News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: hbelkins on January 16, 2023, 09:16:00 PM
My contributions were going to be "organic" and "non-GMO" foods.

Maybe according to science it's a scam (and I acknowledge nutritionally it probably is), but I can definitely taste a difference when I cook with locally raised and/or organic meats and produce compared to "conventional". Maybe it's just an unprovable placebo, but I believe care is an intangible thing you can taste.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Scott5114

Quote from: abefroman329 on January 17, 2023, 04:36:23 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 17, 2023, 04:01:51 PMDisagreement tends to be far more civil amongst people who actually know each other.
Hypothetical question unrelated to COVID and not directed at anyone in particular: Is it possible to hold a belief so abhorrent, it doesn't matter how civil you're being by advocating for it?

Sure you can. Source: I occasionally have to hear my dad's opinions.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

GaryV

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on January 17, 2023, 06:06:55 PM

Maybe according to science it's a scam (and I acknowledge nutritionally it probably is), but I can definitely taste a difference when I cook with locally raised and/or organic meats and produce compared to "conventional". Maybe it's just an unprovable placebo, but I believe care is an intangible thing you can taste.

The perceived quality is probably more related to "locally raised" than "organic".

And remember, arsenic is organic.

hbelkins

Quote from: GaryV on January 17, 2023, 06:35:37 PM

The perceived quality is probably more related to "locally raised" than "organic".

So is manure. My dad used manure mixed with hay/straw as a fertilizer often when he raised a garden.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Dirt Roads

Not quite, under either definition.  As an element, arsenic cannot contain carbon (a requirement for organic material).  For organic certification, the presence of certain natural occurring elements and chemicals such as arsenic and strychnine are also prohibited.  And historically, arsenic was used as one of the very first pesticides.

abefroman329

People who sneer at others' consumption choices.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 17, 2023, 06:08:25 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 17, 2023, 04:01:51 PMDisagreement tends to be far more civil amongst people who actually know each other.
Hypothetical question unrelated to COVID and not directed at anyone in particular: Is it possible to hold a belief so abhorrent, it doesn't matter how civil you're being by advocating for it?

Sure you can. Source: I occasionally have to hear my dad's opinions.

Similarly my Grandpa was like that.  Although he had a tendency to become uncivil if his beliefs (mostly the forcefully religious variety) began to be questioned and he got backed into a corner of logic.  Fair to note, his views were often inconsistent with the actual doctrine he was citing.

GaryV

Quote from: Dirt Roads on January 17, 2023, 07:55:39 PM

Not quite, under either definition.  As an element, arsenic cannot contain carbon (a requirement for organic material).  For organic certification, the presence of certain natural occurring elements and chemicals such as arsenic and strychnine are also prohibited.  And historically, arsenic was used as one of the very first pesticides.

I should have been more specific. Arsenic can be found in "organic" fruits, such as apples and pears.

JoePCool14

Yes, but I think that the "belief so abhorrent" is going to vary depending on who you ask.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

Scott5114

The new Wikipedia visual theme is shit. I'm giving it a week to see if it grows on me, but if not I'm going to change it back to the old one.

Its default settings commit the same user interface crime I see more and more often these days–that of blocking out vast swaths of the screen for empty space. It is claimed this is desirable because it makes lines of text shorter, which it is asserted is easier to read. This isn't a problem I need solved for me–I personally don't have a problem reading long lines of text, and if I did, I could just make the browser window smaller. (In fact, I already do: the left 20% or so of the screen is where I display a vertical list of the browser tabs, then the right 80% is the actual content.)

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kirbykart

Yes, I hated it too when I was looking at Wikipedia articles earlier today.

dlsterner

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 19, 2023, 05:03:19 PM
The new Wikipedia visual theme is shit. I'm giving it a week to see if it grows on me, but if not I'm going to change it back to the old one.

