AARoads: Gothic vs. Clearview Page

Started by corco, February 12, 2009, 10:41:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex

It is starting to appear in Mobile and Baldwin too. There is much more of it in Iowa and Illinois now, and Ohio is using it more and more as well. Throw in Arkansas, Texas, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and its pretty much everywhere.

The question to be asked now, where is it not used? In Florida, its only used by the OOCEA.

Louisiana is using it now, Maryland, Delaware, Virginia too. North Carolina? I don't think yet, nor South Carolina.

The Dakotas? Montana?

Really its only a matter of time before it pervades everywhere. I likely will decommission the page on Clearview vs. Highway Gothic, as its so prevalent now.

Brandon

Indiana does not use Clearview yet as far as I have seen.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

froggie

tdindy88

Quote from: Brandon on May 12, 2010, 08:05:30 AM
Indiana does not use Clearview yet as far as I have seen.

I have actually seen what appears to be Clearview on a few street signs in Downtown Indianapolis, and I think Plainfield uses it in a few locations. However, INDOT does not use Clearview and appears as if they won't in the foreseeable future, it's still very foreign to us.

mightyace

The only Clearview that I've seen in Tennessee are the street signs on traffic lights in Franklin, TN.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

huskeroadgeek

I haven't seen it at all in Nebraska. It's still very rare in Iowa, Kansas and Missouri too, even though it apparently does exist in a few places.

Tarkus

No Clearview in Oregon yet that I've seen, though ODOT has been doing a lot of experiments with FHWA Series C on recent signs.  The City of Gresham has been using it across the board on all signal-mounted street signs for a while now, too.

-Alex (Tarkus)

huskeroadgeek

I just saw my first instance of it in Iowa yesterday. I was only in Iowa briefly(IA 2 and I-29 S. into Missouri), but the last exit on I-29 South(Exit 1-IA 333 Hamburg) is in Clearview. Exit 10, the exit for IA 2 is not Clearview as of yet, but there is a sign for an Iowa Welcome Center at the exit that is.

hbelkins

I saw quite a bit in Iowa during my travels there last week. Not only is it on interstate guide signs, but on mileage signs on surface routes.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Alex

Updated with personal observations and responses from above. Any other changes or corrections, please post them here.

mightyace

The city of Franklin, TN is using Clearview for street signs.

Shall I send you some and/or post some?
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Dr Frankenstein

Here are the current uses of Clearview in Quebec that I know of:

In most cases, only the legends are in Clearview, not the exit numbers or distances. In some other cases, however, Clearview is used for those too. Clearview is, probably like everywere else, never used on shields.

A-10 in Magog
A-13 in Dorval
A-20 in Montréal between St-Pierre interchange (QC-138) and Turcot interchange (A-15/A-720) (the reversed section)
A-20 in and around Saint-Hyacinthe, as well as some other sparse places between Montréal and Québec
A-25
A few assemblies on A-40 in Montréal
A-40 in Québec City

Street name signs in Laval.

Sparse use of Clearview on road construction signs.

WillWeaverRVA

FYI: the font on the example image for Louisiana isn't Clearview.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Alex

Quote from: SyntheticDreamer on October 26, 2010, 08:13:07 PM
FYI: the font on the example image for Louisiana isn't Clearview.

I have photos of freeway guide signs along Interstate 20 done in Clearview, but think I will discontinue the example images section. We all know now it looks the same regardless of state.  :pan:

jemacedo9

New York state - at least Western NY - is NOT converting to Clearview.  There have been BGS replacement projects on I-86, I-390 and US 15 in the Southern Tier, and also I-390, NY 390 and I-490, all in the Rochester area - in all cases in 2009 and 2010, and NONE were in Clearview.

Alps

NYSDOT only converts when forced.  So that's why they held out with sequential exit numbers until now.  Until FHWA Gothic is retired, that's all you'll see.

Ian

Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on October 26, 2010, 09:57:05 AM
Here are the current uses of Clearview in Quebec that I know of:

In most cases, only the legends are in Clearview, not the exit numbers or distances. In some other cases, however, Clearview is used for those too. Clearview is, probably like everywere else, never used on shields.

A-10 in Magog
A-13 in Dorval
A-20 in Montréal between St-Pierre interchange (QC-138) and Turcot interchange (A-15/A-720) (the reversed section)
A-20 in and around Saint-Hyacinthe, as well as some other sparse places between Montréal and Québec
A-25
A few assemblies on A-40 in Montréal
A-40 in Québec City

Street name signs in Laval.

Sparse use of Clearview on road construction signs.

How much longer before Quebec becomes entirely clearviewized? I hope there are still plenty of FHWA font signs the next time I head back there, which may not be until December of 2011.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Dr Frankenstein

I have no idea, but I don't think they're actively replacing all the signs... only the ones that need to be replaced because of wear and age, etc. There still are blue signs on A-10 from back when it was a toll route...

agentsteel53

Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on October 27, 2010, 08:56:58 PM
There still are blue signs on A-10 from back when it was a toll route...

and some of them are definitely showing the wear and tear.  There's a few blue signs that still have the Autoroute des Cantones Est shield!
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Ian

Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on October 27, 2010, 08:56:58 PM
I have no idea, but I don't think they're actively replacing all the signs... only the ones that need to be replaced because of wear and age, etc. There still are blue signs on A-10 from back when it was a toll route...

Phew... I really don't mind the more modern FHWA font guide signs with the wide shield design. I'd also like to go see the remaining blue signs in person some day.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Alps

Alps

Hey Alex, to update your Clearview page - you have NJ as "Yes, in Bridgewater."  The correct answer would be "Yes, Somerset County and Union County, but only on county roads." 

Dougtone

Quote from: jemacedo9 on October 26, 2010, 10:41:37 PM
New York state - at least Western NY - is NOT converting to Clearview.  There have been BGS replacement projects on I-86, I-390 and US 15 in the Southern Tier, and also I-390, NY 390 and I-490, all in the Rochester area - in all cases in 2009 and 2010, and NONE were in Clearview.

My understanding is that it's NYSDOT policy to continue using the FHWA font until Clearview is the only required font by the MUTCD.  However, Clearview is not absent from New York's roadways, as the Thruway Authority, NYCDOT and the Westchester County DPW has been known to post signs using the Clearview font.

hbelkins

Quote from: Dougtone on January 07, 2011, 07:48:21 PM

My understanding is that it's NYSDOT policy to continue using the FHWA font until Clearview is the only required font by the MUTCD.  However, Clearview is not absent from New York's roadways, as the Thruway Authority, NYCDOT and the Westchester County DPW has been known to post signs using the Clearview font.

I'm not positive, but I think I've seen some of the "Erie Canal Heritage Corridor" (or whatever the exact verbiage of the sign is) in Clearview on non-Thruway routes.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

cu2010

Correct- but those may have been erected by NYSTA, as the canal is maintained by NYSTA's Canal Recreationway Commission.
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.