News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-68 (National Freeway)

Started by jwags, February 21, 2010, 12:53:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr_Northside

Personally, in my opinion, it might have something to do with how horrible US 219 is south of Somerset (with the Meyersdale bypass being an exception) vs. the stretch of US-220 between I-68 & Bedford.

Also, the folks in the Somerset county area have been hearing they're gonna get the thing built for about as long as I've been alive. 
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

PAHighways

Quote from: LeftyJR on April 14, 2010, 12:53:43 PMJeff, how does this play into the US-219 upgrade that WV/PA/MD is fighting for?  With all the play on upgrading US-220 between Corridor H and I-68, why wouldn't they just upgrade all of 220 to four lanes betweend I-68 and Bedford?  It seems like they are moving the money around in ways that don't make sense?  Why do two corridors piecemeal?

There has always been talk of building an expressway from Maryland to the Turnpike along the 219 corridor (even as a second round of Turnpike Extensions), but none about constructing one along 220.  The focus of the latter has always been trying to connect both major east-west routes, which it finally did.

The Meyersdale to Somerset section of 219 was in the news a few months back, and it was mentioned that bidding could start November of this year.

bluecountry

Is there any reason why I-68 is so much more scenic and your ears pop on it as opposed to the PA turnpike?

Also, what is with the land clearing on the hill by milepost 128 on the PA Turnpike?

Crazy Volvo Guy

Quote from: leifvanderwall on April 06, 2010, 08:12:21 PM
I do agree with the two bloggers that I-68 is a trooper paradise especially going westward just before Cumberland. I spotted three driving on 68  last November. Except for the tolls, there really isn't much difference between taking the Turnpike from I-68

The troopers there on the downhill are generally looking for trucks going faster than 45 and/or in the left lane.
I hate Clearview, because it looks like a cheap Chinese ripoff.

I'm for the Red Sox and whoever's playing against the Yankees.

1995hoo

Holy threadbump!

There was a lot of talk in this thread about going through Wheeling after using I-68. I've used four different routes to or from Pittsburgh or southern Ohio:

(1) I-70 to Breezewood, then the Turnpike to Pittsburgh (never gone that way to southern Ohio, though we went that way on a trip to Michigan back in 1987).

(2) I-68 west to I-79, then north to Pittsburgh (again, never gone that way to Ohio).

(3) I-68 west to the US-219 exit in Maryland, then a right turn to pick up US-40 to Uniontown, then the new PA-43 toll road up to I-70, then I-70 west to Ohio (have not used this to Pittsburgh).

(4) Coming back from Ohio: US-33 to US-50, cross into West Virginia at Parkersburg, follow to Clarksburg, then I-79 south to US-33/future Corridor H into Virginia.

A variation on #4, going westbound, would be I-68 west to I-79, then south to US-50 (Corridor D) and follow that west to Ohio. That's how I'd go if I were on I-68 heading west to southern Ohio (obviously out of the way for northern Ohio) unless my destination were right around Wheeling. Corridor D proved to be wide-open, no traffic lights and nobody on the road, much more pleasant than Pennsylvania's substandard Interstates. (In my case, I'm uncertain whether I would use Corridor H in its present configuration or I-68. Might depend on how much time we had, as you have to connect from the western end of Corridor H to some other thru route. There are several options, of course.)

Regarding cops on I-68, my brother always claims Garrett County is always crawling with cops. I've never seen one on there. In fairness to my brother, however, I should note that usually when he's on that road it's to go to a "music festival" somewhere (he regularly has photo passes for Ratdog and related bands), so I'm sure the cops also know about the "music festivals" and are looking for a pretext to pull over people they think are stoners and the like.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

froggie

QuoteCorridor D proved to be wide-open, no traffic lights and nobody on the road,

There's a signal now...at WV 98.  Also at the I-77 and I-79 ramps.

1995hoo

Quote from: froggie on March 24, 2014, 11:17:27 AM
QuoteCorridor D proved to be wide-open, no traffic lights and nobody on the road,

Yeah, I meant no lights between those two Interstates (which you note is no longer the case). I just didn't feel that level of specificity was needed. It's still a much easier ride than Pennsylvania's Interstates, though maybe not in the snow (I have not had reason to find out).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: bluecountry on March 23, 2014, 07:29:59 PM
Also, what is with the land clearing on the hill by milepost 128 on the PA Turnpike?

I think that is associated with the New Baltimore Slide Remediation project. 
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Henry

Quote from: PAHighways on April 14, 2010, 11:39:52 PM
Quote from: LeftyJR on April 14, 2010, 12:53:43 PMJeff, how does this play into the US-219 upgrade that WV/PA/MD is fighting for?  With all the play on upgrading US-220 between Corridor H and I-68, why wouldn't they just upgrade all of 220 to four lanes betweend I-68 and Bedford?  It seems like they are moving the money around in ways that don't make sense?  Why do two corridors piecemeal?

There has always been talk of building an expressway from Maryland to the Turnpike along the 219 corridor (even as a second round of Turnpike Extensions), but none about constructing one along 220.  The focus of the latter has always been trying to connect both major east-west routes, which it finally did.