Its default settings commit the same user interface crime I see more and more often these days–that of blocking out vast swaths of the screen for empty space. It is claimed this is desirable because it makes lines of text shorter, which it is asserted is easier to read. This isn't a problem I need solved for me–I personally don't have a problem reading long lines of text, and if I did, I could just make the browser window smaller. (In fact, I already do: the left 20% or so of the screen is where I display a vertical list of the browser tabs, then the right 80% is the actual content.)

Yikes!  Just now went to Wikipedia to see what you meant ...  yeah, I'm not impressed.  I purposely make my browser windows large so that I can maximize the amount of content I see without scrolling.  Gee, thanks for filling up that extra space with emptiness so that I can see less content than before :/

SSOWorld

Quote from: J N Winkler on January 13, 2023, 06:51:04 PM
Quote from: kphoger on January 13, 2023, 06:22:49 PMMy wife has been knocked flat by an awful head cold lately, just had the fever break last night, and she's craving Jimmy John's but doesn't yet feel like going out.

Have you tested to be sure this cold isn't actually covid?
The latest variants are essentially common cold symtoms.  That's exactly what floored me in December and derailed all my plans for Christmas.  I exposed it to others on my work team though luckily (well not really) only one other contracted it off of me.  My brother gave it to me.  I survived without getting it for 1.75 years since its onset and felt lucky to get nothing but cold-like symptoms (minimal body temp rise, limited shortness of breath, no taste loss, but I was SHIVERING and I had to switch out with a co-worker while driving from a site visit because of the risk of crashing if my nausea got to me. I didn't see a positive test until returning home from the trip.  I went through at least 8 bottles of water during the trip.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

J N Winkler

Quote from: SSOWorld on January 19, 2023, 08:45:14 PMThe latest variants are essentially common cold symtoms.  That's exactly what floored me in December and derailed all my plans for Christmas.  I exposed it to others on my work team though luckily (well not really) only one other contracted it off of me.  My brother gave it to me.  I survived without getting it for 1.75 years since its onset and felt lucky to get nothing but cold-like symptoms (minimal body temp rise, limited shortness of breath, no taste loss, but I was SHIVERING and I had to switch out with a co-worker while driving from a site visit because of the risk of crashing if my nausea got to me. I didn't see a positive test until returning home from the trip.  I went through at least 8 bottles of water during the trip.

Covid really is no joke, even now that we are no longer immunologically naïve to it.

In the run-up to Christmas, a family member (fully up to date on the vaccine and boosters) contracted it from a work colleague.  Paxlovid helped, but the cold symptoms continued for about 10 days, and it took a total of 18 to test negative.  As the 48 hours before symptom onset included a gathering of friends at which most of the others present were aged 79 except for one man in his mid-80s and one woman in her early 90s, doing the exposure notifications was a ton of fun.  Fortunately none of them caught it.  As an asymptomatic close contact, I had to go back to masking up in public for the 10-day monitoring period.

One of our Christmas cards told us about my second cousin, who died of covid last August at the age of 60.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

ethanhopkin14

The older I get, the more I realize this thread shouldn't be for me.  Basically, everything annoys me now. 

zzcarp

Since I'm now commuting again, I get quite annoyed by the traffic light at CO 121 (Wadsworth Bypass) and Ralston Road in Arvada. At all times but mornings, NB CO 121 gets the left turn signal at the beginning of the cycle and SB CO 121 gets the left turn green at the end. However, for reasons I cannot understand, in the morning this flips so NB CO 121 gets the left turn green at the end of the green cycle and SB at the beginning. This change affects the through green light timing southbound and ensures that all traffic on SB Wadsworth stops to accommodate that NB left turn.
So many miles and so many roads

CtrlAltDel

There is evidence that food is less nutritious than it was in the past, which, if I recall correctly, is due to trying to get things grown as fast as possible, so if you're eating something that wasn't produced in such a way, whether organic or not, it might very well be tastier for similar reasons.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

abefroman329

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on January 20, 2023, 12:03:43 PM

There is evidence that food is less nutritious than it was in the past, which, if I recall correctly, is due to trying to get things grown as fast as possible, so if you're eating something that wasn't produced in such a way, whether organic or not, it might very well be tastier for similar reasons.
Organic milk definitely tastes better.  We don't really do many other organic foods.  I get a conventional turkey from Whole Foods for Thanksgiving, though, because I'm not feeding my family a turkey that's full of hormones and antibiotics.

