Incorrect highways marked on Google Maps

Started by Riverside Frwy, November 08, 2009, 09:56:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

There's one particular road in México that's shown on three out of those four mapping programs.  Google is the only one that doesn't show it.  The road does not exist in real life.  This is the kind of thing Google is pretty good at.  The others seem to get their information all from the same place.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Alps

Quote from: formulanone on May 23, 2013, 08:34:04 PM
So...who's up for suggesting US 498 to Google for a small part of Animal Kingdom?

What's the logo at the bottom? Looks like crossed swords.

Billy F 1988

Those are swords but are implied to be as shovels.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

codyg1985

Google Maps shows TN 110 as continuing south into Alabama along AL 53 to end at I-65. Of course, this isn't the case.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

formulanone

Quote from: Steve on June 09, 2013, 05:43:54 PM
What's the logo at the bottom? Looks like crossed swords.

It's a "Diggs County" logo, with crossed shovels. The California Division of Public Works used a pick axe and a shovel in the same spot. There's also a "re-purposed" shield nearby...you can see where embossed 498 once appeared, but it's painted over.

Looking at the shield gallery, it looks like Disney did their homework.

NE2

Quote from: formulanone on June 10, 2013, 02:27:54 PM
Usually :bigass:
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

1995hoo

I noted today that Google Maps shows I-66 shields from Somerset to Paducah. Those aren't actually posted out there yet, are they?
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

deathtopumpkins

Not so much an incorrect highway, but I noticed when driving home from Maine a few days ago that Google refuses to route you over several stretches of US 1 in New Hampshire. First was US 1 Bypass over the Long Bridge, which I presume they never updated after it reopened recently, and then another stretch of US 1 just south of where the Bypass merges (essentially right by the restaurant where the Portsmouth meet was held). When driving on it, the Navigation app on my phone freaked out and displayed a combination "We couldn't find a route" and a constant rerouting to nearby roads.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

agentsteel53

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on June 10, 2013, 05:32:54 PM
Not so much an incorrect highway, but I noticed when driving home from Maine a few days ago that Google refuses to route you over several stretches of US 1 in New Hampshire. First was US 1 Bypass over the Long Bridge, which I presume they never updated after it reopened recently, and then another stretch of US 1 just south of where the Bypass merges (essentially right by the restaurant where the Portsmouth meet was held). When driving on it, the Navigation app on my phone freaked out and displayed a combination "We couldn't find a route" and a constant rerouting to nearby roads.

similarly, there is a segment of CA-67 near my house that - at least as of several months ago - could not be routed over.  I have no idea why the glitch; the road has been unmodified for years.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

vtk

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 10, 2013, 04:36:43 PM
I noted today that Google Maps shows I-66 shields from Somerset to Paducah. Those aren't actually posted out there yet, are they?

Pretty sure that's in their database as "Future I-66" and they still haven't figured out how to display bannered routes properly.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

formulanone

Quote from: NE2 on June 10, 2013, 03:41:50 PM
Quote from: formulanone on June 10, 2013, 02:27:54 PM
Usually :bigass:

Unfortunately, that shield (along with all the other shields and signs) are gone, as of my trip in January 2013. They remodeled the Test Track with more GM money to make it look more futuristic, and less rustic. :( Would like to know where it wound up, though...usually, Disney has a penchant for saving all their old crap.

Is that a I-405 shield off to the side?

NE2

Quote from: formulanone on June 10, 2013, 06:16:55 PM
Is that a I-405 shield off to the side?
Yep, neutered. Found another photo:

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

vtk

There were some I-405 shields in Hilliard, Ohio for several months a few years ago.  A driving school called "Drive 405" or something like that popped up in a strip mall.  Their logo included a neutered Interstate 405 shield, which was drawn with something like Tahoma in print ads.  But on the signage above the storefront, they had a pattern-accurate, retroreflective I-405 shield mounted. 

Would have been funny to see that show up on Google Maps somehow.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Roadgeek2500

Now, there is a part of the PA/DE state line that has completely vanished  http://goo.gl/maps/bCZJ4   :confused:
Quote from: NE2 on December 20, 2013 - DRPA =Derpa

vdeane

DE is DE; PA is PA.  But also, PA is DE, and DE is PA.  All four of these are true.  Clearly, the states have been annexed by Alanland.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

TEG24601

Quote from: codyg1985 on June 09, 2013, 06:35:56 PM
Google Maps shows TN 110 as continuing south into Alabama along AL 53 to end at I-65. Of course, this isn't the case.

As someone attempting to fix this issue, is there a designation for the road that is a continuation of TN 110 to AL 53?  Does AL 53 really travel south on that poor road along the railroad, and not down 251?

BTW - I a member of Google Mapmaker, the people who actually fix these sort of issues, so feel free to send me a message with errors, so I can try to correct them.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

NE2

Jones Avenue is the signed truck route/through route to I-65. SR 53 however uses 6th to Ardmore.
http://aldotgis.dot.state.al.us/GeneralHighwayPDF/co42.pdf

TEG24601

Quote from: kphoger on May 21, 2013, 08:17:32 PM
You want proof that all they do is draw lines over their own satellite imagery?  Here it is.

