through a roundabout.  It's just the interchange, and the 2 lane connection to the west.

Missouri will figure it out.  I'm still trying to figure out why only 2 lanes of a 4 lane facility is being built.  Huge waste of money in the long run.  Sigh.  I guess something is better than nothing.

Looks like a clusterfork to me.

I think 2 lanes is all they have money for at this time.

BTW: as you come down the hill on I-49 into Bella Vista, you can get a glimpse of the work being done.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

bjrush

QuoteMissouri will figure it out.  I'm still trying to figure out why only 2 lanes of a 4 lane facility is being built.  Huge waste of money in the long run.  Sigh.  I guess something is better than nothing.

I think Dick Trammel hinted that if Missouri got this vote passed AHTD would find the money to add the other two lanes.

But there's no need to build a 4 lane road to nowhere.
Woo Pig Sooie

M86

Dick Trammel?  Biggest let-down to this area.  But I guess being old is something.
AHTD, we're sick of him!  We need new reps!

US71

Quote from: M86 on August 09, 2014, 03:08:13 AM
Dick Trammel?  Biggest let-down to this area.  But I guess being old is something.
AHTD, we're sick of him!  We need new reps!
Mr Trammel likes to talk a lot. Part salesman, part huckster.

Arkansastravelguy

The future road to nowhere

US71

Quote from: Arkansastravelguy on August 09, 2014, 11:47:10 PM

No, it's a gateway to rural Benton County ;)

Grzrd

Quote from: US71 on August 10, 2014, 08:50:58 AM

Since Hiwasse has been annexed into Gravette, it could also be viewed as the Gravette Divider/Connector ("GDC"), although some might prefer to refer to it as the "GD Connector".  :spin:

US71

Quote from: Grzrd on August 10, 2014, 10:00:12 AM
Quote from: US71 on August 10, 2014, 08:50:58 AM

Since Hiwasse has been annexed into Gravette, it could also be viewed as the Gravette Divider/Connector ("GDC"), although some might prefer to refer to it as the "GD Connector".  :spin:
I guess "Hiwasee Bypass" is obsolete now.

O Tamandua

This mightn't mean much, but...it's looking ever more like Asa Hutchinson will be the next governor of Arkansas.  And just a week or so ago, Sen. Jim Hendren (Republican, and like Hutchinson from the Gravette area) was elected as Arkansas senate majority leader by acclamation.  Today, an editorial in the local paper ran saying it looks like Hutchinson is going to be a guy Republicans can really rally around.  (The new Republican State Senate whip will be from Texarkana, another I-49 city.)

If elected, Hutchinson would be the first governor from what is now "Northwest Arkansas" (metro) since Orval Faubus left office in 1967.  John Boozman of northwest Arkansas is one of the Natural State's senators, and Steve Womack (R-Rogers) is said to be rising in stature among the (old guard, I fear, not necessarily conservative) Washington congressional Republicans.

Makes me wonder if such a combination of NWA-bred elected officials might help the BV Bypass in any way.  They sure can't overturn last week's Missouri election results.  But I'd think with as much potential money as a completed I-49 can bring to NWA there might be some stronger interest in seeing this highway get finished than there has been.

Time will tell.

bjrush

I don't see any of those guys asking BO or Hillary for highway handouts

Looks like another roadblock to progress
Woo Pig Sooie

ARMOURERERIC

If a farmer owns enough land, maybe he can build a 2 lane toll road from US 71 in Mo to the state line :)

O Tamandua

Quote from: bjrush on August 10, 2014, 07:18:05 PM

Huckabee, maybe.

US71

Quote from: O Tamandua on August 10, 2014, 08:12:51 PM

Huckabee, maybe.

Huckabee is too busy pushing his agenda and trying to be Prez.

As far as "local" politicians, they have their own agendas (like getting reelected) and highways are not a priority as they were with John Paul Hammerschmidt.

O Tamandua

Quote from: US71 on August 10, 2014, 08:26:33 PM
Quote from: O Tamandua on August 10, 2014, 08:12:51 PM

Huckabee, maybe.

Huckabee is too busy pushing his agenda and trying to be Prez.

As far as "local" politicians, they have their own agendas (like getting reelected) and highways are not a priority as they were with John Paul Hammerschmidt.

"Maybe" on all counts.

But given that northwest Arkansas' metro has passed the 500,000 mark (going by their figures the population will be 501.800 as of tomorrow) I still believe the first big post-half million change for this metro area, which is becoming the eye of an economic hurricane in mid-America, will (and will have to) relate to "Transportation, transportation, transportation."

And I get the feeling with all the news we've seen on I-49 and Texas I-69 there's a LOT more going on behind the scenes than we know.  You can exchange the words "going on" with "interest" in my previous sentence as well.  And whoever gets I-49 finished is going to leave a significant legacy, which many of these men would also be interested in.  BTW, as far as Gov. Huckabee goes, many of my fellow conservatives think he's a RINO (Republican In Name Only).  Same with Boozman.  Same with Womack.  Same with Hutchinson.  Don't know on Hendren.  But though he wasn't a perfect conservative Arkansas has been a changed state, largely for the better, since Huckabee was in office.  Again, I'm guessing these men have a clue how important this highway will be...though if Huckabee (who is one of many potentially running as a Republican for president now) would be elected he will indeed have a lot greater worries for our country than just a new interstate.

Like I said, time will tell.

amroad17

Could this be Arkansas' version of the "Goat Path Expressway"?  It could be called the "Hog Path Expressway"!  :colorful:
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Brandon

Quote from: amroad17 on August 11, 2014, 06:17:17 PM
Could this be Arkansas' version of the "Goat Path Expressway"?  It could be called the "Hog Path Expressway"!  :colorful:

Arkanland?
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

robbones

AHTD,

There are 2 GS at the junction of AR 60 north and AR 282 in Rudy that still have TO I 540 posted.

US71

Quote from: robbones on August 12, 2014, 02:17:48 PM
AHTD,

There are 2 GS at the junction of AR 60 north and AR 282 in Rudy that still have TO I 540 posted.

I just found those last week :)

Arkansastravelguy

I know where a 540 shield is in Washington Co. Hee hee

US71

Quote from: Arkansastravelguy on August 12, 2014, 04:57:02 PM
I know where a 540 shield is in Washington Co. Hee hee

Not AHTD's

Also not AHTD.

Or do you mean the one near the Subaru dealer? I'm not sure it's AHTD either.

Arkansastravelguy

There's a ton of these around on back roads

bugo

I will not be revealing the locations of several I-540 shields I recently found in the Lowell area.  Find them yourself.

US71

Quote from: Arkansastravelguy on August 12, 2014, 06:30:05 PM

There's a ton of these around on back roads
Never seen this one, but it's likely a city or county maintained sign.

Arkansastravelguy

Quote from: bugo on August 12, 2014, 07:49:49 PM
I will not be revealing the locations of several I-540 shields I recently found in the Lowell area.  Find them yourself.
If you are referring to 112/264 intersection, they've been replaced.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.