1995hoo

What I've long found puzzling is that the "organic" milk at the grocery store (Horizon is the brand I know best) has a sell-by date that's usually a good month or so further in the future than the "regular" milk, which usually has a sell-by date of a week or so after the date when I see it in the store. I've always found that peculiar because "organic" would seem to imply fewer (or no) preservatives or other things you'd expect would give it a longer shelf life.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Big John

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 20, 2023, 12:09:58 PM
What I've long found puzzling is that the "organic" milk at the grocery store (Horizon is the brand I know best) has a sell-by date that's usually a good month or so further in the future than the "regular" milk, which usually has a sell-by date of a week or so after the date when I see it in the store. I've always found that peculiar because "organic" would seem to imply fewer (or no) preservatives or other things you'd expect would give it a longer shelf life.
Is it ultrapasturized?

abefroman329

I think that's partly the fact that it's organic and partly the packaging.  Half-gallons come in paper cartons, and gallons are in some sort of thicker plastic jug than the kind store-brand milk comes in.

Oberweis Dairy sells half-gallons of milk in glass bottles, I should see if those expiration dates are farther out as well.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: Big John on January 20, 2023, 12:19:29 PM
Is it ultrapasturized?

I always thought organic milk was still pasteurized, just no chemicals in it. 

hotdogPi

Minor things that bother you:

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on January 20, 2023, 01:14:12 PM
just no chemicals in it.

If there are no chemicals in it, what does it contain?
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

1995hoo

Minor annoyances of this afternoon:

I was just ripping some CDs and, like many other ripping applications, the software (which is not iTunes) accessed the Gracenote CD database. Whoever "organized" that thing left a lot to be desired. A two-disc album, such as Quadrophenia, is a single album. The "Discnumber" field should be populated according to the disc on which a given track appears ("The Real Me" is on disc one; "Love, Reign O'er Me" is on disc two). Instead, for some inexplicable reason, they treat each disc as a completely separate album with [Disc 1] or [Disc 2] appended to the album name. Song titles are also replete with spelling and capitalization errors (e.g., the Springsteen song is named "Born to Run," not "Born To Run") and the sorting is never set properly (e.g., Bruce Springsteen should sort under "S," not under "B"). So invariably one winds up spending half an hour or so using tag-editing software to clean up all the weirdness.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

dlsterner

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 22, 2023, 03:05:40 PM
Minor annoyances of this afternoon:

I was just ripping some CDs and, like many other ripping applications, the software (which is not iTunes) accessed the Gracenote CD database. Whoever "organized" that thing left a lot to be desired. A two-disc album, such as Quadrophenia, is a single album. The "Discnumber" field should be populated according to the disc on which a given track appears ("The Real Me" is on disc one; "Love, Reign O'er Me" is on disc two). Instead, for some inexplicable reason, they treat each disc as a completely separate album with [Disc 1] or [Disc 2] appended to the album name. Song titles are also replete with spelling and capitalization errors (e.g., the Springsteen song is named "Born to Run," not "Born To Run") and the sorting is never set properly (e.g., Bruce Springsteen should sort under "S," not under "B"). So invariably one winds up spending half an hour or so using tag-editing software to clean up all the weirdness.

I can be a stickler for things like this as well.  Many times I have found myself hand-editing the track names and disc numbers, especially with double CD albums (like your Quadrophenia example) which should be a single "album" with two "disc"s.

Although as far as sorting, I suppose there has to be a manual adjustment - otherwise how do you know to sort Bruce Springsteen under "S" and not "B", but know to sort Pink Floyd under "P" and not "F".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.