News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Incorrect highways marked on Google Maps

Started by Riverside Frwy, November 08, 2009, 09:56:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: empirestate on November 20, 2012, 11:18:51 PM
do the classes "trunk", "arterial" and so forth refer to the traffic a highway carries, or that which it's designed to carry, or capable of carrying, even though the actual amount is much more or less? I'm speaking from a cartographic standpoint, not an engineering one.

'Trunk', 'arterial', etc. should refer to the route's importance in the overall road network.  That is, the main highway people take from City A to City B should be considered a trunk route; highways feeding that one from smaller communities and alternate routes should be considered secondary.  The amount of traffic that a trunk route is designed to carry, as well as what it actually carries, will vary by geographical location; IMO, that shouldn't affect how it is rendered on a map.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

myosh_tino

Quote from: NE2 on November 20, 2012, 11:54:55 PM
So for the example of a four-lane going to two through a mountain range:
       ^ ^
===-----===
        ^
Looks like that road is under construction!  ;-)
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

Some_Person

This section of US 202 in New Jersey has always been shown as a freeway, but now it's colored yellow http://goo.gl/maps/AksH9

Also, I believe I've seen this on this thread or at least forum somewhere before, http://goo.gl/maps/JR7nd I-6 is showing up in Maine

Roadsguy

Quote from: Some_Person on November 25, 2012, 10:45:11 PM
This section of US 202 in New Jersey has always been shown as a freeway, but now it's colored yellow http://goo.gl/maps/AksH9

:banghead:
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Alps

Quote from: Roadsguy on November 26, 2012, 08:29:27 AM
Quote from: Some_Person on November 25, 2012, 10:45:11 PM

:banghead:
Someone must have decided it's not a freeway because "I drive on 202 and it has lights." Not thinking about where the lights end.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Dr Frankenstein

And now Autoroutes 10, 35 and 55 have entirely gone shield-less.

And an inexplicable, isolated stretch of A-30 popped up in the middle of Beauharnois, 3 weeks from opening.

Damn, I hate clueless MapMaker editors.

Roadsguy

The entire eastern half of I-140 in Wilmington, NC isn't shown as a freeway. As if to justify this, all shields on the entire thing are gone. :eyebrow:
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

vdeane

Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on November 28, 2012, 10:35:38 AM
And now Autoroutes 10, 35 and 55 have entirely gone shield-less.

And an inexplicable, isolated stretch of A-30 popped up in the middle of Beauharnois, 3 weeks from opening.

Damn, I hate clueless MapMaker editors.
Part of I-781 popped up too, though it's shown as "Iraqi Freedom Drive" (they added the SPUI).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

bob7374

Quote from: Roadsguy on November 28, 2012, 11:13:49 AM
The entire eastern half of I-140 in Wilmington, NC isn't shown as a freeway. As if to justify this, all shields on the entire thing are gone. :eyebrow:
According to NCDOT the eastern half of the Wilmington Bypass is only US 17, not I-140. It is a freeway though, so you would think it would show up as one. Elsewhere in NC, now that I-73 officially runs along all of US 220 South of Greensboro, they've removed all I-73 shields from Asheboro north. They do have I-74 shields along US 220 as far north as US 311, or as one shield to the east of the exit reads, I-311.

Roadsguy

Can we just amend the US roadgeek constitution and ban all use of Google Maps? :bigass:

Some_Person

Quote from: Roadsguy on November 28, 2012, 05:25:02 PM
Can we just amend the US roadgeek constitution and ban all use of Google Maps? :bigass:
I think they should just give us the right to edit Google Maps just as much as we can edit OpenStreetMap, anyone who's smart enough to discover and use Map Maker efficiently shouldn't have to wait for a long process just to get their edit (sometimes :-/) approved.

Although, based on how my experiences with Map Maker have been, your idea seems easier and better :-D

Alps

I think Google Maps should only be editable by members of AARoads who have at least 100 posts and have been here at least 7 days. (That gives admins enough time to cut off clueless users.)

vtk

Maybe AARoads could start a new server using OSM's toolchain and we could have our own roadgeeky map dataset.

...yes, I know how absurd that sounds.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Alps

Quote from: vtk on November 29, 2012, 12:44:48 PM
Maybe AARoads could start a new server using OSM's toolchain and we could have our own roadgeeky map dataset.

OSM is basically just that. Unlike Google Maps, the OSM editors actually know what they're doing.

vtk

Quote from: Steve on November 30, 2012, 06:30:35 PM
Quote from: vtk on November 29, 2012, 12:44:48 PM

OSM is basically just that. Unlike Google Maps, the OSM editors actually know what they're doing.
...which is exactly why duplicating that effort is so absurd.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

NE2

Quote from: Steve on November 30, 2012, 06:30:35 PM
Unlike Google Maps, the OSM editors actually know what they're doing.
Usually. But it's not worth forking just so the Alaskan Way Viaduct can be a freeway.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Roadsguy

NE2

Quote from: Roadsguy on December 01, 2012, 09:47:01 AM
Why exactly isn't it shown as one?
Because a local decided it's not one, due to:
"Low speed limits (35 mph on Spokane Street Viaduct, 50/40 mph on Alaskan Way Viaduct vs. I-5 60mph)
No shoulders
dangerous onramps
narrow lanes"

Roadsguy

Well, we all know it's one of the most substandard freeways ever. Hence the planned demolition. :P

jp the roadgeek

Don't know if anyone has noticed, but Maine apparently has started signing the new rooftop highway as Interstate 6.  Still a 2 lane road though :)
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

rickmastfan67

Kacie Jane

rickmastfan67

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.