News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

AARoads: Gothic vs. Clearview Page

Started by corco, February 12, 2009, 10:41:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mightyace

Quote from: J N Winkler on May 28, 2009, 06:37:20 PM
*  99-011-RC1U-C:  Truck rollover signs plus guide signing for Exit 31 (Lansdale), Exit 44 (Quakertown), Exit 95 (Pocono), Exit 105 (Wilkes-Barre), Exit 115 (Wyoming Valley) (all but the first of these exits being on the Northeast Extension)

All of those exits are on the Northeast Extension. Exit 31 is the first exit on the extension north of I-276 and has the distinction of being the only exit on the turnpike to keep its number when converting over to mileage-based exit numbers. [The sequential numbering system had 1-30 for the main pike and 31-39 for the extension.]

I drove through exits 31, 44, and 95 on the NE extension just over two weeks ago.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

J N Winkler

Yup--my mistake--the plans included a sign reading "[I-276] 9 MI" and I read "276" as "279."
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

exit322

Looks like I-77 between CAK and Akron is getting new signs with Clearview.

codyg1985

There are some BGS signs on I-65 in North Alabama that now use Clearview.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

froggie

QuoteYes.  PTC practice, which is followed in only a few PennDOT districts at the moment, is to use Clearview for all text legend except route marker digits.

Either they're contractor errors, or a few PennDOT districts are starting to use Clearview for standalone route shields now too.  Don't recall where offhand, but I have a few photo examples back at the house.

J N Winkler

It's possible the contractors have been fabricating the signs as drawn.  There have been a few PennDOT signing plans with Clearview route marker digits, though this error is still pretty uncommon.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

PAHighways

Quote from: froggie on June 04, 2009, 06:40:27 AMEither they're contractor errors, or a few PennDOT districts are starting to use Clearview for standalone route shields now too.  Don't recall where offhand, but I have a few photo examples back at the house.

I have pictures from ones around Columbia and saw some back in March in Adams County.

PAHighways

Quote from: J N Winkler on June 04, 2009, 07:20:25 AMIt's possible the contractors have been fabricating the signs as drawn.

The type of signs Froggie is talking about have no PennDOT logo at the bottom that I recall.  So they could have come from anywhere since Harrisburg usually brands their creations.  There are numerous examples of this contractor signage near me like white-on-blue and red-on-white information signage and irregularly-shapped US and PA shields.

J N Winkler

Quote from: PAHighways on June 04, 2009, 01:25:10 PMThe type of signs Froggie is talking about have no PennDOT logo at the bottom that I recall.  So they could have come from anywhere since Harrisburg usually brands their creations.  There are numerous examples of this contractor signage near me like white-on-blue and red-on-white information signage and irregularly-shapped US and PA shields.

I hadn't read Froggie's post closely and assumed he was talking about guide-sign shields.  This is an example of what I had in mind (District 1 in this case):

NJRoadfan

A note about the New Jersey entry. NJDOT is NOT using Clearview from what I've seen. The blurry example provided looks like a traffic light street sign installed by Somerset County DPW. They have been using a Clearview like font (it might actually be Transport Medium) for a few years in that application. NJDOT (along with the NJ Turnpike Authority) has stuck with the current FHWA fonts on their overhead signs.

JMoses24

On I-75/71 in Covington, Kentucky, there is new exit signage for exit 191 that uses the new Clearview. I'll try to snap a picture of it later this weekend...

ctsignguy

One clarification if i may....

Jeff at the ConnDOT Sign Shop did tell me that while Clearview is being implemented on future signage, that the signs on the Merritt Parkway are NOT done in Clearview, but a similar (different) font developed specifically for the Merritt...
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

bugo

WIDTH = 800!!

Quote from: JMoses24 on July 02, 2009, 07:54:06 PM
On I-75/71 in Covington, Kentucky, there is new exit signage for exit 191 that uses the new Clearview. I'll try to snap a picture of it later this weekend...

Courtesy of Tim Brown:

codyg1985

Quote from: bugo on July 26, 2009, 06:02:17 PM
WIDTH = 800!!

Quote from: JMoses24 on July 02, 2009, 07:54:06 PM

Courtesy of Tim Brown:

Is that sign in Ohio? Mile marker in the middle shows that it is just north of the Ohio River.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

JMoses24

That's I-75/71 just south of the merge in Cincinnati. I believe KYTC installed it.

I'm thinking KYTC is going through as they replace signs, and implementing the Clearview font. There are Clearview font signs at two additional locations:

*The Exit 189 gore point sign (northbound only) is Clearview and was probably done at the same time as the new signs for exit 191
*Destination signs for exit 178 (KY 536/Mt Zion Road) are Clearview as well (specifically, the signs for Gateway Community/Technical College's Boone County campus)

exit322

Looks like it's in Ohio, but I'm pretty sure those are KY-supplied signs.  Ohio rarely, if ever, uses ALLCAPS in anything like the "5th STREET" on that sign.

algorerhythms

A minor comment about that page: in MD Clearview is also used on some non-interstate highways as new signs are put up (an example is on U.S. 40 Alternate in LaVale, where all the signs that were replaced during construction were replaced with Clearview signs).

underorbit

Just took a trip to the Canadian Maritimes. Nova Scotia seems to be implementing Clearview on all new highway signs, but I don't remember seeing any in New Brunswick or Prince Edward Island.

Also, there is at least one Clearview sign in Vermont, on I-91, stating "Brattleboro Next 2 Exits."

myosh_tino

Quote from: AARoads on February 13, 2009, 12:30:01 PM
Well it does display "a few exceptions are found", though I guess I could elaborate and say "only in Orange County on the 5"
I just read your entry regarding California on the Gothic vs Clearview Page.  As far as I know California is not currently using Clearview on any guide signs although it has been approved for future use.  IMO, the entry should read "No, though a few exceptions are found: I-5 in Orange County, city street signs"?
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

US71

QuoteOklahoma uses Clearview statewide, on all new BGSes, as far as I know.

For the most part, yes. But I saw numerous examples this past weekend where the BGS's are Clearview, but the Exit gore signs are still FHWA on both the Muskogee & Cimarron Turnpikes.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Alex

I've received a couple of emails with updates recently on new areas that now Clearview now. Would anyone like to compile a new list for me to use to bring the font page up to date? Or, given that Clearview is more widely used now, should I bother to keep the page going?

Crazy Volvo Guy

Alabama is now using Clearview on all signs statewide.

There are some new Clearview BGSs here in the Shoals as well as a ton in Birmingham.
I hate Clearview, because it looks like a cheap Chinese ripoff.

I'm for the Red Sox and whoever's playing against the Yankees.

national highway 1

I've seen on Steve Alpert's site & on Street View that Clearview has been installed on new signs in Hawaii (I mean Oahu).
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

jdb1234

Quote from: US-43|72 on May 11, 2010, 05:09:12 AM
Alabama is now using Clearview on all signs statewide.

There are some new Clearview BGSs here in the Shoals as well as a ton in Birmingham.

You mean like this:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.