News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Incorrect highways marked on Google Maps

Started by Riverside Frwy, November 08, 2009, 09:56:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Quote from: kphoger on October 14, 2012, 08:49:27 AM
I even mentioned that very thing farther upthread.  (too lazy to look now)
Hey at 22 pages it is very easy to miss something.  Only NE2's posts I do not miss seeing all of his posts, because  of the fact  that he needs so much attention  from society that he makes his posts stand out above all the rest.  It could be as many pages as the dictionary, and you could not miss any of what he has to say.

Nonetheless, who ever posted it, no matter how many times, it is still interesting to see that kind of error.   I have seen mainline I-94 signed in Bismark along its business routing, but this one with an "E" suffix is super strange occurrence.

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

MDOTFanFB

Quote from: mukade on July 02, 2012, 11:02:02 PM
When did Google Maps fix the problem of the US highways in Illinois, Nebraska, Idaho, etc. from other states? I don't see these in Indiana at least.

Not quite, since U.S. 50 west of Lake Tahoe, CA, is (still) listed as, ironically enough, "U.S. Route 50 in California"!  :pan:  :spin:

kphoger

Quote from: Kacie Jane on October 14, 2012, 11:18:19 AM
kphoger, look closely at my last post (i.e. the one where I point that out to roadman by quoting your post from January).

Wow, I didn't realize I was that lazy!   :-D
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

pianocello

Quote from: MDOTFanFB on October 12, 2012, 09:07:08 PM
It looks like I've discovered another U.S. 27 in Michigan, this time in Alma: http://goo.gl/maps/VTbPl
Interesting. I saw US-27 in Apple maps as well, except it was in Mt. Pleasant.

Could this be a temporary hurrah for people who missed U.S. 27?
:clap:
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

roadman65

In Lewes, DE there is a section of US 9 that is marked as 'Road 23.'  Then it also shows the part of King's Highway that deviates from US 9 and leads into Downtown Lewes as 'US 9.' 

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Roadsguy

The Ben Franklin Bridge in Philly is now not shown as a freeway. :banghead: :banghead:

I have officially given up on Google Maps. (Now how do I link to a point on Bing?)
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

I think the bridge itself can be called a freeway, now that they put in the movable barrier - I wouldn't have said that pre-barrier. But it definitely ends on the PA side either way, so between there and the tollbooth is an academic exercise.

MDOTFanFB

Quote from: MDOTFanFB on September 18, 2012, 06:55:06 PM
If this counts, apparently, Street View no longer recognizes Ohio or Alaska  :pan:, as seen in this example (look in the upper left, specifically in the box with "Interstate 280"): http://goo.gl/maps/jyckm

Well, it looks like Ohio and Alaska are no longer the only states that are omitted on Street View addresses (a.k.a. the "(address) (street name) (suffix), (city), United States" bug)!  :pan:

New York State no longer exists...

Neither does Illinois...

Nor North Carolina...

Not even Kentucky exists any more...

Nor Missouri...

Nor Arizona...

Even Google's home state of California gets bitten by the "no state on Street View address" bug!  :banghead:

Why are states disappearing all of a sudden from addresses on Street View? A potential attack by Alanland?

vtk

They also seem to give the "address" with no regard to which of several names on the road is actually used for making an address.  For example, in downtown Columbus, it will say "96 U.S. 40", when it should say "96 W Broad St", or at least "96 W U.S. 40".  Just another example of why the directional prefix should (in a majority of address systems, including all in central Ohio) be considered part of the address, not part of the street name.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Central Avenue

Quote from: vtk on October 31, 2012, 01:06:39 PM
They also seem to give the "address" with no regard to which of several names on the road is actually used for making an address.  For example, in downtown Columbus, it will say "96 U.S. 40", when it should say "96 W Broad St", or at least "96 W U.S. 40".  Just another example of why the directional prefix should (in a majority of address systems, including all in central Ohio) be considered part of the address, not part of the street name.

I've noticed that as well.