This is obviously in the process of being upgraded from a three-way at-grade intersection to a four-way cloverleaf:

And so the Goog gives us this quite unuseful map:

Unfortunately, that was likely done by bots.  Google uses many bots to update information all the time.  It is actually a pain the the ass for those of us who try to keep our local areas up-to-date and correct.  Some bots trace over the satellite imagery, others, pull information from hundreds of sources for road names, business names and locations, but some of the sources are 10, 15, 20, up to 50 years old, and no one bothers to tell the bots to compare the information between sources before publishing, so suddenly, you will have businesses appear that hadn't existed in your lifetime, or road names revert to those prior to a county or citywide renaming of streets for emergency services, or even revert highway names and locations to those that were in existence in 1960... even if the road bed doesn't even exist in that area anymore.  It is a constant struggle, and while the bots are helpful to get things started, they are a pain in the ass when they change items you have been working meticulously on for weeks and months, or when a Google Moderator denies a change of yours because it doesn't match their information, because they never bothered to look up the business or check another source, just the bot or their existing database.  Hell, I've been struggling just to get the Hoosier Heartland Highway labeled since before it opened, and they are still trying to revert it.

Then again, especially in Indiana, I refuse to remove routes that used to travel through cities, simply because INDOT decided to make them discontinuous to save money.  INDOT actually removed SR 25 and 26, along with other from Lafayette and West Lafayette in order to save money, but without them on Google Maps, most people would get lost in those cities, because they don't know their way around otherwise.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

Avalanchez71

It appears that Google still has the old US 11 through Athens, TN marked as US 11.

vdeane

Why doesn't Google get rid of the bots?  As it stands now, they're worse than useless.  No wonder their data is so bad.  Bots?  Data over 10 years old?  It's as if they're TRYING to make their maps bad!

Not that it wasn't obvious that quality was not a concern when they switched from NavTeq to TeleAtlas way back when.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

TEG24601

Quote from: vdeane on June 23, 2013, 11:04:39 PM
Why doesn't Google get rid of the bots?  As it stands now, they're worse than useless.  No wonder their data is so bad.  Bots?  Data over 10 years old?  It's as if they're TRYING to make their maps bad!

Not that it wasn't obvious that quality was not a concern when they switched from NavTeq to TeleAtlas way back when.

This is one of those questions we as GMM Reviewers keep asking.  It is especially bad when a Google Employee trusts the bot over that of someone who lives in the area.  It will take approval by 5-10 reviewers to override an Employee or even some Bots.

Then again, the system is good in other ways, like who shorting after the I-5 Bridge Collapse in Washington, I removed the bridge to prevent traffic routing.

vdeane

On the other hand, I also HATE the way Google marks roads as not existing when they're merely closed.  What if you're using the map for planning a trip for after the road re-opens, or just finding out where a route goes for the heck of it?  Google will often delete a road immediately but take months to put it back.

Alps

Quote from: vdeane on June 24, 2013, 07:40:07 PM
On the other hand, I also HATE the way Google marks roads as not existing when they're merely closed.  What if you're using the map for planning a trip for after the road re-opens, or just finding out where a route goes for the heck of it?  Google will often delete a road immediately but take months to put it back.
One of the more annoying "features" of Google is the random missing bits of roads that you can't see until you try to route over them. I've had turn penalties that mysteriously disappear when you double back to an area on a circuitous routing, tiny gravel roads faster than the straight routes they parallel, and 2-hour detours for some nonexistent break in the only road that goes through an area. Considering that I try to time my days to fill daylight, an extra 10-15 minutes here and there can mean the difference between seeing extra bridges, scenic views, etc., or burning straight through.

codyg1985

Quote from: TEG24601 on June 23, 2013, 04:10:45 PM

As someone attempting to fix this issue, is there a designation for the road that is a continuation of TN 110 to AL 53?  Does AL 53 really travel south on that poor road along the railroad, and not down 251?

BTW - I a member of Google Mapmaker, the people who actually fix these sort of issues, so feel free to send me a message with errors, so I can try to correct them.

AL 53 does indeed travel west along 6th street from AL 251's northern terminus before turning south (but signed north) along the road next to the railroad before going under the railroad via a one-way tunnel controlled with a traffic signal. There is nothing in the field that I can see that indicates that TN 110 is signed past its southern terminus with AL 53/TN 7. TN 7 officially ends about a 1/4 mile to the east of TN 110 at the Giles/Lincoln County line, all multiplexed with AL 53.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

TEG24601

Quote from: codyg1985 on June 24, 2013, 08:44:13 PM
Quote from: TEG24601 on June 23, 2013, 04:10:45 PM

AL 53 does indeed travel west along 6th street from AL 251's northern terminus before turning south (but signed north) along the road next to the railroad before going under the railroad via a one-way tunnel controlled with a traffic signal. There is nothing in the field that I can see that indicates that TN 110 is signed past its southern terminus with AL 53/TN 7. TN 7 officially ends about a 1/4 mile to the east of TN 110 at the Giles/Lincoln County line, all multiplexed with AL 53.

It should be fixed now.  I've already reported the error in the state line, and am working out the Truck route from TN-7 to AL-53.  That should be taken care of shortly.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.