News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHighwayMan3561

I suppose one way around the honorifics could be addressing the person as "Candidate (Last Name)" or "(Job Title) (Last Name)".

I remember when I got to college and the vast majority of professors (except for a few sticklers with PhD titles, but not even everyone who could legally be called Dr.) wanted to go by first names regardless of their department.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

1995hoo

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on August 25, 2023, 04:57:49 PM
I suppose one way around the honorifics could be addressing the person as "Candidate (Last Name)" or "(Job Title) (Last Name)".

I remember when I got to college and the vast majority of professors (except for a few sticklers with PhD titles, but not even everyone who could legally be called Dr.) wanted to go by first names regardless of their department.

Wow. I never felt I knew any professor well enough to use a first name. At UVA, it's not traditional to use "Dr." or "Professor" except as to MDs (the reasons go back to Thomas Jefferson's time), and at least in my day every professor was "Mr." or "Ms." with the exception of Gerald Fogarty, who is a Jesuit and so was addressed as Fr. Fogarty. In law school all the professors were addressed as "Professor [last name]."
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

roadman65

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 25, 2023, 05:11:34 PM

Wow. I never felt I knew any professor well enough to use a first name. At UVA, it's not traditional to use "Dr." or "Professor" except as to MDs (the reasons go back to Thomas Jefferson's time), and at least in my day every professor was "Mr." or "Ms." with the exception of Gerald Fogarty, who is a Jesuit and so was addressed as Fr. Fogarty. In law school all the professors were addressed as "Professor [last name]."

Tell that one to Jill Biden :bigass:
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

1995hoo

Quote from: roadman65 on August 25, 2023, 05:12:53 PM

Tell that one to Jill Biden :bigass:

As far as I know, she's never taught at the University of Virginia, so it's not really an issue.

Although I have a J.D., so maybe I should insist on being called "Doctor." J.D. stands for Joke Doctor, right? Like Ph.D. stands for Phony Doctor?
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

TheHighwayMan3561

My guess is that when I got to college in 2009, there was probably beginning to be a view that college students are legal adults in the real world, and that college professors do not carry the authority of grade school teachers nor do they have the same responsibility for their students. Even still there were more than a few teachers I knew in HS who didn't necessarily care about being addressed as "Mr./Mrs. _______" other than that school policy required it.

When I got to college I addressed people as "Professor ________" because that was what I knew. That got smacked down quickly.

TheHighwayMan3561

Recently Apple apparently introduced a feature designed to recognize written text in photos, which is annoying because if someone sends me a photo of handwritten notes or something, instead of zooming in on the photo when I double tap the screen so I can read what's written it highlights the text instead.

jakeroot

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on August 25, 2023, 06:14:31 PM
Recently Apple apparently introduced a feature designed to recognize written text in photos, which is annoying because if someone sends me a photo of handwritten notes or something, instead of zooming in on the photo when I double tap the screen so I can read what's written it highlights the text instead.

On the flip-side, the feature has been a god-send for me living in a country dominated by non-Latin characters. I can take a picture of almost anything, and grab the text from the photo. Google Translate is very useful for most things, but sometimes I need to write down what I'm looking at (in Japanese), rather than just translate it, a feature not supported by Google.

dlsterner

Getting back to sorting band names, one that could be interesting to handle would be Jethro Tull.  There was a real person with that name, but he lived like 300 years ago and obviously had nothing to do with the band.  But could you ever see the band being sorted as "Tull, Jethro"?

mgk920

Quote from: dlsterner on August 26, 2023, 01:00:51 AM
Getting back to sorting band names, one that could be interesting to handle would be Jethro Tull.  There was a real person with that name, but he lived like 300 years ago and obviously had nothing to do with the band.  But could you ever see the band being sorted as "Tull, Jethro"?

Or the newer Greta Van Fleet.

Mike

flan

Or Max Webster. The band wasn't named after a person unlike Tull or GVF, but undoubtedly there are people with that name.

hbelkins

Quote from: flan on August 26, 2023, 02:13:39 PM
Or Max Webster. The band wasn't named after a person unlike Tull or GVF, but undoubtedly there are people with that name.

"Skynyrd, Lynyrd."

I never could get used to calling college professors or instructors by anything other than title and last name. I still call my high school and elementary school teachers "Mr." or "Mrs." instead of by their first name. It's a measure of respect generally, and even more so today as I still hold them in very high regard. (With one exception; my third-grade teacher. I called her "Grandmother.")

My junior year of college, we had a new journalism faculty member come aboard who had a doctorate. My first instinct was to refer to him as "Dr. Dandeneau" but he pushed back on that, preferring instead to be referred to as "Dick." (His first name was Richard.) I was still uncomfortable with referring to someone in a position of respect and seniority by their first name, so I started referring to him as "Dr. D." That name stuck and from that point on, everyone referred to him in that manner.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

DTComposer

Or a band who has one of their member's names in their official name: Lewis, Huey and the News.

mgk920

Or bands that creatively call themselves '(Blank) and the (Blank)s'.  (Maybe that is a good name for a new band. :nod: )

Mike

formulanone

Quote from: mgk920 on August 28, 2023, 12:42:05 PM
Or bands that creatively call themselves '(Blank) and the (Blank)s'.  (Maybe that is a good name for a new band. :nod: )

Mike

It's a never-ending well of band names, though.