One of the most egregious examples was a few months back, when they had nearly all of US 40, at least in Ohio, labeled as "Victory Highway" regardless of any of its local names.

Now they seem to have it, as you noted, as "U.S. 40", which is marginally better since one could at least find references to US 40 in real-life signage...
Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

empirestate

Oops, I seem to have screwed up Google Maps' rendering of the George Washington Bridge interchange. I sent them a report that Exit 1 from the lower lever to the Henry Hudson Parkway was incorrectly shown diverging to the right instead of the left...now they're updated it to show the ramp on the left, but from the upper level instead!

http://goo.gl/maps/3gq1d

My fault, sorry!   :pan:

Roadgeek2500

For once, Google maps has done something GOOD. it actually shows you your house and the exact development you are in when you are zoomed in real close  :wow:

[Image redacted. Probably not a good idea to show the entire world the exact city and street you live on, dude! -S.]
Quote from: NE2 on December 20, 2013 - DRPA =Derpa

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

HighwayMaster

This is both correct and incorrect: The GSP in Jersey is NJ-444, but in New York, it's NY-982L, not NY-444

http://goo.gl/maps/xPSzV
Life is too short not to have Tim Hortons donuts.

Roadsguy

Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Some_Person

Quote from: Roadsguy on November 04, 2012, 10:52:37 AM
Yet another...
"4 lanes, 55.00 mph speed, Two way traffic, Paved road, Expressway" How does that even get approved...

I found another case of a back road being shown as an expressway, and I edited it back to normal, and of course I get the "This edit does not meet our guidelines.." automated response. I wish Map Maker was as simple and easy as OpenStreetMap. Some of the editors at Map Maker who have the ability to approve these edits don't even know as much as half the people on this forum.

Roadgeek2500

Look at this, the DE/PA borders In Google maps and MapMaker are over 1mi. apart.   :banghead: :banghead:

Google Maps (I'm pretty sure this is the correct one)

Google MapMaker

Some_Person

Interstate 376 Business is colored orange for its entire length even though there are clearly a few at grade intersections: http://goo.gl/maps/GZBYh

This section of US 22 is colored yellow when it is a freeway here: http://goo.gl/maps/5E6sd

This mile or two long segment of US 209 is a freeway, and is labelled as such on most official maps, but from experience in Map Maker, Google refuses to give it expressway or freeway status  http://goo.gl/maps/TtQCj

Roadsguy

Quote from: Some_Person on November 06, 2012, 10:20:23 PM
Interstate 376 Business is colored orange for its entire length even though there are clearly a few at grade intersections: http://goo.gl/maps/GZBYh

That's because it's an expressway, not all freeway. (I believe it was once supposed to be all upgraded though...) Since you use Map Maker, did you check to see if it was freeway or expressway, or if ALL of it was wrongly shown as expressway?

Alps

Quote from: Roadgeek2500 on November 06, 2012, 07:55:27 PM
Look at this, the DE/PA borders In Google maps and MapMaker are over 1mi. apart.   :banghead: :banghead:

Google MapMaker

Delaware needs all the land it can get.

Roadgeek2500

Quote from: Steve on November 07, 2012, 06:10:19 PM

Google MapMaker

Yeah, so much that it needs PA 491 in DE  :spin:

Alps

Quote from: Roadgeek2500 on November 10, 2012, 08:30:36 AM
Quote from: Steve on November 07, 2012, 06:10:19 PM

Yeah, so much that it needs PA 491 in DE  :spin:
There's a DE 491. It's just really short. (Eastern end of 491 at 92 dips into DE.)

Kacie Jane

I was looking at the Alaskan Way Viaduct area today for some reason, and slowly came to the realization that there don't seem to be any SR 99 shields to be seen anywhere in Washington.

Billy F 1988

Does the state of Montana have a US 210? I say no. But we do have 2, 12, 20, 87, 89, 93, 191, 212, 287 and 310. I don't see how Google Earth has a US 210 in Montana. That just doesn't make sense.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.