The Meyersdale to Somerset section of 219 was in the news a few months back, and it was mentioned that bidding could start November of this year.
Wait, weren't there proposals to extend I-99 south to Cumberland along US 220? It would be a better terminus than Bedford, even for a horribly-misnumbered route.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

TheOneKEA

Quote from: Henry on March 24, 2014, 03:57:41 PM
Quote from: PAHighways on April 14, 2010, 11:39:52 PM

Wait, weren't there proposals to extend I-99 south to Cumberland along US 220? It would be a better terminus than Bedford, even for a horribly-misnumbered route.

Yes, there were. Maryland did some preparatory work by replacing Bedford Road (now secret MD 807) with a new, straight alignment that runs from the Mason-Dixon Line due south to a diamond interchange with MD 144 and I-68.

hbelkins

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 24, 2014, 12:25:37 PM

Yeah, I meant no lights between those two Interstates (which you note is no longer the case). I just didn't feel that level of specificity was needed. It's still a much easier ride than Pennsylvania's Interstates, though maybe not in the snow (I have not had reason to find out).

I drove US 50 between the two 'burgs late last summer. I had been across it at least twice before, but it was curvier and hillier than I remembered.

As to the nature of I-68, it's definitely more mountainous than the PA Turnpike. Of course, there's a lot less traffic than the turnpike, so that balances out a bit.

First time I was ever on the route was when it was still US 48, back in the early 1980s. It, along with I-70 between Hancock and Frederick, was crawling with Maryland state troopers. One would actually be standing behind an open door of his cruiser, holding a radar gun pointing at oncoming traffic, with several other cars ready to pursue and stop anyone the cop with the handheld targeted.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Bitmapped

There's also been a traffic light at Bridgeport Hill Road just west of I-79 for years.

WVDOH has a contract letting out to install a signal at US 50 and WV 18 by West Union this spring to replace the flasher there now.  I'm not really sure why since there are generally large gaps in traffic in US 50 and there isn't a ton of cross traffic.

bluecountry

Quote from: cpzilliacus on March 24, 2014, 02:56:13 PM
Quote from: bluecountry on March 23, 2014, 07:29:59 PM

I think that is associated with the New Baltimore Slide Remediation project.
Thanks, I think you are right.

Why though in comparing the PATP vs I-68 is I-68 so much more scenic and mountainous?
They are maybe 50 miles apart, both still in the Allegheny region, so how is it on I-68 you get a real feel of the hills, your ears pop, whereas the PATP you never really get that feeling?  By coincidence did the PATP happen to find the right section of the mountains with valleys and drops?

signalman

Quote from: bluecountry on March 29, 2014, 10:45:55 AM
Why though in comparing the PATP vs I-68 is I-68 so much more scenic and mountainous?
They are maybe 50 miles apart, both still in the Allegheny region, so how is it on I-68 you get a real feel of the hills, your ears pop, whereas the PATP you never really get that feeling?  By coincidence did the PATP happen to find the right section of the mountains with valleys and drops?
The oldest section of the PA Turnpike (the section that is north of I-68) was an abandoned railroad grade.  That's why is't relatively flat and straight.  As for scenery, well...beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  I find it scenic, but that's just me.

qguy

Quote from: signalman on March 29, 2014, 11:05:20 AM
The oldest section of the PA Turnpike (the section that is north of I-68) was an abandoned railroad grade.  That's why is't relatively flat and straight.

And low. It was designed to be as low in elevation as possible, so as to avoid the icy winter conditions that plagued US 30 between Harrisburg and Pittsburgh, which it replaced.

I'm guessing that the lower elevation is one of the biggest reasons you find the PA Turnpike less scenic: fewer big-ticket views.

dave19

hbelkins

I wonder if they will build this route as a limited-access interstate or as a four-lane surface route?

If the former, and with a few improvements to the US 250/WV 2 freeway south of Wheeling, I-68 could be extended to I-70, and it really would be the alternative route to Ohio and points west that Maryland advertises it to be.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

GCrites

Won't all the gas will be gone by the time this would be finished? Or they'll hit enough dry holes to quit even earlier.

seicer

This has been around for a decade or more. WVDOH had a page specifically on this project but was removed for a lack of activity. The state has more pressing needs - like finishing Corridor H, King Coal/Tulsia and Coalfields.

SP Cook

Sherman is right.  It has really been more like 3 decades or more.  There was a daft proposal for a toll road, back in the mid 80s.  Lasted about 4 seconds after somebody ran the projected traffic volumes. 

The area just west of Monongalia valley to just east of the Ohio valley is one of the most unpopulated (mainly because there is NOTHING THERE) places east of the Mississippi.  Other than allowing WVU fans from the dying panhandle to get to games without having to leave the state (but not cutting the actual driving time at all) this all serves no purpose at all.

ARMOURERERIC

So this would not present a free bypass alternative to 70 and the PA PIke?

Bitmapped

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on September 17, 2014, 10:23:43 PM
So this would not present a free bypass alternative to 70 and the PA PIke?
I-68/I-79 already serves as a free bypass of the Pennsylvania Turnpike.

Bitmapped

WV 7/US 250 is useless as a through corridor between Morgantown and the Northern Panhandle right now.  WV 7 is somewhat OK but US 250 is atrocious, especially between WV 7 and WV 891.  Rebuilt 2-lane roads would be more than adequate for the traffic and would provide a lot more connectivity than an I-68 extension ever would.

Henry

Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.