The Toenails and the Fungus
Folded Map and the Papercuts
The Budget Cuts and the Labelscar (The Labelscars were never the same after half the band had creative differences.)

ZLoth

The fact that I cannot filter television listings or streaming channels by their primary language. Mind you, my programming preferences is as follows:

• English language programming
  • Foreign language programming with English subtitles
  • Foreign programming with good English dubs
  • Foreign programming with bad English dubs
  • Home Shopping Zone and Religious channels
As you can imagine, in the DFW media market, there is multiple English and Spanish language channels as well as a Viet and Korean broadcast channels. Now, I have no interest in the Spanish channels since it would be a unreasonable expectation for the broadcaster to put in English subtitles and annoy their primary-Spanish speaking audience (plus, it may be a rights limitation) much like I would be annoyed if Spanish subtitles were on a English-language broadcast. Can I easily filter those channels out? Nope, just create a favorites list.
Why does "END ROAD WORK" sound like it belongs on a protest sign?

D-Dey65

Who here has tried to click out of webpages only for their PC's to restrict your ability to do so? My mother got a page supposedly from Google Chrome that she can neither right click nor left click out of.  I've been in far too many instances like this myself.

Scott5114

Quote from: D-Dey65 on September 03, 2023, 10:28:47 PM
Who here has tried to click out of webpages only for their PC's to restrict your ability to do so? My mother got a page supposedly from Google Chrome that she can neither right click nor left click out of.  I've been in far too many instances like this myself.

This is not the PC doing it, it is the website instructing the browser to disable the right-click event. This is intended to be used when the site wants to override the browser's right-click behavior, for example by displaying a custom right-click menu. Unfortunately, some sites disable right-click just to be an asshole (often because they want to restrict the ability to download files). Accordingly, I have a browser extension installed that tells the browser to ignore the "override right click" instruction.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

D-Dey65

In this case, they wanted to force her to download something. Luckily, she claimed she managed to get off of that page.

In the meantime, I just found out that a certain roadside restaurant on US 301 in Stony Creek, Virginia was closed.
https://www.google.com/maps/@36.948438,-77.3927821,3a,75y,242.15h,82.25t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s6JYJwW64IC7NOekzuqLyzQ!2e0!5s20130801T000000!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en&entry=ttu

kphoger

Mosquitoes that get you through your clothes!
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kkt

When people tie closed the thin bags for produce in the grocery store.  They don't untie easily once the bag is gathered up and tied and I have to use scissors.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on September 14, 2023, 06:04:04 PM
Mosquitoes that get you through your clothes!

Speaking of, if there's a record for longest-lasting mosquito bite, I'm in contention. I got one on Memorial Day (110 days ago!!) that's still visible on my forearm.

thspfc

Are mosquitoes legitimately the worst physical thing that exists on the planet? It's an abstract question but a real one.

Most things, you can understand the benefit of it and the reason why it exists (beyond "it survived and evolved because it learned to be an annoying and deadly prick" ). The only benefit of mosquitoes is that they feed other species, most of whom have diverse diets anyway. If mosquitoes went extinct tomorrow the world would be a better place.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: thspfc on September 15, 2023, 09:57:46 PM
Are mosquitoes legitimately the worst physical thing that exists on the planet? It's an abstract question but a real one.

Most things, you can understand the benefit of it and the reason why it exists (beyond "it survived and evolved because it learned to be an annoying and deadly prick" ). The only benefit of mosquitoes is that they feed other species, most of whom have diverse diets anyway. If mosquitoes went extinct tomorrow the world would be a better place.

The only things we find to be a worse nuisance are greenhead flies.  They live in the marshes near the ocean, and when there's a landbreeze, those things come out biting, and there isn't a damn thing that'll keep them off you.  And they'll even draw blood with their bites.

Rothman

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 15, 2023, 10:42:41 PM

The only things we find to be a worse nuisance are greenhead flies.  They live in the marshes near the ocean, and when there's a landbreeze, those things come out biting, and there isn't a damn thing that'll keep them off you.  And they'll even draw blood with their bites.

Drawing blood is the least of it.  I've had them remove chunks of my skin.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

mgk920

Quote from: Rothman on September 16, 2023, 11:47:02 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 15, 2023, 10:42:41 PM

Drawing blood is the least of it.  I've had them remove chunks of my skin.

This makes my even more happy that I live here in the upper Great Lakes area - Yes, mosquitoes can be a real annoyance, and ticks and biting horseflies can be a problem in the northwoods, but overall it's not bad.

:nod:

Mike

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.