News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Battle Creek, MI-area meet (Nov 12 2016)

Started by rawmustard, April 11, 2016, 04:28:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: US 41 on September 29, 2016, 08:13:18 PM
I'm a little nervous about going up just because I really don't know any of you, but I guess it would be a great way to get to know some people.

The first time you attend a road meet, of course you won't know anyone. But the more meets you attend, the more you'll see familiar faces that you've met before. We are a great group. And honestly, the best friendships I've made so far in my adult years have come from the roadgeek community. You should give it a try! If you attend once and realize it's not for you, no harm done. But I can't imagine my life now without these friendships I've made over the years I've been involved with this community.
-A.J. from Michigan

hbelkins

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on September 30, 2016, 07:31:16 AM
I'm a little nervous about going up just because I really don't know any of you, but I guess it would be a great way to get to know some people.

The first time you attend a road meet, of course you won't know anyone. But the more meets you attend, the more you'll see familiar faces that you've met before. We are a great group. And honestly, the best friendships I've made so far in my adult years having come from the roadgeek community. You should give it a try! If you attend once and realize it's not for you, no harm done. But I can't imagine my life now without these friendships I've made over the years I've been involved with this community.

What A.J. said. We all gotta start somewhere. You'll get to a point where, like a lot of us, familiar faces outnumber unfamiliar ones at these events.

Not sure if I have officially RSVP'd to this one or not, and I don't accept Facebook meet invites because it tells everyone on your friends list that you're attending, but I do plan to be there. Looking at spending Friday and Saturday nights in the South Bend/Elkhart area and driving up and back for the meet. Hoping to clinch US 31 in Indiana (I need from the Louisville area north to Indy, and a small portion between the Toll Road and the state line) as well as US 33 in Indiana and Ohio, which will give me a total clinch, on the trip.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

US 41

Quote from: hbelkins on September 30, 2016, 11:01:59 AM
Quote from: A.J. Bertin on September 30, 2016, 07:31:16 AM

The first time you attend a road meet, of course you won't know anyone. But the more meets you attend, the more you'll see familiar faces that you've met before. We are a great group. And honestly, the best friendships I've made so far in my adult years having come from the roadgeek community. You should give it a try! If you attend once and realize it's not for you, no harm done. But I can't imagine my life now without these friendships I've made over the years I've been involved with this community.

What A.J. said. We all gotta start somewhere. You'll get to a point where, like a lot of us, familiar faces outnumber unfamiliar ones at these events.

Not sure if I have officially RSVP'd to this one or not, and I don't accept Facebook meet invites because it tells everyone on your friends list that you're attending, but I do plan to be there. Looking at spending Friday and Saturday nights in the South Bend/Elkhart area and driving up and back for the meet. Hoping to clinch US 31 in Indiana (I need from the Louisville area north to Indy, and a small portion between the Toll Road and the state line) as well as US 33 in Indiana and Ohio, which will give me a total clinch, on the trip.

I would love to come up honestly, but I think it would be too much of a stretch for me to do this all in one day. I've thought about this a lot and unfortunately I think I'm out. I saw that there might be a Kankakee, IL meet next year and if there is I will definitely come up for it. It's just that a little over 9 hours of driving in one day on top of a meet I think is a little too much for me to be able to accomplish in a single day.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: US 41 on October 17, 2016, 06:27:14 PM
I would love to come up honestly, but I think it would be too much of a stretch for me to do this all in one day. I've thought about this a lot and unfortunately I think I'm out. I saw that there might be a Kankakee, IL meet next year and if there is I will definitely come up for it. It's just that a little over 9 hours of driving in one day on top of a meet I think is a little too much for me to be able to accomplish in a single day.

I take it you don't have the means to turn this into an overnight trip?
-A.J. from Michigan

US 41

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on October 17, 2016, 09:26:28 PM
Quote from: US 41 on October 17, 2016, 06:27:14 PM

I take it you don't have the means to turn this into an overnight trip?

Unfortunately no. I am always scheduled to work on weekends. My work is usually okay with giving me one day off once in a while on a weekend, but two days would be stretching it a little bit, especially since I just took off to go to Canada.

okroads

As of today, I am going to this meet. Plans are to drive up Friday morning and stay Friday & Saturday nights in Battle Creek before heading back Sunday. This will also give me the opportunity to get the remaining section of I-69 I lack in Michigan (between I-94 & I-96). The only time I've been to Battle Creek was in July 2011 and that was only on I-94 & I-194, so I am looking forward to seeing more of the area.

okroads

Only four days left now until this meet. My plans changed a bit, as in I am no longer staying in Battle Creek for any more time than the meet itself, but I will now be collecting several new Michigan counties during the weekend, mainly along the U.S. 10, U.S. 31, and U.S. 131 corridors. Looking forward to seeing everyone there!

jpi

I am now officially going, staying in Marshall Friday night, doing the meet, maybe dinner depending on the time then heading south to Vandalia, OH Saturday night lodging, toy show next morning in Dayton then home.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

hbelkins

My trip plans have changed. I have a doctor's appointment early Thursday morning, so I'm taking off after that. In order to take advantage of various free night promotions, I have to change hotels every night. I'll be heading to Louisville and then clinching US 31 in Indiana (I need the part between the river and I-465, and the section between the toll road and the Michigan state line) and staying in South Bend. I'm going to clinch US 31 in Michigan on Friday (needing the section between the state line and I-96) and then stay Friday and Saturday nights at different locations in Elkhart. On Sunday, I will be clinching US 33, needing most of it in Indiana and small portions near the Indiana state line and in Columbus in Ohio. I plan to end up in Beckley, WV, where I'll be trying to finish up clinches of all state routes in southwestern West Virginia.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Roadgeek Adam

Here's my two main group photos from the Battle Creek meet, both taken at the Historic Bridge Park in Calhoun County. This is the first time I've ever had to deal with a group photo on two different levels of elevation, so I have two different angles.

From left to right:

H.B. Elkins (KY), Dan Garnell (MI), Nikolai Nolan (OH), Todd Astroth (OH), AJ Bertin (MI), Brian Rawson-Ketchum (MI - meet host), Sam Scholtens (MI), Jason Ilyes (TN), Michael Gronseth (MI), David Corcoran (ID, blocked by Michael's shoulder), Brandon Gorte (IL), Eric Stuve (OH), Doug Kerr (NY), and Brian Reynolds (MI).

Second angle, this time with me (Adam Moss - IL) visible from the road below. In order to get me in it, I had to set up the camera on the road below with my tripod, then run under the bridge in under 10 seconds to get me in it, because  there's no way I would've made it up in time.

Also, those are my road signs provided for the shots.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

US 41

Nice pics. Is 15 people at a meet pretty good or is that about average?

froggie

Depends on the intent of the meet.  Plenty of meets have existed where the intention was for a smaller crowd...sometimes these are called mini-meets, but not always.

That said, 15 would be around the median.

wanderer2575

Looks like I missed a good one.  I really wanted to be there, but Family Stuff Happened and I would have had to leave halfway through lunch to get back home.

noelbotevera

Quote from: US 41 on November 14, 2016, 09:00:56 PM
Nice pics. Is 15 people at a meet pretty good or is that about average?
Decent. Central PA (my first one that I did seven months before) had about 25-30 people, give or take 3 people.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.